What is navicache?

Hobo2

OK, serious answer. It's the no. 2 geocaching site in the world, but the gap between no. 1 and no. 2 is quite huge, to say the least. It was started in Feb. or March 2001, in Rochester, N.Y. (Geocaching.com was started in September, 2000). There are currently 7,389 active caches in the world, where Geocaching.com has over 500,000 now, I believe.

There are a few pockets where it's strong, such as it's home area of Western NY, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and all of Germany. And uh, that's about it. :lol: But many people will probably have an experience like Egami, where they only see a handful of listings for their area, most of which have no log entries.

Edit to add, there's no way of telling the exact amount, but I'd say the overwhelming majority of Navicache listings are "cross-listed", meaning they are listed on geocaching.com as well.

Map of the 3,260 Navicaches in the U.S.A.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Hi. I'm new around here and am just getting ready to start geocaching. In fact, I'm currently waiting for my first GPSr to arrive in the mail.

Besides geocaching.com/Groundspeak.com I saw two other sites referenced in Geocaching for Dummies: Navicache.com and Buxley's Geocaching Waypoint (brillig.com). Neither of those two sites appears to be anywhere near as active as this one. In fact the last "news" update on brillig.com appears to be two years old and on navicache.com forums the most recent GPSr related discussion appears to be over a month old with no activity. Which seems rather odd, with the release of the Colorado and Triton series of GPSr's.

[Edit for spelling]

Edited by Noscitare

Hi. I'm new around here and am just getting ready to start geocaching. In fact, I cirrently waiting for my first GPSr to arrive in the mail.

Besides geocaching.com/Groundspeak.com I saw two other sites referenced in Geocaching for Dummies: Navicache.com and Buxley's Geocaching Waypoint (brillig.com). Neither of those two sites appears to be anywhere near as active as this one. In fact the last "news" update on brillig.com appears to be two years old and on navicache.com forums the most recent GPSr releated discussion appears to be over a month old with no activity. Which seems rather odd, with the release of the Colorado and Triton series of GPSr's.

I think it's fair to say this one has the majority of the market. I get the impression terracaching would maybe come in a distant 2nd, but other more familiar with them may have a better perception.

I think it's fair to say this one has the majority of the market. I get the impression terracaching would maybe come in a distant 2nd, but other more familiar with them may have a better perception.

Hmmm....that is the first that I'd heard of terracaching.com. I just went over to take a look at it and found that there seems to be a bit of "exclusivity" to it -- you need to be "sponsored" by two other current members to be able to join. And they don't appear to have a message board...or if they do, non-members can't even look at it on a "read-only" basis.

Hmmm....that is the first that I'd heard of terracaching.com. I just went over to take a look at it and found that there seems to be a bit of "exclusivity" to it -- you need to be "sponsored" by two other current members to be able to join. And they don't appear to have a message board...or if they do, non-members can't even look at it on a "read-only" basis.

Yeah, I don't currently use TC.com...however, the obstacle of "sponsorship", from what I hear, isn't anything major. In fact, they have an adoption program if I understand correctly for new members.

I know from other Iowa cachers the perception is there are more terracache's than navicache's, but this is purely second hand info. and could easily vary by location.

Yes, there are Terracaching forums, but we don't want to let you see them. Just kidding, but they are much more active than the Navicache forums. There are 3,438 Terracaches in the world, and 2,893 in the U.S.A. These are not listed on any other geocaching websites, where most Navicaches are cross-listed here. Terracaching too, has pockets of strength, and yes, Iowa is one of them. :lol:

Yes, there are Terracaching forums, but we don't want to let you see them. Just kidding, but they are much more active than the Navicache forums. There are 3,438 Terracaches in the world, and 2,893 in the U.S.A. These are not listed on any other geocaching websites, where most Navicaches are cross-listed here. Terracaching too, has pockets of strength, and yes, Iowa is one of them. :lol:

How strong is terraching.com for the area around the southern shore of Lake Erie? If that's one of your strong "pockets" I might look into getting "adopted" somewhere down the trail.

Thanks.

It is another listing site - thier are several. Different rules and ways of doing things.

This is it.

Many of my caches are listed there. I generally don't cross list.

