Mountain Hiking Caches: Where are the REAL geocachers?

Decoski

I have planted three geocaches that require off-trail hiking in the mountains. I'm waiting to see how long the latest one will last before somebody visits it. I'm thinking that the FTF's will be the only visitors in any of these: "Isle of Phoenix" (the one I just planted), "South Cascades Adventure," and "Bald Eagle Lake." There seems to be few geocachers around here who are into adventurous geocaches - which I say are the ones most worth going for - and I'm wondering why these aren't more popular. Granted, they are more difficult to access, but they make for a more satisfying and memorable experience.

Yes, Thank you! Thank you! We like the out-of-the-way caches and we like to place caches in out-of-the-way areas also.

Sure, you'll get less people finding them, but the log entries will be MUCH more interesting to read! If you put a great cache way out in the woods, some people will write a book about their geocaching adventure. You place a skirt-lifter cache and you get lots of log entries like this:

"Got it. TFTH"

And from the cacher's standpoint, some of our most memorable caches have been in remote areas. So PLEASE don't stop placing them!

It seems to be the way of Geocaching. I placed a cache on 12/17/06. Granted it is a multi, but that is only to show people the whole area. It is a gimmie for a multi. All it takes to get to the cache is to drive 8 mile up a country road. This is the log from the last person to find it.

Found it on the most beautiful day of the year so far. It was clear it was crisp it was a lovely drive. We had no trouble finding it and really enjoyed the spot. On a side note, we passed the pet cemetery that took care of one of our beloved dogs which made the drive extra special for us. We ended the day at Mustard's Grill and jabbered about the drive up to the cache.

Thanks so much!

Took 2 marbles and left a green frog.

Since this cache was hidden over a year and a half ago it has been found 8 times. On the other hand I hid a cache close to my home. It is a micro in my neighborhood park. This park is simply some grass and trees and play equipment in an area that would otherwise be a few more house lots if the park hadn't been put in. It is nice for the kids to play, but nothing real special. I put the cache there for my own purposes and state so on the cache page. Here is a recent log from this cache.

signed log.
It was hidden 8/12/07 and in that year it has been found 73 times. I have been considering changing the multi to a traditional cache in the hope more people would find it. I have been reading a post about a cacher that seems to be logging caches all over the place while he never leaves home. Maybe that will be the next big thing in caching. :rolleyes:
There seems to be few geocachers around here who are into adventurous geocaches - which I say are the ones most worth going for

I'm glad you enjoy these, but it seems you may be a little self centered to think everyone should like them. There are lots of different cachers out there. To assume they should all like the same caches you do, or they must be lazy, or are not "real' Geocachers,is just a little offensive.

>I have planted three geocaches that require off-trail hiking in the mountains... I'm wondering why these aren't more popular.

They sound awesome. I look forward to doing some like yours... in ten years when the kids are off to college. Right now it's summer break and I can't even carve out five hours to do some regional park caches I'm dying to find. Probably plenty of folks are in similar boats.

I have planted three geocaches that require off-trail hiking in the mountains. I'm waiting to see how long the latest one will last before somebody visits it. I'm thinking that the FTF's will be the only visitors in any of these: "Isle of Phoenix" (the one I just planted), "South Cascades Adventure," and "Bald Eagle Lake." There seems to be few geocachers around here who are into adventurous geocaches - which I say are the ones most worth going for - and I'm wondering why these aren't more popular. Granted, they are more difficult to access, but they make for a more satisfying and memorable experience.

Does it have to be all OFF trail or does above 10,000 feet count as a mountain cache? :rolleyes:

Here's a picture from one of mine:

63a64ce6-cf96-439f-a61b-4b00412b35cb.jpg

Here's a couple more from that cache:

4912ee72-36c7-41bb-9478-bb0625f3f223.jpg

ba5f9911-6ce7-4d8f-8b1d-7d4eca5f2c2c.jpg

Here's another of mine...

df12d6b1-0f34-4e47-8b2e-4e5f62c449b6.jpg

And another...

9411623e-cbe8-438f-b66b-8bf864974019.jpg

And another:

27c1cd91-9aaf-499d-94e5-be2011a9505b.jpg

I have lots more REAL geocaches by your definition. They don't get visited often because of the difficulty getting to them, but it makes them real easy to maintain. Some of those are over 5 years old and NEVER really needed my revisits to check on them, but they also happen to be in places that I revisit often anyway...

They ARE popular though. Lots of people WANT to do them either by word of mouth or by my own shameless promotion. :rolleyes:

Some are listed in the top 1% lists of cachers with 10K+ finds and that is quite an honor. (Back meet Pat.) <_<

Where are the REAL geocachers?

To ME, the REAL geocachers never stop caching. Whether they are hiding, or finding, or just reading the forums or their watchlist and cache notifications.... It's ALLLLL geocaching. :)

IMO, you don't need to go OFF trail on a pointy rock to be considered a real cacher. :rolleyes:

Edited by Snoogans
There seems to be few geocachers around here who are into adventurous geocaches - which I say are the ones most worth going for

I'm glad you enjoy these, but it seems you may be a little self centered to think everyone should like them. There are lots of different cachers out there. To assume they should all like the same caches you do, or they must be lazy, or are not "real' Geocachers,is just a little offensive.

Jeesh. I knew I shoulda read the entire thread before I made my first post. Durn! All that typing fer nuthin'. :rolleyes:

There are lots of different cachers out there. To assume they should all like the same caches you do, or they must be lazy, or are not "real' Geocachers,is just a little offensive.

I was going to just agree with uxorious's post, but I did have to adjust the modifier. It's considerably offensive to suppose that cachers who choose not to find your caches are lazy.

People find geocaches for fun. They know what's going to be fun for them.

Geocaching isn't a "I can out-hike, out-bushwhack, out-survivalist" you competition. It's a fun family oriented hobby, with something for everyone. The people who do find your caches will likely enjoy them, being equal to the demands of the hiking. The people who don't find your caches will be enjoying whatever part of the game they like.

... Granted, they are more difficult to access, but they make for a more satisfying and memorable experience.

Back in the day to find a cache at all you had to find the mountain caches as well.

Even if we never saw a single urban cache come along the simple fact that as there are more remote difficult to access caches means less finds per cache.

It's all in the math.

Back in the day there were two in my area. Most all active cachers found both.

Now there are dozens upon dozens. I may get time 3 or 4 times a year to do one of these kinds of caches. Back in "the day" that was plenty of time to find both, and left me with a free weekend or two to boot. Now there are so many more than I could ever tackle that I still have hundreds that I'll never get to do and I have to choose. Every cacher has the same problem.

Now the real enthusiast who gets out every weekend may be able to keep up. More power to them. The average cacher has hiking as one of many things they enjoy, plus most of us have enough real life to keep us busy when we really would be caching. Kick in that there are urban caches that distract you before you get to the remote ones...

Patience is what you need as an owner of a remote cache these days. The logs are normally worth it but they are not something you will get to read as often as you may like.

Patience is right. I have a Geocache, Gem & Estelle, that I'm not sure will ever be found. I actually have my doubts. Too many easier, quicker caches abound, which are fine caches in their own right, and some of these mountainous ones off trail are just not something that the average geocacher would do. Add in a few dangers such as grizzlies and talus slopes and cliffs and it dwindles down to a select few.

I'm interested in how long mine will take to be found - it's going on 2 years now.

So look at it as a tribute to your cache placement that most pass it by, and not an indication of cachers in general. :rolleyes:

I agree with others in that "lazy" is an offensive adjective to use in this situation. You could say I'm lazy because I've been on a grand total of two "hikes" over 1 mile long this year... or you could say I've had a busy work schedule and my 3-year-old's little legs aren't capable of a lengthy hike (he did come along on a 4-mile CITO hike on the Cumberland Trail, but he rode on my shoulders most of the way).

Now that that's out of the way, THANK YOU for caring enough to place interesting caches in interesting places. Fewer visitors isn't a bad thing. The type of cacher who goes on long hikes is generally (not always) the type of cacher who is willing to do a little cache maintenance, to trade up, and to help you take care of your cache. Fewer cachers mean less of a chance to develope the tell-tale "geotrail" that tends to lead muggles to your cache. Basically, fewer visitors means less maintenance requirements.

I'll echo what the others have said. Thank you for placing caches that involve a hike and a challenge. :rolleyes: Those are my favorite kind of caches. :rolleyes:

Most of the caches I have placed involve a hike and many of those have not been found for many months. It seems there is a core group of "Hiking Cachers" around here, and once they have found the caches, the containers sit idle for a long, long time . . . :rolleyes:

I'm glad you enjoy these, but it seems you may be a little self centered to think everyone should like them. There are lots of different cachers out there. To assume they should all like the same caches you do, or they must be lazy, or are not "real' Geocachers, is just a little offensive.

I was going to just agree with uxorious's post, but I did have to adjust the modifier. It's considerably offensive to suppose that cachers who choose not to find your caches are lazy.

Yup.

It seems that some folks feel the need to start threads like these on occasion so they can let everyone else know just how correct and superior they are.

My question to Decoski would be this: If you're so certain your preference is the only proper one, and that one must cache as you do in order to be a "real" geocacher, then isn't that knowledge satisfying enough in itself? Why tell everyone else? Who, exactly, are you trying to convince?

If a person is confident enough that they are better than everyone else, then there is no need to convince others. I suspect it is only those who are insecure in their superiority who start these threads.

Just in case no one has noticed, the OP didn't say anything about anyone being lazy. That term was inserted by uxorious. :rolleyes:

The bit that offended me was being told that I'm not a "real" geocacher if I don't do things the way Decoski does.

Maybe he was being tongue-in-cheek; maybe he doesn’t really feel superior to less-hikey, less physically ambitious cachers, and maybe he in fact intended to make fun of those who do. If so, maybe he’ll come back and clarify.

Just in case no one has noticed, the OP didn't say anything about anyone being lazy. That term was inserted by uxorious. :rolleyes:

It's in the keywords under the post title that you see on the Geocaching Topics page.

So it is! Good catch.

I'd love to do the longer hike caches but time just doesn't permit it generally. Yard work, family stuff, career, etc get in the way and you only have so much free time.

Along the same note, there are certain cachers that *only* do long hikes and tough bushwacks. I admire those folks.

It's in the keywords under the post title that you see on the Geocaching Topics page.

So it is! Good catch.

Oops, never mind. :rolleyes: I guess I was a little lazy in my reading. :rolleyes:

Oops, never mind. I guess I was a little lazy in my reading.

Does that mean you are not a "real" reader? :rolleyes:

Maybe...and my apologies to you for my not being one. :rolleyes:

I agree with others that mountain hiking caches can be a lot of fun but just because someone doesn't do them certainly does NOT make them a lazy cacher. I wonder how many mountain hikes most of the folks in the rather substantial flatland areas of the USA have done. Are they lazy cachers? Are they real cachers? Some are probably a bit lazy, but so what. They are all real cachers. :rolleyes:

Patience is right. I have a Geocache, Gem & Estelle, that I'm not sure will ever be found. I actually have my doubts. Too many easier, quicker caches abound, which are fine caches in their own right, and some of these mountainous ones off trail are just not something that the average geocacher would do. Add in a few dangers such as grizzlies and talus slopes and cliffs and it dwindles down to a select few.

I'm interested in how long mine will take to be found - it's going on 2 years now.

So look at it as a tribute to your cache placement that most pass it by, and not an indication of cachers in general. <_<

This is my kind of cache! I once lived in northern Idaho and spent some time skiing at Schweitzer ski resort near Sandpoint. If I still lived there, trust me, I would be your FTF. I'd take bear spray and my rifle to fend off bears. This one looks like a lot of fun. I don't know either why it hasn't been visited yet.

If the OP is from Yuba City, and hid the caches anywhere NEAR his home, just wait, retiredprof will nab your caches in due time.

MrW.

They are east, hidden in the Sierra Nevada Mountains and northeast in the southern Cascades near Lake Almanor. I had a fourth and fifth one that are located close to paved roads up there. One of those gets lots of visitors - most likely not the REAL geocachers...just joking, folks.

Just in case no one has noticed, the OP didn't say anything about anyone being lazy. That term was inserted by uxorious. <_<

The bit that offended me was being told that I'm not a "real" geocacher if I don't do things the way Decoski does.

Maybe he was being tongue-in-cheek; maybe he doesn’t really feel superior to less-hikey, less physically ambitious cachers, and maybe he in fact intended to make fun of those who do. If so, maybe he’ll come back and clarify.

I was being facetious. Of course you are all real geocachers. The title was more out of frustration as to why more people aren't into such adventures. To methey are so much more satisfying and memorable to find than city caches, but I do realize that everyone is different. Forgive me the trollish title. I wanted to both air my frustration and get some responses as to why more people aren't into these. So I don't think that those of you who don't like hiking caches are lazy. I was just joking. But seriously, folks, those of you who haven't spent the time to go after such caches, and are physically able to do so, you will be glad you did!

Hi Decoski - thanks for coming back into the thread with a sense of humor.

I personally own a number of hides that have gone over a year without any finds; the trailheads are a distance from most towns, and then the distance from start to cache is more than many are willing/able to do. You get used to it. They get found now and then, and they give me cause to go back and check on the cache now and then. You may not ever know about it, but their very existence may be making some cachers happy. You know, fantasy adventures..... "for someday"

In my fifties, I got a kick out of doing 4+ rated caches with either VERY long hikes or equiptment required. Usually FTF for most. Left the park and cache grabs to CJ.

Fun hearing the youngsters ask what's the old fart taking - I want some.

With age comes a slowdown in healing. The lymes, numerous muscle tears and the infamous "left-pocket" sports hernia have taken their toll. All attributed to caching.

Out a month and just did a minor hill climb cache that was only 2 miles round trip. I was exhausted.

No longer a REAL geocacher, guess I'm just becoming lazy...

I was being facetious. Of course you are all real geocachers. The title was more out of frustration as to why more people aren't into such adventures. To methey are so much more satisfying and memorable to find than city caches, but I do realize that everyone is different.

Awesome! That is a much better sounding clarification than I imagined was even possible here.

If you’re new to the forums, you might be surprised to see how often people come through here to preach and brag how very superior they are simply because they are more outdoorsy than most – and mean every word of it. (They always strike me as having to make such noise out of feeling insecure about their superiority belief, but that's just my take.)

That wasn’t you, though. Just goes to remind me that it pays to give folks the benefit of the doubt sometimes.

Forgive me the trollish title.

Easily. My pleasure. <_<

Communicating in a text-only format can be tricky.

I wanted to both air my frustration and get some responses as to why more people aren't into these. So I don't think that those of you who don't like hiking caches are lazy. I was just joking. But seriously, folks, those of you who haven't spent the time to go after such caches, and are physically able to do so, you will be glad you did!

As you point out, not everyone is physically able to slog through miles of strenuous terrain in order to get to a remote geocache. The physical limitation is not the only one, however. Some folks live too far away from the wonderful experiences you describe, and don’t have the resources to easily get there. Others simply don’t have the necessary free time available to spend.

Limitations aside, there are of course others who just don’t care for that kind of experience. My wife, for example. She is not averse to exercise, and is in very good shape. She enjoys hiking, but only the relatively short hikes, and only if she can hike on a nice wide, clean trail that doesn’t involve slogging through mud, negotiating steep terrain, shoving bushes and tree limbs out of her face, dealing with bugs, or getting her hands, hair, etc. dirty. She enjoys Geocaching as long as she’s tagging along with me and well away from such places, and tends to prefer the urban, suburban, historical, clever, and theme-based type hides over the tough-terrain ones.

I’m curious why it would frustrate you to discover that some people have a different set of likes/dislikes, or a different set of limitations, from you? I usually see those differences as a good thing, not something to let annoy me.

It’s all a matter of preference. You and I say “toe-MAY-toe;” my wife says “Yuck! Look at my SHOES!!”

Just in case no one has noticed, the OP didn't say anything about anyone being lazy. That term was inserted by uxorious. <_<

Hey, I just noticed the thread subtitle has now been changed. Cool!

Edited by KBI

Not to be contrary, but speaking about the Bald Eagle Lake Cache, I'd say that access right about now could be part of the problem :P:D

4d392af1-bef7-47f6-8ae1-483b6ae5842e.jpg

I don't live up in that area, but it appears that Hwy 70 might be closed, making the shortest route to the cache site several miles longer :D

And just in defence of us wimpier cachers out there :D I will say that the air quality is pretty bad throughout Northern California due to the >1000 wildfires burning. We thought we could get out of the smoke layer by going up above 10,000 feet in Yosemite a couple of weeks ago, but think again...they had 5 active fires within the Park alone :D

Awesome group of caches Decoski! Can't wait for my next trip up North <_<

Edited by Touchstone

Not to be contrary, but speaking about the Bald Eagle Lake Cache, I'd say that access right about now could be part of the problem :rolleyes::rolleyes:

4d392af1-bef7-47f6-8ae1-483b6ae5842e.jpg

I don't live up in that area, but it appears that Hwy 70 might be closed, making the shortest route to the cache site several miles longer :sunsure:

And just in defence of us wimpier cachers out there :blink: I will say that the air quality is pretty bad throughout Northern California due to the >1000 wildfires burning. We thought we could get out of the smoke layer by going up above 10,000 feet in Yosemite a couple of weeks ago, but think again...they had 5 active fires within the Park alone :blink:

Awesome group of caches Decoski! Can't wait for my next trip up North :lol:

The best way to access the Bald Eagle Lake geocache is actually to go up the Bucks Lake Highway, a road not shown on your map. It starts as Oro Dam Blvd. in Oroville, crosses Lake Oroville and then curves north-northeast and is east of the closed highway 70. You need to get a Plumas National Forest map at the ranger station in Oroville, and you can easily find your route there. On the way, is an easily accessible cache I planted named "Christmas Tree Point." Hope to see your log soon!

I was being facetious. Of course you are all real geocachers. The title was more out of frustration as to why more people aren't into such adventures. To methey are so much more satisfying and memorable to find than city caches, but I do realize that everyone is different.

Awesome! That is a much better sounding clarification than I imagined was even possible here.

If you’re new to the forums, you might be surprised to see how often people come through here to preach and brag how very superior they are simply because they are more outdoorsy than most – and mean every word of it. (They always strike me as having to make such noise out of feeling insecure about their superiority belief, but that's just my take.)

That wasn’t you, though. Just goes to remind me that it pays to give folks the benefit of the doubt sometimes.

Forgive me the trollish title.

Easily. My pleasure. :rolleyes:

Communicating in a text-only format can be tricky.

I wanted to both air my frustration and get some responses as to why more people aren't into these. So I don't think that those of you who don't like hiking caches are lazy. I was just joking. But seriously, folks, those of you who haven't spent the time to go after such caches, and are physically able to do so, you will be glad you did!

As you point out, not everyone is physically able to slog through miles of strenuous terrain in order to get to a remote geocache. The physical limitation is not the only one, however. Some folks live too far away from the wonderful experiences you describe, and don’t have the resources to easily get there. Others simply don’t have the necessary free time available to spend.

Limitations aside, there are of course others who just don’t care for that kind of experience. My wife, for example. She is not averse to exercise, and is in very good shape. She enjoys hiking, but only the relatively short hikes, and only if she can hike on a nice wide, clean trail that doesn’t involve slogging through mud, negotiating steep terrain, shoving bushes and tree limbs out of her face, dealing with bugs, or getting her hands, hair, etc. dirty. She enjoys Geocaching as long as she’s tagging along with me and well away from such places, and tends to prefer the urban, suburban, historical, clever, and theme-based type hides over the tough-terrain ones.

I’m curious why it would frustrate you to discover that some people have a different set of likes/dislikes, or a different set of limitations, from you? I usually see those differences as a good thing, not something to let annoy me.

It’s all a matter of preference. You and I say “toe-MAY-toe;” my wife says “Yuck! Look at my SHOES!!”

The frustration stems from the thought that there has to be more people into these kind of caches, yet so few people seem to go for them.

In my fifties, I got a kick out of doing 4+ rated caches with either VERY long hikes or equiptment required. Usually FTF for most. Left the park and cache grabs to CJ.

Fun hearing the youngsters ask what's the old fart taking - I want some.

With age comes a slowdown in healing. The lymes, numerous muscle tears and the infamous "left-pocket" sports hernia have taken their toll. All attributed to caching.

Out a month and just did a minor hill climb cache that was only 2 miles round trip. I was exhausted.

No longer a REAL geocacher, guess I'm just becoming lazy...

My sympathies to you. My dad got Lyme Disease before anyone knew what it was, and now suffers immensely from it.

Someday, I hope to be a real geocacher. But it's a tricky process, especially when the definitions keep changing.

I'm trying to reconcile the apparent inconsistencies in the definitions of what "real" geocachers and geocaches are, as defined by authoritative voices -- "authoritative" in this case being those that use the word "REAL" in all caps in their topic titles.

So here I am, thinking about shedding my Pinocchio status and becoming real. I read this thread, which assures me that real caches involve a long and difficult hike, and then I recall the "Micros are the only REAL Geocaches!" thread from a week or two ago. That one had me convinced that real caching involves a stealthy search for a micro in crowded public places. My head starts spinning.

I diligently search for remote mountaintop caches that involve a climb up to a spot teeming with muggles, where a nano has been hidden under the snack bar counter. But I can't find any within 100 miles. :sad:

So now I am working it from the other direction: I have planned my next cache trek to an urban park&grab in the nearest large city. I will go there at noon on a busy, sunny weekend, for the maximum muggle challenge. But it won't be a P&G for me: I will park 7 miles away from the cache, and wear a 40-pound pack filled with food, water, first-aid kit, emergency supplies, raingear, compass, maps, and a laptop. Part of the hike will involve walking on the yellow lines between lanes on a busy street, so that fighting through traffic can simulate slogging through a raging stream. I will climb on some parked cars along the way, to simulate scrambling over boulders. I will intentionally annoy dogs that I see in yards along the way; when they chase me I will run away as if they were bears (big dogs) or wolves/coyotes (smaller dogs). I'll try to go through people's bushes and shrubbery, too, for that off-trail bushwhackin' feeling.

At last I will arrive at the cache site: hot, sweaty, wishing I had brought more water, and perhaps bleeding from my romp through the roses and forsythia bushes. I will try to act as inconspicuous as possible, as I grope around stop signs, guard rails, water fountains, and occupied park benches. When at last I have the elusive nano in hand, I will triumphantly squeeze my initials onto the tiny log-scrap. With a sense of great satisfaction, I will take a picture of the stunning sunset over the municipal parking lot, knowing that I am, at last, a real cacher.

I can hardly wait.

"Real Geocachers"can be found hugging Wal-Mart lamp posts! Just kidding. :sad:

Someday, I hope to be a real geocacher. But it's a tricky process, especially when the definitions keep changing.

I'm trying to reconcile the apparent inconsistencies in the definitions of what "real" geocachers and geocaches are, as defined by authoritative voices -- "authoritative" in this case being those that use the word "REAL" in all caps in their topic titles.

So here I am, thinking about shedding my Pinocchio status and becoming real. I read this thread, which assures me that real caches involve a long and difficult hike, and then I recall the "Micros are the only REAL Geocaches!" thread from a week or two ago. That one had me convinced that real caching involves a stealthy search for a micro in crowded public places. My head starts spinning.

I diligently search for remote mountaintop caches that involve a climb up to a spot teeming with muggles, where a nano has been hidden under the snack bar counter. But I can't find any within 100 miles. :sad:

So now I am working it from the other direction: I have planned my next cache trek to an urban park&grab in the nearest large city. I will go there at noon on a busy, sunny weekend, for the maximum muggle challenge. But it won't be a P&G for me: I will park 7 miles away from the cache, and wear a 40-pound pack filled with food, water, first-aid kit, emergency supplies, raingear, compass, maps, and a laptop. Part of the hike will involve walking on the yellow lines between lanes on a busy street, so that fighting through traffic can simulate slogging through a raging stream. I will climb on some parked cars along the way, to simulate scrambling over boulders. I will intentionally annoy dogs that I see in yards along the way; when they chase me I will run away as if they were bears (big dogs) or wolves/coyotes (smaller dogs). I'll try to go through people's bushes and shrubbery, too, for that off-trail bushwhackin' feeling.

At last I will arrive at the cache site: hot, sweaty, wishing I had brought more water, and perhaps bleeding from my romp through the roses and forsythia bushes. I will try to act as inconspicuous as possible, as I grope around stop signs, guard rails, water fountains, and occupied park benches. When at last I have the elusive nano in hand, I will triumphantly squeeze my initials onto the tiny log-scrap. With a sense of great satisfaction, I will take a picture of the stunning sunset over the municipal parking lot, knowing that I am, at last, a real cacher.

I can hardly wait.

You're really funny. Too bad you missed my post above explaining that my OP was pure facetiousness. Thanks for playing anyways. :sad: