The Fynbos Finders

CapeDoc

Thanks for organising Henzz!

I'll second that, and also to everyone that turned up and made this a fun (unofficial) event cache :angry:

Let me add my thanks & appreciation for this extraordinary occasion! The water was just fine - not too cold, not too deep, not too fast & the whole experience was not scary after all - just a lot of fun! Thanks to Henzz for arranging & to all who made it such a memorable event! :(

Thanks Henzz! Interesting to see the photos of the day coming in - see your back features strongly...

Different issue: how many Capetonians are planning to participate in the 2011 TB race? Would it be worth organising an event for it or is anyone thinking of organising a near the end of the year event? I think MnCo might have volunteered... :angry:

I just wanted to surround myself with 3 or 4 brave souls...

That way nobody would notice my pants shivering...

I never expected the outcome we had...

And certainly I never expected the fun event that it turned out to be...

It is me that has to thank all of you that joined in the festivities in the "Darkness"...

Thanx for the FUN everyone, and 3 cheers to Capeccr and Thunder...

FINE WINE 3: A Season to Celebrate

4th or 5th December.

Here’s the deal.

We are planning to hold a Christmas Event Cache at Meerendal again this year – there is however a small problem.

The venue we used last year we would have to hire as a function venue this time at around at a cost of +/- R1000.

It would then be a set buffet breakfast for R65 pp.

This would include coffee, tea, yoghurts, cereal, fruit and then of course all the eggs, bacon, sausage etc.

+/- 60 people could be accommodated. And we would need to spread the R1000+ among us.

Plan B: The Manor House (which I have provisionally booked and which is now the main restaurant at Meerendal) can accommodate 66 people – the problem here being is that there would only be place for 40 people in the main room and the remaining cachers would need to be divided into groups of 10 and 16 people respectively for the other two rooms.

The menu would be the same as last year.

I would really like to hear what other cachers think about this.

We have a few things to celebrate this year and we would like to see as many cachers attend as possible.

We will however will have to put a limit of just over 60 on people attending.

FINE WINE 3: A Season to Celebrate

4th or 5th December.

I'd tend towards the Manor House option. I don't see the need to pay Meerendal for the function venue as it's not a spectacular area in any event. Also, having an a la carte breakfast works better for kids. I don't think that the room size restriction will be a problem - you never really get to speak to everyone anyway.

Different issue: how many Capetonians are planning to participate in the 2011 TB race? Would it be worth organising an event for it or is anyone thinking of organising a near the end of the year event? I think MnCo might have volunteered... :yikes:

OKAY!!

The Manor House at Meerendal is officially booked for breakfast at 9am on Sunday 5th December.

Would this Event qualify as a starting point for the 2011 TB Race?

Would be great if it could be.

OKAY!!

The Manor House at Meerendal is officially booked for breakfast at 9am on Sunday 5th December.

Cool, any objection if I turn up in MTB gear? (No laughing at the legs allowed) :yikes:

I'd vote YES for using the event for the 2011 TB Race. Just hope I can get some tags in time.

Edited by Gr8Scot

OKAY!!

Cool, any objection if I turn up in MTB gear? (No laughing at the legs allowed) :yikes:

I'd vote YES for using the event for the 2011 TB Race. Just hope I can get some tags in time.

Yip, lets start the Cape Town racers at this event.

Came across logs from this chancer earlier this afternoon and phoned CapeDoc as he was the Event co-ordinator. We both knew he was never at Drinks with Orange.

Got in touch with FishEagle and he passed on the info to Rotsip.

Then mailed a cacher in the UK who verified that no one by that name had attended his Event either. He was at that stage also very puzzled by the log.

Glad to see that this fools logs have all been deleted.

A very bright guy indeed solving Whispers on the Wind, Green Eggs and Bacon, Dogs Breakfast, Nauti but Nice and then having time to do the ENTIRE Harry Potter, fit enough to be in Silvermine and then on the top of Table Mountain.

And then of course dashing off to Namibia to do a quick two caches.

And also rich enough to travel to so many places as frequently as he did!

I had something similar a few weeks back.

A cacher by the name of 45pknfj logged two of my caches, twice for the same month, on the same day. Backdated by a month. The logs simply read "nice" and "great place" if memory serves. I initially thoght it was a legitimate mistake, but after recieving no responce I looked into it further and discovered that on the same dates he has "Found" my two caches, he also found 2 in the UK. Needless to say, I deleted all the logs.

Hi all

The 10 year caching event is attracting interest from quite far afield. Are any of you able to offer any accommodation for visitors?

To make it fun, I want to have do a non permanent series of 10 caches near the reservoir. 10 years 10 caches. Simple questions or puzzles in each cache. Cachers will hand in answers to questions at the end. Most answers or quickest time to complete wins prizes.

