Our sincere apologies

Cyclops

Why hasn't Son of Cyclops himself posted an apology for his actions? Sure, he is 15, but I think he's old enough to "man up," so to speak. I appreciate Dad's comments, but I think the son should own up himself.

He's working on one. He was sick one day and he's got a big report due on Friday for school. He should have one posted tonight hopefully.

I went through this same thing with SOC when I was in Iraq. Same old thing, a apology from dad, etc, but it never stopped the pestering emails and so on.

I am sure he will be back...

This is only a suggestion, ground your son from the internet.

Why hasn't Son of Cyclops himself posted an apology for his actions? Sure, he is 15, but I think he's old enough to "man up," so to speak. I appreciate Dad's comments, but I think the son should own up himself.

He's working on one. He was sick one day and he's got a big report due on Friday for school. He should have one posted tonight hopefully.

I went through this same thing with SOC when I was in Iraq. Same old thing, a apology from dad, etc, but it never stopped the pestering emails and so on.

I went through the same thing with an adult while he was in Iraq, can we ground him. In fact, I know someone going through the same thing now :ph34r:

Kinda like your pestering emails too?

I went through the same thing with an adult while he was in Iraq, can we ground him. In fact, I know someone going through the same thing now :ph34r:

While I have never been asked for a trade by him . . . . . I don't think (being the worlds worst cacher and getting older everyday my memory fails me at times), I am thinking that having a kid pester me for a trade that I don't want to make would be pretty darn low on the list of problems I would have to deal with.

How about this: One of you who is being pestered for a coin trade give me that problem and I will give you the problem of paying my rent. Seems like a pretty good trade to me.

Kinda like your pestering emails too?

You must have a guilty conscience, I don't think I have ever sent you more than 1 email, it sure wasn't you I was talking about, is there something we should know :ph34r: that we don't all ready?

I would like to apologize to anyone that I may have persistently emailed about a coin trade. I am, like my parents said, very passionate about geocoins. I know that some of you may have been irritated by some of my emails and I would like to apologize to those people. Although I am very excited about geocoins, I admit that I might have gone overboard in some of my emails. Like my parents said, they are going to be doing certain things to help prevent any more problems. An attachment will be at the bottom of all my emails, which will include contact information to get a hold of my parents if you have any problems or concerns about my trading practices. I hope that this apology mends any problems I made with anyone that I may have emailed. Again, I am truly sorry to anyone who may have been bothered by my over-eagerness.

My sincerest apologies,

Richard (Son of Cyclops)

Edited by Son of Cyclops

I would like to apologize to anyone that I may have persistently emailed about a coin trade. I am, like my parents said, very passionate about geocoins. I know that some of you may have been irritated by some of my emails and I would like to apologize to those people. Although I am very excited about geocoins, I admit that I might have gone overboard in some of my emails. Like my parents said, they are going to be doing certain things to help prevent any more problems. An attachment will be at the bottom of all my emails, which will include contact information to get a hold of my parents if you have any problems or concerns about my trading practices. I hope that this apology mends any problems I made with anyone that I may have emailed. Again, I am truly sorry to anyone who may have been bothered by my over-eagerness.

My sincerest apologies,

Richard (Son of Cyclops)

Richard,

That takes guts to get on here and publicly apologize, I know grown-ups who would never do what you have just done. Not too many people can say that at times they haven't been a bit overzealous when it comes to geocoins or something they are passionate about, myself included. I commend you for having the fortitude to stand before us all and say, 'Hey, I'm sorry.' You obviously have a great set of parents who care about you and care about your reputation in the community, I hope you realize that. I think you should be proud of yourself! I'm just glad to see you involved in a healthy hobby (and a crazy obsession, lol). Thanks! Have fun in your geocoin pursuits.

tsun :)

Edited by tsunrisebey

Anybody who personally knows our son, knows that he is a great kid. But he is still

a kid, and therefore, sometimes exhibits behaviors that may be considered immature or

irresponsible.

Our son has devoted hours of his time to giving back to the geocaching community. He has assisted his father in presenting geocaching classes, has helped man informational booths about the sport to entice new players, and has participated in CITO events. In addition, he has been an active volunteer at MiGO sponsored events (such as the Winter Social and the Fall Fun Day) for a couple of years now, often arriving early to help set up for the event and staying late to help clean up the mess. He has spent hours conceiving and placing caches around the state for other cachers to find, and has spent some of his own money buying "swag" for those caches. He has also spent numerous hours planning and organizing his annual "Early Halloween Geobash" event for other cachers to enjoy. In addition, he has donated his own geocoins and pathtags to charity related auctions to help those in need. All of this he has done of his own accord, wanting to give back to the geocaching community which he loves.

A signature will be added to his emails and on his profile page on how to contact his parents.

Cyclops and Wife of Cyclops

I know first hand of the giving back the entire family has done for the Michigan geocaching community. I have attended several of their events and they are well organized, well run and a lot of fun!!! I take to heart the sincere apologies that the family and especially Richard have given in this public forum to the community in general and also to those who may have had unwanted emails--many kudos to the Cyclops family!! They are great people. I also look forward to their next event and to our next trades--bring that box of traders Richard!!! :)

Richard,

That takes guts to get on here and publicly apologize, I know grown-ups who would never do what you have just done. Not too many people can say that at times they haven't been a bit overzealous when it comes to geocoins or something they are passionate about, myself included. I commend you for having the fortitude to stand before us all and say, 'Hey, I'm sorry.' You obviously have a great set of parents who care about you and care about your reputation in the community, I hope you realize that. I think you should be proud of yourself! I'm just glad to see you involved in a healthy hobby (and a crazy obsession, lol). Thanks! Have fun in your geocoin pursuits.

tsun :)

I couldn't write it better than Tsun did. I agree with her.

It does take guts Richard. Well done. You are better than some of the adults we know just by apologizing. :)

Firstly, let me say well done Richard on the apology. Good on you for coming out in public and saying so. Just remember to always keep it in the back of your mind when 'dealing'. :) Any contact info should probably also go in your forums sig? But, over everything else, just remember to have patience. Always have patience. :)

Not being patient is probably the quickest way to upset people.

I will reply to your emails one day and I am sure we will have a trade. My trades tend to move slowly... very slowly... as I am also very busy with life (my geocoin/geocaching time is somewhat limited).

I think all parents should follow your lead and put a tag line at the bottom of their young players accounts and forum posts letting people know where the adult can be contacted.

At first this seemed like a good idea, but then I do worry that labeling minors in these forums would give any creep or low-life access to a minor. I shudder to think that, but these forums can be viewed and perused without any verification or identity. (This maybe just my paranoia).

I think it would do more good than a few incidents of bad that could come from it. The mods do a good job at acting fast if something happens. As it is now there are known minors here that can be found with a little looking. Thankfully there hasn't been a situation, but I am sure if one arises it would be dealt with quickly.

"The few incidents of bad" that could come from pointing out minors online to potential perverts could be horrible. I can look and see the area that you live, where you cache, pictures in your galleries, etc. Someone with bad intentions can do that too.

Groundspeak/Geocaching.com is very unusual in the fact that there is no age limit on joining up, and there are no restrictions on the younger members. Maybe there does need to be some restrictions or limitations?

I created an account for my [nearly 6 year old] son some time ago. It is more for the purpose of logging caches he has found against so that he has his own "inventory" of them and we don't have to go through and do it in a few years time when he is able to do it himself. For now I have the reins of the account and it is linked to my email address. And still will be for some years to come. But then there is a real big difference between 6 and 15.

I am actually surprised that GS does not have some kind of child protection already in place. Like having a child account linked to an adult account, allowing options where child accounts can not send or receive email through the website or having all emails go through the parent account.

My children have accounts on many websites. Most of them have ways to protect the child, ways to link the accounts and ways for the parent to limit account features.

Not to mention that this the only website I know that does not have the little box to check saying the account holder is 13 years old or older.

Not to mention that this the only website I know that does not have the little box to check saying the account holder is 13 years old or older.

Sorry, I know this is OT - but I thought it was a legal requirement that web sites had to be able to identify minors so they could be protected from advertising, etc.

I am actually surprised that GS does not have some kind of child protection already in place. Like having a child account linked to an adult account, allowing options where child accounts can not send or receive email through the website or having all emails go through the parent account.

My children have accounts on many websites. Most of them have ways to protect the child, ways to link the accounts and ways for the parent to limit account features.

Geocaching is fun for all ages, thus no restrictions, but let me tell you here and now, we do our utmost to monitor any threads that are opened by children (that we are aware of) and will close, moderate, contact the parents if possible, and make sure that we do what we can to keep this family friendly. How in the world could we even possibly consider not allowing persons under 18 to access the site so they can get outdoors and go caching? Parents alone are responsible for the web content their children have access too. Check here if you are over 13? Who's there to card them?

These old lyrics come to mind.

"You, who are on the road must have a code that you can live by.

And so become yourself because the past is just a good bye.

Teach your children well, their father's hell did slowly go by,

and feed them on your dreams, the one they picks, the one you'll know by.

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,

so just look at them and sigh and know they love you.

And you (can you hear?), of the tender years (do you care?)

can't know the fears (can't you see we) that your elders grew by (must be free to),

and so please help them (teach your children) with your youth (to believe),

they seek the truth (make a world that) before they can die (we can live in).

Teach your parents well, their children's hell will slowly go by,

and feed them on your dreams, the one they picks, the one you'll know by.

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,

so just look at them and sigh and know they love you."

CSNY

We all do the best we can with what we're given. All we do is hope our children will learn the vlaues we want to instill in them and that they will also do the best they can with what they're given.

I think SoC's parents are doing just fine.