The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

The walk is done and dusted. I can confirm you have some very nice trails around here, way to much to do in one day. I had a good scout around and now have at lot more knowledgeable on the trails leading up the mountain. Any way, we choose to ascend through platteklip gouge. As I seemed to be the most obvious route up being able to see the path from the N1. At least we could not get lost. We then proceeded on to Maclears beacon, then back along the north face to the cable cars. At this point the misses decides she have enough of walking and was going down with the cable car. This then afforded my the opportunity to take a more adventures route down along the India Venster route, with a quick deviation down to Kloof Corner Difficult & kloof corner medium. For more info, you have to what for the logs. All in all a most enjoyable day.

Edited by iNokia

The walk is done and dusted. I can confirm you have some very nice trails around here, way to much to do in one day. I had a good scout around and know have at lot more knowledgeable on the trails leading up the mountain. Any way, we choose to ascend through platteklip gouge. As I seemed to be the most obvious route up being able to see the path from the N1. At least we could not get lost. We then proceeded on to Maclears beacon, then back along the north face to the cable cars. At this point the misses decides she have enough of walking and was going down with the cable car. This then afforded my the opportunity to take a more adventures route down along the India Venster route, with a quick deviation down to Kloof Corner Difficult & kloof corner medium. For more info, you have to what for the logs. All in all a most enjoyable day.

Glad you had fun. Sorry to have been unable to join you. The "stairs to heaven" as I call Platteklip are my general route down - not up. But then again, I would say go up India Venster not down... For someone who wasn't looking for much adventure you sure picked a hard route down!!! Most folks I know would hesitate to recommend that as an uphill route and certainly not recommend going down it! Nice one. Put a few locals to shame there. Can't wait to read the logs (when the GS server decides to let me read them).

I'd love to join in on one of these hikes... and I'll be in Cape Town on Sunday 18 September! I'm also quite keen on the caves (Mines of Moria in particular), so... is anyone up for a group effort on 18 September?

Any news on this?

I'm keen on doing a few of the cave caches in that area..

Anybody want to lead the expedition?

Hi All

Zambesiboy and I,are going to give Psalm 119,a go tomorrow morning.We will be at the forestry station at 8:30am if anyone would like to join.We were hoping to give Carel's ledge a try and then go down Skeleton gorge.

Brave souls.... Best of luck!

Had a fantastic trip managed Psalm 119, Carrel's ledge, Changing perspective and then finished up with falling skeleton's and Winter wonderland on the way down (and back up in the case of Winter wonderland!)

Was very misty though so views were lacking..... not sure if that was a good thing or not! :laughing:

So here is the proposal - start off with Mines of Moira then on to Paths Of the Dead. Over the top to Chilean Mine Rescue, through the Amphitheatre then on to Tataurus.

Starting time 7:30 to try to be off the mountain at 15h00 - besem has a flight to catch.

Any other thoughts / suggestions welcome.

Edited by AndyT1

So here is the proposal - start off with Mines of Moira then on to Paths Of the Dead. Over the top to Chilean Mine Rescue, through the Amphitheatre then on to Tataurus.

Starting time 7:30 to try to be off the mountain at 15h00 - besem has a flight to catch.

Suppose, given the forum, it is likely that caching takes precedent over spelunking. I do, however, offer my services as a guide to any who wishes to pass through The Narrows from Ronan's well (Chilean Miner Rescue) into Robin Hood Cavern (near Amphitheatre)...

I will be more than happy to lead the expedition (from the back, giving directions when requested :lol: - I like to leave a bit of a challenge :D ).

As for the narrows - I would love to do them, but have it on good authority, that it is a route you will do only once....hopefully emerging on the far side :o

I have no objection to doing a bit of spelunking - what sort of timeframe do we need to get from Ronan's Well to Robin Hood. Can we exit into the Amphitheatre?

As Doc says, can everyone make it? It could add another dimension to the hike, perhaps not for everyone though.

Personally I will probably carry on to Tataurus as it is the only one I have not visited.

As for the first three I enjoyed them so much that they are well worth a re-visit.

