DNF milestone dilemma

Pay no attention to the cat and the vial of cyanide in the box with you.

"Schrodingers cache" sounds like a good idea, but the superimposition of cyanide is in breach of the contraband guidelines. Besides according to Heisenberg you can never be certain you really found the cache anyway.

I recently created a new account and reloged all our cache finds.

Do I now have to relog all the Did Not Finds?

I think it would be unfair to have to go out and not find all those caches again.

Is there any way that TPTB can just shift the numbers to our new account?

Or do we loose the DNFs and have to start from scratch?

I would ask over in the site forum but I can't find it.

This post is sponsored by the tourism board of the state of confusion.

I stink at this game.

I slipped out of the office a few minutes ago to go get a couple of DNFs on this rainy day. I accidently found both caches I tried for. :unsure:

Wow, and you thought '*"~I~"*' was bringing the sport down. ;)

Maybe at some point mtn-man will bring me to TN and I can give your caches the hind-leg salute. :)

I have an easy solution to the problem of what is a true DNF; we will simply put you and the cache in a box. As long as no one looks inside, you have both found and not found the cache, as far as we know; so every find can be counted as a DNF, and every DNF as a find. Pay no attention to the cat and the vial of cyanide in the box with you.

Can I bring the cake into the box too?

Hmm... I think I'm going to set up a sibling to my DeLorme Challenge cache. Pretty much the same thing, except you need to have a DNF on every page of the atlas. Complete that, and you're eligible to log a DNF for the final.

Although technically, someone could load up a cache from each page in their GPSr, walk out to their car, then change their mind and head back inside and log a DNF on all the caches they didn't find.

Maybe I won't do that after all...

Say I'm looking for a cache - I check under a rock. It's not there. I check behind the tree - not there. I check up in the tree - not there. Technically, I just DNF'ed in three spots.

And what if you check under that same rock a second time? Is that four now, or still three?

If you trip over the rock and subsequently turn it over does that count as a DNF since you weren’t actually looking for it under the rock? And does that count as a cache related injury?

The last question was not made with the malicious intent to derail this thread.

I have an easy solution to the problem of what is a true DNF; we will simply put you and the cache in a box. As long as no one looks inside, you have both found and not found the cache, as far as we know; so every find can be counted as a DNF, and every DNF as a find. Pay no attention to the cat and the vial of cyanide in the box with you.

Only if you share it with the cat.

I'd say that you're a piker! I've reviewed my DNFs. I have 123! 39 of which were archived. 17 of which I have since found. 46 that I've subsequently found. 6 were multiple DNFs. I'm obstinant, but most of the rest were vacation DNFs. Oh, well. When you get to a nice round number like 123 DNFs, then you can start planning the celebration.

I do have a solution for your lack of DNFs. Bring along some film canisters. The next time you DNF, drop the film canisters nearby, and DNF them as well!

This message brought to you by the letters ampersand & ampersand.

And if the cat is alive... and can't find the cake. But then you both have to sign the cake, even if only one of you found it.

But if you don't find the cake, do you get an extra DNF? Is it a pocket DNF?

A pocket DNF? I wouldn't want to eat cake that's been in someone's pocket!

A DNF record: BS.

Until and unless one thing happens any claim to a record is moot: DNF stats must be kept by GC.com. DNFs are about the only stat worth keeping, other than finds of course, but other types of logs haven't been mentioned yet: maintenance, notes & SBAs.

Here's my take on stats, in order of importance:

1: finds.

2: DNFs.

3: owner maintenance.

4: SBAs.

5: needs maintenance.

6: notes.

I'm going to protest any claim of a record for any unpublished stat in a non-violent way: holding my breath until my demands are met.

This post brought to you by the colon:

colon.jpg

Edited by Corp Of Discovery

Yes, but then there are reviewer stats.

7. reviewer notes

8. archive notes

Of course, it is no huge secret that ~erik~ and I are really the only reviewers. I am a few archive notes behind ~erik~ right now. Would you mind if I archive a few of your caches so I can pass him?

Yes, but then there are reviewer stats.

7. reviewer notes

8. archive notes

Of course, it is no huge secret that ~erik~ and I are really the only reviewers. I am a few archive notes behind ~erik~ right now. Would you mind if I archive a few of your caches so I can pass him?

I thought you were Spatacus?!?!? :unsure:

;)

Food is not allowed in caches. But being this is a mathematical based cache, cake will be allowed - remember "pie are not squared, pie are round. Cake are squared."

This message brought to you possibly, but not probably, by the square root of minus 1.

Sadly, all the cat/box/cyanide reference reminds me of is Stargate SG-1. I log most of my DNFs. Usually I'll log them if there's several logs to make at once/I am tired/I really searched hard/I'm on autopilot at the keyboard, but if i was pressed for time/embarrassed at myself for failing/didn't really try/was just hoping for a miracle, I tend to not count it at a true effort and so I don't log it. These are all second attempts by the way, at a cache I already DNF.

This post brought to you by our sponsor, the /. Want more info, call 1.800.///.////, or go to our website, www./.com//

Food is not allowed in caches. But being this is a mathematical based cache, cake will be allowed - remember "pie are not squared, pie are round. Cake are squared."

This message brought to you possibly, but not probably, by the square root of minus 1.

If you bring a two or three layer cake, it can be cubed. Pi simply not allowed!