- I need help with the hides

- I need help with prizes

Please let me know if you can help

Hi all

The 10 year caching event is attracting interest from quite far afield. Are any of you able to offer any accommodation for visitors?

To make it fun, I want to have do a non permanent series of 10 caches near the reservoir. 10 years 10 caches. Simple questions or puzzles in each cache. Cachers will hand in answers to questions at the end. Most answers or quickest time to complete wins prizes.

Might be able to help with some hides/hiding.

I assume these caches will not be published officially, so no issues with other published... or unpublished :( .... caches nearby?

Hi all

Might be able to help with some hides/hiding.

I assume these caches will not be published officially, so no issues with other published... or unpublished :( .... caches nearby?

Correct. The 10 caches are only valid for the day, not published, so no clashes to worry about. Maybe a published cache to commemorate the 10 yrs is not a bad idea either.

Thanks cnc and MnCo with offers of help.

Correct. The 10 caches are only valid for the day, not published, so no clashes to worry about. Maybe a published cache to commemorate the 10 yrs is not a bad idea either.

If it not published - what is the point because there will be no benefit as you won't be able to log them? If the caches are of suitable quality, why should they not last longer for other people to enjoy?

If it not published - what is the point because there will be no benefit as you won't be able to log them? If the caches are of suitable quality, why should they not last longer for other people to enjoy?

The area around the reservoir is quite saturated with caches. I personally don't want to over saturate it by placing a further 10 caches there!!! Also you will run into huge problems with proximity issues. I certainly don't have the time, petrol nor inclination to place, publish and maintain so many caches.

Maybe a published cache to commemorate the 10 yrs is not a bad idea either.

THESE CACHERS ARE TRAVELLING FROM AFAR. LETS GIVE THEM SOMETHING WORTHWHILE!!

That's what I think too! I feel sad to scrap the idea of 10 temporary hides to celebrate 10 years and as indicated above I suggested a cache to commemorate the 10 years. I thought that, with a bit of help from other cachers (quite a few have offered help) 10 unpublished caches would be MUCH easier to administer and is asking far less of those involved. Its a pity that I cant do it all alone, would if I could!

THESE CACHERS ARE TRAVELLING FROM AFAR. LETS GIVE THEM SOMETHING WORTHWHILE!!

That's what I think too! I feel sad to scrap the idea of 10 temporary hides to celebrate 10 years and as indicated above I suggested a cache to commemorate the 10 years. I thought that, with a bit of help from other cachers (quite a few have offered help) 10 unpublished caches would be MUCH easier to administer and is asking far less of those involved. Its a pity that I cant do it all alone, would if I could!

If I could just toss a few cents in here. Those that attended the 10 Years event in Villiersdorp will recall that a similar temporary multicache was done to provide a little extra fun to the event, which everyone really enjoyed and as far as I know, no one felt done in because they could not log them.

I think the idea of a ten cache fun event, incorporating 10 unpublished caches around the reservoir is great and in reality it could not support 10 published caches anyway because it's too small.

Just a thought ............. to celebrate 10 years of caching in SA, could we not encourage caching teams to place a cache anywhere in SA to celebrate this occasion? They could all be called Celebrating 10 years of Caching in SA - Cape Town (or Fish Hoek, Pretoria, Nelspruit, Blouberg, Silvermine etc, etc, etc) Surely then everyone could join in celebrating this event.

As we said, just a thought!

Western Cape geocachers: be on the lookout for low-flying FTF'ers as they tackle all of those new Shipwreck Series caches! :(

Wow! Surely that has to be some sort of a record. 33 caches published simultaneously! And a (633/119=) 5.3 finds per caches placed ratio has to be a record as well. Perhaps this question should be on the Statistics thread?

Well done Paddawan !!

Edited by Gr8Scot

Just a thought ............. to celebrate 10 years of caching in SA, could we not encourage caching teams to place a cache anywhere in SA to celebrate this occasion? They could all be called Celebrating 10 years of Caching in SA - Cape Town (or Fish Hoek, Pretoria, Nelspruit, Blouberg, Silvermine etc, etc, etc) Surely then everyone could join in celebrating this event.

As we said, just a thought!

Imagine paddawan prefixing Celebrating 10 years of Caching in SA - to his new SS - series - he would have writer's cramp!

Also I got 58 of the SS series?

Well done Paddawan !!

Thanks, I enjoyed doing them although it turned into a bit of a monster. Now to spend some time finding caches again :(

Stats:

90 live including the puzzle cache, 1 in the review queue and another one scheduled for January - so it will be 92 in total from Lamberts Bay to Arniston.

I have not been keeping my public profile up to date, so I am currently on 633.

Apologies for any encroachment and the long descriptions on mobile devices.

Again, a huge gratitude to ROTSIP for all the hours spent reviewing. I know at one stage his queue was looking quite horrendous. :blink: