it just burns me up....

Ok reading thru some logs today and checking out some possible searches that me and the boys can do after an Easter egg hunt next weekend I came across the following log.....(from 11/2006) here is the waypoint (GCQB9F)

I just wanted to say...

Who really does this? Do you all really have the time of your life doing this? I suppose you do... but... you guys really need lives.

Here we are, finding geo caches for a class... but you guys are doing this for "Fun" OH GOSH

I hope this helps you in the near future!!!

Good DAY!

I got a little steamed over it and i fired off an email...which is below....

in rebuttal to your comment in the logs of Hyde Parks first geocache...OK if you are in grade school or even Jr/Sr high school....are sitting around playing video games? or if you are a college student...are you are spending your money partying at the bars? It's not fair for me to judge you since, and here is my point, I DON'T KNOW YOU!

why judge us? I happen to enjoy this with my 2 young sons, who LOVE the idea of a treasure hunt PLUS we get several benefits from geocaching... My children get to see the city where they were born in a more close up way, we also get exercise...it beats sitting in front of a the tube eating chips. Hey you don't like it, so don't do it...do what was necessary to pass your class and move on. I don't like handball, I'm not out complaining that those people need a life, since they do that for fun.... to quote you... I hope this helps you in the future.

Scott Ferris

I probably should have just ignored it, but i have not been out since January and i'm itching to go...so this just got me all fired up.... so I guess I just want to know....what would someone else have done?

scott 1/5 of FFof5

Well, someone was forcing the poster to do something that he/she didn't want to do. I know that I've received similar comments from my wife after I've 'forced' her to go geocaching.

I'm not sure why this log made you bendy.

not sure either... I think it's the lack of caching... I'm going thru withdrawls :anitongue: ...noramlly i dont give a rats arse :D ...but it just got me :anibad: .... oh well :D

Scott

Ok reading thru some logs today and checking out some possible searches that me and the boys can do after an Easter egg hunt next weekend I came across the following log.....(from 11/2006) here is the waypoint (GCQB9F)

I just wanted to say...

Who really does this? Do you all really have the time of your life doing this? I suppose you do... but... you guys really need lives.

Here we are, finding geo caches for a class... but you guys are doing this for "Fun" OH GOSH

Good DAY!

in rebuttal to your comment in the logs of Hyde Parks first geocache...

Not sure why you got all fired up, nor why you needed to send a personal note to the logger. After all, she/he stated plainly in their log that they would rather not be geocaching, but were forced to do as part of a school class activity. Why should they not be allowed to have their opinion and feelings about geocaching? Or is it that you are very insecure about yourself and your activities, and thus take offense where none was meant?

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

He gave his opinion, you gave yours, I don't see a problem.

I've noticed that when I tell most people about Geocaching they lose interest as soon as they find out they aren't allowed to keep the cache after they find it. To them if there is no financial benifit then it's a waste of time.

To me it's an enjoyable hobby I can do as often or as seldom as I want with the added benifit of seeing new places and getting a little exercise.

We each do what we like.

I just wanted to say...

Good DAY!

Not sure why you got all fired up, nor why you needed to send a personal note to the logger. After all, she/he stated plainly in their log that they would rather not be geocaching, but were forced to do as part of a school class activity. Why should they not be allowed to have their opinion and feelings about geocaching? Or is it that you are very insecure about yourself and your activities, and thus take offense where none was meant?

Well, telling people that they really need to get lives sounds a bit offensive to me.

And to answer - I would've been mildly upset in passing, and then gone on. Like others have said, if this person kept posting logs like that in other places, I might have sent him a polite note telling him to stop being offensive. ( :huh::laughing: )

Often when people act like jerks they do so for attention. So I tend to think that it is best to just ignore such things.

I'm local to that cache, and saw the log a while ago (it's from last November). It's just kids, be it Jr. High, High School, or college (I'm guessing the former). I just ignored it, although posting a note to the cache page did cross my mind, I guess.

Often when people act like jerks they do so for attention. So I tend to think that it is best to just ignore such things.

