GeoCoin substitutions

GOnTO

I've noticed a new trend of not circulating the actual GeoCoins, but sending out some type of copy. I'm not talking about the copies owners send out after their circulated GeoCoin "disappears", but the ones that are kept by the owner while a copy is sent out.

These are very disappointing to find if you had no idea it wasn't the actual coin. The originals are so awesome to admire. Even My wife who doesn't care for geocaching always enjoys the actual geocoins. Today I discovered two in a cache that were no more than paper photo copies in plastic baggies.

My daughter and I just recently started to go out and try to find these awesome custom coins to enjoy, log with the neat icons, and move along. We only have three of the old gold GeoCoins that we recently launched. The cache that one of our coins was placed in was stolen within a week so it is now in an "unknown location" with 0.0 miles traveled. Despite this we do have several custom GeoCoins on order that we plan to launch when they arrive.

It seems to me that if someone wishes to keep the coin they purchased for their private collection then it should not be registered with a copy/virtual/facsimile/whatever and the coin sent out. Or maybe buy two and launch one, but this would be expensive. We even thought that perhaps GeoCoins should come with a plastic replica (made by the manufacturer) that the owners could send out (sort of have their cake and eat it too), but that would not give the finder the full appreciation of some of these beautiful coins. Imagine the disappointment of cachers who may travel many many miles to retrieve a unique GeoCoin only to find a substitution.

We do not find paper photo copies interesting enough to even retrieve and move along. We're debating if we even want to continue to discover substitutions for the unique icon in our stats.

We don't have a solution only disappointing experiences when we find substitutions. Maybe after we lose a lot of GeoCoins we'll be tempted to do the same, but if everyone does this how boring will it be?

Edited by GOnTO

I am actually torn between.

I do look foward to finding an actual geocoin in a cache someday. Up to today, I have only found one copy of a coin.

I know that I would feel bad if one of my coins were stolen from a cache, so I don't blame the owners for making a copy. I think the copies actually have a better chance of not being stolen and traveling than the original.

If the owner wants to take the chance, great, I look foward to finding one and moving it along. If not, I am happy to move a copy along as well.

But, wouldn't this be a virtual coin? And, isn't that a no-no?

As long as there is an actual 'item' (paper or otherwise) to be found in a cache, and there is only one released at a time, then no it's not a 'virtual'.

Illegal Virtual travelers are ones that the number is provided allowing people to grab and drop it without visiting a cache, or finding the traveler, and usually dropping it into caches the person never visited.

Edited by BlueDeuce

It seems to me that if someone wishes to keep the coin they purchased for their private collection then it should not be registered with a copy/virtual/facsimile/whatever and the coin sent out.

In my opinion, coins make bad travelers. They are difficult to make unattractive to thieves. They aren’t typically designed to have goal/instructions sheet easily attached to them,

And when they are lost/stolen you can’t release a copy without somebody complaining that they didn’t get to the find the original and that owner shouldn’t be allowed to release copies.

Get used to them, I will be releaseing a bunch here soon and the trend is leaning more and more this way. Mine will be wooden replicas with color "copies" adhered to them.

If you don't like it, just leave it. No problem. At a min. of $5 a coin plus shipping, I am not going to supplement someone elses collection.

At the rate these are getting stolen now, don't blame the owners for using this tactic.

Get used to them, I will be releaseing a bunch here soon and the trend is leaning more and more this way. Mine will be wooden replicas with color "copies" adhered to them.

If you don't like it, just leave it. No problem. At a min. of $5 a coin plus shipping, I am not going to supplement someone elses collection.

At the rate these are getting stolen now, don't blame the owners for using this tactic.

\

At least you take the time to make some type of replica. What is with a piece of paper (copy) with a tracking number in a plastic baggie worth?

I will add though when you release a coin do you really expect to get it back? How many TB's have come home after their travels? I know your not releasing it for some selfish piece of crap to keep it, but if we all can't enjoy the original coin what is the point? If you can't afford to share it with others then keep in your private collection. I'd rather see people do that then circulate some worthless piece of paper/whatever with a tracking number.

I would urge geocachers not to move worthless pieces of paper with tracking numbers on it.

P.S. Again I am not talking about reusing a tracking number after a coin comes up missing.

I will add though when you release a coin do you really expect to get it back? How many TB's have come home after their travels? I know your not releasing it for some selfish piece of crap to keep it,

I think people object to placing a coin in a cache then it 'maybe' moves once and is then intentionally stolen. It isn't about getting the coin back, its an honesty issue.

but if we all can't enjoy the original coin what is the point?

You paid for the tracking number might as well get some milage out of it. Otherwise, what's the point of paying for a tracking number if you can't see your coin move from cache to cache? I haven't released a copy of a coin, I don't like it, but I can understand why people are doing it.

And its well within your rights to not move a 'copy coin' if you chose not too, not saying anyone here would but its also not your right to trash a copy coin. That is if you dont own it personally :)

After seeing what some people in my area & 2 other family areas I'm leaning more & more every day to releasing 'copies'. The idea of just sticking a xerox in a baggie wasnt what I was going to do.

Since I already make wooden nicks as sig coins I was going to at least use some blank nicks as the basis for the paper to be attached too.

Couple people have given me ideas on using stickers in their place, I just need to find out if I can do it someplace locally to me.

Like others I'm not going to supplement someone elses hidden collection cause once my real coin disappeared it will be logged as "STOLEN" on the coin page so they can never ever show it to someone. If they want to admire hidden coins more power to them but not with my coins thank you very much.

I will add though when you release a coin do you really expect to get it back? How many TB's have come home after their travels? I know your not releasing it for some selfish piece of crap to keep it,

I think people object to placing a coin in a cache then it 'maybe' moves once and is then intentionally stolen. It isn't about getting the coin back, its an honesty issue.

>>>>>Of course we all object. Again as previously stated "How many TB's have come home after their travels?"

but if we all can't enjoy the original coin what is the point?

You paid for the tracking number might as well get some milage out of it. Otherwise, what's the point of paying for a tracking number if you can't see your coin move from cache to cache? I haven't released a copy of a coin, I don't like it, but I can understand why people are doing it.

>>>>>Again as previously stated "P.S. Again I am not talking about reusing a tracking number after a coin comes up missing.

Just want to see this repeated.

Also, like it or not, you can not control what others do with the travelers they bought. Unless they're doing something that will get the coin locked (replicators, virtual logging), there is no recourse. Demanding others release coins to be stolen is almost laughable :laughing: .

Demanding others release coins to be stolen is almost laughable B) .

I don’t think anyone is “demanding” this.

What I think can almost be demanded though, is this:

If a “coin” is actually a copy, of whatever form, it MUST be labelled as such.

And this must be done in its NAME, not in the fine print on its page.

Whenever this topic comes up I think it is still the case that the majority doesn’t like the copy idea, but most have come accept it, albeit through gritted teeth.

I just don’t understand why, if someone doesn’t want to risk losing a coin, they simply don’t release anything. :wub:

Getting an icon from a copy is like (add your own comparison). :laughing:

Edited by Bunya

Also, like it or not, you can not control what others do with the travelers they bought. Unless they're doing something that will get the coin locked (replicators, virtual logging), there is no recourse. Demanding others release coins to be stolen is almost laughable :laughing: .

Keep 'em, guard 'em, and don't release 'em. That way they will be safe. Oh wait, you may want to place them in a safety deposit box. It's like that private art collection, good for you and no one else.

Perhaps they can come come up with a way to keep the coin and still use the tracking number only it should not be linked to a coin, but rather a regular TB. That way people will not seek out the crap substitutes and owners will still get the use of a tracking number. Problem solved!

Good day to you Sir!

Demanding others release coins to be stolen is almost laughable ;) .

Whenever this topic comes up I think it is still the case that the majority doesn’t like the copy idea, but most have come accept it, albeit through gritted teeth.

I just don’t understand why, if someone doesn’t want to risk losing a coin, they simply don’t release anything. B)

Getting an icon from a copy is like (add you own comparison). :laughing:

VERY WELL SAID!!!! [:wub:]

Keep 'em, guard 'em, and don't release 'em. That way they will be safe. Oh wait, you may want to place them in a safety deposit box. It's like that private art collection, good for you and no one else.

