Approaching A Milestone

Jaz666

Seeing as there is another thread celebrating a milestones of postings in this forum, I thought I'd have a look at how near we all are to a much more significant milestone.

The day when there are 20,000 active (i.e. not archived, but including temp disabled) caches in the UK.

We are roughly 750 caches away from the magic number, and over the past six months there has been an average of 29 new caches a day.

By that reckoning we are roughly 26 days away - however caches getting archived affects that number, and there are quiet weeks, and busy weeks.

I'll make the first guess, and I'll stick to the 26 days - so I reckon 10th July 2007.

Any advances?????

My little spreadsheet is still predicting the 10th July.

In reality I think it might be tricky to pinpoint the exact milestone cache, but if our reviewers are willing to play along it could be done.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=11 lists how many active UK caches there are (19,434 right now), so perhaps on the big day, our reviewers could keep on checking that number after each new cache they publish, and let us know which is the magic cache?

My little spreadsheet is still predicting the 10th July.

In reality I think it might be tricky to pinpoint the exact milestone cache, but if our reviewers are willing to play along it could be done.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=11 lists how many active UK caches there are (19,434 right now), so perhaps on the big day, our reviewers could keep on checking that number after each new cache they publish, and let us know which is the magic cache?

Unfortunately this is what the Reviewers see:

Total Records: 25179 - Page: 1 of 1259

This includes Archived caches so we won't see the magic figure :blink:

After a chat in the geochat channel about if the recent weather has slowed down cache placement, and if that will affect the predicted date when we'll hit 20,000 active caches, I've re-written my little (yeah right) spreadsheet.

My original prediction was the 10th July

Now here's the predictions according to the different placement rates.

Rate in the last year = 25 per day = 12th July

Last six months = 31 per day = 9th July

Last three months = 38 per day = 7th July

Last month (up until last Saturday) = 34 per day = 8th July

So, I don't think we'll be able to pin an exact day down just yet!

Quite a few caches have been archived in the past few days, so that's thrown the dates back a bit.

Based on the placement rate in the last 3 months, 10th July.

Probably due to the weather, the rate has slowed in the last month, so it could be the 11th.

Phillimore Clan have placed 25 (possibly more) caches for this weekend's camping event .... not yet live -

Don't I know it! :D:lol::lol:

Oops, Sorry :lol::lol:

And thanks for all the hard work, all caches approved at amazing speed as usual ;):P

Edited by Phillimore Clan

Less than 300 caches to go!

Now looking like the 11th at the earliest.

well the 11th has passed with just over a hundred to go :) [a slightly busy night couldn't quite take us over 19900 :D ]

You'll have to blame Eckington, who seemed to get a bit trigger happy with the archive button a few days ago :huh: which means we've dropped a few days behind.

At time of writing there's 106 to go.

The placement rates for the last month, 3 months, and 6 months now all point to 3ish days - so it looks like Saturday could be the day.

Less than 300 caches to go!

Now looking like the 11th at the earliest.

well the 11th has passed with just over a hundred to go :) [a slightly busy night couldn't quite take us over 19900 :D ]

You'll have to blame Eckington, who seemed to get a bit trigger happy with the archive button a few days ago :huh: which means we've dropped a few days behind.

At time of writing there's 106 to go.

The placement rates for the last month, 3 months, and 6 months now all point to 3ish days - so it looks like Saturday could be the day.

Well Monday is my "special" day so I think I'd better think about doing some archiving to delay it until then :)

Ah! But more importantly who will have the honour of clicking the special "Publish" button? :huh:

I guess it would be appropriate if I pushed the button on the 16th!!

1 day and 49 caches to go! :D

...and anyone who connects this with a couple of other forum posts has finally got the message!! :tired: