GeoTags / Pathtags

Anthus

I contacted both Coins & Pins and Oakcoins. They both offer the trolley coins (which is what a pathtag is). They are also called caddy coins. Coins & Pins said they call them GeoTags. They come in different sizes and thicknesses but are generally only one sided and not much bigger than 1.25". Coins & Pins said they can put GC tracking numbers on the back if a customer wants them to be trackable and I'm sure any broker would also do the same.

So, the good news is that you can get these from other brokers. Check with your favorite coin broker for pricing and options.

Thanks....Anthus

I had no idea until the event that these were so thick. A local cacher had a sig item she was calling a "geocoin" then called it something else and I thought it was a pathtag, but after this weekend I realized it wasn't. The item she has is very thin and rather cheap looking, these are very nice.

Anthus,

You would need to do a starter set via Pathtags.com to get your tracking number .. after that .. I can not see why you could not have another vendor make the same item with your number on it.

Sticking nose in... by trackable I think he means such. The pathtags are not trackable on geocaching or the pathtag site. They are just a sig item to trade or drop in a cache.

I thought they were trackable on the pathtag site? :rolleyes:

I may be wrong, but I think the pathtag 'tracking' is more like a guestbook or such. Where people can put a note they have/seen it, not that it tracks where the tag is or has been (like gc.com tracking is used for).

The way I see it is that the ID number on the back is similar to Icon collecting rather than tracking (since all pathtags of a single design share the same ID number). I think they are cute and fun to collect. If you want something that moves from cache to cache, I'd look for something else, just to avoid confusion.

--Marky

Trolley tags/caddy coins come in all sizes they range from 20.50mm diameters up to 28.50 diameters, with thicknesses ranging from 1.3mm to 3.0mm, but then again those are just the standard sizes that vary by country. They can be tracked on gc.com when it comes down to it they are basically a micro with a whole in it, the process is different however in making trolly tags which does have a much cheaper cost for the dies. We have been toying with the idea of offering them on coinswag.com but are still in the early stages.

Edited by Team Jsam

Let it go Anthus.

?? Let what go ?? I'm just sharing some info. I had several people email me and say that if I found anything out to let them know. The forums are for asking questions and sharing information. I'm going to get some geoTags made for my daughters as a trade only item and for dropping in their favorite caches. They will not be sold.

Anthus,

You would need to do a starter set via Pathtags.com to get your tracking number .. after that .. I can not see why you could not have another vendor make the same item with your number on it.

No. I'm not concerned with them being on Pathtags.com so I'm going through another vendor.

Sticking nose in... by trackable I think he means such. The pathtags are not trackable on geocaching or the pathtag site. They are just a sig item to trade or drop in a cache.

Pathtags are not individually trackable. You get one number for your whole mint. I guess its a way of saying the coin in yours?? We'll just be putting our Anthus name on it and those wanting to learn more about it can go to our geoprofile page.

Trolley tags/caddy coins come in all sizes they range from 20.50mm diameters up to 28.50 diameters, with thicknesses ranging from 1.3mm to 3.0mm, but then again those are just the standard sizes that vary by country. They can be tracked on gc.com when it comes down to it they are basically a micro with a whole in it, the process is different however in making trolly tags which does have a much cheaper cost for the dies. We have been toying with the idea of offering them on coinswag.com but are still in the early stages.

That is what Coins & Pins told me -- different countries have different sizes. I'm learning a lot about the trolley coins. I think they are pretty neat.

The way I see it is that the ID number on the back is similar to Icon collecting rather than tracking (since all pathtags of a single design share the same ID number). I think they are cute and fun to collect. If you want something that moves from cache to cache, I'd look for something else, just to avoid confusion.

--Marky

Does this mean you'll be getting your own tag? :rolleyes: They really are cute. We'll have to trade!

Edited by AtlantaGal

I would also like to get the links to the Pathtags and similar coins/tokens.

Thanks

LeonW

For something rather affordable in the $1 or less range:

www.pathtags.com - Pathtags

www.geocoins.net - custom metal tokens & wooden nickels.

