Empty cache found with note inside telling us off

Adium

I discovered a cache today and when I opened it everything was emptied and there was a plastic bag with this note in it.

5173c74f-191e-424e-9d10-71077304527a.jpg

The first cache of the day, and nothing could of ticked me off more. I looked there is the user name jackboot but they have no profile, no finds, no nothing. It doesn't mean that this is the guy, but it does make me wonder.

There is an icon on the right that looked pretty official for a black and white pic, stating that this was done my the police department. However if it was the police department I highly doubt that they would of claimed credit to the name "Jackboot".

I am just a little worked up and want some blood. I can't understand why someone would play the game, only to ruin it for others.

I did have trouble locating the cache using the turn-by-turn directions on my GPS. It wanted me to stop on the highway. The cache was in the back end of a park against a fence which was closer to the highway and not the park entrance road. It wasn't near any utility access roads either.

Is there a way to get some blood for this or do I need to go take a calming walk?

EDIT: Spelling errors

Edited by Adium

It doesn't sound official to me. Sounds more like the makings of a cache maggot. Any other reports in you area of such activity? I know they have some problems north of you.

What to do is a tough question. At this point I'd say the cache owner should move the cache and see what happens.

Hope it is an isolated incident.

I think you should take geocache and the note and march into the police station, ask to see sargeant and demand an explanation. If you cannot give you an acceptable answer, demand to see Chief O'Hara.

Make a citizens arrest if necessary.

Demand a refund for your Policeman's Ball tickets.

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to take the pic to the local New York State Police Post and make an inquiry about it. If it WAS officially done, they could certainly have done their job in a more tactful and professional manner IMO.

Not to mention, if it is real they could have done the job more effectively by having the cache archived rather than leaving it there to be found again and again. Doesn't make much sense to say "play your game elsewhere" and leave the game-piece in place does it?

First time I have seen it myself (100 finds as of today, WOOHOO!!!) but ran into another cacher who has over 1,000 finds and we discussed if it was really the police. There is a micro at the other end of the park, concluded that he couldn't find it, so destroyed this one. Both hid by the same person.

Edited by Adium

I think you should take geocache and the note and march into the police station, ask to see sargeant and demand an explanation. If you cannot give you an acceptable answer, demand to see Chief O'Hara.

Yeah, so I was pulled over one time and the Policeman was about to give me a ticket and I offered to buy a couple tickets the the policeman's ball when the nice officer said "we don't have any balls" :laughing: at which point we both giggled and he let me go. or at least that's how the urban legend goes. :D

I think a calming walk is probably the best answer. I myself would contact the police department though and find out if they had a hand in it or not.

That's the thing that makes this really confusing. The police wouldn't of laid claim to "Jackboot", but if not the police why include the icon? Too make your demands more threatening?

Yeah, so I was pulled over one time and the Policeman was about to give me a ticket and I offered to buy a couple tickets the the policeman's ball when the nice officer said "we don't have any balls" :laughing: at which point we both giggled and he let me go. or at least that's how the urban legend goes. :D

ROFLMAO!!!!!

I don't think a legit officer is going to use a handle in a response like that. They would leave a real name, badge number and contact info. For some reason, this joker wanted the cache out of the area and is trying to scare you off. I'd go to the station and file a complaint, and after verifying that there is no "Jackboot" working there, I'd set up a dozen more caches, and if it were me, I'd set up an IR camera to "boot".

Why would this person say to play the game away from the park??? ...

Frequently, we have seen local people feel that they own the park. Typically, this is someone that lives within view of the park and doesn't want strangers using their park.

I adopted a cache last October that's on a path between 2 roads with houses and townhouses on either side, within plain view. It had gone missing once since I adopted it. Recently there have been reports of a homeowner yelling at cachers trying to find this one, saying "get out of here, it's gone, don't come back." After a few of these reports, I went to check on it and it was still there (thankfully because it is well-hidden). Finally one of my fellow cachers reported the house number of the person yelling at them. Oh boy... talk about wanting blood and being able to take it! But I did th ewhole "take a walk" thing and feel a little better. I have not yet decided whether I should talk to the homeowner, talk to the police saying this person is causing a disturbance, or if I should just let it go. I recently discovered there is a very similar hiding spot down the path about 40 feet, so I might try to move it there, which wouldn't be right in front of "residence 7992," but I hate to just "give in" like that for a muggle that can't even seem to find the container him/herself.

Kojones

Frequently, we have seen local people feel that they own the park. Typically, this is someone that lives within view of the park and doesn't want strangers using their park.

I adopted a cache last October that's on a path between 2 roads with houses and townhouses on either side, within plain view. It had gone missing once since I adopted it. Recently there have been reports of a homeowner yelling at cachers trying to find this one, saying "get out of here, it's gone, don't come back." After a few of these reports, I went to check on it and it was still there (thankfully because it is well-hidden). Finally one of my fellow cachers reported the house number of the person yelling at them. Oh boy... talk about wanting blood and being able to take it! But I did th ewhole "take a walk" thing and feel a little better. I have not yet decided whether I should talk to the homeowner, talk to the police saying this person is causing a disturbance, or if I should just let it go. I recently discovered there is a very similar hiding spot down the path about 40 feet, so I might try to move it there, which wouldn't be right in front of "residence 7992," but I hate to just "give in" like that for a muggle that can't even seem to find the container him/herself.

Kojones

I'd move the cache. The alternative is a battle that you will never be able to win.

I have heard of some people going on to the Geocaching Website only to find caches and then either muggle them or destroy them.

I know people who have admitted to this.

They do it because they think it makes them look big and adventurous.

I'm not sure if this is the same idea but it also seems like someone is trying to act like a cache policeman.

Kojones

I'd move the cache. The alternative is a battle that you will never be able to win.

I had a cache once that had problems with the neighbours nearby. They would harass the people coming to the cache. It really got to me how they were acting, in an unfounded manner that seemed so unfair. But I finally just archived the cache. There are so many places that I can hide caches, and it's just a game. If it's truly upsetting somebody near their home like that, it's probably not worth it. <sigh>

Wow.

First, I doubt a police officer would do such a thing. Most likely would give his full name, rank, department, etc. The "Jackboot" thing seems more of a "cache police" thing. Kind of catchy if you ask me.

Second, why has no one to the this point mention permission? Wouldn't the first thing one should do, especially in a park where there in an easily identifiable superintendent, is ask about the cache being picked up? Oh, wait, what was I thinking? Permission?

Third, I think the person took the contents and left the container with a note as a statement to future seekers. Why would any thinking person sign up on this site to create a profile so Jeremy et al. could track them? If it is a cache maggot, it's going to be one that is hard to stop. Smart enough to not sign up to operate under a "maggot" profile and probably reading this very thread. (...and thus gathering intelligence on your reactions.) It really sounds like another cacher to me.

Fourth, leaving the note prevents future cachers from tearing up the area in vane hopes of finding the cache. Again, making a statement, not providing tracking links, possible concern for the environment: sounds like another cacher.

Fifth, if a cache is bothering the locals why not move it and be a better citizen? If there were strangers skulking about near my home at all hours I'd probably be upset, too. I don't understand what appears to me as a sense of entitlement of "I can put my cache anywhere I please as long as I can get it listed." Bothering the locals could bring a lot of heat depending on how far they want to take it.

My advise to the OP: post a note if you haven't already done so. I'd probably post an SBA. Yes, I know not everyone is going to agree with that. After that, cache on!

My advice to the CO: get at least tacit permission before replacing the cache, if you haven't already. This will let you know it's not the management picking your cache and if anyone approaches you then you can ask them to go talk to so-and-so about it.

I would have flipped over the note they left and started it up as the replacement log book! :laughing::D:cry::D:anibad::wub::DB):DB)

At least till the cache owner could replace it himself! :D:D:DB)

I did exactly that, left my signature stamp right in the middle of the note then wrote, "This doesn't sounds fair to the side". As well as my signiture item, (a 30 pin memory chip, that is about 25 years old). Saw two other cachers that were leaving the micro at the other end of the park, I about ran over to grill them about this cache, but wasn't 100% that they were cachers.

I went and grabbed the micro and turned around and they were looking for the confiscated cache. Met up with them there and one of them left another piece of paper. We were both stumped and couldn't believe this happened

If you haven't already, make sure you contact the owner, or at least log the cache to let them know what's up. The owner can decide the next step.

I did contact the owner and he didn't get a hold of me until this morning. He temporarily archived the cache and left this note.

I will check on this soon. The cache is in the Town Park inside of the fence. It has been there for two years with out a problem. Looks like Jackboot is a cache bandit with a calling card. Thanks for the heads up guys and please this is only a game so lets still have our fun even if someone else feels we shouldn't. bullseye1

Thanks again and hope we meet on the trail someday. Happy Caching!!

You should organize a geoevent in the park.

If it was the police they would have called in the bomb squad and blown it up. Not leave a torn piece of paper.

