Movie caches

There are a few puzzle caches in my local area that are based on movies...specifically chick flicks. I really like the idea and have a few movies in mind (mostly comedies).

The idea is that you have to watch the movie to get clues to solve the puzzle and get the coordinates.

So what is your opinion on this? I get the impression that many cachers spend hours working on puzzle caches but is this too much trouble for a cache find?

Wow! I love chicks! Could you give me the names of some of those chick flicks? We have about eighteen adorable hens here, as well as four great roosters, and they were each adorable baby chicks at one point, and indeed, we raised many of them by hand as baby chicks. However, I was not aware that there were any full-length films about baby chicks, and I was stunned and amazed -- and EXTREMELY happy -- to read in your post that there is apparently an entire genre of films called "chick flicks"! So, I would much appreciate it if you would steer me toward some chick flicks by sharing the names of these films with me; I particularly prefer Barred Plymouth Rock chicks, Silkie chicks, and Rhode Island Red chicks! Thank you very much!

Oh, and to answer your question, yes, I would LOVE it if there were a cache based upon knowledge garnered from having watched films with cute baby chicks in them! That sounds great to me!

There are a few puzzle caches in my local area that are based on movies...specifically chick flicks. I really like the idea and have a few movies in mind (mostly comedies).

The idea is that you have to watch the movie to get clues to solve the puzzle and get the coordinates.

So what is your opinion on this? I get the impression that many cachers spend hours working on puzzle caches but is this too much trouble for a cache find?

Chick Flix? I hope you haven't ruled out some subversive plot.

In my experience, the more work a cache makes you do, the less sought after it is going to be. This goes for both mental and physical work. So.. if you are asking this to ascertain if this sort of cache would attract a lot of seekers, I'd say no. Would people enjoy the cache? I suppose that boils down to how they feel about your taste in comedies and how well you were able to weave your cache into the plot.

It's a balance and a conscious choice you have to make. Do you want to appeal to a ton of people or amaze a select few? There's no right or wrong in this but I see no case for not giving it a shot.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Wow! I love chicks! Could you give me the names of some of those chick flicks? We have about eighteen adorable hens here, as well as four great roosters, and they were each adorable baby chicks at one point, and indeed, we raised many of them by hand as baby chicks. However, I was not aware that there were any full-length films about baby chicks, and I was stunned and amazed -- and EXTREMELY happy -- to read in your post that there is apparently an entire genre of films called "chick flicks"! So, I would much appreciate it if you would steer me toward some chick flicks by sharing the names of these films with me; I particularly prefer Barred Plymouth Rock chicks, Silkie chicks, and Rhode Island Red chicks! Thank you very much!

Oh, and to answer your question, yes, I would LOVE it if there were a cache based upon knowledge garnered from having watched films with cute baby chicks in them! That sounds great to me!

::sigh::

LoL @ V&ST. I can't recall all of the movies in the other cacher's series - but 2 that I recall are 'When Harry Met Sally' and 'Sweet Home Alabama' so I think those definitely qualify as chick flicks. And I happen to love many chick flicks so B)

And to Team Geoblast - I pretty much figured it would cut down on the visits to the cache. Most puzzle caches get fewer hits than non-puzzle caches so that's not my worry as much as the concern that people might be offended by my choice of film or just not bother at all since they'd potentially have to spend money to rent the movie to get the clues.

For instance (not the movie I'm actually planning to choose) take Animal House. Not a family-friendly movie and there is some language and nudity in it. Would that be frowned upon by the reviewer?

Would I have to stick to "G" rated films? If that were the case then I'd probably not bother if I were the person seeking the cache. I mean, I had to watch 'Cinderella' about 3 million times when my daughter was a youngster. I certainly wouldn't want to watch it again!

But 'The Wizard of Oz' could be fun... right? <_<

This is actually one of the only puzzle caches that I can do. Math, tricky word puzzles, mind benders. all frustrate me. But I can do these kinds, and a lot of the times I've already watched the movie. I say go ahead!

I just found this one near Seattle: Shiny! (A Browncoat Cache). It's based on a movie and an awesome short-lived tv show. I had the answer in a few minutes, and now I'm just waiting for my next trip in that direction so that I can find the cache. <_<B)

chickenrun1ne7.jpg

You could totally blow Vinny's mind and orient your cache around "Chicken Run".