One cache listed there doesn't meet the 528' rule here. On one side is a cache along side the road. The other is a cache behind the animal shelter near the dumpster. I found a spot where a basalt cliff has a crack hidden from the road by trees. Climb the crack and you are in a depression where nobody can see you and that's where my cache is. A perfectly good cache that can't be listed here but which should exist because within 528' of this area, that's the spot for a cache.

Hi. I'm new around here and am just getting ready to start geocaching. In fact, I'm currently waiting for my first GPSr to arrive in the mail.

Besides geocaching.com/Groundspeak.com I saw two other sites referenced in Geocaching for Dummies: Navicache.com and Buxley's Geocaching Waypoint (brillig.com). Neither of those two sites appears to be anywhere near as active as this one. In fact the last "news" update on brillig.com appears to be two years old and on navicache.com forums the most recent GPSr related discussion appears to be over a month old with no activity. Which seems rather odd, with the release of the Colorado and Triton series of GPSr's.

[Edit for spelling]

Buxleys shows maps in a different way. Awhile back this site pulled the plug on the data that buxleys was using. There was an update thread here while they worked things out but that dropped off the list in the forums and I'm not aware that anything was ever worked out.

GC's public find count is a brilliant marketing ploy. A very large % of cachers place a high value on their official GC count, hence there is a reluctance to place and find caches on other sites because they "don't count".

I would think just the fact that it's "geocaching.com" alone pull a lot of weight with people.

Terracaching doesn't have "exclusivity." They let me in . . . B)

The cool thing about most the Traditional Terracaches around here is that they are like Geocaching was in the beginning. They are often at the top of peaks or at the end of long hikes. I like participating in both Geocaching and Terracaching. :lol:

Yeah, I don't currently use TC.com...however, the obstacle of "sponsorship", from what I hear, isn't anything major. In fact, they have an adoption program if I understand correctly for new members.

I know from other Iowa cachers the perception is there are more terracache's than navicache's, but this is purely second hand info. and could easily vary by location.

The only problem I had with sponsorship was that mine was pulled after not visiting the site after a few months. Defintely liked it better than the navicache site.

Yes, there are Terracaching forums, but we don't want to let you see them. Just kidding, but they are much more active than the Navicache forums. There are 3,438 Terracaches in the world, and 2,893 in the U.S.A. These are not listed on any other geocaching websites, where most Navicaches are cross-listed here. Terracaching too, has pockets of strength, and yes, Iowa is one of them. :D

How strong is terraching.com for the area around the southern shore of Lake Erie? If that's one of your strong "pockets" I might look into getting "adopted" somewhere down the trail.

Thanks.

Oh, I didn't notice where you were from, I'm only about 100 miles from you. :D I just looked at Terracaching.com's version of google maps. Only one in Erie. One in Sharon. One in Cleveland. About 10 near Buffalo, most SE of the City, closer to you. The highest concentration on the East Coast is defintely NYC/Long Island/Joisey. I'd sponsor you if you joined, I'll keep an eye out for your username. It doesn't work right all the time, but usually you get a notice on top of your screen when someone within a couple of hundred miles is looking for sponsorship.

Terracaching doesn't have "exclusivity." They let me in . . . :D

The cool thing about most the Traditional Terracaches around here is that they are like Geocaching was in the beginning. They are often at the top of peaks or at the end of long hikes. I like participating in both Geocaching and Terracaching. :D

I haven't seen that in my area. Here TC.com caches are in all the same kinds of places as GC.com caches. In fact most of the time the TC cache owners just piggyback their caches on an existing GC.com cache. Of the closest 100, I bet 97 of them are within 300 feet of an existing GC.Com cache, often closer.

Never mind that there is no difference as far as quality, what I find most troubling about TC.com is that they encourage you to rate caches that you haven't found. Caches with low ratings are automatically archived by the system. I had one archived in that manner that didn't even have a find on it. That make zero sense to me.

The cool thing about most the Traditional Terracaches around here is that they are like Geocaching was in the beginning. They are often at the top of peaks or at the end of long hikes. I like participating in both Geocaching and Terracaching. :D

I haven't seen that in my area. Here TC.com caches are in all the same kinds of places as GC.com caches. In fact most of the time the TC cache owners just piggyback their caches on an existing GC.com cache. Of the closest 100, I bet 97 of them are within 300 feet of an existing GC.Com cache, often closer.

