The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

Mybergs - I think is a separate route this time of year because of rain/slippery rocks? That may be a one-off cache - up and down although there are several on and near the contour trail below.

There seems to be a well defined path to Mybergs. Perhaps someone who has done it can offer some insight as to how tricky it might be this time of year.

If I may add my comments : I would not be choosing to tackle Mybergs Waterfall at this time of year. Its a great path to the bottom of the ravine, but if I recall (its been a while) most of the bottom part of the ravine route is in the river bed, and there is a section higher up where you climb out to the right of the river which is mostly over slippery vegetation, and fairly steep. Its better to do this route in late summer, and its best during Disa season.

Corridor on the other hand is fine for down as long as you are sure-footed as the upper section of the ravine is full of loose rounded rocks. Not sure what the path looks these days as it also been a while since I have done it.

My suggestion is to leave one car at Suikerbossie, go UP Hout bay corner (rather than down - rather more tricky according to some accounts?) then across the top and down Corridor Ravine to a 2nd car parked in Theresa Avenue below the Pipe Track. That would be a bit easier with the car arrangements too. Of course, it depends on how many there will be to be transported between cars . . .

OK,so my suggestion is as Mark suggested,just drop myburgs waterfall,and I'll start the day with moss and tears and spilhaus and meet you guys at the water fountain,by the overseers hut.

By all accounts, it looks like the caves are for another day, as they will most likely be full of water/mud. Mybergs is also a miss, so it seems we're back to the origional plan of up Hout Bay corner and down Corridor.

I have wanted to rectify my DNF on Grootkop for quite some time, I hope I will be up for joining you.

Good idea not to do Myburg's (very slippery steep bits, especially after today's rain) or Pristine (big pools of mud to crawl through) at this time of year.

Spilhaus is an up only route.

Going down Hout Bay corner is no problem at all if you want to reverse the walk. There is one minor scramble and it has staples.

Ok,so I've come to my scenes,and will leave pristine for better weather,and I will go along with Phil and chris,up Hout bay corner and down tranquility cracks,picking up all the caches along the way.I suggest we leave my Bakkie at the end,so we can all pile in and get back to the cars at the start,I can fit about 10 people in canopy and all.So we need starting time and someone to pick me up in campsbay.

OK so the final plan....

Meet at Suikerbossie, Victoria Access rd. (just outside)at 07:30 am. Ralph and I will go and leave a car at Theresa Ave Camps bay just beforehand and be back at Suikerbossie by 07:30.

We will go up via Houtbay corner then on to Judas Cave, Judas Peak, Big Head and finally Tranquility cracks before descending down Corridor ravine. Ralph's vehicle will be able to take 10 folk back to Suikerbossie. Take your own food, drink etc etc. Will be great to have CapeDoc along as he has done this route.

Anyone welcome to contact me on the following for any last minute questions.

Zambesiboy@gmail.com

021 786 1039

082 864 5080

Since tomorrow is International Geocaching day and we have no EVENT to mark this by then it is appropriate that we will have an informal gathering at the Dunes restaurant (S 34° 02.749 E 018° 21.512) to enjoy the geocaching that has brought us all together. This will be from about 1pm onwards and the folk that are doing the hike on the mountains above will TRY to get there about the same time. ALL are welcome and this is totally informal. If I have been a little more on the ball I would have made an event - guess I have been too busy caching...... :laughing:

Please pass the word around to those who may not read the forums - would love to see folk there.

Thanks all who attended the informal event. Thanks too for the walk. Sorry to break away so soon, but that wound is nasty. I also didn't want to be on the mountain too long, as some of my family are ill.

To the Big Head finders - I left the cache LESS well hidden than I found it. It had more than a years worth of leaf litter on it. I always try to hide caches as I find them. I did not have fun looking for the cache either, taking about 40min to find it. I finally worked out the spoilers, read a bit about leaf litter and started digging.

Hope you all enjoyed the walk, sad to walk away from you guys, would have loved to chew the fat a bit.

:)

Thanks to all for an awesome walk up to and along several of the 12 Apostles yesterday done in perfect conditions and with a great crew! Sorry to have missed the informal event at the Dunes - we did get there in the end but only about 6pm - slightly later than planned!! So we had our own mini-celebration of International Geocaching Day - and finding the Big Head cache after about 14 hours combined search time!! Thanks for the help with that too - otherwise we might still be up there!?? Sorry that Cape Doc picked up a few wounds along the route - hope they heal up nice and quick.

b7c16ec7-2beb-4b15-9c88-8f1c1932b851.jpg

Western Cape (foot) Power Trail?

Pristine may be a bit wet now, but I am interested.

How about Swartkop Ridge before it gets too hot and the darn snakes come out to play?

I would be very interested in that as well! The weather forecast I'm looking at shows nice and sunny both saturday and sunday. http://weather.news24.com/Forecasts.aspx?loc=SA&cityId=77107

I was thinking of a bring and braai event at Ms Panda's cottage nearby, tied together with that hike, but I likely wouldn't be able to do it till November, and a winter hike would be better.

And the server is still fallen over!

If not pristine, nor swartkop, maybe up and around Muizenberg peak? I've not done any of those, and there are loads.

I'll chat with MS Panda this evening and try to get a date set, and the event listed. I'd be my first, so advice comments welcome.

Yeah also struggling with to get onto the server. Feels like forever now! And all I want to do is get a My Find PQ and update my stats :(.

Am very keen on Muizenberg - more so that the other options although I would be happy to do them too. Particularly keen on the Muizenberg caves... Pristine can wait until it's a little drier. Paths of the Dead, Chilean Mine Rescue and Mines of Moria would be awesome! Either way, I'll join in on any mission that may be happening but am away 3rd/4th September so preferrably not that weekend.

Cheers,

B

I'd love to join in on one of these hikes... and I'll be in Cape Town on Sunday 18 September! I'm also quite keen on the caves (Mines of Moria in particular), so... is anyone up for a group effort on 18 September?

Alternatively, CapeDoc, you mentioned that dungeon tour at some point...?

Muizenberg Cave, Tatarus, Chilean Mine Rescue, Paths of the Dead and Mines of Moira in one day?

There's a power series for you.

I have done most but am keen for a repeat.

I still want to do Muizenberg Cave and Tataurus, can wait untill Sept no problem.

Muizenberg Cave, Tatarus, Chilean Mine Rescue, Paths of the Dead and Mines of Moira in one day?

Would be awesome if we could do it! All of them are right up at the top of my to-do list before I leave at the end of the year. Anyone with any experience want to comment on the feasbility of something like that?

Am away 17th/18th September as well as 3rd/4th [:|].

Dungeon tour?

Would be awesome if we could do it! All of them are right up at the top of my to-do list before I leave at the end of the year. Anyone with any experience want to comment on the feasbility of something like that?

Am away 17th/18th September as well as 3rd/4th [:|].

Dungeon tour?

Certainly doable, but will be a killer on the knees - padding required. I do not think you would want to do it if it is too wet. If it is wet it would also make CMR a bit more interesting.

Not many Western Cape geocachers are aware that there is a Facebook group specifically for them.

Those of you on Facebook, please go to 'Western Cape, SA Geocachers' and join this group.

If for instance we have an impromptu get together as we had last Saturday for International Geocaching Day it would be easier to spread the word through Facebook.

Great stuff !!!! Will make communication soooo much easier.

Wonder how we can reach all of the "unseen" cachers out there in the WC so that they can be included / invited to events, hikes etc?

I'm sure most don't even know about the Groundspeak Forums.

One idea is perhaps that we should between us compose a welcoming letter to be sent to all new cachers. We can suggest the Fynbos Finders and the Western Cape,SA Geocachers to them, besides offering help with finding or placing caches or any other problems they may incur.

Any cacher who notices a new name, or someone that none of us has ever met on one of their owned caches, they could zap off the letter to them.

Or otherwise if the cache owners sent the newbies names to me I could zap off such a letter.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by cownchicken

Those of you on Facebook, please go to 'Western Cape, SA Geocachers' and join this group.

Not a big Facebooker myself, but it seems like a good idea to me... request sent :)

I had joined the FB group but left as it was 1) all GP all the time, and 2)endless venom about the PT, both hating it, and co's claiming people lied .. blah blah blah [edit: i read this a few times before I understood it was a WC group..

doh! - request sent]

If that has calmed down, maybe I ask to join again! Although this works too. I've got sept 18-19 on my calendar. I'd very much enjoy that (ad)venture!

And I agree with Paddy, old tin mine. these are right outside of one of the greatest caches in the WC!

Edited by mr panda

Oh and for those who might be interested in a Swartkop hike and a bring and braai at castle rock, when in November might be good? I'm out of town for october, and we are thinking later November as Ms panda will be taking, and I'll be marking exams in early Nov.

Any thoughts, requests? Roughly how many folks might be interested? I'm thinking a casual get together at the cottage, some of us go hike, the others can hang out, do near by caches, enjoy the water, dive, explore the rocks, play board games, whatever, and then a braai when hikers get back (or start the fire just before ;). There would be limited beds for a few who would want to spend the night.

Lovely to have an event I could walk to!!!! If I am not working then I definitely will be there - any date is good for me but evening seems better especially if folk want to hike. That way less chance of underestimating the time needed for the hike - wink, wink!

Oh and remember - my puzzle cache will be on the doorstep so now is the time to start solving it........

Oh and for those who might be interested in a Swartkop hike and a bring and braai at castle rock, when in November might be good? I'm out of town for october, and we are thinking later November as Ms panda will be taking, and I'll be marking exams in early Nov.

Any thoughts, requests? Roughly how many folks might be interested? I'm thinking a casual get together at the cottage, some of us go hike, the others can hang out, do near by caches, enjoy the water, dive, explore the rocks, play board games, whatever, and then a braai when hikers get back (or start the fire just before ;). There would be limited beds for a few who would want to spend the night.

I'm keen. Late Nov would also work better for me as jojjak will also be writing exams. Bed/couch/floor space would be much appreciated as it would save a drive back to town if the event is an evening one.

Not a big Facebooker myself, but it seems like a good idea to me... request sent :)

I'm probably even less of a Facebooker. I had to create an account. Wanted my name to be "Follow That Rainbow", but their automated system rejected that. So now I'm "Follow de Reenboog". Hope it's okay with "Western Cape, SA Geocachers" to join under my caching name. Previously I'd no desire to be on Facebook, but if it'll keep me in the loop on geocaching events, then I'll join in this pseudonymous way.