But 'The Wizard of Oz' could be fun... right? <_<

I think you are right on in that you need to select the movie carefully. I'd choose a timeless classic over the latest box office hit.

There is one near my location based on "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World". It's not found very often but it's moving up on my list of caches to do as it's currently the 8th closest cache that I haven't find (at 12 miles from home). The owner has placed some hints on the listing that theoretically allows you to solve it without watching the movie but you'd pretty much have to had watched it at some time in the past to decode the clues.

chick_flick.jpg

I had fun rewatching "A Christmas Story" for the 48th time to answer questions and find a cache awhile back. Not a big fan of so called Chick Flicks, but why not. Hey I know, I'll give Mommy the question sheet and let her watch the thing while I go mow the grass or go caching. Coords all found for me when I come back..........

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I'm gonna give it a go. Now I just have to decide on which movie on my list (I have about 10 I'm seriously considering) I'm going to choose. And it won't be a "chick flick" but it ain't gonna be Rambo either. <_<

I'm still curious about using a movie with an "R" rating though. Does anyone think this will be a problem?

Why not do one for finding nemo or something like that. Kids and adults alike enjoy those! (I cant wait for wall e to come out!)

Me either!!!

When we took the kids to see Horton Hears a Who (son's very first movie experience), we saw the preview for it and my daughter got pretty excited about it.

We went to see the new Indiana Jones and the preview for Wall E was really long. It seems there is a love story in it.

Hmmm... OP could do a series on the Indiana Jones series (or should I save that idea for myself) :grin:

Why not do one for finding nemo or something like that. Kids and adults alike enjoy those! (I cant wait for wall e to come out!)

We have a local cacher that has come up with a whole series called Cache and a Movie, here are some examples:

Cache and a Movie #1

Cache and a movie #2

Cache and a movie #3

She's created 8 of them. All are good movies. I have a horrible habit of getting all the clues, then losing my results. That, and I'm lazy and hate puzzle caches!

I've been thinking about hiding a cache like this for a while. The only concern I have is that it may force geocachers to go spend money on a movie.

Hmmm - sounds like advertising to me... better not submit it, it probably won't ever get published.

I've been thinking about hiding a cache like this for a while. The only concern I have is that it may force geocachers to go spend money on a movie.

Hmmm - sounds like advertising to me... better not submit it, it probably won't ever get published.

But they already have been published. There are 3-4 in my local area that I already know of.

Make it a really awful movie, perhaps somethihng starring Jan Michael Vincent or Pia Zadora, and make sure the clues are near the end. heheheh

You mean like this cache? :rolleyes:

Um are you suggesting that The Goonies is "a really awful movie"?! :lol: But it's an iconic classic for children of the 80's! I mean you have adventure, and treasure, and your dopey antagonist villains, how can you not like it?! Well I guess we are all entitled to our opinion... :lol:

Oh...and on most movies, if you really rather not watch it, you can always use your search engine. But I guess that would be cheating :o

edit: spelling

Edited by butrflybec

This is actually one of the only puzzle caches that I can do. Math, tricky word puzzles, mind benders. all frustrate me. But I can do these kinds, and a lot of the times I've already watched the movie. I say go ahead!

I just found this one near Seattle: Shiny! (A Browncoat Cache). It's based on a movie and an awesome short-lived tv show. I had the answer in a few minutes, and now I'm just waiting for my next trip in that direction so that I can find the cache. :rolleyes::lol:

You gonna stop and visit on your way by? :lol:

In general, I would not be interested in having to watch a movie to get clues to find a cache.

I did one that required driving around Queens to find locations used in movies and tv. I had no idea what Archie Bunker's house looked like! I'm lucky that I got it in the picture at all!

Make it a really awful movie, perhaps somethihng starring Jan Michael Vincent or Pia Zadora, and make sure the clues are near the end. heheheh

Hey! Baby Blue Marine was a good movie!

movie caches are quite the rage in my area.

i'm not doing them.

i am also not doing the stupid puzzles based on the guy's mother and favorite restaurant.

and if you drunk-called me last year, i ignore caches you placed, too.

I just found this one near Seattle: Shiny! (A Browncoat Cache). It's based on a movie and an awesome short-lived tv show. I had the answer in a few minutes, and now I'm just waiting for my next trip in that direction so that I can find the cache. :):laughing:

You gonna stop and visit on your way by? ;)

Why, of course! :):laughing: