Geocoin hotel caches? Is there such a thing?

EPMinnesota

Is there such a thing as a geocoin hotel cache much like travel bug hotels? While I'm not sure these would be a good idea I'm intrigued by the idea that it might be depending on where it's located. We are proprieters of a travel bug spa and hotel that I think is set well with no trading required, you can leave or take as many as you like, and barring bad weather (like the subzero we've had here in MN lately) travel bugs only are welcome at our hotel for a max of 30 days and then I personally move them along. Would a coin hotel that worked like that be a good idea or is it just to risky?

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'd love to hear any other thoughts anyone has. I'm thinking I might consider this further and perhaps use a small cammo container as a hanging cache. It would be somewhat in the area of our tb hotel and not far from home so easy to check up on as needed. I'd like it to be specific to those that are into coins.

My main thought is PLEASE don't turn it into a geocoin prison! I've had coins sit for a while in one geocoin prison, and another coin disappeared when the geocoin prison that it was incarcerated in was muggled.

A good cache in a suitable location should draw coins (or at least one would hope that it could). Geocoin caches that I've seen with trade-one "requirements" tend to be holding grounds for geocoin copies.

My main thought is PLEASE don't turn it into a geocoin prison! I've had coins sit for a while in one geocoin prison, and another coin disappeared when the geocoin prison that it was incarcerated in was muggled.

A good cache in a suitable location should draw coins (or at least one would hope that it could). Geocoin caches that I've seen with trade-one "requirements" tend to be holding grounds for geocoin copies.

In my experience they cycle through pretty good. I guess it depends on the cachers in the area.

I did one of these. The idea was a "take a penny, leave a penny" sort of a thing so people could switch out coins. To "protect it" from being raided completely a put a little puzzle on it. That way those who figured out the puzzle could always safely leave coins there. The location isn't bad. The problem is, the puzzle might be a little too difficult as a few coins have gotten stuck, but for the most part, it seems to work. :rolleyes:

I am curious what you consider a "prison" and can you give an example of a coin sitting for a while? I am not understanding what you mean.

I am curious what you consider a "prison" and can you give an example of a coin sitting for a while? I am not understanding what you mean.

A "prison" is a cache (geocoin or TB) with a take one leave one requirement. Most geocoins in circulation are travel bugs whose owners mean for them to travel - not to sit in a museum waiting for someone else with a coin to happen by and make a swap.

I hate to pick on a specific example, but GCVA5V is a prision that has been archived. (My coin was there for only two weeks before the cache dissappeared. But, had the cache not been muggled, it could have spent much more time there when it should have been travelling.

I've visited and had 8 geocoins move through GCVRQ2. It's a nicely done cache, and the coins have moved relatively well throught there. But they do tend to linger longer (10-30 days) than they do in caches without trading requirements.

If you want to see folks with strong opinions of TB prisons, visit the TB forum.

For my tb hotel I use a 30 day limit (give or take depending on weather) for bugs to hang out. After than if one isn't moving I'll pick it up and move it along or if I know I'm going to an event in the near future I'll leave it until just before I go and if it's still there pickd it up and take it along. Most bugs move along before 30 days but for those that don't, is that too long for coins?

We adopted a Geocoin Vault on a trail in the local Santa Monica Mountains. It's a decon container secured to the back of a trail sign. The agency which controls the land here has approved geocaching, and they encourage us to keep hiding ;) In fact, several of the rangers are occasional cachers, which is great! Anyway, because it is on the trail that runs on the ridgeline, it doesn't get as much activity as some caches, and I'm thinking of moving it lower down, so that coins don't spend months in it. Of course, the problem is finding an open spot ;) But this is something that you want to keep in mind; like any travelers' hotel, it has to be both accessible and safe: no easy task!

A team in my area just published a cache "TZI Life $avings" that has the potential to become a geocoin prison. We visited it and we left four of our coins in exchange for four we had been tracking on our watchlist. It was a fun cache for us, but it was located on very steep, off trail terrain that would not be accessible to a large portion of geocachers in our area. I will be watching it over the next month to see if any of the coins get moved.

:P The main problem is getting cachers to log in the log book what they are taking AND in the coin log. There are cachers for some reason that just take and not even bother to document (that gets rather discouraging). And that is a whole different subject as to why "keep" someone else's property since you can never "own" it yourself! Now, if we could get every one to document!!!