Why Bother?

BoggyWoggy

Is there really time for this business? Do you go back and check listings for caches you've found and logged, just to see if someone's up to no-good, trying to "beat" the system?

Just looking for some information. What motivates you?

No criticism, just a few questions...

All in good fun, Holmes. All in good fun...

Is there really time for this business? Do you go back and check listings for caches you've found and logged, just to see if someone's up to no-good, trying to "beat" the system?

I have read and re-read your post for a total of six times, and I have pondered about what you might be asking for about ten minutes, but I must confess that I have no idea what you are asking us, for your language and style are very dense, unclear, ambiguous and equivocal, and it all leaves me lost; in other words, the content of your post was all kinda mushy and boggy woggy... So sorry, I cannot take a stab at answering whatever you were trying to ask!

My theory:

The OP is either involved in a local dispute, or has read of one in a forum somewhere, in which a geocacher has gone back through their prior finds and acted as a "cache cop" in some sort of way. (Ex: "Billy didn't sign the logbook," "Sally stole a geocoin," "There's no way that Johnny could find that many caches in one day.")

We are now asked to opine in a vacuum on the propriety of this practice, the details of which are unknown to us.

I shall keep the popcorn in the microwave, with my finger over the "start" button, in anticipation of stimulating discussion once the details are provided.

Why Bother?

Why bother? I'm enjoying heck out of geocaching ...

Are you one of those folks who analyzes your personal cache logs and t

I don't analyzes my personal logs much, I do sometimes read them..... fer fun

Is there really time for this business?

I seem to be finding it (time)(for caching, logging, maintaining caches, even the forums)

Do you go back and check listings for caches you've found and logged, just to see if someone's up to no-good, trying to "beat" the system?

No. I'm not even checking the caches I own for "someone.....no-good" lately I've been doing a bunch of cache maintenance. I'm checking for the continued existence of the cache in dry condition. I'll flip through the log, in case anybody wrote more than 3 words there. Mostly not; I don't mind that, I personally don't write much in logs in the field, and don't expect it of others.

I'm having fun, and I'm hoping to share that with others :anicute: hiding/seeking

Peek-a-boo, hide'n'seek, slightly grown-up, or at least a tad more technically presented. Playing peek-a-boo with an infant is fine, playing it with another adult seems pretty dorky, BUT when you dress it up "high tech" then it's cool. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

I do it holmes! I constantly surf my finds. What motivates me? Well, I'd say first to make sure everything is OK with the cache, and it doesn't get muggled or anything. Then I like to read other cachers experiences with the same cache, when they are still fresh in my memory. Considering I don't generally find caches that generate 5 word "quick grab" type of logs, people usually have something interesting to say. Seeing if anyone is up to no good never crossed my mind. Not that I understand what you mean by "up to no good". :anicute:

My theory:

The OP is either involved in a local dispute, or has read of one in a forum somewhere, in which a geocacher has gone back through their prior finds and acted as a "cache cop" in some sort of way. (Ex: "Billy didn't sign the logbook," "Sally stole a geocoin," "There's no way that Johnny could find that many caches in one day.")

We are now asked to opine in a vacuum on the propriety of this practice, the details of which are unknown to us.

I shall keep the popcorn in the microwave, with my finger over the "start" button, in anticipation of stimulating discussion once the details are provided.

Thank you for this cogent presentation of your very sensible analysis. Having pondered this matter some more, I tend to agree very much with your hypothesis.

By the way, if you are making popcorn for all of us, would you please use real butter instead of those horrid fake butter toppings made with hydrogenated oils and synthetic flavoring and coloring? Thanks much!

Uhhh, sometimes I go back and read logs on caches that I've found. It's usually on caches I enjoy and I want to see what others say about it.

Other than that, I really don't care what others are doing, or how they're playing the game. That's none of my business, and I have better things to do than play cache police.

Does that answer the question? :anicute:

I think he may be referring to armchair cachers, and catching them in the act...

If one armchair logs one of my caches, Yes, I will remove the log.

If they are doing it to all the caches in the neighborhood while on "vacation", which I have noticed, I don't go and send mass emails to cache owners. I feel if the cache owners care about this, they will check the logs themselves. I have too much to do to sit around and play cache police.

The one thing that does come out of it, is when you find one, and you see their large number of finds, a loss of respect for that number comes about.

Now if referring to going back and checking caches I've found, that are clearly placed where caches are not allowed... If I know some information, I'll let the cache owner know, and refer them to a parks department or something, but I, again, leave it to the cache owner to do what they feel is right. Unless there is clearly a no tresspassing sign, or a nuclear waste dump, I'm not going to report it.

Hope that answers your rather vague question.

I think the relevency of time is up to each and every cacher. As we all know cachers come from every walk of life. Some have plenty of time and others make time depending on their involvement in the sport.

There are a few people I know in our area that place a watch on all caches they have found. Makes for some busy nights sorting through emails....but it also provides quite the insight into caches and experiences people have with them. Every once in a while some logs provide quite the entertainment. Also can be fun to see when a high profile cacher is touring the area. I know that a Moun10bike coin was found that way.

As far as checking on people that are up to no good....I don't know. Unfortunately there are cachers that play by different rules. I thought the whole idea of geocaching was making the find of the cache and the journey that brought you to it. For some people it is about that. For others they don't even have to make the find to log it. For some driving by is sufficient. I don't understand the logic....but then again since we aren't doing this as a profession and it is an individual game...I guess you can make your own rules as you go. Just have to remember the game means many things to many people. I do however believe that a true cacher is a purist in their caching credes. Find cache, sign log, log on website.

Watching cache listings can tell you many things. It can of course be very informational as to caches that you plan on doing. I don't believe that people do it as a big brother thing....we love geocaching and every aspect of it!

BTW - I like ponies....do you like ponies?

You knew I'd throw in didn't you?

Do you go back and check listings for caches you've found and logged, just to see if someone's up to no-good, trying to "beat" the system?

No, once I've found a cache, I rarely go back and look at it again. The exception is if I'm with a group, I'll go back to see what they said or if I know someone is going to look for it, and it's a special cache or one that's really hard, I may check to see what they say or to see if they logged a DNF if they can't find it.

As a cache owner, I don't check the paper logs to see if the signatures match what's been logged online.

Well I'll just go along with the consensus then. There are several caches that I've already found on my watchlist so that new logs are sent to my email. There are some caches that I found particularly enjoyable or funny so I like to read what other people have to say about them. For example, there's one called FTF For Everyone where the person who logs it has to come up with an acronym for their log to make the find unique. Something like FTFWBIBAPT would be FTF While Being Impaled By A Pine Tree. I have that one on my list just so I can read the witty FTF acronyms others come up with.

I also keep event caches on my watchlist for a week or two after the event so I'm alerted when others post to it so I can read their synopsis of the day. But to answer what I think the original question is, no I don't go back to read logs to check up on what other people are doing.

Getting out of line now. Next! :anicute:

Edited by Buggheart

If you are asking if I check the logs on my own cache hides to verify the on line logs with the log in the cache itself, then no. If I had a reason to suspect there was a problem, I might. However, I usually just read and enjoy the logs on line. If I do a maint. run on my cache, I will read the logs written in the log book.

I'm not looking for logs that are bogus, just enjoying the comments of people who have found my cache. (At least I hope they enjoyed it. :) )

If you are talking about reading the new logs that others post on caches I have found, I scan through my found caches almost everyday. Again, to see how others reacted to and enjoyed caches I have found.

I feel as if I'm sharing an experience with others as I read their logs. However, there again, I am not looking for bogus logs, just enjoying a shared moment.

I read my logs. Most are fine. Some are odd. A few are more than "TFTC". If something strange sticks out I may take a closer look. Mostly I email the NM loggers with questions that would help me determine if the cache really does NM. Usually they are clueless and not any help beyond what I already knew from reading the logs.

I haven't placed any caches. When I do place a few, I do plan on reviewing logs when they get full and comparing it to the online logs. I think in order for it to count you have to sign the log to prove you have been there.

I'm sure if I place a lot of caches log verification will become less of a priority but if I only have a handful of hidden caches, I figure why not. It's pretty simple, you either find it or you don't. If you do, sign the log. You gone through all the effort to find the thing.

Edited by POWRcacher

No, I don't analyse anything. I do read the logs when they come in.

The most I've done is messaged someone who seemed confused/disappointed/upset by the cache, usually for the T/D setting.

I have deleted one log once because the cacher was a complete jerk in the log and was wrong about the log's condition (therefore I knew he wasn't really there) and lo' and behold, he didn't sign the log.

All things considered, my experience is pretty tame.

- Elle

"Boggy Woggy" should be out caching and posting some audacious logs for him/her to review when time permits between caching runs.....I don't think that I have ever gone "back" to review "my" logs that I have posted. I'm just glad that I have Spell Check...But, I do appreciate the audacious and informative logs when cachers log my hidden caches....It is a little better than...TNLN SL....but I'm guilty of that from time to time....but I always appreciate it if the cachers can not find the cache, please LOG a DNF.....Dang...Happy caching

I haven't placed any caches. When I do place a few, I do plan on reviewing logs when they get full and comparing it to the online logs. I think in order for it to count you have to sign the log to prove you have been there.

When you compare the logs, I'm not sure if people do it where you live, but here, people may sign in with a variation of their full caching name.

For instance, in CT, many people use shortcuts. I'll often sign in with Smark or SMK, friends do the same. Of if I'm with my son, The Skippers.

If we're with a group, rather than write out bubba42e, Cropalt, Mr_CacheHound, Skippermark, Skippermatt, Tuckerman6288, we may sign in with a shortcut like b42e, Crop, MCH, SMK, SMT, TUC or if the log is really small (like a Mr. Magneto or bison tube), we'll just use first initials BCMSST so we don't fill up half the log sheet.

1. Have I checked my cache's physical logs to make sure they check the online log?

- Nope. Too lazy. When it comes time for me to leave this area, tho, I will probably go photograph the log book pages.

2. Have I gone back through online logs -- either those of my caches or those of caches I've visted -- and read through the logs?

- Oh, heck, I do it all the time. I also want to see what other people have to say about them, especially ones I've visited. I also visit the logs of local caches I'd like to visit but haven't gotten to yet.

3. Am I trying to find people who are "beating the system"?

- I'm not sure what that means either. If you're talking about finding people who are logging caches online but not signing the physical log books, then heck no. WAY too much work. Otherwise, I'm not sure how I'd know whether the online log is legit.

I'm not about the numbers, tho. I think I would only seriously care if I went to a previously unfound cache, was FTF (and STL), and then got online only to discover that someone had logged themselves as FTF online. It's never happened, and if it did I'd just email the cache owner.

As The Leprechauns ask, is there a backstory to your question? ETA: when you say something like "all in good fun", it's sort of a suggestion that all is not really in good fun. So...what's goin' on?

Edited by Jackalgirl