Whoops! Made a boo boo

nutlady

At 4:30 this morning, a well seasoned cacher ( a few thousand finds) was confronted at one of my new caches by security guards. First off, I will admit as I hid the cache, I saw NO security, reason for there to BE security ( still dont), or reason to think it was not in the public right of way, I have found several like it. So cache placement is MY fault, and cache was immediatly archived.

The cacher REFUSED to leave the area after being asked too, until he found the "cache". I get a letter today from some guy in a building nearby that hes destroyed the cache taken from security, and mentioned that the cacher involved was confrontational, thrashing about, and hitting his fence in his attempt to find the cache. All of this in front of security guards.

To think that he could have just left as he was asked to, sent me a mail and I could have archived it without any confrontation.......I am absolutly bewildered by this persons actions! Just what we need!

Im not giving him his coveted FTF , either! :D

G'day

I am curious as to what the cacher's take on it was. Is this the way he or she saw things?

Andrew

Maybe I am a wussy, but even if I know for a fact that I am absolutely right and the owners, neighbors, security or police are in the wrong I am going to be polite, explain myself, and move along when asked to do so.

I used to spend quite a lot of time riding with cops when I was a case monitor for our Department of Youth Services and frequently saw what happens when someone 'stands up for their rights' in such situations - they usually ended up on their a$s!

Avoid the confrontation, come back tomorrow and work through channels if you feel you are in the right.

FTF Frenzy is a psychiatric disorder. :D Symptoms include hitting fences, and caching at 4:30 AM.

There is, reportedly, a Twelve Step Pogram that will help such people. (Not that I'm a fan of Twelve Step Pograms.)

But, since the cache has been destroyed, you have no way of proving that he didnt sign the log, and earn the coveted FTF.

None of it makes much sense to me.

First, at least on the map, it doesn't look like a good (or legal) place for a cache. It looks like private property.

I don't get why someone would hide a cache there.

I sure don't get why someone would defy a representative of the property owner and refuse to leave private property without finding the cache.

There must be more to this.

killme8tj.jpg

Is this the log of the finder?

:D January 24 by XXXX (3750 found)

I found this cache in it's original location early this morning, but was stopped as I left. I signed and replaced it. I hope I'm not the cause for it being offline. Thanks!

Sounds pretty innocent to me. Where are you getting your info that he was behaving poorly?

Edited by Blue Power Ranger
At 4:30 this morning, a well seasoned cacher ( a few thousand finds) was confronted at one of my new caches by security guards. First off, I will admit as I hid the cache, I saw NO security, reason for there to BE security ( still dont), or reason to think it was not in the public right of way, I have found several like it. So cache placement is MY fault, and cache was immediatly archived.

The cacher REFUSED to leave the area after being asked too, until he found the "cache". I get a letter today from some guy in a building nearby that hes destroyed the cache taken from security, and mentioned that the cacher involved was confrontational, thrashing about, and hitting his fence in his attempt to find the cache. All of this in front of security guards.

To think that he could have just left as he was asked to, sent me a mail and I could have archived it without any confrontation.......I am absolutly bewildered by this persons actions! Just what we need!

First off the name of this thread is a personal attack and should be revised.

Now, in defense of you and Nomex the cache appears (google sat) to be placed lawfully on a public right of way.

I have some knowledge of the security field given nearly 20 years of doing and teaching corporate security.

If the cacher in question was touched in ANY way by that Security Officer he was fully within his rights to resist with as much force as needed to back him off. The SO's authority DOES NOT extend to a public sidewalk. If this is what happened and the cacher KNEW his rights, that plus a good lawyer equals PADAY.

I would save calling him an idiot unless you were witness to the action or have watched a tape of the encounter. I'd like to hear from that cacher's point of view too.

Now, in defense of you and Nomex the cache appears (google sat) to be placed lawfully on a public right of way.

I have some knowledge of the security field given nearly 20 years of doing and teaching corporate security.

If the cacher in question was touched in ANY way by that Security Officer he was fully within his rights to resist with as much force as needed to back him off. The SO's authority DOES NOT extend to a public sidewalk. If this is what happened and the cacher KNEW his rights, that plus a good lawyer equals PADAY.

Nothing to do with the situation at hand, but in my opinion, this is what is pretty much stuffing a lot in the world these days, the desire to get rich quick by sueing anyone and everyone at the drop of a hat. And by default, this attitude now pervades beyond the borders of the United States to us here in Australia.

I would save calling him an idiot unless you were witness to the action or have watched a tape of the encounter. I'd like to hear from that cacher's point of view too.

