The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

Thanks Andy for organising! We really enjoyed the outing.

Great to meet besem and The Eaves.

So sorry about your car besem.

Likewise it was most awesome to meet such esteemed geocachers as Cow and Chicken! :) Thanks so much for looking after Natalie while we were underground... :)

The crew that went through The Narrows also did a Sterling job! Brianhfox fought with the stones a little at the first squeeze but then slid through all the remaining cracks with serpentine grace. Besem, within meters of the end got lodged (When you fly the word "bomb" is banned! As is the word "stuck" when caving!) for a good 20min and Capeccr (rear guard) appeared to have no problems in the tight spaces at all!

Hahahaha... Quite envious of everyone who got to drive home! Nat and I got drenched drenched drenched! I wet to the jocks and suffering from whole body violent shivers by the time I got to Wynberg! Natalie in perfect health though!??? (Amazingly)

Meeting you all was an absolute pleasure!

Thanks to AndyT1 for organising the caving expedition - a great day out despite the heavy downpour! Congratulations on reaching your 800! - from reading the logs it sounds like you didn't get to go through "the corkscrew" - definitely worth going back for sometime.

Thanks to The-Eaves for leading us through the infamous "narrows" between Ronin's Well and Robin Hood's Caves, it is always great to visit places that I would otherwise never get to see. After being introduced to the cave by "The Chillean MIne Rescue", I was very keen to explore further. Going through the narrows was quite an experience - I had think it was an advantage knowing Big Brian had got through, even though I had watched Besem battle for a good 20 mins to get through one squeeze.

A big thank you also to everyone that looked after Ben (& Thunder) while I was underground.

A great day out indeed - thanks to all those that made it.

Seems that most if not all got something out of it - whether it was doing some extended cave exploration, conquering their claustrophobia or doing caches they may not have otherwise attempted.

For me it was great to hike with like minded folk and to put some faces to names that I have only seen in the logs or on the forums.

Thanks capeccr for being out fearless leader on the day and the Eaves for adding a whole new dimension to the day for those brave enough.

Ah yes, THIS is what caching is all about... it was great meeting some more CT cachers (Goofster, WHY do you look SO familiar?) in their natural habitat. Many thanks to The Eaves & Capeccr for leading me to places sane men avoid - a year's worth of excitement squeezed into a day I will surely not forget. The spelunking was epic, even if it's not something I'll sommer get stuck into (pun intended).

I did get down to find that my luggage has been looted from my car's boot (I guess rentals attract attention), but the loss was minor enough not to be a worry. The car's a rental, so that's off my plate once the police paperwork was done, and for some reason the thieves only took my suitcase full of dirty clothes, but passed up on my smartphone, which I decided to leave in the boot (right next to my suitcase). Go figure...

Sien julle almal weer voor die einde van die jaar! And Andy, I'm watching your progress - I might be persuaded to tackle Frodo's Journey sooner... ;)

The Great Front-face Traverse Extravaganza 2

Howdy folks... I'm looking to put together a team willing and keen to tackle the ultimate front face route again... I.e. Traverse Reverse, Kloof Corner (Medium & Difficult) and Frodo's Journey. Anybody keen? Am also hoping that somebody that has done these before will step up and offer their servies as a guide... Any takers? Lastly, as far as dates go - I'll throw out an intial suggestion of the first weekend of November (i.e. either the 5th or 6th). Other suggestions are welcome although the sooner the better really so we can hopefully avoid suffering in the heat as much as the previous folks (fools?) who did the route last.

Howdy folks... I'm looking to put together a team willing and keen to tackle the ultimate front face route again... I.e. Traverse Reverse, Kloof Corner (Medium & Difficult) and Frodo's Journey. Anybody keen? Am also hoping that somebody that has done these before will step up and offer their servies as a guide... Any takers? Lastly, as far as dates go - I'll throw out an intial suggestion of the first weekend of November (i.e. either the 5th or 6th). Other suggestions are welcome although the sooner the better really so we can hopefully avoid suffering in the heat as much as the previous folks (fools?) who did the route last.

I would love to join in for the sequel. Nov 5/6 is good for me.

I'd be quite happy to do this one again. It will be good to do it in cooler weather than the last time. Third visit to Traverse Reverse and 4th to Frodo's.

The dates you have will be fine.

Looking forward to it - Andre.

Yeah - I would like to "push out the envelope" some more so would be keen to join this. That weekend seems open at the moment. Lets hope the weather plays along......

Great stuff!!! Glad to see there a few brave souls out there. And a big thank you to Andre for agreeing to do it all again. It will be great to have your wealth of experience around as we negotiate the trials of the route.

Since everyone that has responded so far seems to be available both days let's fix the date as Sat 5th - gives us the option of postponing to the Sunday if the weather isn't playing the game. Details on times/parking/etc to come a little closer to the time.

Looking forward to it :)

I'd be quite happy to do this one again. It will be good to do it in cooler weather than the last time. Third visit to Traverse Reverse and 4th to Frodo's.

The dates you have will be fine.

Looking forward to it - Andre.

Wow 3 trips to trav Rav!!

That sure beats the only time I have been there when I hid the cache before leaving CT :lol:

Enjoy your expedition folks!

Since everyone that has responded so far seems to be available both days let's fix the date as Sat 5th - gives us the option of postponing to the Sunday if the weather isn't playing the game. Details on times/parking/etc to come a little closer to the time.

Looking forward to it :)

Watching the weather forecasts and unfortunately it's not looking great at the moment - rain on Saturday but expected to clear on Sunday. Still some time to go and we all know how things can change so hold thumbs. Not sure how everyone would feel about going Sunday if it has rained on Saturday and there's water on the mountain?

If it's raining or very cloudy on the day I think it would be well advised to postpone.

However, if there was a bit of rain on the day before and it has cleared, it should be OK.

Any problems encountered would be at a point where we would at least have ticked off "Traverse Reverse" and

we could just return along the same route.

Well folks, I've been holding my thumbs all week but sadly it seems like the weatherman got it right this time round and the weather gods are not playing the game at the moment. The mountain is currently under a blanket of cloud and the forecast for the weekend is not looking great. Tomorrow is forecast to be much the same with light rain and a fairly stiff westerly wind. Sunday definitely looks like the better day starting off overcast with virtually no wind and then clearing over the course of the day. So, in chatting to Andre and based on the forecast we've decided to postpone until Sunday. The plan is to meet at the parking area next to the circle at the top of the nek at 7am on Sunday morning - we'll head off down the pipe track from there. Hopefully everyone can still make it. My apologies to those who may not be able to make Sunday - sadly there's not much we can do about the weather unfortunately. :sad:

Sorry that you joined the list of those of us that could not make it, Phil.

I would have been there for sure as it’s a route that I have not done, but I am still getting over an episode of flu and it would have been crazy to have walked...

Perhaps some brave soul that’s just done the walk would volunteer to lead us some time in the not too distant future ...

Perhaps some brave soul that’s just done the walk would volunteer to lead us some time in the not too distant future ...

Yes please, postulated brave soul that's just done the walk, I'd like that too... so that makes three of us!

I'd been watching from the wings, wanting to join the group, but couldn't be there today, more's the pity. But at times through the day, I'd look up at the mountain in this gorgeous sunshine, and wonder how the Extravanatics were doing, imagining the awesomeness. Hope it all went well!

Yes please, postulated brave soul that's just done the walk, I'd like that too... so that makes three of us!

I'd been watching from the wings, wanting to join the group, but couldn't be there today, more's the pity. But at times through the day, I'd look up at the mountain in this gorgeous sunshine, and wonder how the Extravanatics were doing, imagining the awesomeness. Hope it all went well!

Ah... FTR... Your name popped up a couple times today. Wondered where you might be as this really was right up your alley. Sorry you couldn't join us. Same goes for you speedstripe and of course, Zambesiboy. If I were hanging around long enough I would most certainly offer my services as a guide however a little birdie told me that Ralph1dc might just be taking Zambesiboy up in the not too distant future...