Perhaps they can come come up with a way to keep the coin and still use the tracking number only it should not be linked to a coin, but rather a regular TB. That way people will not seek out the crap substitutes and owners will still get the use of a tracking number. Problem solved!

Good day to you Sir!

You know, maybe you ought to release a few real coins and see how it works out for you.

Strange how people who are the most vociferous about this topic rarely have much of an investment in released coins. Then again, maybe it's not strange at all.

Good day to you Sir!

You know, maybe you ought to release a few real coins and see how it works out for you.

Strange how people who are the most vociferous about this topic rarely have much of an investment in released coins. Then again, maybe it's not strange at all.

Did you not read the first post? Strange how some people will post a reply without getting all the info posted. Ignorance is bliss I guess. :laughing:

Vertigoat

Member Last Visit: Tuesday, October 4, 2006

Geocaches: 0

Trackables: 1(found) (Jan and the Percey Boys Geocoins)

Ah the expert!

Edited by GOnTO

I'm sorry, How many coins to I have to buy to be able to post about them.

Maybe one. Your bio show none. :laughing:

Maybe one. Your bio show none. :laughing:

Okay, sounds fair to me.

Did you not read the first post? Strange how some people will post a reply without getting all the info posted. Ignorance is bliss I guess. :laughing:

Vertigoat

Ah the expert!

Some of us prefer to use sock puppet accounts on the forums so some of the less stable characters on these boards don't send us harassing e-mails or do who-knows-what. I highly recommend the practice. :wub:

Here is an idea we have been kicking around and have approval from Groundspeak. It would have two tracking numbers.

Tracking number 1 - Lost/Stolen Coin

Tracking number 2 - Stolen Geocoin

Geocoin_Thief_Repacement_Coin.jpg

The only problem, we would have to do Pre-Orders since we couldnt engrave a lost/stolen tracking number onto a coin without it being paid for.

Currently has a place for one tracking number. Maybe this will solve the problem for lost coins :laughing:.

Also, like it or not, you can not control what others do with the travelers they bought. Unless they're doing something that will get the coin locked (replicators, virtual logging), there is no recourse. Demanding others release coins to be stolen is almost laughable B) .

I just don’t understand why, if someone doesn’t want to risk losing a coin, they simply don’t release anything. B)

Getting an icon from a copy is like (add your own comparison). ;)

Oh your right noone's 'demanded' it, just during these threads people have said its cheap stupid dumb, and copies should be stolen from circulation. People have requested begged pleaded and whined that copies should have something in the title. As well and many other (rude) things to each other :laughing: .

I'm at the point I its starting to amuse me... It is not possiable to control what someone else does with the coins they bought after they have them. Unless Groundspeak comes out and says releasing a copy is bad and to be stopped it will continue, people need to freakin relax because pointless bickering isn't going anywhere. I think film tubes under the lamp skirts at walmart are the dumbest idea ever, by the common solution given is simply not hunt caches in parking lots. If you don't like copies of coins, then don't hunt them, don't log them :wub: .

I don't understand how people find cause to complain about a traveler they found that wasn't what they expected. Its like people forget that geocaching isn't about finding valuable things in caches, and travelers are not about the item but the adventure it has had. Then they get all ticked off when the special icon TB they found (and I hope move) wasn't the shiney dodad they thought it should be. Finally after that they come here and complain... its just makes me crack up ;) .

If you don't like copies of coins, then don't hunt them, don't log them blink.gif .

See here's the problem, how do we know not to hunt them if we don't know that they are copies when we head out? Hence why the putting it in the title is at least a courtesy that could be extended by the people releasing them.

Here is an idea we have been kicking around and have approval from Groundspeak. It would have two tracking numbers.

The only problem, we would have to do Pre-Orders since we couldnt engrave a lost/stolen tracking number onto a coin without it being paid for.

Currently has a place for one tracking number. Maybe this will solve the problem for lost coins :laughing:.

I don't get it. So....if I buy a coin and it gets lost or stolen, I can then have the number engraved onto this coin? Is that it?