The-Eaves thanks for the offer, perhaps there are those who have done Tataurus that would like to take it up?

Hmmmmm ... I will discuss this with capeccr over a few beers tomorrow evening - thanks for offering to lead the expedition and direct proceedings in your usual style :-)

For any that do not follow the WC group on facebook, there will be another visit (or probably more than one) visit to the "hardest cache on TM" in the coming weeks. There is already a lot of interest. As before a pre-requisite - even if you have abseiled before - will practice to beforehand at Silvermine (40m+ above the ground is not a good place to discover that you can't quite remember how to do it!!! :o ).

Practices, and the final assault will be weather dependent, and may be at short notice. If you would like to be added to the list, contact me directly - 083 651 268, or herbalife.sport@iafrica.com.

Phil

PS does anyone have a helmet cam?

Suppose, given the forum, it is likely that caching takes precedent over spelunking. I do, however, offer my services as a guide to any who wishes to pass through The Narrows from Ronan's well (Chilean Miner Rescue) into Robin Hood Cavern (near Amphitheatre)...

I'm keen to do this route sometime (and explore other caves in the area) - how long do the narrows take (assuming nobody gets stuck? :o )

I'm keen to do this route sometime (and explore other caves in the area) - how long do the narrows take (assuming nobody gets stuck? :o )

Oh boy... Would I love to do (attempt) that!!! Trying to make a plan to be there (will mean driving back from Matroosberg on Sunday am).

On Saturday we will be walking together with The Huskies up from East Fort to Craggy and Picnic Rock. There are several other caches along the route. This will be part of our 'Otter Trail get fit' walks. Anybody is welcome to join us, this is not only for the Otter trail people.

What time will you start from East Fort in case one wants to join in the fun?

Lunacy, Lycanthropy and Licentiousness

UPDATE!!!

The weather is looking rather foul for Monday Night - I will make a call before noon on Monday 12 September as to whether this event will happen in its original format - the event will happen just - just maybe indoors where will eat pizza rather than sing about it

Watch this space.

I have sent an announcement but I think maybe only those logging a Will Attend will get it- a few people logged a Note. I have put it on the Western Cape FB page and updated the listing too.

But please call your friends to disucss! The event will go on it miightjust not be on Lions Head but indoors where its warm and joyous!

Weill update tomorrow before Noon'

Trev

I am planning to go abseiling on Sunday afternoon in Silvermine - as long as it is dry. Meet at the mountain bike parking at 2pm, or join us later at Lower Silvermine Crag (straight up the hill to puzzle ridge).

Thank you very much to Phil at the top and Phil at the bottom for their time, gear, skill, and awareness this afternoon. I had a great time - an invigorating step out and backward and down from my comfort zone, and when I wasn't scared or in pain :unsure: I felt safe and in good hands.

Lessons learnt: lean back, tensioning the rope, before you go over the edge; and choose the black harness :)

Also I had fun among all the other aspiring Hardest Cache finders.

-Karl.

Thank you very much to Phil at the top and Phil at the bottom....

-Karl.

Yes, a huge thanks to you guys for the fun we had! I hope to be able to join an expedition some day. Thanks too for the help with the kids. Amelie had a blast and just wants to do it again!!

Thanks too to Karl for the superb babysitting while Amelie and I were dangling.

So good to see you all again too. Wanted to chat more...

maybe tonight?

Latest Breaking News Monday 12 September 13h23

The weather is looking rather foul for Monday Night - I have had to make a call to call off the walk up Lions Head - Lions Head is covered in cloud now and I have to think of safety and comfort first. Its going to be miserable up top there tonight.

So I have booked a table at Diva's in 81 Buitenkant Street - next door the The Perseverance Tavern at 6:30 pm. I have booked for 14 - 20 so please can you reaffirm you attendance - you can message me or SMS 072 438 6800 so I can update numbers with the restaurant.

So SEE YOU AT DIVA'S at 6:30pm

Please spread the word - I will try and message people who have not logged and attendance log.