Also check with any of the coin brokers -- I believe there is a list of coin brokers in the pinned thread regarding coin minting. I will send you a message with the links and info I have so far. I'll also send to The Moops Along. I don't have specific pricing yet. But as soon as I do, I'll forward that info on too. I think these are cute and cannot wait to get the ones for my daughters done! The girls are coming up with their own designs and are about 50% done with them. They are having a blast with it and cannot wait to start trading. :rolleyes:

I would also like to get the links to the Pathtags and similar coins/tokens.

Thanks

LeonW

For something rather affordable in the $1 or less range:

www.pathtags.com - Pathtags

www.geocoins.net - custom metal tokens & wooden nickels.

Also check with any of the coin brokers -- I believe there is a list of coin brokers in the pinned thread regarding coin minting. I will send you a message with the links and info I have so far. I'll also send to The Moops Along. I don't have specific pricing yet. But as soon as I do, I'll forward that info on too. I think these are cute and cannot wait to get the ones for my daughters done! The girls are coming up with their own designs and are about 50% done with them. They are having a blast with it and cannot wait to start trading. :rolleyes:

Could I impose upon you to seen me the same information? I'd really appreciate it.

Now, I just have to figure out a design!

I have some PathTags for myself and soon will have PathTags for my twins, Twin A and Twin B. I've never heard of a geotag so I cannot comment on them. For me the PathTags were about quality, price and community...community first and foremost. The PathTag website those boys put together is simply awesome and fun. Everything going on over there seems to light and fun. I'm also ordering some pathtags for my son’s senior year in high school instead of a senior ring (which he did not want). I think the PathTags have just enough geek in them to keep um cool for him and his programming buddies. To me the PathTag incorporates a since of community and the other similar objects sold by different vendors seems to be just another sig item without the website that binds them as one. One is a PathTag and the others which I’m sure are comparable are micro like non-trackable geocoins. So as far as comparing them to each other I don’t feel they can be compared…just my 2 cents and I’m fixen’ to run out of pennies soon.

Pepper

Pathtags are way more than just a trolley token. If you want *just* a small one sided coin-like sig item - yeah... you can just get a trolley token made almost anywhere.

Pathtags go way beyond the physical item. Along with the tags you get free access to our community site with extensive trading and collecting tools. The features of the community are still being added to and new tags and users come online almost daily. You can't walk into an active trading community (240+ unique designs, over 2300 trades done with the online tool) with the kinds of tools provided simply by having a trolley tag made. And I doubt you can have trolley tags made for much less than Pathtags cost you for the items *and* all the features of the community site.

Pathtags are no more a trolley tag than a travel bug is a dog tag. No one sits around saying "A travel bug is *just* a dog tag". The value of a travel bug is tied to the functionality provided by Geocaching.com. It's 100% equivalent to how Pathtags get their value. It's not the item alone.

Pathtags are an invention of myself and The Geocoin Club, LLC.

I contacted both Coins & Pins and Oakcoins. They both offer the trolley coins (which is what a pathtag is). They are also called caddy coins. Coins & Pins said they call them GeoTags. They come in different sizes and thicknesses but are generally only one sided and not much bigger than 1.25". Coins & Pins said they can put GC tracking numbers on the back if a customer wants them to be trackable and I'm sure any broker would also do the same.

So, the good news is that you can get these from other brokers. Check with your favorite coin broker for pricing and options.

Thanks....Anthus

Would these be tracking numbers for geocoins or would it be a number off of a travel bug tag that you have already purchased? (the 1.50 vs 5 for trackability)

If they would allow them to be tracked like geocoins, I think I would have some made.

Thanks....Anthus

Would these be tracking numbers for geocoins or would it be a number off of a travel bug tag that you have already purchased? (the 1.50 vs 5 for trackability)

If they would allow them to be tracked like geocoins, I think I would have some made.

You can get a trolly coin from anybody, but it's still not a pathtag...if it has gc dot com tracking then it's geocoin!

Simply really.

Pepepr

Thanks....Anthus

Yes. I was talking about gc tracking numbers. A Pathtag (the physical coin itself; not talking about their web site community) looks just like a trolley coin -- can be same size, same thickness, same hole, same one sided type of design. If you order from other vendors you have the "option" to put gc tracking numbers on them also and the vendors are very flexible and will create what you want rather than you sticking to what GCC limits their Pathtag designs to.

You need to determine what it is you want to do with your sig item. If you want an inexpensive sig item, then a trolley/pathtag coin is probably for you. If you want to trade for other trolley/pathtags then a trolley/pathtag is probably for you. If you want to trade for geocoins, then your probably better off minting a geocoin.

Oakcoins and Coins & Pins are very good to work with. You can send them an email and they will answer any questions you have about trolley coins and geocoins.

Hope that helps....Anthus

But, you should remember if you create a trackable (GC) coin, the size of the pathtag, each tracking # is going to cost you $1.50. If you choose to have an icon, that is $150 and you have to mint a minimum of 250 for an icon. I'm not saying it is bad, I'm just saying that that is an additional cost to the coin. After your initial order, pathtags are about $1 a piece. That includes tracking on their site.

Pathtags are different from geocoins. I bought my boyfriend some for Christmas, and he really enjoys trading them and is having fun with the pathtag site.

Edited by MustangJoni

But, you should remember if you create a trackable (GC) coin, the size of the pathtag, each tracking # is going to cost you $1.50. If you choose to have an icon, that is $150 and you have to mint a minimum of 250 for an icon. I'm not saying it is bad, I'm just saying that that is an additional cost to the coin.

Good point. If you want an "inexpensive" sig then you probably don't want to spend the $$ on tracking and icons (but other vendors offer the option if you want it). Also keep in mind that not all geocoins have gc tracking numbers.

That includes tracking on their site.

Tracking on the Pathtag site is not an individual coin tracking. It is one number used for an entire Pathtag edition. So, if you are looking for each coin to be tracked individually (much like a travel bug), you will need a different method of tracking than what Pathtags offer. There is gc tracking but there are also other places that offer individual coin tracking numbers with their own tracking database.

If it were me and it was important to me that all my coins be tracked individually, then I would go with a geocoin. If I was not concerned about individual tracking and wanted something inexpensive, then I would go with a trolley coin. If I wanted to trade my sig item for geocoins, then I would go with a geocoin. It all comes down to what you want to do with your sig item and how much money you are willing to spend on your sig item.

Thanks....Anthus

To me comparing pathtags with geocoins is like comparing apples and oranges.

They both have their pros and cons. I am minting another coins soon. It won't be trackable. I'm also considering doing a pathtag. I don't consider them the same thing. I want a pathtag to trade for other pathtags. I want a geocoin to trade for other geocoins. If I had a wooden nickel, I'd have it to trade for other wooden nickels. Pin traders generally trade for other pins.

Pathtags are not geocoins. Geocoins are not pathtags. Neither is a wooden nickel or a pin or a beanie baby! LOL - They just aren't comparable to me.

Pathtags are not geocoins.....

I agree here

Exactly. I agree 100% with that statement. :P Trolleys are not geocoins. They are both sig items. Both have their pros and cons. Many collectors have both. I'm in the process of making trolleys for my daughters (designs are now 100% done now :P ) so I will be sending them out for quote from my favorite vendors shortly.

We can also manufacture trolley coins.

Thanks for the update. The confirmed vendors offering trolley coins are as follows. If I'm missing, anyone, please let me know.

Coins & Pins

Oakcoins

Geocoins.net

CH Quality Coins

coinswag.com

GCC

If you don't see your favorite vendor, please check with them prior to making your trolley for may also offer them.

Thanks everyone......Anthus

edited to add coinswag.com as a confirmed vendor

Edited by Anthus
Where is all this weird anger toward Pathtags coming from anyway? :P
I haven't detected any anger towards pathtags. There has been some (somewhat heated) discussion about the difference between trolley coins and pathtags and geocoins. This thread started to discuss minting a trolley coin and wanting the best price. I think the thread as a whole was informative and I think the overall feeling towards pathtags is positive. I am a glass half full kinda guy though...

--Marky

You can get a trolly coin from anybody, but it's still not a pathtag...

Pepper

I agree with this. Where is all this weird anger toward Pathtags coming from anyway? :P

I wondered if I was the only one who was seeing that mayby just maybe one certain person had an adgenda of sorts? I thought I was loosing my mind. I do agree with Marky it has been informative and thanks to the GCC/GCS for stepping in with an explanation. I see I was on the right track with my earlier post about the community, and the related website. It is nice to know there is something out there to meet everybodys needs/wants.

Pepper

I agree with this. Where is all this weird anger toward Pathtags coming from anyway? :P

Not sure what you mean by "weird anger". I have no anger with Pathtags. :P I think they are cute. I'd by happy to trade for them with my trolley (since Pathtag is a trademark of GCC, I have to refer to them as trolleys or geoTags when done by other vendors). Just wanted to get them somewhere other than GCC. I realize that Pathtags come with an online community web site and that is the value added that GCC is offering at that is a good trading community. But, I will not go through GCC for any more of my sig items. So, I inquired about getting them from other vendors and others have informed me that other vendors offer the trolley coins. So, no hidden agenda here. Just looking looking to get a Pathtag/trolley done without having to go through GCC.

And I in no way want to start a war between Pathtags/trolleys and gecoins (or any other sig item). That is why I closed my other thread. Because it was turning into that. I just wanted to learn more about these sig items and to share information. :P So, please don't take it the wrong way.

At a $1 a tag does anyone know what makes the molds different or the minting process. There has to be something to get the price so low other than the size. Some micros are still more than $2.50 ($1 + 1.50 tracking).

They don't have GC tracking numbers. They are trackable at pathtags.com.

Right but how is the cost still $1?

Just doing some simple math: Refills are $1 a tag. $.40 or so of that is shipping. That means $.60 is the cost of the tag (profit in there of course). Assuming this math add the original orders The cost of the mold is only $45. Orginal order $100 - shipping of $40 and you get 25 tags @ $.60 is $55 total difference between original order and refill.

If this is all true, the cost of the mold is very cheap and so is the cost per tag, even if you compare to a micro and take out the tracking of a $1.50. I was just wanted to know how these are made differently then a normal coin to keep the cost so low.

At a $1 a tag does anyone know what makes the molds different or the minting process. There has to be something to get the price so low other than the size. Some micros are still more than $2.50 ($1 + 1.50 tracking).

Just doing some simple math: Refills are $1 a tag. $.40 or so of that is shipping. That means $.60 is the cost of the tag (profit in there of course). Assuming this math add the original orders The cost of the mold is only $45. Orginal order $100 - shipping of $40 and you get 25 tags @ $.60 is $55 total difference between original order and refill.

If this is all true, the cost of the mold is very cheap and so is the cost per tag, even if you compare to a micro and take out the tracking of a $1.50. I was just wanted to know how these are made differently then a normal coin to keep the cost so low.

I'm sure if www.pathtags.com told you the answer, you'd be carted off to a deep dark secret place, never to be seen or heard from again :P

I don't know how you can get any more inexpensive for the quality of tag you receive, and I dare not ask. :P

well if one of the side of the tag is blank, the mold/die (are they cast or pressed from blanks??) for that side should be relatively simple right? :P If all the different tags are the same size, maybe that back could even be reused?

The back of the pathtag is always reused. Size, shape, and thinkness are the same on all. The smaller the die, the less money to make so only about 35 dollars for the die. The metal is also magnetic so that is cheeper. Also, the shipping is much less that $40.00 the more you ship, the less per tag it is so only $25 dollars for shipping. These are just ruff estimates so don't quote me on this but I do think this is close to the price.

The back of the pathtag is always reused. Size, shape, and thinkness are the same on all. The smaller the die, the less money to make so only about 35 dollars for the die. The metal is also magnetic so that is cheeper. Also, the shipping is much less that $40.00 the more you ship, the less per tag it is so only $25 dollars for shipping. These are just ruff estimates so don't quote me on this but I do think this is close to the price.

That all helps, thanks. iron base versus copper of bronze makes a big difference.

We LOVE our four (so far!) Pathtags!

Wow! 4 different ones! Cool! I had never seen pathtags before yesterday. When I received the GCF goodie bags, there was a pleasant surprise, 6 different pathtags! I have visited the site once or twice and they are certainly interesting and have a blossoming community around them. :P

I have no anger towards pathtags. I have a couple and have considered having some made because coins are getting out of hand, making and buying them. The price keeps going up and for no other reason then because people will pay the price for them.

As for the pathtags, I was just asking if the tracking site was up and running for others to log them and was stating that I agree that pathtags are not the same as a geocoin. No anger intented though.