I'm local to that cache, and saw the log a while ago (it's from last November). It's just kids, be it Jr. High, High School, or college (I'm guessing the former). I just ignored it, although posting a note to the cache page did cross my mind, I guess.

Yes, ignoring it is probably the best, but even for a kid the 'get a life' comment is as close as you can get to crossing the line. Good thing they weren't a newscaster*.

I just wanted to say...

Good DAY!

I guess someone has to hit you with a hammer before you are offended. :huh: I don't like smart mouthed kids, no matter how old they are. Your reply is oozing with typical bleeding heart liberalism. So, put the bong down and answer this question... If it's so OK for the smart mouthed kid to "be allowed to have their opinion and feelings", why is it not OK for the Ferris Family? That person was obviously going out of their way to insult geocachers by telling us, we need a life. And you are right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, coming on to a geocaching site, and spewing such an opinion is hateful and malicious. I applaud the Ferris Family for returning such a statement. They are a sight milder than I would have been. The important lesson here is, that one can spew anything they like, but they should be prepared to be responsible for their words. I would think you had learned that from the Dixie Chicks. :laughing: We certainly don't all have to agree. But we all have to standby our own statements. Had I read the insult in another unrelated forum, I still would have defended the game, as so many play it. But to bring it and post it on a geocaching page is just cruising for a bruising. And by the way....that's just my "opinion and feelings". Thank You Ferris Family. X

Wow X-isle...that came off a bit "harsh" didn't it? "Put down your bong"?? Can YOUR words stand on their own here?

I believe (and could be wrong, if so the OP can correct), that this was a log for a cache?? Where did you intend they should have posted? They went for a cache, found it (I'm thinking) and wrote a log just like all of us do! They OBVIOUSLY weren't there for their own enjoyment (being forced to participate for a school function) and weren't liking it! What's malicious and hateful about saying that in a log? OK, so they said we need to get a life...are you so thin skinned that a little observation by some "smart mouthed kids" offends you?

Not every point is a dagger in your back my friend!!

I felt that the note on the cache page was intended to insult. Considering that I am trying to teach my 12 yr old to respect other people and she is a cacher, I would have definitely pointed out the rudeness in the note and explained why I felt it was inappropriate. :anitongue: Then I might just contact the cache owner to ask that the note be removed... <_<

My take on the log is that this person is not overly fond of our sport (possibly not an outdoors type) and is a bit "mystified" by the fact that we cachers would enjoy being eaten by bugs, scratched, scraped and abused by the foliage, trample through wet areas and labor on the terrains we do JUST for fun!! Hey, to each their own...I'm loving it!! I can't explain exactly why to my brothers (who think I, and all cachers in general, are NUTS!!!) but I don't try to change their opinion with comments that may be taken rudely...let them figure it out for themselves!! You can lead a horse.......

Whether or not the cache finder should have posted that note, and whether or not Scott should have responded to it, that's all really "eye of the beholder" stuff. What I find interesting (and unfortunate) is that it echoes something what many of us have felt at one time or another about a number of activities -- "you think this is *fun*?"

Okay, so maybe we don't "get" it -- but why then does it seem to raise so much strong emotion? Why do people feel the need to take that extra step and *insult* the person who *does* enjoy the activity? That kind of response, bordering on visciousness, implies that there's a lot more going on there than just dismissing an activity in which one has no interest.

I remember clearly a time when I had that reaction. I was in my mid-twenties and was dating someone who really liked going out to clubs -- night after night after night. And I tried to keep up, because I really did have a crush on this person. Finally one night we're sitting at this table and cannot talk because of the level of the music and the lights are giving me a headache and everyone around me is a little (or very) impaired, and I nudge my companion and yell, as sarcastically as I can, "So this is fun -- why, exactly?"

Part of me really wanted to know. And part of me was looking at a scene that I obviously didn't fit into and needing to feel superior to it, somehow, precisely because I didn't fit in. The fact that I didn't want to was irrelevant: I didn't belong, and that made me uncomfortable. And people do odd things when they're uncomfortable. Like lashing out at the people who *do* feel comfortable.

If I can't belong, then I'll say it's not worth belonging. We see it on the playground all the time. And adults do it too, they just try to be more subtle, more sophisticated about it. But it's the same thing, really.

The reality is that most of the time, people who urge you to "get a life" are simply projecting: they're the ones who, in fact, need to get a life.

I went back and re-read the listing that spawned the OP. Yes the comment was a bit rude and harsh, but put in the context of a bored teen being forced to do something for school, it didn't seem that out of place to me. Especially considering that they are in NY. :anitongue:

I think the OP should shrug it off, the rest of you should leave vinny and his bong alone, and the person who made the offending post should be required to do two weekends of cache maintenance with Vinny instead of detention or being vilified by us or being banninated. <_<

wow what a response... so many different views... thanx to each and everyone of you for putting in your 2 cents.... (I'm up almost 48 cents!) As X said... mouthy kids just ruin my day... I am trying hard to instill in my children that it pays to be polite all the time and teach tolerance, but if something irks you go ahead and express your opinions.... you may get a rebuttal, but make sure you can back up your argument! MY email to the log poster was just my way of pointing out it's not fair to judge, Like I said, I don't like handball, but I don't ostracize those who play...just like ...OK here goes... :anitongue: Basketball... I hate the game... <_< but guess what? my 3 year old at this point loves to play.... so do i discourage him? NOPE... i do my darnedest to show him what i do know and play with him....

again thanx everyone...

Scott

1/5 of FFof5

I went back and re-read the listing that spawned the OP. Yes the comment was a bit rude and harsh, but put in the context of a bored teen being forced to do something for school, it didn't seem that out of place to me. Especially considering that they are in NY. <_<

I think the OP should shrug it off, the rest of you should leave vinny and his bong alone, and the person who made the offending post should be required to do two weekends of cache maintenance with Vinny instead of detention or being vilified by us or being banninated. :P

Well, in no particular order....

The political inference/assertion by X-Isle was rather strange: I am totally apolitical (far more focused on Holy Spirit than with external manifestions in this world such as politics), and have NEVER been accused of being affiliated with any point/position on the political spectrum in my life, and thus the emergence of this rather vehement claim was rather funny and astounding!

Likewise, the inference/assertion by X-Isle about "bong" was rather strange as as well: first, I have no involvement of any kind with drugs; I do not even ingest over-the-counter remedies or prescription drugs (believe me, as any of the locals can tell you, I am very crazy, uninhibited and eccentric, and I do not need drugs to help me be that way; rather, I was born that way...!), and second, there was the fascinating implication by the poster that anyone whom he assumes to be a flaming liberal must also use drugs (and also a device called a bong.) I had never enountered that particular stereotype before! Wow!

Lastly, as for cache maintenance: Yes, I need someone to make the ascent to Psycho Urban Cache #13 and put some more geocoins in the container, and I also need someone to rappell down to the final stage of Psycho Urban Cache #14 to add a few swag items. Thank you for offering X-Isle for these chores! :(:angry:

P.S. Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations needs a maintenance visit as well! :o

:(

Late edit: P.P.S. I forgot to mention above... I am quite thick-skinned, but the remarks by X-Isle really stung, and hence, I am gonna punish you all by committing public geocide: from the moment that I hit the SEND POST button onward, I will refuse to read any posts on these forums, or to send any posts to these forums, for TEN WHOLE MINUTES! So there! See if you can live without my posts for ten minutes!

:anitongue::(:o

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

It could have been worse... much worse.

They could have trashed the cache, and gone on to trash others! I remember seeing threads to about this being a problem in some cities. At it was, the only contact was a single rude log; from someone that will never be heard from again...thank goodness!

It's very difficult dealing with someone who treats what you enjoy with contempt.