Anyone know which are the twelve Apostles? More likely it was just an impression, and not meant to be taken literally as twelve. I can't find anything on the net. I'm guessing Blinkwater,Porcupine, Jubilee, Barrier, Valken, Kasteels, Postern, Wood, Spring, Slangolie, Corridoe, Grootkop, Judas peak. Don't know if Cairn, Fountain and Grotto that is before Porcupine also count as apostles

1a144f32-f833-4725-beb3-1099af30c742.jpg

I still prefer the original Dutch name (strange that!) de Gewelbergen! It was those pesky British when they took over after 1795 that renamed them the Twelve Apostles and you are correct - they could not count. The only Apostle name is Judas, but then saying that I seem to remember seeing St John on one of the other peaks.

Anyone know which are the twelve Apostles? More likely it was just an impression, and not meant to be taken literally as twelve. I can't find anything on the net. I'm guessing Blinkwater,Porcupine, Jubilee, Barrier, Valken, Kasteels, Postern, Wood, Spring, Slangolie, Corridoe, Grootkop, Judas peak. Don't know if Cairn, Fountain and Grotto that is before Porcupine also count as apostles

Corridor is shown as St Paul on the Slingsby Table Mountain map

Now why do I think that there was an article in one of the ancient MCSA journals (1950's ?) about this ??

I remember asking the same question some years ago, but unfortunately don't remember the details of the answer.

I will try see if I can find the article, but it might take a some time.

So the plan for Sundays caving expedition:

Meet at 07h30 on Sunday 18th September at the parking for the start of the Echo Valley Trail - S34 07.501 E18 26.866

First on the agenda is Mines of Moira, followed by Paths of the Dead.

Then over the top to Chilean Mine Rescue.

If the Eaves want to take some cachers through to Robin Hood Cave in the Amphitheatre then whoever wants to do so can join them.

Next stop a brunch / lunch break in the amphitheatre, those who have tackled the narrows can re-join us there if there are any takers for this expedition.

Head off for Tataurus, the one I am looking forward to.

Back down Spes Bona Forest and re-join the trail down Echo Valley and back to the vehicles.

If we have time off to the pub of your choice for a drink or two?

Edited by AndyT1

Saw the forecast, been watching with keen interest !! - 2mm predicted.

The rainfall down that end of the Peninsula is usually less than around Newlands so at worst it may drizzle a bit.

Well the Otter Trail people can't be fussy! If it rains on the actual Otter Trail you have no option but to walk. So we may as well get used to it!! <_<

So the plan for Sundays caving expedition:

Meet at 07h30 on Sunday 18th September at the parking for the start of the Echo Valley Trail - S34 07.501 E18 26.866

First on the agenda is Mines of Moira, followed by Paths of the Dead.

Then over the top to Chilean Mine Rescue.

If the Eaves want to take some cachers through to Robin Hood Cave in the Amphitheatre then whoever wants to do so can join them.

Next stop a brunch / lunch break in the amphitheatre, those who have tackled the narrows can re-join us there if there are any takers for this expedition.

Head off for Tataurus, the one I am looking forward to.

Back down Spes Bona Forest and re-join the trail down Echo Valley and back to the vehicles.

If we have time off to the pub of your choice for a drink or two?

I will be joining tomorrow morning! Please just confirm for me which parking lot we are meeting in - the one at the end of Boyes Drive?

For those wanting to do The Narrows... it IS POSSIBLE.. :) We will do the other caves first and see who is comfortable and whose anthropometrics are favorable ;) If you are keen: Head lamp with NEW batteries. Preferably not rechargeable (if so then two sets)... Two pairs of longs to protect knees, disposable long sleeve t-shirt...

There is also a team of caving people going tomorrow - I will confirm when and in which direction they plan on negotiating the Narrows (to avoid collision)..

Is anyone going to the Rondebosch area tomorrow afternoon after the caving expedition? I'm staying at the Little Scotia guesthouse and trying to figure out transport logistics for tomorrow. I can get to the starting point in the morning, but I'm still untangling the getting back and to the airport bit.