The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

hey nice caves! I at first thought it was ET in a little garden, but apparently not.

There is a chance it could be Muizenberg caves, which has a cache there by Larks - or used to. but wait, thats on thre wrong side of slivermine, so i guess not!

Edited by Discombob

The cacher says he hiked up the mountain from Hout Bay and then his photo description states:

"cool caves we stumbled across these awesome caves on top of the mountian wiht the radio tower on top. way cool."

Sounds like Constantiaberg. But, we have never come across caves up there and none of our hiking maps show any.

Hopefully someone can help - google didn't.

:)CnC are correc t they are on Constantiaberg - have been there a while ago - as I remember it - where the path to the peak overlooking Hout Bay goes to the left just after the end of the fence around the mast, etc. you carry on straight and the cave is around that corner on the right. They also face in the direction of HB, but there is a valley between the caves and the lookout peak where the Constantia Berg cache is. :D
where the path to the peak overlooking Hout Bay goes to the left just after the end of the fence around the mast, etc. you carry on straight and the cave is around that corner on the right. They also face in the direction of HB, but there is a valley between the caves and the lookout peak where the Constantia Berg cache is. laughing.gif

So Tom, want to show me sometime and place a cache there?

CnC made a suggestion to me:

How about using this (or another) thread to notify all cachers in the W/Cape of intended walks or unofficial get togethers.

Refer all new/ interested cachers to this thread (or another "walking in the Western Cape" or "Going cacahing, want to come along? " thread) to prevent the person wanting others to come along on a walk from having them to email everyone individually via the GC website profiles.

(For those who don't know) Threads can be "Tracked" by clicking Options (top right of 1st post) > Track this topic > and them choose how often you want to be notified about new posts on the thread.

I think its a good idea? Let me know what you think.

I think 2 threads, one for general discussion of stuff in the w/cape, and another specifically for walks & get togethers. :laughing:

Personally, I am in favour of a single thread. If you decide otherwise, it won't phase me either!

But let me actually say; a great initiative, I believe it will add a little bit more enthusiasm to the sport and change most people's geocaching experiences from solo endeavours to pleasant friendly outings!!

I am keen to see what people have in store.

See ya'

Hi y'all

I managed to hold the Geocacher's name high by finding Cape Union Mart's first reindeer!!

If you don't know what I am talking about then checkout: www.findthereindeer.co.za

Go to the news story of the first find and see the timeline, it was crazy fast!!

Also if you are on Facebook, then search for the reindeer called; Larst Knut ;)) He has lots of stories already.

See ya'

Ian

Ai jislaaik Discombob - I walked from Vernazza to Corniglia - about 7km or so through ancient terraced olive groves - what a beautiful area to be in!

and can you beleive it there are no caches on the route ;)

But enough in Florence to keep me going!

Well done on the reindeer find Ian!!

I have set them on camps bay beach as my desktop :)

Well done Ian on the Reindeer!

Sneaky though to only tell us about the competition AFTER you find it! :unsure:

I was under the impression that all geocachers knew, as the marketing guy from Cape Union Mart sent a mass email out to all (apparently not, though) of us.

I will forward it to you!

The competiton is still running, with 2 more in the Western Cape coming up. Go check www.findthereindeer.co.za

:D

I have checked out the above mentioned website, but can't find any mention of how many reindeer per provinces there are. How do you know that there are 2 left for the western cape?

Hi, I heard from a friend of a friend. There are nine in South Africa and three overseas. I believe that there will definately be at least one more close to Cape Town. The friend of mine missed Sunday's reindeer, as he ended up on Nursery Butress 50 horizontal m's from the find, but 200 vertical m's as well!

All fun and games...

Curses, I am in a rainy Italy :)

Caching in Florence is really tough. The streets are so narrow and walls so high, you basically have to find a plaza somewhere to get reception, and then guess the next 2-300 m from that, and with the windy streets, it don't work out so well!

At least the amaretto mousse ice cream makes up for that!

Discombob - forget about caching - you are in Florence. Go to the piazzas (with that Sea god, I forget the name), go to the art galleries and see David's nuts in real life (I suppose life is not the word, but you know what I mean), and that famous church - and learn some Italian (or just bull**it your way through). I'm jealous - I'll have to go back and resurrect my memory as I sure won't get there in the near future! Life is tough as an expat earning pounds...

Edited by the pooks

Hey but the point of geocaching is its supposed to take one to all these great places anyway!

Strangely, it doesnt seem to do all of that here but takes you to some weird back alleys, where people piss on grass to turn it purple and then make dye from it!

But dont be silly, I have seen the sea god and his piazzas, seen davids nuts, been up the famous dome (fantasic), didnt buy jewelery on the ponte veccio, eaten gelato at regular intervals and have been learning italian for the last 3 weeks, but find I tend to speak spanish instead!

And i have 4 solid days of more rain coming up :)

Watch out in Florence... we really got ripped off big time there a few years ago!! Hope you didn't use a camera flash anywhere near David's nuts - because that is definitely a 'no-no ' - watched as tourists were told off by the authorities. We were fortunate enough to visit at about 11pm at night, after all the hordes of visitors had left - only two or three flash crazy Americans were still there!!

So who will find our poor reindeer now?

Edited by cownchicken

Hi there all Western Cape Cachers,

We have a newsletter that we have been sending to a few Western Cape cachers for more than a year. We have also forwarded these to some of our geocaching friends in other provinces.

If you would like to receive this news letter in the future, we have gone onto a subscribers only blog, and you would have to forward your direct e-mail address to us to be added to our list.

Hopefully you will all watch this Blog for group outings to do caches such as - 'Heksietoringtand', 'On top old Smokey' AND 'Point of no return!!! ' Not to mention - Getowerdekop & Tower cache! - If you want to organise such an outing, please let us know on The Fynbos Finders or on the Cape Finds blog.

We must make a special mention of caches in our own back yard that were found by an Eastern Cape couple (in their 60's) - the Outeniqua caches! Well done i-Pajero - you are an inspiration to us all!...... and as our good friend Matata says: :D:laughing:

Matata Aug 11 2008, 01:04 PM Post #37

It was my pleasure!!!

Thanks for joining in and well done to all of you. Battlerat for spotting the FTF's, Cownchicken for showing us that caching starts on the other side of 50!

Maybe it is the other side of 60!

Edited by cownchicken

Watch out in Florence... we really got ripped off big time there a few years ago!! Hope you didn't use a camera flash anywhere near David's nuts - because that is definitely a 'no-no ' - watched as tourists were told off by the authorities. We were fortunate enough to visit at about 11pm at night, after all the hordes of visitors had left - only two or three flash crazy Americans were still there!!

So who will find our poor reindeer now?

err what must I watch out for. How were you rippped off?

No you cant take any photos near David now, flash or no flash. I went early in the morning, and was also the only one there!

i just missed waist high floods in venice by 5 hours! lucky me!

does that mean you have a new edition of the cape finds out now on your blog?

Frodo's Journey : planninng a maintenance expedition to this cache on Tues 16th December. Start 0700 at the lower cable station. We already have a couple of cachers going. Any others are welcome to join.

The current plan is to go up India Venster, do the traverse and go down Yellowstone Gully. If you have a large chest that has sagged a bit, you might have trouble squeezing through (I won't mention names).

There is some scrambling and exposure to heights involved.

WASH HOUSES IN NEED OF A CITO

I've been to the wash houses area above Vredehoek a few times lately and have been somewhat disappointed that this beautiful quiet area seems to be inhabited by casuals and is in urgent need of a cleanup in certain areas.

I have several questions:

1. The inhabited by casuals part is a potentially loaded statement. It is so that these individuals may have nowhere else to live, so it might be harsh to insist on action to remove them. Maybe one should turn a blind eye (if that is not happening already)

2. I am tempted to suggest this as a venue for a CITO in April (I understand that it is an annual institution for GC), but the task might be too big and smelly for a morning excercise. Does anyone know whether there are municiplal procedures/channels that can be followed to have something done about the area, or is there someone out there who can give us more details? This project might be more involved and complicated that what I think, so maybe someone who has more insight can comment.

I was impressed by work done by local residents to the upper Liesbeeck river to tidy it up and make it a pleasant destination, and was wondering whether something similar can be done here. I live too far away to get seriously involved.

WASH HOUSES IN NEED OF A CITO

I've been to the wash houses area above Vredehoek a few times lately and have been somewhat disappointed that this beautiful quiet area seems to be inhabited by casuals and is in urgent need of a cleanup in certain areas.

I have several questions:

1. The inhabited by casuals part is a potentially loaded statement. It is so that these individuals may have nowhere else to live, so it might be harsh to insist on action to remove them. Maybe one should turn a blind eye (if that is not happening already)

2. I am tempted to suggest this as a venue for a CITO in April (I understand that it is an annual institution for GC), but the task might be too big and smelly for a morning excercise. Does anyone know whether there are municiplal procedures/channels that can be followed to have something done about the area, or is there someone out there who can give us more details? This project might be more involved and complicated that what I think, so maybe someone who has more insight can comment.

I was impressed by work done by local residents to the upper Liesbeeck river to tidy it up and make it a pleasant destination, and was wondering whether something similar can be done here. I live too far away to get seriously involved.

I don't know the location, nor the extent of the problem, but I'm 110% supportive of any CITO initiative.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help in any way. :laughing:

Hi Laurence,

Apologies for the delay in replying but I’ve not been keeping an eye on my email much this week.

A CITO can be held on any day of the year, but Larks and I have always tried to coincide ours with International CITO Weekend, which I think is usually the 3rd weekend in April. You can check the events calendar on the geocaching website, or on the CITO website, to confirm the dates (probably 18 & 19 April). I won’t be arranging one this year again, so feel free to grab the gap and arrange something.

The first CITO we held was at Silvermine, and Larks did all the negotiation with SANParks. However, I suspect that not many organisations would object to a group of civic-minded folk picking up trash, as long as the area is not ecologically sensitive, e.g. endangered plants and the like. If there is a large amount of trash to be collected, it is helpful to contact the managing body to try to arrange collection with them.

Cachers are a notoriously hungry bunch and won’t gather in large numbers unless there’s the reward of a plate of grub (preferably breakfast, although brunch is also a popular option), so what I did the last two years was find a suitable eatery close to the CITO location that could accommodate a group of 20 -30 people, and negotiated from that standpoint.

The CITO’s that I arranged were also out of my area, especially the last one in Pringle Bay, so I had to make a trip or two to finalise the breakfast details. It’s a good idea to set a cut-off date for reservations, but there will always be people who will pitch up on the day and decide at the last minute to eat. Having said that, though, arranging a meal is not obligatory. Folk can always drift off in groups and do their own eating elsewhere.

We’ve also tried in the past to get companies such as CUM and the like (and individuals) to sponsor lucky draw prizes for attendees, which has worked quite well. I’ve always thought it would be a good idea if we could set up an overseeing body, such as a Western Cape Chapter of Geocaching South Africa, to liaise with the press, retailers, SANParks and the like, to promote and sponsor prizes for events. Perhaps now that the number of geocachers is increasing it may be time to think about something like that. Just a thought.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Edited by Goofster

Hey folks, Just to let you know that another wedding has struck, so I will be in Sa from 12May to 3 June, so be sure to save some time for hiking up TM!

And it better not be raining all the time again, or there will be trouble!

Hey, that's good news! How about a TM climb event cache? :P

Hey folks, Just to let you know that another wedding has struck, so I will be in Sa from 12May to 3 June, so be sure to save some time for hiking up TM!

And it better not be raining all the time again, or there will be trouble!

Hey, that's good news! How about a TM climb event cache? :)

well, then a lot of folks might not come if its too much like hard work, so I'll set up a normal one and have an informal TM hike

I am so bleak...

I was supposed to be in Cape town this weekend for a bit. This walk would've been just the thing. But alas, something came up and I sit here at work.

Would have been nice to meet some of the Capetonian Cachers who navigate by means of their GPS, and their mountain ;)

Have fun folks...