I don't think it's legal to store cats in caches, either. Maybe. I have sudden, horrible images of a litter box cache.

Edited by Sioneva

If you bring a two or three layer cake, it can be cubed. Pi simply not allowed!

I don't think it's legal to store cats in caches, either. Maybe. I have sudden, horrible images of a litter box cache.

Luckily, the cache-content guidelines are not applicable here, since we are talking about putting me, the cake, some pie, the cat, the cyanide, and the cache in a box. The contraband items are all in the box near, but not in, the cache.

I'm not sure I can, but this comes close-I've DNF'd caches that were archived months earlier because I had stale data. That's right-there was no way I could have found those two-they were no longer there. I finally resorted to the fonafriend who told me the status between fits of giggles.

I proudly posted my DNF's anyway.

I must ask something.

Since it often takes more time to not find a cache than to find a cache, it stands to reason that those of you with impressive DNF numbers must have loads of time available to support your hobby of not finding caches.

So, my question is, how is it that you have so much time available for not finding caches? Are you guys retired, or independently wealthy, or have you figured out a way to make money not finding caches, or what?

I also have a DNF on one of my own events!

Did you manage to actually log a DNF for an event? I tried to do this once (because I accidentally showed up on the wrong day for the event), but a DNF log type wasn't an option. I posted a note instead.

Or were you kidding about the event DNF?

Originally, events had the same log types as regular caches.

Wow. It looks like I have a whole lot of catching up to do. 50 of my 119 posted DNFs have been archived. It's a real shame. I like where I am now. That doesn't happen much here.

Anyway, I'll work on building up my ability to look the other way. I do think that the mail order training course I bought from that one site (www.LepsDNFTrainer.com) will help me out tremendously. I'm so glad they've made their online training log avalable for a low monthly fee. I signed up for the 18 month program but I can't seem to remember the address.

Oh well.

At least my Puppymonster "How To Request an Archive in 6 Painful Steps" course has worked. All 17 resulted in archived caches. I need to get back on that wagon, I think.

(Brought to you by the Coalition of Fake Product Endorsements.)

If you can put a hamster in a cache, surely you can put a cat in a cache.

We need a new guideline prohibiting putting cats and hamsters in caches at the same time.

Found on the net:

"Kittens have nine lives. This makes them ideal for experimentation." :P

If you can put a hamster in a cache, surely you can put a cat in a cache.

Hey, you have to feed the cat somehow...

Isn't that what the cake and pie are for?

I love a thread that makes you think.

The trick is what are you celebrating? 100 DNF LOGS or 100 Caches that you Did Not Find? It makes a difference.

If I were counting my DNF's I'd only count DNF's on caches that I never, ever found. A smilie after a DNF or multiple DNFs on the same cache that I eventually did find would be like double dipping. If a cache only counts once, it's either a Found or a DNF it cant be both without blowing a hole in the time space continuem.

So that's my answer, it's the caches you never, ever found. Somewhere around this forums is a thread on how hard you have to work for a DNF to be a DNF and not just a "gee I thought about caching today but didn't so that's 500 DNFs cause that's what my pocket query was"

Well ThanK Goodness, sOMebody finally getting thiS bAcK on TOpIC!

The trick is what are you celebrating? 100 DNF LOGS or 100 Caches that you Did Not Find? It makes a difference.

iT'S a gooD THINg RK is aroUNd to reGrouND this iN thE OriGINAl queStion. THougH I dIsAgREE wiTH hIS ConClusiON. thE MIleSTonE iS 100 Dnf lOGS. HoWEver MAnY caCHEs thaT maY BE.

thIs PosT broUghT 2 U by RaNDom cApiTalIZatIon

I didn't read the whole thread yet, but has anybody mentioned drive-by-DNFs, these really tick me off. People who don't even get out of the car and they have the nerve to log a DNF!

Do DNFs on archived caches count? What about DNFs when you later found out the cache was not there? To me a DNF must only apply to a cache that actually exists.

(I've *had* it with cheaters)

I didn't read the whole thread yet, but has anybody mentioned drive-by-DNFs, these really tick me off. People who don't even get out of the car and they have the nerve to log a DNF!

Do DNFs on archived caches count? What about DNFs when you later found out the cache was not there? To me a DNF must only apply to a cache that actually exists.

(I've *had* it with cheaters)

Well, what if it is a park-n-grab? If they do everything up to and including parking, the only way to avoid getting a find is to stay in the car! With their eyes closed, of course. Count to twenty, claim a DNF, and drive away. A purist would say that you can't park within ten feet of a cache, because then you would be able to see it as you pulled up, but I disagree. Ten feet is acceptable, as long as you are not actively eyeing the possible hiding spots. Five feet is pushing it, though.

Well ThanK Goodness, sOMebody finally getting thiS bAcK on TOpIC!

iT'S a gooD THINg RK is aroUNd to reGrouND this iN thE OriGINAl queStion. THougH I dIsAgREE wiTH hIS ConClusiON. thE MIleSTonE iS 100 Dnf lOGS. HoWEver MAnY caCHEs thaT maY BE.

thIs PosT broUghT 2 U by RaNDom cApiTalIZatIon

Since logs multiple apply to finds milestones, think I would that apply to DNF's to would.

Tired I am, so dislexia is this post brought to you by (or my cajun accent maybe :P ).