Never mind that there is no difference as far as quality, what I find most troubling about TC.com is that they encourage you to rate caches that you haven't found. Caches with low ratings are automatically archived by the system. I had one archived in that manner that didn't even have a find on it. That make zero sense to me.

If it's any consolation, that particuliar locationless cache has since been listed by someone else, and is doing fine. :D "They" pretty much don't do that anymore, voting caches off the Island. It was just a fad when Terracaching was new. You'll just have to take my word for it. :P

Here's another one most of you haven't heard about, I'm sure. GPS Games.org has Geocache listings, but only about 300 in the world, most of them cross-listed here. But they have several other interesting GPS games, most notably Geodashing, which changes every month, has a strong cult following, and I doubt it will ever go away.

<snip>

Well, that is true here, as well, but most of the Terracaches I have found have been physically challenging. I have a Terracache fewer than 200 feet away from one of my own Geocaches, but it is an awesome area. I placed one of my most challenging Geocaches after climbing the peak in search of a Terracache, and another great Geocache in this area, "Long Valley Peak 4,906'" was placed after that cache owner was FTF on a Terracache on that peak.

1005868rrr50jj2.jpg

Around here, several long-time Geocachers have basically quit Geocaching, but they are still active Terracachers. :D

It's fine to have a thread that discusses other geocaching sites, their features, and so forth -- so long as the discussion remains respectful. But, please don't use this thread as a means for offering or soliciting Terracaching sponsorships. There's a forum on that site for this purpose. Thanks.

[Edit for spelling]

Heh. I just took a peek over at navicache. There is a post, only 1 day old, linking to the "new" Garmin TV commercial. I think most people that have been here awhile know that "new" commercial is a year old. It's from last year's super bowl.

Geeze, even their new posts are old and out of date! :D

It's fine to have a thread that discusses other geocaching sites, their features, and so forth -- so long as the discussion remains respectful. But, please don't use this thread as a means for offering or soliciting Terracaching sponsorships. There's a forum on that site for this purpose. Thanks.

Whoops! :drama: Offer yes, solicit no. I'm guilty. Guiltier than O.J.; The first time. :drama:

Oh, I didn't notice where you were from, I'm only about 100 miles from you. :drama:

I googled your coordinates.....Batavia area, right? :drama:

ohhh fresh fish - hey noob nice to see another local posting :drama: . You need any help drop me a line, you should drop by NWPA geocachers (if you have not found them yet)

Mainly geocaches around NWPA, there are a few others but not much interest.

ohhh fresh fish - hey noob nice to see another local posting :drama: . You need any help drop me a line, you should drop by NWPA geocachers (if you have not found them yet)

Mainly geocaches around NWPA, there are a few others but not much interest.

Thanks for the greeting, Bogleman. I've not yet come across NWPA Geocachers. I'll have to give them a google.

I haven't yet begun caching. I've been reading this board for the past few weeks, seeing what the community was like and researching GPSr's (I've never before even seen one in real-life :drama: ). This past Wednesday I decided to make the plunge and ordered a DeLorme PN-20. I'm hoping to have it in my hands on Monday or Tuesday.

But with the white stuff that's falling from the sky at the moment, I now don't know when I'll be able to take it out for a spin. :drama:

Thanks again.

I belong to both Navicaching.com and Terracaching.com. Navicaching has very little activity and few geocaches. I find the rating system on Terracaching to be really arcane: I'm not sure that many of he regulars know how it works. However, I like some of Terracachings caches and I like their philosophy of tring to maintain quality caches. I don't hunt a lot of the caches listed on geocaching but there is so much more activiety here that one can find any type of cahce or activity one is lookin for. Geocaching is indubitably the premier site for geocaching. Cache on!

I'd use Navicaching a lot more if I didn't have to weed through duplicate cache listings. If there were a way to differentiate duplicates from the unique listings, then it'd be a lot easier and I'd probably use it more often.

I have mixed feelings about terracaching. I think the idea of rating caches even if you didn't find them a unique way of community policing. The points/competition aspect seems to encourage harder caches with only a few easier ones in the mix. It's all points manipulations, but is designed to encourage the opposite of what GC.com encourages. You get more points for the harder caches as opposed to LPCs and drive-bys. The biggest thing about TC.com I don't like is the super sluggish server it is on.