The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

News of a Balrog stirring in the deeps is causing the fellowship to break apart. A party of two is fragmenting to examine the stirrings in the Mines of Moria. Capeccr will lead the one group into Mordor. Capedoc will delve into the mines. More support in the Mines would be appreciated....the Balrog is a mighty foe....

Capedocs Party:

Meet at the end of Boyes Drive

1:45

Bring a magic staff to illuminate your way....

....causing the fellowship to break apart.

At the crossroads I stood this morning, not knowing which way to go.

Into Mordor or into the Mines of Moira.

Tough choice as both this paths will have to be walked at some stage.

Whenever I do not know which way to go I put my trust into my Magic Coin.

I watched on as it whirled high up in the air, and crashed down onto the ground.

Mines of Moira it seems to be.

I remember the words of Galadriel: I give you the light of Eärendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

At the crossroads I stood this morning, not knowing which way to go.

Along with others in the fellowship, I too turned to divination. Signs and portents. Street signs. As I was lost in space and lost in thought, musing "'It'll be slippery up there today', she said... how would she know? Should I go down into the mines instead?", I looked up and saw the street name "Elfin" and then a turn or two later "Sunnybrook".

So not for me today the dark dwarfish depths. Today, FollowThatRainbow of the Shire gives his heart to the light-filled streams, and his allegiance to the ring-bearer Frodo.

But even as the fellowship breaks apart, we fight together the common foe and stand united for the life of Middle Earth.

ooh, good luck to both groups of brave adventurers, how daunting to have to split up the group in order to tackle the growing evil in separate locations. Curse that monstrous balrog!!

May the forces of good protect you on your perilous quests to crush the fiend Sauron and halt his evil plans.

I look forward to hearing of many successes from brave hobbits, elves, dwarves and humans alike!

How I envy this merry band of adventurers going out there to seek their destiny while I sit stoking the home fires. Alas I wish you all well. Slay those evil beasts and come back triumphant so that I too can take inspiration from your tales of dark adventure so that when my time comes to assemble my own fellowship I shall carry the wisdom of my forbears. Good luck

A few of us have arranged a trip to the area Grabouw and Villiersdorp - not too far away which offer quite a number of caches some of which one can get to with 4x4 and some also need a bit of a hike as well. So far myself, Andyt1, Ralph1dc, MnCo, Eagleise, Sawasawa, Paddawan, Adilawson and a few gals are planning to go. We shall meet at the viewpoint at the top of Sir Lowrys pass (N2) at 8am and head off from there. There are 3 caches right at that viewpoint which some may need to do as well.

These are caches in mind for the trip:

Ou Spore WC

Always windy valley

TF31 USA and SA Swap Series - Idaho cache

SOE many daisies at this view

Pine Tree Forest (I have done this)

Bachelors end of the road

Hottentots Boulders

Orchards cache - 700m hike one way.

Bundubashers revenge (I have done this)

Take a view

That dadgum wall again

Fun in the sun on a weekend away

Kelkie Wyn WC

S2 Elandskloof

If you return via Franschoek there are about another 8 caches - (all I have done) obviously time will be a factor.

If you need a lift in a 4x4 that may be possible. Our last trip was to Matroosberg and was great fun.

Cheers

Phil

We shall meet at the viewpoint at the top of Sir Lowrys pass (N2) at 8am and head off from there. There are 3 caches right at that viewpoint which some may need to do as well.

Sounds like fun. What date and will softroaders like my CR-V (4x4 but no low range) be able to cope with this one?

Sounds like fun. What date and will softroaders like my CR-V (4x4 but no low range) be able to cope with this one?

I did not find it too challenging. Most of the roads are logging tracks. Certainly nothing like Matroosberg. Do not know the CR-V, but definitely a Freelander would cope.

Here are links to the caches:

Ou Spore WC My link

Always windy valley My link

TF31 USA and SA Swap Series - Idaho cache My link

SOE many daisies at this view My link

Pine Tree Forest (I have done this) My link

Bachelors end of the road My link

Hottentots Boulders My link

Orchards cache - 700m hike one way. My link

Bundubashers revenge (I have done this) My link

Take a view My link

That dadgum wall again My link

Fun in the sun on a weekend away My link

Kelkie Wyn WC My link

S2 Elandskloof My link

What happened? Did you park in a ditch again? ;)

No, that was a once off event (or so Sue tells me) :mad: . But looking at the photos and reading the account of the two-wheeled decent by a "proper" 4x4, it was maybe just as well we couldn't make it or we could have seen a repeat performance!

once off event (or so Sue tells me) :mad: . But looking at the photos and reading the account of the two-wheeled decent by a "proper" 4x4, it was maybe just as well we couldn't make it or we could have seen a repeat performance!

I must admit, the road was a bit worse than I remembered and although one may have been able to bypass a couple of the nasty stages it was definitely high-clearance 4x4 country. I am still limping around after the two-wheeler incident, but great fun was had by all.

Looks like it was a great trip, sorry I missed it.

Going for those cache was the 1st time we took our 4x4 off-road :)

I will try and keep my eyes open for the next one.

BTW:

For those with 4x4's this might be of interest to you, I am on the organising body and have done 4 of the trips, truly a super thing to be involved in: Be a Blessing 4x4, where we arrange around 15 drivers with 4x4's and take a group of under privlaged kids out on a local day trail. read more:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/159901184022187/?view=permalink&id=258829287462709#!/groups/159901184022187/

Contact me if you are keen,

I'm in.Andy are we going to do the route we discussed,with two cars,one at the Constantia Nek circle, and one in Houtbay.If we going for Houtbay corner,Judas Cave,Judas Peak,Defending the caveman and Prestine,I think we will need a Guide,any volunteers.

That sounds like a plan...

GC22VWQ Pristine

GC21WDA Defending the Caveman

GC503E Tranquillity Cracks, Twelve Apostles, Camps Bay

GC1YXJC Big Head

GC124N6 Myburgh's Waterfall Ravine

GCWHZR Judas Peak

GC111BD Judas Cave

GC112PH Hout Bay Corner

done those three,but i'll do spilhaus and moss and tears on the way down.

Thought the plan was up Constantia Nek side and down Hout Bay corner? Could do those two on the way up and all meet at the Overseers Cottage.

I believe it gets a bit edgy above spilhaus so I'll probably do it another time as a there and back, so will take the jeep track up.

Edited by MnCo

Reading this forum, I really wish I lived in Cape Town. Some of the best caches I've ever done were in Cape Town (Cism's caches come to mind immediately), and I feel pangs of jealousy every time a trip like the above is planned. Hmmm, maybe time to start applying for jobs in Cape Town...

I believe Going UP Hout bay corner is MUCH easier than down. Hoping for some advice from someone who has done the route. I will try and contact The Pooks. Sawasawa suggests we go up Houtbay and down corridor ravine to Theresa Ave - that may be a good plan. The caches on back table and below were not on the agenda as I think the original plan would be most of the day if one is to enjoy the hike.

GC503E Tranquillity Cracks, Twelve Apostles, Camps Bay

GC1YXJC Big Head

GCWHZR Judas Peak

GC111BD Judas Cave

GC112PH Hout Bay Corner.

This list starts from the last cache before going down - ie in reverse order.

Mybergs - I think is a separate route this time of year because of rain/slippery rocks? That may be a one-off cache - up and down although there are several on and near the contour trail below.