It wasn't a torn piece of paper, it was nice and neat, and they even placed it in a ziplock bag. It looks like they went deliberately out of their way to muggle the cache and leave this note.

Not that it would be a high priority that they'd send out C.S.I. to investigate...But I know for a fact that the NYSP would be very interested in that piece of paper and some info about the cache location.

The police take impersonators VERY seriously.

I can't see this happening. This guy didn't really impersonate an officer, he just used a picture of a cop car. It's just confusing cause the picture is totally irrelevant to caching or the guy who took the cache.

1. It's a cache maggot. They have appointed themselves the regional cache police. They have planned ahead and printed up notices including an image from the State Police website.

2. They are not acting in any official capacity. Anyone with any legal claim to the area and the regulation of caching in that spot would identify themselves and contact geocaching.com or Groundspeak, not simply remove the contents and leave that note.

3. Ignore them and maybe they will go away. Give them the attention they crave and they will grow like some nasty mold in the crawlspace of an old abandoned house.

4. I doubt the police will bother to get involved unless there are copyright issues by using the image from the website. No self respecting LEO would ever refer to themselves as jackboot.

I see where he got the photo NY State Police

Yea, just because some yahoo steals a graphic from a web page doesn't mean that the people who own the graphic approve of it's use or are in any way involved.

I would have flipped over the note they left and started it up as the replacement log book! :laughing::D:cry::D:anibad::wub::DB):DB)

At least till the cache owner could replace it himself! :D:D:DB)

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'd make a Needs Maintenance log, say what I had found, then finally make sure to mention the replacement log that someone kindly left.

Wow.

First, I doubt a police officer would do such a thing. Most likely would give his full name, rank, department, etc. The "Jackboot" thing seems more of a "cache police" thing. Kind of catchy if you ask me.

Second, why has no one to the this point mention permission? Wouldn't the first thing one should do, especially in a park where there in an easily identifiable superintendent, is ask about the cache being picked up? Oh, wait, what was I thinking? Permission?

Third, I think the person took the contents and left the container with a note as a statement to future seekers. Why would any thinking person sign up on this site to create a profile so Jeremy et al. could track them? If it is a cache maggot, it's going to be one that is hard to stop. Smart enough to not sign up to operate under a "maggot" profile and probably reading this very thread. (...and thus gathering intelligence on your reactions.) It really sounds like another cacher to me.

Fourth, leaving the note prevents future cachers from tearing up the area in vane hopes of finding the cache. Again, making a statement, not providing tracking links, possible concern for the environment: sounds like another cacher.

Fifth, if a cache is bothering the locals why not move it and be a better citizen? If there were strangers skulking about near my home at all hours I'd probably be upset, too. I don't understand what appears to me as a sense of entitlement of "I can put my cache anywhere I please as long as I can get it listed." Bothering the locals could bring a lot of heat depending on how far they want to take it.

My advise to the OP: post a note if you haven't already done so. I'd probably post an SBA. Yes, I know not everyone is going to agree with that. After that, cache on!

My advice to the CO: get at least tacit permission before replacing the cache, if you haven't already. This will let you know it's not the management picking your cache and if anyone approaches you then you can ask them to go talk to so-and-so about it.

This is an obvious cry for attention. I mean no offense by this but the worst thing you could do is start a thread like this and draw more attention to this prank. There is no question that this is a cacher and not the police because the police are not going to go all the way out there, locate the can, and put the customized fancy note in it without any contact information.

Whoever did this was hoping for a reaction just like you provided. With as little fanfare as possible this cache should be removed with nothing mentioned on the cache page, local, or national forums. Anything more is just encouragement to continue.

I discovered a cache today and when I opened it everything was emptied and there was a plastic bag with this note in it.

The first cache of the day, and nothing could of ticked me off more. I looked there is the user name jackboot but they have no profile, no finds, no nothing. It doesn't mean that this is the guy, but it does make me wonder.

There is an icon on the right that looked pretty official for a black and white pic, stating that this was done my the police department. However if it was the police department I highly doubt that they would of claimed credit to the name "Jackboot".

I am just a little worked up and want some blood. I can't understand why someone would play the game, only to ruin it for others.

I did have trouble locating the cache using the turn-by-turn directions on my GPS. It wanted me to stop on the highway. The cache was in the back end of a park against a fence which was closer to the highway and not the park entrance road. It wasn't near any utility access roads either.

Is there a way to get some blood for this or do I need to go take a calming walk?

Is it horrible of me that I think you should turn the paper over and start a new log on the back of that? Basically - keep playing the game as it was planned. Fine the things are missing, but he's supplied a new log.

(not sure if someone else posted this idea already)

Its probably some nutbar living near the park that has noticed people parking nearby or walking to this particular area of the park and investigated. As a result they found the cache, found out what it is, read up on it some and then put this in its place.

Or its another cacher being a jerk.

Either way, the cache owner should replace it with an empty cache and note for now, then someone sit in the bushes and snipe the jackboot with a paintball gun. We will worry about how to tell who is jackboot later...LOL Shoot first ask questions later.

I know this isn't helping. Its a shame.

Not that it would be a high priority that they'd send out C.S.I. to investigate...But I know for a fact that the NYSP would be very interested in that piece of paper and some info about the cache location.

The police take impersonators VERY seriously.

I can't see this happening. This guy didn't really impersonate an officer, he just used a picture of a cop car. It's just confusing cause the picture is totally irrelevant to caching or the guy who took the cache.

There is an icon on the right that looked pretty official for a black and white pic, stating that this was done my the police department.

In one post you say that the "icon looked pretty official" and "that this was done [by] the police department". Then you saw that "[t]his guy didn't really impersonate an officer". :laughing:

Wow.

The cache wasn't 'picked up'. It was emptied. Park management wouldn't empty out a cache and leave a 'jackboot' note.

Your favored 'permission' argument is not pertainent to this thread.

Thank you for explaining the obvious.
You're off base. The cache in question is not in view of homes.
Why would you post an SBA? Based solely on this thread and the cache page, there is no reason to believe that the cache must be archived.
Again, it clearly isn't the management of the park that is pretending to be a state trooper.

Every thread doesn't conform to your favorite complaints.

...Is there a way to get some blood for this or do I need to go take a calming walk?...

Plan A. The one more likely.

Take a calming walk. Suck the fun out of the cache maggots fun. Turn your back on them, ignore their existance, or have fun at their expence. That you can do. Easily.

Blan B. The one not so likely.

Hire a PI.

Hire a Lawyer.

Use both of them to force the legal system to find, charge, try, and punish the offender who is in fact breaking the law. The issue is that a cache is #3918745987492875978 on the priority list and you won't get real help from the system so you are on your own.

Plan C. Also not likely.

If by chance you figure it out you can take advantage of the low priority for certain minor infractions to extract justice that the system doesn't have time for.

Every thread doesn't conform to your favorite complaints.

But, apparently it does for you if I post to it. My post wasn't solely about the OP, but views expressed in this thread in general. You should have gotten that if you read everything in context.

Again, it clearly isn't the management of the park that is pretending to be a state trooper.
Thank you for pointing out the obvious, too! Actually, I don't see anyone pretending to be any government official. Just one look at the note and no thinking person would assume this is an official note.

Why would you post an SBA? Based solely on this thread and the cache page, there is no reason to believe that the cache must be archived.
Based solely on this thread and the cache page, there is no reason it shouldn't. In fact, as it stands, it is not a viable cache, now is it? No logbook. If the cache owner fixes it then it shouldn't be archived, now should it? SBA is the not an acronym for "I Demand You Archive This Cache!"

You're off base. The cache in question is not in view of homes.
No, but one of the caches mentioned in this thread was. That is what I was addressing.

Your favored 'permission' argument is not pertainent to this thread.
You don't know it isn't. My post was the first to address any permission issue. You don't know if the maggot asked about permission and got a blank look from the management. That could be an invitation to do what he did. If the answer had been "Sure, we have caches here, here, and here" then that scenario might have been different. Not saying this scenario even came up, but if it were me and in an area where I had assumed implied permission I'd start seeking more information.

Additionally, I don't know why my "favored 'permission' argument" would be thrown back in my face. Isn't one of the primary, though widely ignored, tenets of this hobby is one should have adequate permission?

In one post you say that the "icon looked pretty official" and "that this was done [by] the police department". Then you saw that "[t]his guy didn't really impersonate an officer". :laughing:

It does look pretty official, but using a graphic doesn't mean that person is a cop.

When I lived in Tennessee, I had the police department call me and try to sell me a sticker to help support the local police department. (vs. tickets to the ball I guess) The sticker was of a star badge and most people would stick them on there car. Yes, it looks official and it was. However it doesn't mean that person was a cop.

Same thing here, it was a decent quality graphic that I haven't seen before (now someone has given me the link to the pic, so question there answered). At the same time he didn't reference it, it was just there. The relation of the pic to the cache just adds to the confusion.

I guess I am saying that I can see where a lawyer would argue that he didn't impersonate an officer. Also the graphic is owned by the State Police which is a government organization. The government is not allowed to copyright any government material. They have laws that only protect how the content is used and distributed.

... Additionally, I don't know why my "favored 'permission' argument" would be thrown back in my face. Isn't one of the primary, though widely ignored, tenets of this hobby is one should have adequate permission?
We also have a 'tenet' that caches should not be made to look like a bomb and strapped to the John C. Calhoun monument, but since it's not related to this thread, it wasn't mentioned.

Based solely on this thread and the cache page, there is no reason it shouldn't. In fact, as it stands, it is not a viable cache, now is it? No logbook.

Looks like a viable cache to me. It has a logbook with a nice graphic on one side. A big container for a log only cache, but still a viable cache.

Jim

In one post you say that the "icon looked pretty official" and "that this was done [by] the police department". Then you saw that "[t]his guy didn't really impersonate an officer". :D

It does look pretty official, but using a graphic doesn't mean that person is a cop.

When I lived in Tennessee, I had the police department call me and try to sell me a sticker to help support the local police department. (vs. tickets to the ball I guess) The sticker was of a star badge and most people would stick them on there car. Yes, it looks official and it was. However it doesn't mean that person was a cop.

Same thing here, it was a decent quality graphic that I haven't seen before (now someone has given me the link to the pic, so question there answered). At the same time he didn't reference it, it was just there. The relation of the pic to the cache just adds to the confusion.

I guess I am saying that I can see where a lawyer would argue that he didn't impersonate an officer. Also the graphic is owned by the State Police which is a government organization. The government is not allowed to copyright any government material. They have laws that only protect how the content is used and distributed.

I think by adding that graphic the culprit was certainly trying to give the impression that he was acting in some sort of official capacity. Why else would it be there? Just because he thought it was pretty?

I think by adding that graphic the culprit was certainly trying to give the impression that he was acting in some sort of official capacity. Why else would it be there? Just because he thought it was pretty?

I agree that it does stand out, and it does give that impression. I am also trying to look at it from someone else's perspective and state that he didn't technically impersonate anyone.

If it did go to court I know for a fact that there would not be any charges for impersonation. Theft would be out the window too cause technically something like this being left in the park like it is could be considered abandoned, and every stash note does say "If you wish, go ahead and take something. But please also leave something of your own for others to find". Which in a mixed up way he did.

I am not defending him, I still want blood! I just know what will happen if I do call the police and report this. They will get anal and treat you like you are at the DMV. After a previous experience with some neighborhood kids at my last house, I learned some of this real quick. (I had to drop the deductible on my cars to $0)

Looks and sounds more like this is a pi$$ed of resident that is having his access road blocked of by people searching for this cache.

... Additionally, I don't know why my "favored 'permission' argument" would be thrown back in my face. Isn't one of the primary, though widely ignored, tenets of this hobby is one should have adequate permission?
We also have a 'tenet' that caches should not be made to look like a bomb and strapped to the John C. Calhoun monument, but since it's not related to this thread, it wasn't mentioned.

Yeah, and maybe Jeremy, himself, is playing pranks. :D

Based solely on this thread and the cache page, there is no reason it shouldn't. In fact, as it stands, it is not a viable cache, now is it? No logbook.
Looks like a viable cache to me. It has a logbook with a nice graphic on one side. A big container for a log only cache, but still a viable cache.

Like I said, not everyone would agree...

I guess it would be up to the reviewer that is notified and the cache owner to determine if my SBA log has any merit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for community-based cache maintenance, but if a cache proves to be a problem then maybe it's time to archive. I ain't saying it and I ain't saying ain't. Just making a point.

Just thought of something...

Maybe I missed it, but I've not seen where the OP definitively found the cache container. How do we know that was the original cache container? Could be a joke, too. You know, screw with folks by dropping a container with the note so it's found first. Then the finder gets all mad and comes to the forums to vent. It'd be the first time I've heard of it, but there's always a first for everything. We do have decoys and there had to be the first for those, too. What about "liar's caches?" "Cache Pirates?" Maybe the CO should go out and check. I think it'd be pretty funny if the CO goes out and determines it wasn't the cache and someone was pranking everyone.

Typically, this is someone that lives within view of the park and doesn't want strangers using their park.

I suspect this happened to one of my easier caches, so I replaced it with a much more difficult one. Now, instead of people finding it quickly and leaving, they end up spending much more time in the park. :D