That's how I feel when someone puts down sailing, kayaking, and of course SNORKELING! <_<

(BYW, if you want to hear about all the great opportunities that exist snorkeling in Michigan's inland waters, just send me a private email.) :anitongue:

Edited by michigansnorkeler

I remember clearly a time when I had that reaction. I was in my mid-twenties and was dating someone who really liked going out to clubs -- night after night after night. And I tried to keep up, because I really did have a crush on this person. Finally one night we're sitting at this table and cannot talk because of the level of the music and the lights are giving me a headache and everyone around me is a little (or very) impaired, and I nudge my companion and yell, as sarcastically as I can, "So this is fun -- why, exactly?"

I hear ya, but what would have happened if you had said. "you guys really need lives"

Kind of ups the ante on the sarcasm scale if you ask me.

The cache poster it made it personal. It wasn't that they said they didn't like it, it was "there is something wrong with your life."

Edited for clarification.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I went back and re-read the listing that spawned the OP. Yes the comment was a bit rude and harsh, but put in the context of a bored teen being forced to do something for school, it didn't seem that out of place to me. Especially considering that they are in NY. :o

I think the OP should shrug it off, the rest of you should leave vinny and his bong alone, and the person who made the offending post should be required to do two weekends of cache maintenance with Vinny instead of detention or being vilified by us or being banninated. :anitongue:

Well, in no particular order....

The political inference/assertion by X-Isle was rather strange: I am totally apolitical (far more focused on Holy Spirit than with external manifestions in this world such as politics), and have NEVER been accused of being affiliated with any point/position on the political spectrum in my life, and thus the emergence of this rather vehement claim was rather funny and astounding!

Likewise, the inference/assertion by X-Isle about "bong" was rather strange as as well: first, I have no involvement of any kind with drugs; I do not even ingest over-the-counter remedies or prescription drugs (believe me, as any of the locals can tell you, I am very crazy, uninhibited and eccentric, and I do not need drugs to help me be that way; rather, I was born that way...!), and second, there was the fascinating implication by the poster that anyone whom he assumes to be a flaming liberal must also use drugs (and also a device called a bong.) I had never enountered that particular stereotype before! Wow!

Lastly, as for cache maintenance: Yes, I need someone to make the ascent to Psycho Urban Cache #13 and put some more geocoins in the container, and I also need someone to rappell down to the final stage of Psycho Urban Cache #14 to add a few swag items. Thank you for offering X-Isle for these chores! :(:(

P.S. Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations needs a maintenance visit as well! <_<

:P

Late edit: P.P.S. I forgot to mention above... I am quite thick-skinned, but the remarks by X-Isle really stung, and hence, I am gonna punish you all by committing public geocide: from the moment that I hit the SEND POST button onward, I will refuse to read any posts on these forums, or to send any posts to these forums, for TEN WHOLE MINUTES! So there! See if you can live without my posts for ten minutes!

:(:o:(

Oh now...no reason for such extreme measures. :( I tried to insert smiliies in my retort. And I apologize for assuming you belong to such a radical leftist organization bent on the countries destruction. I am wrong on occassion, and will readily admit so when proven wrong. However, I stand by my assertion that the little loud mouth (how ever old it is) was intentionally casting malicious remarks. And the OP was perfectly justified in her response. (Did I mention I automatically associate liberals with Berkley and copious amounts of marijuana and lack of bathing?) I certainly don't mean to be harsh, although I can see how my posts can be construed as so. I try, as I previously mentioned, to insert smilies whereever possible. I am simply plain spoken...with a smile on my face. No harm intended, but I will say exactly what I mean, and stand by it. As for the assistance with maintenance, I'm down for anything that involves descending and rappeling, especially where there's a deep dark cavern involved! I hope your ten minutes are up...I feel chastized beyond what I can bare. :angry:X

PS....did Roddy say something? :P

(Did I mention I automatically associate liberals with Berkley and copious amounts of marijuana and lack of bathing?)

In these forums, your best bet it to simply follow our guidelines linked at the top of every page.

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Whether you are from Atlanta, GA, Ardmore, OK or Berkley, CA, you should give the same respect to everyone here. People in Berkley might consider us rednecks considering where we are from. I would be highly offended by such a remark frankly. I would hope the moderators would smack someone if they called me a backwards kindergarten educated redneck. Your comment is pretty much as offensive. You would be better served to keep such remarks to yourself since they only make you look bad, not the people you are trying to paint with the broad brush.

What I find oddest about this whole incident is not that teens can be petulant, but that some teacher, somewhere, forced said teens to play this game. What the heck was he thinking? Geocaching would make for a perfectly suitable, short term college course, where the students are all there on a voluntary basis, but this is not a game to teach to students who have no choice.

....Well, telling people that they really need to get lives sounds a bit offensive to me....

It's intended as offensive. Yet whenever it's said, I usually look at the person saying it and normally find they lack anything resembling a real life. Then I just smile and it pisses them off since clearly they think they rate enough to be respected. Alas, if only they had a life worthy of respect.

Edited by Renegade Knight

What I find oddest about this whole incident is not that teens can be petulant, but that some teacher, somewhere, forced said teens to play this game. What the heck was he thinking? Geocaching would make for a perfectly suitable, short term college course, where the students are all there on a voluntary basis, but this is not a game to teach to students who have no choice.

I wouldn't say a teacher forced students to participate just yet.

I am currently taking Art appreciation. I chose it over history because I assumed it would be easier, and it fit my schedule slightly better. Now that I am in there I found that I pretty much despise the class. I do well in it, but I do not enjoy it.

What may have happened is some jerk thought he was getting some freebie credits in an easy class, and found out once into it he hated it. So he takes it out in his comments about it.

It is still no excuse, because in the end he is the one who took it, and has no right to down others because they do enjoy it. I'm not all that fond of what people consider "fine art" but I still have to learn about it, and if they enjoy it that's cool. But you won't find me going to any art gallery's out of my own free will.

I was annoyed at the comment. Then I saw that it was a park-and-grab nano. :sad: Seriously, it was a rude post by the student, and it certainly was meant to offend -- why else post it? -- but I'm not at all surprised at a teen who doesn't think finding a rolled up piece of paper near a parking lot is entertaining.

It depends what the class was. It could have been math, geography, technology, wilderness survival (my dad taught that as a high school course; the kids who took it thinking it'd be a "blow-off" were in for a rude awakening), an ROTC class -- caching would be a great tool for teaching any of those.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I was annoyed at the comment. Then I saw that it was a park-and-grab nano. :sad: Seriously, it was a rude post by the student, and it certainly was meant to offend -- why else post it? -- but I'm not at all surprised at a teen who doesn't think finding a rolled up piece of paper near a parking lot is entertaining.

One trusts that the class, whatever it was, explored all sorts of different caches. There are almost as many ways to play as there are geocachers. I hope the instructor had the expertise and the good sense to give them a taste of everything -- micros, deep-woods-hike caches, puzzle caches, multis, etc.

It certainly would not be a good introduction to the hobby to only show one way it's done, and a real disservice to all the myriad different caches out there.

-- Jeannette (working on her own next multi as we speak)

One trusts that the class, whatever it was, explored all sorts of different caches. There are almost as many ways to play as there are geocachers. I hope the instructor had the expertise and the good sense to give them a taste of everything -- micros, deep-woods-hike caches, puzzle caches, multis, etc.

It certainly would not be a good introduction to the hobby to only show one way it's done, and a real disservice to all the myriad different caches out there.

-- Jeannette (working on her own next multi as we speak)

If it were a geocaching class, sure. I think it was more likely tangential to a standard subject, like the ones I listed.

(As a parent, taxpayer, and geocacher, I'd be behind a one day geocaching field trip but annoyed at anything beyond that).

....Well, telling people that they really need to get lives sounds a bit offensive to me....

It's intended as offensive. Yet whenever it's said, I usually look at the person saying it and normally find they lack anything resembling a real life. Then I just smile and it pisses them off since clearly they think they rate enough to be respected. Alas, if only they had a life worthy of respect.

:laughing::o