Currently has a place for one tracking number. Maybe this will solve the problem for lost coins :P.

I don't get it. So....if I buy a coin and it gets lost or stolen, I can then have the number engraved onto this coin? Is that it?

That was how I understood it to be. though maybe you get one with its own tracking number, and then one with the tracking number of your 'missing' coin?

maybe some of the various makers could do runs of coins without any numbers, and then we can engrave our missing coin numbers onto them to release as copies? maybe those could also have copy stamped on the outside edge?

If you don't like copies of coins, then don't hunt them, don't log them blink.gif .

See here's the problem, how do we know not to hunt them if we don't know that they are copies when we head out? Hence why the putting it in the title is at least a courtesy that could be extended by the people releasing them.

Do what you do for caches you don't like. Make an guessimate if its what you want or not. If your not sure, then either skip it too, or risk finding one those types you don't like.

Blue Deuce's bio may not show a coin log, but Blue Deuce knows as much about trackables as anyone needs to know, and can answer questions and does answer questions for anyone who has one. He knows what he is talking about. Please remember that whether a person has one find or 1000, one post or 16,000, they still deserve the same respect in these forums. Geocoins grew out of travel bugs and Blue Deuce is as much a travel bug expert as one could meet. Blue Deuce is up to date on all these forum threads, and has read and seen it all. Travel bugs and coins are both trackables.

Maybe one. Your bio show none. :P

I have released copy coins in the past and was thinking about releasing real coins but with this Coin Thief running around my back yard there is no way in the world I can release a real coin without him stealing it. The main reason why I released copy coins in the past as so many of them were making it onto that E-Place stolen, and most all real coins were disappearing after the first few stops in my area. This hasn't happened for awhile in my area until recently with a troll on the loose again stealing coins in my area I can't release anymore real coins until that guy is delt with if ever by GC.com.

Anyway I don't plan on releasing anymore copy coins right now or anytime in the near future, just right now I can't send out real coins at all so I am not sending out any coins right now other than the one that is in my possession (which will have to be placed in a hard cache now and watched closely). I need to place in a cache ASAP because its not mine. I have most all my other coins safe in my coin pages or waiting to be activated to be shared at events or when someone meets me.

Edited by sawblade5

Vertigoat

Ah the expert!

Some of us prefer to use sock puppet accounts on the forums so some of the less stable characters on these boards don't send us harassing e-mails or do who-knows-what. I highly recommend the practice. :laughing:

I don't. :laughing:

In fact, the practice and the consequences of it are clearly defined in the guidelines. In the future, please use your player account or don't post. Other members who read this forum should please abide by the forum guidelines and not by the recommendation of this former user of the forums.

No comments needed... please continue on topic.

I blame owners for using this tactic. It actually encourages theft because it demonstrates to the thief that there's no loss - the owner can just put out a copy and everyone will be happy. It's like posting a billboard on your front lawn about how awesome your home insurance is... you'd just be inviting someone to break in and steal your stuff (seriously!)

I have one copy circulating - it was a copy made by someone else when that person noticed that a stolen coin of mine appeared in the TB graveyard. They resurrected the number and put it out for me. The mission of the copy is to return to me, at which point it will be decomissioned. The "coin" is clearly labelled as such so anyone seeing it on a cache page will know exactly what it is. My other stolen coins get renamed to "*** STOLEN ***" and no copies get released.

Personally, I want to see the real coins, not fake copies. If you're so afraid of losing a coin you shouldn't be releasing them at all. If all you want is to give icons to people, then select a coin, and email its number to 10000 people. That's the same as putting a photocopy out in my books.

Edited by geoSquid

I blame owners for using this tactic. It actually encourages theft because it demonstrates to the thief that there's no loss - the owner can just put out a copy and everyone will be happy. It's like posting a billboard on your front lawn about how awesome your home insurance is... you'd just be inviting someone to break in and steal your stuff (seriously!)

Oh please! Your really going to blame the victim for the crime? Having insurance promotes criminal activity? If there were no speed limit signs, no one would speed? I'm glad you added the seriously, otherwise no one would have know to take it that way.

Personally, I want to see the real coins, not fake copies. If you're so afraid of losing a coin you shouldn't be releasing them at all. If all you want is to give icons to people, then select a coin, and email its number to 10000 people. That's the same as putting a photocopy out in my books.

Your solution is to deprive many who like to hunt the coins either for the icon or some other unknown reason the ability to do so rather than come up with a reasonable comprimise.

Then it's settled. If you find one of my coins, you can show your displeasure and not log it.

Oh please! Your really going to blame the victim for the crime? Having insurance promotes criminal activity? If there were no speed limit signs, no one would speed? I'm glad you added the seriously, otherwise no one would have know to take it that way.

Ok, I'm guessing reading isn't your strong suit, so I highlighted the relevant bit in red.

Yes, if you put a sign on your lawn extolling the virtues of your awesome insurance coverage, I think it is reasonable to say that you will encourage scumbags to some "free shopping" in your living room because they will be sure that you won't suffer any loss. If you can't see how that would be the case, then by all means, try it for a couple months and see what happens.

Your solution is to deprive many who like to hunt the coins either for the icon or some other unknown reason the ability to do so rather than come up with a reasonable comprimise.

Then it's settled. If you find one of my coins, you can show your displeasure and not log it.

Yes, that is my solution. A copy coin is not a reasonable compromise, it is a cheat, a fraud, a nefarious way around the virtual travel bug rule.

I promise never to log your (presumably fake, cheesy copy) coins.

Edited by geoSquid

Yes, if you put a sign on your lawn extolling the virtues of your awesome insurance coverage, I think it is reasonable to say that you will encourage scumbags to some "free shopping" in your living room because they will be sure that you won't suffer any loss. If you can't see how that would be the case, then by all means, try it for a couple months and see what happens.

So if I put up a billboard that says 'i have super home surveillance' it will encourage everyone to break in and steal stuff? :D

I could see maybe some theives would see billboards as a challenge (like if they consider themselves excellent criminals), but to my thinking that would mean coins that taunt thevies by being in 'closely watched' caches should get stolen more often than normal. Especially more than the 'crappy insured' coins in secluded park n grabs, right??

I've put out a couple of Geocoin copies. :D

When I activated the coins I named them a "Clone" in the coin's name so people would know right away it wasn't the actual coin.

One was only out about a week before it went AWOL with a muggled cache.

Now it looks like the other one has met the same fate. :D

I say, "Good riddance!" :D

I've decided to rename the coin page and re-release (or actually "release") the original coins.

Since I released the copies, I have found several coin copies in caches and was sorely disappointed upon finding them. :)

So, I've decided that I will not promote the copies anymore.

Since logging the last copy I logged, I've found 2 more copies. :D

They went right back in the cache and I ignored them.

I seriously gave thought to posting a note on the copied coin's page and say something to the effect of "Sorry, I don't log fake coins!".

But, decided against it, since:

1.) It'd be like the pot calling the kettle black

2.) Everybody plays the game their own way

The way I see it is, If you don't like finding copies... don't log them when you find them!! :)

Sure! It sux to find a copy! (Especially when we think it's a real coin.)

But, if we quit supporting copies with our logs then HOPEFULLY they will eventually go away. :D:)

D-man :o

I guess if you're someone who has a lot of extra money sitting around to throw away on coins that you're not going to get to own for more than a week or so, then releasing the actual coins makes sense.

Personally, when I invest some hard-earned money in a coin, I'm not going to turn around and throw it away by releasing the actual coin and dooming it to almost certain theft within a very short time. Many of the coins we have were bought as "souveneirs" of different caching adventures or memories for us, and we want to still have them years down the road. BUT, we like to share our coins and their icons with other cachers, and we like watching them to see their travels, sooo we release copies.

We've found many real coins, and many copies. Is it nice to get to see the actual coin? Of course! Do we mind finding copies? Not at all! Do we still enjoy seeing the coin as a copy? Yes! Do I fault people for wanting to protect their investments? Nope!

For those that think everyone should only release (throw away) real coins, PLEASE just release $10 bills with TB tags on them instead. The result will be the same...