As for today... All I can say is what a hike!!! Certainly not a route for your novice hiker but without a doubt the best hike I've ever done on Table Mountain [:D]. The weather played along beautifully - cool on the way up, somewhat cloudy for the first section of the traverse (but perhaps that can be seen as a poositive thing as it masks the precipitous drop right next to you) turning into a beautiful warm spring day. Oh yes and we all made it down alive and without any injuries thankfully. Many thanks to all who made it today and a very special thanks to chicken for offering up his expertise and showing us that one can actually continue along the infamous Traverse despite it looking very much otherwise. Wow, wow, wow!!! I'm sure some photos will surface soon enough. Oh and thanks D'bob for making this happen - definitely a few favourite points headed your way after today. [:)]

Well spotted Paddawan !!

But following one of the links it now appears that there are separate activity permits required as well ..... http://www.climb.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40558&t=7729

This is from the TMNP website. some of the permits required I was already aware of and have been around for a while.

"The TMNP Activity Permit is required by individuals who regularly make use of the Park to undertake a specific/variety of activities. Activities requiring a permit are as follows:

Valid line fish and MCM permits are required when purchasing Level 3 line fishing and level 4 activity permits respectively (for use in Cape of Good Hope).

•Level 1 – Dog-walking (R55)

•Level 2 – Hand-gliding and paragliding, sport/rock climbing (R130)

•Level 3 – Horse-riding, mountain biking, line fishing and transport (R200)

•Level 4 – Consumptive use and transport (R400) "

So now to do "The Hardest Cache on Table Mountain" we need a permit?

Hello everybody! I'm back from the bush (if you are curious, this is what I was up to: http://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/dig-it-cederberg-s-stones-will-rock-you-1.1174618 )

As I've mentioned before, I am looking to plan a get together for a joint expedition along the swartberg ridge, along with a bring and Braii at ms panda's cottage for the non-hikers and post hike relax (near castle rock cache). I was thinking end of Nov, but time got away from me. So given the 2 week requirement, I'm thinking Saturday Dec 3. How does that look for everyone? We are pretty flexible. This is also my first event cache, so any advice would be welcome!

<snip>I am looking to plan a get together for a joint expedition along the swartberg ridge </snip>

What fond memories this brings back.....

Jan 2011, four old fuddy-duddies, and a wonderful "POWER-TRAIL" of caches across Simonsberg and Swartkop Ridge.

This outing with great friends is one of the special memories I'll nurture for ever - thanks mates!!

If you're going to do both Simonsberg and Swartkop Ridge, then make sure that you allow enough time to be able take it easy and enjoy the outing, and take lots of water with. I envy you guys. I'd do that hike again anyday if I could - ENJOY!! :D

Here's our hike profile:

625ecce0-c9a7-4707-a5c9-97eb9b958879.jpg

Poop, this is what I get for being out of the loop. I had no idea.

I'd be happy to put it off another week for Dec 10, but I wouldn't mind going to two events in a weekend either. What does the community think?

What sort of time do you think the hike will finish/braai will start?

Two events back to back does sound like an interesting idea, but eagleise and I already have plans and could only make it later in the day.

TL/DR:You will be welcome to pitch up whenever!

The event and venue really will be the cottage (as events can't just be for hunting caches). Those not hiking, or just coming for the after party, can pitch up at the cottage any time all day as Ms Panda will be hanging out there. It is a lovely spot to relax, read a book, explore, hunt nearby caches, etc...

As to when exactly the hike ends ... well that somewhat depends on the speed we go!

I spoke to C&C and they are happy with another event on the same weekend, so I'm writing up the listing for the 3rd. I'm open to any comments/concerns regarding this!

As to the artefacts, they will eventually be housed at the SA Museum, but are currently being analyzed. I doubt that they will be displayed anytime soon.

Sorry for hijacking the forum - feel free to discus other things again :D

A better answer to MnCo - I've worked some numbers and talked to previous hikers of the trail. I'm told to expect a brisk walk being about 8 hours, I wrote the listing to depart around 0700, so we should be back by 1500, but could be as late as 1700. It all really depends of the abilities of our group.