At 4:30 this morning, a well seasoned cacher ( a few thousand finds) was confronted at one of my new caches by security guards. ... ... The cacher REFUSED to leave the area after being asked too, until he found the "cache". I get a letter today from some guy in a building nearby that hes destroyed the cache taken from security, and mentioned that the cacher involved was confrontational, thrashing about, and hitting his fence in his attempt to find the cache. All of this in front of security guards. ... ....

Unless I am missing something, how can you receive a letter on the same day that this incident took place? The USPS doesn't work that fast. Are you making this up? Do you put your address in your caches? How did this "guy" know where to find you?

Even though your time-line does not work, you might want to think twice before calling some one an idiot without having first hand knowledge of what happened.

Edited by Syndam

Looking at the photo I'm not so sure its a public right of way. It appears that it could be on a condo complex's road which would make it private property.

Anyway, if confronted by a security guard while goecaching, I think the best avenue would be to comply and leave. Even if you know for a fact that the cache is on public land, hunting for it while the security guard is watching will surely compromise the cache.

It appears that the finder knew this by the log. I would't call him an idiot, but I'd have to say that he certainly used poor judgement.

Nothing to do with the situation at hand, but in my opinion, this is what is pretty much stuffing a lot in the world these days, the desire to get rich quick by sueing anyone and everyone at the drop of a hat. And by default, this attitude now pervades beyond the borders of the United States to us here in Australia.

My statement was NOT attitude. It was fact. I have to teach this stuff to my officers to save my employers money.

Had it been me. That situation would have had a different outcome, BUT if that S.O. laid hands on me in a public domain. He'd be verrrrry sorry indeed. He'd go to jail for assault and if he detained me without effecting a citizen's arrest he'd be up on charges of false imprisonment. The civil suit would follow against him and his employer. Guaranteed. This ain't play time with a badge. The situation is very serious.

Had I been the S.O., I would have observed until the cacher trespassed and then taken the minimum action necessary. Usually just talking & defining the property line. Once that guy is back on the public sidewalk I would have no cause to act. I don't care if he stood there with his GPS for three days. Public domain is public domain. You call the cops to handle folks that are out of bounds for the property you protect.

That's why I'd like to hear what really went on from that cacher.

Maybe I am a wussy, but even if I know for a fact that I am absolutely right and the owners, neighbors, security or police are in the wrong I am going to be polite, explain myself, and move along when asked to do so.

Ahh, but you are assuming that what was stated by the person in the building is what actually occured. Hence why I was interested in the cacher's take on things.

Personally I prefer to make judgements based on both sides of the story, not some third party interpreation of same .... especially when terms such as "what an idiot" are being used.

Regards

Andrew

Looking at the photo I'm not so sure its a public right of way. It appears that it could be on a condo complex's road which would make it private property.

Doubtful. The road is named and marked on the map. The apt/condo driveways are not. Furthermore, it appears there are city sidewalks all around the surrounding area except in the vacant areas.

Anyway, if confronted by a security guard while goecaching, I think the best avenue would be to comply and leave. Even if you know for a fact that the cache is on public land, hunting for it while the security guard is watching will surely compromise the cache.

That's common sense. However common sense is not very common.

It appears that the finder knew this by the log. I would't call him an idiot, but I'd have to say that he certainly used poor judgement.

I'll save judgement based on what we know so far... That brief log & the OP. I'd really like to hear from that cacher.

Unless I am missing something, how can you receive a letter on the same day that this incident took place? The USPS doesn't work that fast. Are you making this up? Do you put your address in your caches? How did this "guy" know where to find you?

My email address is on all my caches in the log book and most times on the container itself. I assumed that's what was implied.

I found this cache in it's original location early this morning, but was stopped as I left. I signed and replaced it. I hope I'm not the cause for it being offline. Thanks!

Sounds pretty innocent to me. Where are you getting your info that he was behaving poorly?

Do we know for sure this geocacher was the one in question? I've met the cacher who's log is posted and I do not think they would act like the person the OP talked about. Lets not assume they either are or not until someone says it is in fact the same person.

Do we know for sure this geocacher was the one in question? I've met the cacher who's log is posted and I do not think they would act like the person the OP talked about. Lets not assume they either are or not until someone says it is in fact the same person.

I'd say its a pretty good guess that's who she's talking about. Judging by his logs, he seemed to be FTFing all her new caches in the dark.

From another one of her new caches:

January 24 by xxxxxx (3750 found)

This is one well made cache by nutlady. I had fun looking for it in the dark. I signed and replaced it. Thanks!

I'd still like to hear more of the story before judging anyone. My gut feeling is it's being blown way outta proportion, and both the hider and the seeker share some blame here.

Food for thought.

Did anyone happen to notice the cacher's stated occupation?

Hmmmm, could be he knew exactly where he was standing and whether it was public or not. It's just a hunch.

I noticed, but it just says "planner", not "city planner". He might be an event planner, or other type of planner. In King Riched's world he might even be an airline pilot. :D

Here are a couple of things to think about here....

1) The one find log indicates that he was stopped on his way out. It doesn't say that he was acosted during the search. It is quite possible that SOMEONE ELSE came by after him and was confronted during the search and then didn't bother to log the encounter on line.

2) I know the cacher who's having fingers pointed at him and he is not a confrontational person.

As far as him posting here, he is probably traveling and not near his computer. He also does not frequent the forums.

I am please to see that a large number of people are holding off on judgement. What I can't figure out is why this was addressed in the forum in the first place. Surely a private email directly to the cacher in question to clarify what happened would have been a better solution than this!

What I can't figure out is why this was addressed in the forum in the first place. Surely a private email directly to the cacher in question to clarify what happened would have been a better solution than this!

I agree. That use of the subject line "What an idiot" was also not appropriate.

Andrew

I'm curious what was written to the reviewer, because by the Google image it looks like the cache in in the middle of the street.

I'm just surprised that the log wasn't:

"Thank goodness for this cache or I would have never know that this street was here."

All right, let me correct myself by saying that I am the idiot. That was extremely poor judgement that I used and I deserve to be called upon it. I AM sorry. I also never expected folks to actually dig up any info...wow, you guys are good! I was upset because I got a letter "Email" that was pretty clear about my placement, which I was FURTHER an Idiot about, obviously. The arrow in the pic isnt correct, the cache was placed just off a sidewalk next to the big building, which is open to the public. Someone assumed correctly that it was under a loose fence cap, on the back corner.

I will apologize here to everyone here, as well as the cacher personally. I Feel AWFUL that because of my post folks have taken the time to find out who he/she may or may not be. I surely didnt want to point any fingers.

I was, AND remain upset over the language used in that e-mail that was sent to me. Without talking to the cacher I dont know the full story. I have forwarded the mail, however. It wasnt pretty. And besides my stupidity, if the person that sent me the mail felt the situation was so dire its still not good PR.

To answer another persons question, I include a note in each on my caches as to what it is, and how to contact me if there is a problem with the placement.

Once again I apologize, how do I change the name of this thread?

Doubtful. The road is named and marked on the map. The apt/condo driveways are not. Furthermore, it appears there are city sidewalks all around the surrounding area except in the vacant areas.

Don't be so fast with that judgement. Private roads in Washington state are named and numbered, including condo driveways. Complexes get so big they have to have something to go by for the USPS. The difference, is the name plates will have a private road designation on it.

Don't be so fast with that judgement. Private roads in Washington state are named and numbered, including condo driveways. Complexes get so big they have to have something to go by for the USPS. The difference, is the name plates will have a private road designation on it.

You beat me to it. :P Some complexes in California also have named roads.

I can think of one particular private road/Address that is almost a Statement of philosophy in it's name..

ONE Microsoft Way.

Been there several times!

just a couple of points

Q. why mention this in the forums?

A. because the forums are a place for discussion, which is exactly what we have going.

it's often been my observation that the truly more confrontational one in such a situation is more likely to inflate the story.

any chance of pasting the letters text in here? sounds juicy.

don't use your PSP to post in the forums because it takes nearly half an hour to type a message this long.

Okayyyyy. :unsure: The street name is S. Fulgham. If you look just to the North of HWY 198, you'll find N. Fulgham. This is quite common in city road planning. So, what are the odds it's a private road in THIS case? <_<

I can think of one particular private road/Address that is almost a Statement of philosophy in it's name..

ONE Microsoft Way.

Been there several times!

Funny thing is, no matter which street our office was on, we all had the same mailing address! :P

OK, back on topic....

1) The one find log indicates that he was stopped on his way out. It doesn't say that he was acosted during the search. It is quite possible that SOMEONE ELSE came by after him and was confronted during the search and then didn't bother to log the encounter on line.

2) I know the cacher who's having fingers pointed at him and he is not a confrontational person.

As far as him posting here, he is probably traveling and not near his computer. He also does not frequent the forums.

I am please to see that a large number of people are holding off on judgement. What I can't figure out is why this was addressed in the forum in the first place. Surely a private email directly to the cacher in question to clarify what happened would have been a better solution than this!

Frivlas is correct. The cacher in question is a personal friend of mine whom I've cached with many times. He would absolutely not behave confrontationally, and if asked to leave an area, he would do so. I suspect he made the find and put the cache back and was stopped as he was returning to his car, but I've yet to hear from him as he's out of town (obviously).

It is the nature of the cacher to hunt for FTFs, especially out in those areas and especially in the wee hours. It just fits in with his schedule to do so. He very rarely ever posts in forums. I suspect that frivlas' suggestion that it was someone else who is actually in question here as the confrontational cacher, and who chose not to log it.

The person who destroyed the cache and emailed the nasty letter to you is probably off his meds. :P

If my friend wishes to weigh in on this, he will do so. Otherwise, it might be a good idea to lock this thread and let it fade away to avoid any more embarassment to anyone.

Edited by Gitonyerhorse

I considered this , figured I'd wait and see.

Is there another FTF contender in the area that might be a little unstable about missing an FTF opportunity to compete with the rest of the usual FTF suspects? Such is usually a known commodity. <_<:P

Okayyyyy. <_< The street name is S. Fulgham. If you look just to the North of HWY 198, you'll find N. Fulgham. This is quite common in city road planning. So, what are the odds it's a private road in THIS case? :P

I'm willing to bet that it is not a private road. It was around before the apartment complex. It also used to connect to the Highway. In those days of dangerous Highway crossings that some of us can remember...

visalia6bd.png

Besides, probably not a lot of private roads in Visalia in 1969

Hey I don't know what this fuss is all about. I'm not going to reply anonymous, that was me. That story is way off base. I was stopped by a security guard and he asked what I was doing. I showed him my GPSr and web page and told him that I was looking for something. He allowed me to find it. I showed him the contents and he was curious about the sport. He asked about how many there were and if we had to find them all. We talked a few minutes about my work in Fresno. I showed him the instructions and told him if anyone thought this should be removed, to contact the owner. I showed him exactly where it was and put it back. There was no confrontation, he was OK with it. As far as I know he didn't remove it but I am sure he had to report it.

That was about 3am as I drove into Fresno. I have no access to the Internet. I don't even own a cellphone. I, of all people, log as soon as I can, not days later. By the time I got to a wifi access point around 2-3pm, I noticed the cache was offline. I had no time to call the owner.

So from my viewpoint this is a non event. Nothing happened. In my opinion, the owner should have contacted me before just putting a forum topic out.

Hey I don't know what this fuss is all about. I'm not going to reply anonymous, that was me. That story is way off base. I was stopped by a security guard and he asked what I was doing. I showed him my GPSr and web page and told him that I was looking for something. He allowed me to find it. I showed him the contents and he was curious about the sport. He asked about how many there were and if we had to find them all. We talked a few minutes about my work in Fresno. I showed him the instructions and told him if anyone thought this should be removed, to contact the owner. I showed him exactly where it was and put it back. There was no confrontation, he was OK with it. As far as I know he didn't remove it but I am sure he had to report it.

That was about 3am as I drove into Fresno. I have no access to the Internet. I don't even own a cellphone. I, of all people, log as soon as I can, not days later. By the time I got to a wifi access point around 2-3pm, I noticed the cache was offline. I had no time to call the owner.

So from my viewpoint this is a non event. Nothing happened. In my opinion, the owner should have contacted me before just putting a forum topic out.

What kind of security. Apartments have security in Visalia. Is the Central Valley that unsafe?

Yep. This sounds like a clear case of over reaction on the part of the person who sent the email to the OP.

Sounds like a wrap. Unlessss, the OP would like to post the original email that started the whole mess. :P<_< I'd kinda like to see how hard the apartment personnel were willing to be. Given that it was hiddin inside the end cap of a private fence, they are within their rights to remove the cache. If they used rude/foul/threatening language, I'd ram it down ther throats to their parent management company. There's no call for that in the situation outlined by Winini. Posting the text would also help in understanding the motivation for the OP.

Nutlady, everyone, EVERYONE goes off half cocked at times. We all have things that will trigger a reacton rather than a calm response. Sometimes it causes a chainreaction as it did here. Don't be too embarassed by the outcome of this thread. I'd be more embarassed if I had piled on and judged the situation too harshly having no more connection to it than this thread. :ph34r::unsure:

Edited by Snoogans