Event Coins

pghlooking

Recently another thread made me wonder, how many event coins are enough? I know at GW5 there was one official event coin. Each vendor had their own coin for the event which was cool, but there remained one "official" coin which encompassed the entire event. now I see an event that has fewer than 100 people attending and it has 2 coins already. one is being produced by the organizers of the event. the other is being done by a coin company. it made me wonder a few things.

1. How many event coin versions are enough?
  2. Since no one technically owns the event, do you really need permission to produce a coin with the event name on it?
  3. If you do an event coin, does the money have to go to the event, or can it be done strictly for commercial reasons?

If you have specific debates about a specific coin, take it to the thread. please don't get this one locked just because of your feelings. I am curious as to what the community thinks since we are the ones who should be setting the rules.

A coin remains under Freedom of Speach, you can't put locks on coins, video games or what you say. If a person makes a coin they should be able to share it with a community without being harrassed about what the coin is. If you don't like a coin you don't have to buy it, just as a post, you don't have to read it. Many companies are straying away from coins that have something to do with geocaching. So we are trying to make coins related to geocaching and thing, places we have been or seen when geocaching.

Recently another thread made me wonder, how many event coins are enough? I know at GW5 there was one official event coin. Each vendor had their own coin for the event which was cool, but there remained one "official" coin which encompassed the entire event. now I see an event that has fewer than 100 people attending and it has 2 coins already. one is being produced by the organizers of the event. the other is being done by a coin company. it made me wonder a few things.

2. Since no one technically owns the event, do you really need permission to produce a coin with the event name on it?
  3. If you do an event coin, does the money have to go to the event, or can it be done strictly for commercial reasons?

If you have specific debates about a specific coin, take it to the thread. please don't get this one locked just because of your feelings. I am curious as to what the community thinks since we are the ones who should be setting the rules.

I'd say one event coin is enough for that small of an event.

If the event is being put on by a local caching group, then they should make the coin. Any profits should go into helping fund the event.

If I did an event coin for one of my events, I would put the profits back into the event (paying for pavilions, food, etc.) or into future events.

I think to make a coin for an event to just profit off of people is not right. I think selling event coins to non-attendees is not right. I'm not saying that if you don't attend you're out of luck, you could always trade for that coin in the future from someone that purchased extras.

For as many people that were at GW5, I think the amount of coins that had references to GW5 were not too many. Well, the coins that I saw anyway, which was about 8 or so. For that large of a group, you need a little variety.

1) For my Early Halloween Geo Bash, I am having one new event Coin made each year and I will be getting 2 metals to sell and one metal for event helpers. For huge events like GW5 and MWGB, I think anyone can make a coin as long as no one uses artwork made by the event hosts, like the duck made for MWGB.

2) We are making stuff to sell at MWGB and we have MWGB on some of the stuff and it is ok to have it one the stuff.

3) Event coin money should always go to the event and any extra that you make should go to next year or if a one time only event, give it to your local orgainzation.

Coins are not under freedom of speech. They are art and intellectual property. They fall under those lines.

As to the question in the OP. It would depend on the size of the event I would say. The coins at GW5 were all so different they all had their place at the event and it worked. Now something like a small event having multiple coins would be bad since the additional coins take away from the sales of the official coin, which may be helping to fund the event.

At the very least permission should be obtained for producing an event coin if you are not the event organizer. Because I would say that events and the names of event are intellectual property.

This has nothing to do with freedom of speech or censorship.

No one is attempting to censor any coin art, simply stating that people can not take someone else's intellectual property and use it as their own. The names of events are intellectual property of the organizers and creators of the event, therefore you should not use them without proper permission from the owners.

If you want to get technical it is Freedom of speach and freedom of Expression, since a coin is the creation of its owner or maker. So it is a protected right. If you don't beleive me, look up the issue about sensorship on video Games. Its the same thing, Art produced cannot be sensored.

Really? I dare you to make a Walt Disney themed coin then! :o I hate to break it to you, but Parents of Sam is correct. Once the name for an event is registered, the rules change. If you want to make a personal coin for the event, knock yourself out. If you want to make an Event Coin, just ask. I'm sure they'd love the publicity. ;)

By the way, do the people who own the copyrighted artwork for Big Bear Lake know you're using their logo? :ph34r:

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

A coin remains under Freedom of Speach, you can't put locks on coins, video games or what you say. If a person makes a coin they should be able to share it with a community without being harrassed about what the coin is. If you don't like a coin you don't have to buy it, just as a post, you don't have to read it. Many companies are straying away from coins that have something to do with geocaching. So we are trying to make coins related to geocaching and thing, places we have been or seen when geocaching.

Freedom of Speech only takes you so far, and that is one of the points I am asking about. An event organizer does not own the copyright for an event name, as none of us own the name of a cache or event. until recently there has always been enough respect amongst caachers that we would not step on anothers toes and would stay away from trying to turn a profit on anothers event, just for sake of money. Recently there have been people doing anything they want with no respect for the cachers who put the work into the event, or the cacher they sell to. Freedom of Speech gives you some entitlements, but not a blank check do anything you want and claim that as your reasoning.

More so than the legal isssue, I am asking about the moral issue. Years ago, the coin community started out as just that, a community. If people stop respecting others work, whether it be their event by making coins without permission, or stealing another artwork and making coins from it, then where will this all be? Surely that doesn't fall under Freedom of Speech. The community has a right to hold everyone to a higher standard.

just because the coin has a caching theme doesn't give anyone a right to do it. If we can't respect another person's event, what's next? Are people going to start doing personal coins in other people's names? How would you feel if I producded a coin in your name and sold it?

Since the event owner(s) should be the ones who decide if/how many event coins are made, are they going to have to resort to posting the event under a fake name? They could then tell the official coin producer the correct name of the event and the coin would be correct. They could then change the name back on the day of the event leaving the person who stole the coin idea with a bunch of useless coins.

If you want to get technical it is Freedom of speach and freedom of Expression, since a coin is the creation of its owner or maker. So it is a protected right. If you don't beleive me, look up the issue about sensorship on video Games. Its the same thing, Art produced cannot be sensored.

Freedom of Speech is a legal right to protect people from being prosectuted by the state for speaking out. This is not a Freedom of Speech issue and you are using it way out of context. Maybe you should brush up on your bill of Rights and what they actually state. Now if you wouldn't mind getting yourself back on topic and stop derailing this thread. I was clear about taking it to your own thread from the start. Thanks.

PGH brings up a good point with the moral responsibility. I agree wholeheartedly. I don't think the freedome of speech rant holds much weight though. The event has to registered. Electronic registry is sufficient to proclaim copyright infringement against someone who knowingly tries to use intillectual property for profit. You might want to do a bit more homework on your "freedoms". Your rights are only protected until you infringe on someone else's rights. :ph34r:

[*]How many event coin versions are enough?

[*]Since no one technically owns the event, do you really need permission to produce a coin with the event name on it?

[*]If you do an event coin, does the money have to go to the event, or can it be done strictly for commercial reasons?

1. I think it depends on the event. For GW5, I think having the official coin and the two other event themed coins was good because there were not enough of the official coin available for those that wanted them. At least with the other offerings, those that wanted a coin momento of the event had the option to purchase one. Now with events like GeocoinFest, I think there were probably too many - too many metals of each was definitely what was the end result.

2. I would have said no to this. However, I think it goes a long way to inquire with whoever is organizing the event to see if it's ok to use their "brand." Also, since GW5, certain people were unhappy with the amount of vending and the use of the "Geowoodstock" name, eventhough the organizing group had said it was ok. From what I understand, you'll possibly have to license that name or refrain from using it in the future. Midwest GeoBash has request that no commercial merchandise use their event name or artwork except for one particular agreement and I believe the MWGB Foundation does get a percentage of the profits and also will be selling that item in their store as well.

3. I think both are fine. Again, it really depends on the event and also that the sale of the item isn't misrepresented with someone saying profits go to the event/organization if they do not.

Edited by AtlantaGal

If I was putting on an event and someone who was going to attend made a coin and sold it as an event coin I would be very upset and request and revenue from the "fake" be the restitution. I could have sold more of the "real" event coin if they hadn't sold the "fake".

I did sell a number of geotags that mentioned GW5 but they were personal and were not sold as EVENT COINS.

Now to answer the questions:

Depends on the size of the event but I would go to the lower number in most cases.

Someone "owns" the event, eith a person or a committee or a group/organization is putting it on, they should make the decission.

I think some of the funds should go back to the event. We all know there is some profit in the $8-$9 coin and that should go to the event. If a company makes the coin they still have their profit in that already, they don't need to make more.

Edited by Atwell Family

I can not speak for this event coin but if I was putting on an event and someone who was going to attend made a coin and sold it as an event coin I would be very upset and request and revenue from the "fake" be the restitution. I could have sold more of the "real" event coin if they hadn't sold the "fake".

I did sell a number of geotags that mentioned GW5 but they were personal and were not sold as EVENT COINS.

the thread is suppose to be a general thread and not about any one event coin, so don't think you are missing something.

That's an extremely good point. Someone doing an unauthorized event coin would in fact be competeing with the actual event coin and could end up costing the event hosts money in the long run. That is another horrible thing.

1. I think one offical coin is enough. For larger events like GW then other coins about the event are great but for smaller events of only a couple hundred people or less IMO one is good.
  2. Who ever is hosting the event IMO has the rights to it. If I took the time to plan an event and put all the work into it and then someone just came along and made a coin I would be irate, really irate!
  3. That should be up the the event host.

Jake

My Thoughts:

It depends on the size and theme of the event. In general small events one, big events more coins and more choices make sense.

It would seem that the event should get benefit in some way.

For instance: Hogwild Stuff is doing two MWGB coins. One will be sold in the event store that will have the event duck on it. The store will get an amount on each coin sold. The second coin will not have the event logo but will use the term Midwest Geobash. While there will be no direct payment to the event for that coin, we are supplying all of the goodie bags being handed out to participants and no cost to the event, so it is a significant financial investment.

We have made event coins for events we have put on. For events we did not put on, we asked for permission first.

Geocoinfest - As a sponsor, we were able to make a coin for the event.

Geowoodstock 5 - As a sponsor, we were able to make a coin for the event.

MWGB - We are a sponsor so we were able to make a coin for the event.

We have asked to make a coin about an event and were told we couldnt at the time as they were working out license terms. So we removed the wording they asked us to from the coin.

We have made event coins for events we have put on. For events we did not put on, we asked for permission first.

Geocoinfest - As a sponsor, we were able to make a coin for the event.

Geowoodstock 5 - As a sponsor, we were able to make a coin for the event.

MWGB - We are a sponsor so we were able to make a coin for the event.

We have asked to make a coin about an event and were told we couldnt at the time as they were working out license terms. So we removed the wording they asked us to from the coin.

Perfect.

This is simply showing respect to the event organizers. To make a coin that may show the GC code, date, and name of the event without obtaining the OK from the event organizers ... well ... it is simply disrespectful and shows bad style.

... I think that I just went off topic a bit, sorry about that.

... gotta learn how to spel

Edited by nicolo

It's not a matter of what CAN be done, it's a matter of what SHOULD be done.

I seem to recall that I had this same discussion at least a year ago about people making coins for states that they were not living in, part of the caching group there, etc.

At the time I was in the minority with most people saying things like:

"the more coins the better"

"anybody can make any coin they want"

"who made you the police?"

etc.

It's interesting how things have turned a bit. I bring this up as an interesting observation, that's all.

I think unless it's a REALLY big event, one coin is plenty.

For larger things like Coinfest, GW5, etc. - the sponsors should get to sell the coins, not just anybody wanting to throw the name on a coin. It's all about ethics and community, always has been (for some).

I seem to recall that I had this same discussion at least a year ago about people making coins for states that they were not living in, part of the caching group there, etc.

etc.

It's interesting how things have turned a bit. I bring this up as an interesting observation, that's all.

For larger things like Coinfest, GW5, etc. - the sponsors should get to sell the coins, not just anybody wanting to throw the name on a coin. It's all about ethics and community, always has been (for some).

Wow, we agree... :D

Well put, my sentiments exactly!

Small events only need one coin, as long as it's done by those hosting/sponsoring the event.

To answer the questions posed...

1. How many coins? Depends on the event...I feel smaller events should not need more than one coin. The coin market at a mega-event like GW-5 can handle multiple event coins; I do not believe that a smaller event can. Also, wouldn't these other coin(s) potentially have an impact of the event funds for a smaller event (if the event coin was being used to generate event revenue)?

2. Should you get permission? I think that it would only be common courtesy to ask for permission. I cannot even imagine someone NOT asking first.

3. Should moneys go to the event? As a consumer, I would prefer to buy a coin that helps fund the event.

etc.

I still stand behind people only making coins of the state they live in. It's another point of respect I think.

Since i have hosted a number of events and made a number of event coins I shall chime in here.

(1) Official coins = 1 ~ other related coins could be made if they are relevant to the event

(2) I think that people making, bringing and selling coins at other people's events (with the offical name of the event on the coin) are basically profiteering if they don't have the decency to ask permission first and work with the event organizer's to set a policy that works for both parties. Doesn't matter if it's legally or technically sound, it is more of a moral judgement. :huh:

I do feel that it is the duty of the forum members to let people know when they have crossed over the community lines of social decency. Otherwise we have a marketplace for classifieds, not a community. :D

...I do feel that it is the duty of the forum members to let people know when they have crossed over the community lines of social decency. Otherwise we have a marketplace for classifieds, not a community. :D

Well said. Absolutely agreed.

If Yime agrees, we all do. Everybody knows that. :huh:

--Marky

Check your constitution. First amendment says "Congress shall pass no law..." Not Groundspeak, not event organizers, but Congress (and, through the 14th Amendment, state and local governments as well).

Try making a Star Wars coin. I think George Lucas even slapped Ronald Reagan when he called his missle defense system "Star Wars"

...I do feel that it is the duty of the forum members to let people know when they have crossed over the community lines of social decency. Otherwise we have a marketplace for classifieds, not a community. ;)

If Yime agrees, we all do. Everybody knows that. :)

--Marky

Well, it's just that I've sat back and watched things change so much around here that it's hard to hold my tongue.

We all recognize the money-making opportunities that this forum and this hobby have allowed. Most of the regulars and visitors here have dabbled in it while respecting the decorum. Offering a new coin for sale on occasion is perfectly acceptable because you're essentially giving something back to this community. However, offering one coin after another and flooding threads with product is nothing but full throttle profiteering. Slowly but surely, people are seeing this for what it is, and they're speaking out against it.

...I do feel that it is the duty of the forum members to let people know when they have crossed over the community lines of social decency. Otherwise we have a marketplace for classifieds, not a community. ;)

If Yime agrees, we all do. Everybody knows that. :)

--Marky

Well, it's just that I've sat back and watched things change so much around here that it's hard to hold my tongue.

We all recognize the money-making opportunities that this forum and this hobby have allowed. Most of the regulars and visitors here have dabbled in it while respecting the decorum. Offering a new coin for sale on occasion is perfectly acceptable because you're essentially giving something back to this community. However, offering one coin after another and flooding threads with product is nothing but full throttle profiteering. Slowly but surely, people are seeing this for what it is, and they're speaking out against it.

I met with some of my coin friends recently and this very topic - people producing coin after coin after coin - came up. It started when a friend turned to me and asked me:"So which coin maker is driving YOU crazy?"

I like coins. VERY much. I buy, I trade, I give away and through the graciousness of others, have been gifted some. One event coin would satisfy me. But I'm sorta simple, I guess.

Edited by ATMouse

The Yime Has Spoken.

I totally agree. While in the beginning I enjoyed all the new and different coins coming out now it is not so fun. Coin collecting it beginning to become commercial and that saps all the fun out of it. IMO. ;)

"So which coin maker is driving YOU crazy?"

So are you posing this question to us here in the forums ;) ?

I think not. My mama didn't raise no stupid children.

:)

Silly ones, but none of us is stupid.

Noticed how I asked rather than just answered :laughing: !

"So which coin maker is driving YOU crazy?"

So are you posing this question to us here in the forums ;) ?

I think not. My mama didn't raise no stupid children.

:)

Silly ones, but none of us is stupid.

Noticed how I asked rather than just answered :laughing: !

Yes sir :laughing: Our top three prolly jive . . .

Anywho, to be on topic. One event, one event coin. MEGA or similar events can have "event" themed coins to draw sponsorship and revenue. That's a good idea, and approved/discussed with the event committee. I think my little wrinkly buddy said it best. Just cuz you can, don't mean you should.

The Yime Has Spoken.

I totally agree. While in the beginning I enjoyed all the new and different coins coming out now it is not so fun. Coin collecting it beginning to become commercial and that saps all the fun out of it. IMO. ;)

Ok, I can't bite my tongue any longer on this one. I've avoided saying this lately, but not sure really why.

This is not directed towards any one person in particular, but to the group at large:

It's very interesting that a large group of people are now "coming out" against the onslaught of coins and commercialism in coins now and it's being accepted. What do I mean? A small group of us have held these same beliefs and stances for the past year and a hlaf (or longer) and been criticized for speaking out on this matter.

We've been called "negative", accused of trying to "submarine coins" and many other things that would get me banned for repeating. Don't get me wrong, I'm not lookinig for anybody to come out and say "hey! you were the first one to speak up" or anything like that - what I guess I'm saying is that many of the newer (let's call them second generation*) coin collectors are now getting to the poinit where we were previously.

My point in this rant? Maybe those of us that have been labeled "negative" and "trouble-makers" really aren't.

Maybe it's time to re-think your opinions on some of us.

* This is meant to distinguish people who have been collecting for an arbitrary number of years, let's call it 3, versus the crowd that came in about 2 years ago. It's not meant to sound elitest, althoguh I'm sure some will take it that way. It's simply a way to show that on a timeline, some of us reached the "saturation point" a while back while others are now approaching that point.

Oh, yeah - one more thing. Welcome to the dark side.

vaderlife8106e07dcmj7.jpg

Apologies to PGHLooking for this off-topic rant. If the discussion heads this way I'll be glad to open a new thread to keep this one on-topic.

- Kealia

Edited by kealia

Oh, yeah - one more thing. Welcome to the dark side.

vaderlife8106e07dcmj7.jpg

Apologies to PGHLooking for this off-topic rant. If the discussion heads this way I'll be glad to open a new thread to keep this one on-topic.

- Kealia

LMAO

I was just thinking this as I read down the thread. I can't count the number of times people have gotten nasty with you, me, and a few others about this. It got to the point where others were afraid to speak out because the "commmunity" would stand behind anything. now we have it coming full circle and people are starting to realize they aren't alone.

I assume word has gotten out about the dark side's beer being colder and free!

on topic: I am actually somewhat surprised, and relieved at how many people who disagree about so much seem to have the same views on event coins. It does seem overwhelming that permission for the event organizer is a must. I would hope they would show this support by only buying sanctioned coins which go to help the event organizers. they do they work so we can play and enjoy. Show them your support and don't feed the trolls.

I also agree that larger events can sustain a few coins. I actually missed out on a few coins at GW5, mostly because I was too busy chatting with some people. Smaller events should really only have one. I think it was tasia who said something about only selling them to event goers. I think they should always get first crack at an event coin. Leftovers should be sold after the event. I know I would be upset if I went to an event and wasn't able to get a token to remember the event by because they sold out online weeks ahead of time.

Thanks to everyone for remeaning so civil throughout this thread. I know it is a touchy subject and everyone has been pretty honest and more forward than usual. Thanks.

Edited by pghlooking

There are sooo many coins coming out that have absolutely nothing to do with caching...not even a cacher's name! I think this has made it harder to sell a personal coin since the market is flooded with new coins on an almost daily basis!

I haven't been around long, but I wouldn't mind if some of the profitting ended and we went to making just personals and such coins again.

On topic...small event=1 coin. Mega events should have a few, but shouldn't flood the visitors with them.

And lastly, come to my event with a coin I didn't approve of and you'll be shown the exit fast! I make our event coins to fund the next (and pay for that event)...someone selling coins would be competing with me at MY OWN event! I own the event...it says so right on the event page!

Well I certainly do not think I am on the "Dark Side" like for example I would never post pass on a coin. I may post things that say I will not buy it for one or more reasons. But I also think that non-geocaching related coins are fun and have a place. So not totally on the "Dark Side".

So maybe yes it took longer for me to come to the realization that there are too many coins or maybe this is the first time in the history of geocoins there has been too many. Also in the past I think 99% of coin designs were nicely done even if I did not particularly care for the design, where now a good many of the designs are just thrown together and not very nice. I have always been against the people that clearly want to make big bucks off geocoins either by charging a high per coin price or a making many many coins in a short time.

Also I think in the past if someone came in with a bunch of bad designs and made them in a short period of time they would not sell out, where now it seems to be that they are able to sell the coins out. So maybe the buying market has expanded or the newer people think that is what geocoins are supposed to be...maybe that is what geocoins are becoming.

I suppose I am one of those new people...only getting my first coin in August 2005, so according to some I have not known the good ole days of geocoins.

...It's very interesting that a large group of people are now "coming out" against the onslaught of coins and commercialism in coins now and it's being accepted. What do I mean? A small group of us have held these same beliefs and stances for the past year and a half (or longer) and been criticized for speaking out on this matter.

And there are even coins coming out of Europe that have been commissioned by a company! Not a personal coin, not an event coin, but a commercial coin. It looks like the owner? of the company is a geocacher, but the coin has the company name, not the owners geonick!

I find that particularly offensive.

I don't agree that we were all wrong two years ago. If we had all been of the same mind, there are some pretty spectacular coins that would have never been made.

But even two years ago nobody would have minted an event coin to undercut the organizers of the event. I think 99.9% of the people in this forum have higher moral standards than that.

And of course, one guy does it, and somebody is going to think it is okay, so they will do it.

It's very interesting that a large group of people are now "coming out" against the onslaught of coins and commercialism in coins now and it's being accepted. What do I mean? A small group of us have held these same beliefs and stances for the past year and a hlaf (or longer) and been criticized for speaking out on this matter.

We've been called "negative", accused of trying to "submarine coins" and many other things that would get me banned for repeating. Don't get me wrong, I'm not lookinig for anybody to come out and say "hey! you were the first one to speak up" or anything like that - what I guess I'm saying is that many of the newer (let's call them second generation*) coin collectors are now getting to the poinit where we were previously.

- Kealia

I have some simple beliefs in coins and actually withdraw out of them partly due to the sheer volume of what I considered non-related coins. Instead of saying 'pass' ~ I pass quietly, without trying to draw attention to myself. ;)

In the end, I figure if someone keeps making garbage coins which don't sell then they lose money on a them they will get the message that there are standards that should be met.

I think 99.9% of the people in this forum have higher moral standards than that.

I would say the number is lower than that, more like 80% - but that's totally subjective for each person.

Yes, please open another thread. That statement was such a target-rich environment that it deserves further discussion. ;)

Will do.

Edited by kealia