What are your Events with the most & least attendance?

Snoogans

I love going to geocaching events because geocachers are MY kind of people. :) I've never been to a lame event.

I've attended a few MEGA-events (only one since the NEW mega icon was established) and wayyy more than a few of the other kind.

(hosted) My least attended event was Me, my sister (MtnFrog) and a couple locals, in Mammoth Ca., back in 2003.

I've been to a few more small events where less than a dozen folks have shown. Those smaller one's were great. You really got to know the folks that showed up. B)

(hosted) My most attended event was One Degree of Separation which, if someone had counted heads might have been within a stone's throw of mega event status. My best estimate would be 350 to 400+ and those in attendance would agree. After all, it was the night BEFORE GW4. (BTW-I expected about 150 to 200 tops. When they told me to EXPECT 400+ when I arrived in Dallas, I almost fainted. Soooo glad it was a BYO event.)

The largest events I've ever attended were GeoWoodstocks 3 & 4.

I host events as often as my schedule will allow and I can usually count on 40+ in attendance (here in Houston) for the last year & a half.

40-50+ seems to be the average size of an event these days and I've attended events 5 states. Does the same hold true in your area?

What are the largest and smallest events you have hosted/attended?

Smallest one I hosted was 7 people including myself -- it started at 7:30 am so I didn't expect a big turnout -- but to me it was one of the best as I met 3 cachers in the area that I had never met before! Now they come to larger events and we are still great friends.

I've hosted a CITO and 2 other events where there were about 20-30 people involved. Had a great time at all of them.

I've been to both Mega-events this year (GW4 & MWGB), as well as GW2 & GW3, as well as numerous other geocaching events that were much smaller. Doesn't matter to me the size, I have always met some interesting individuals who have become my friends and had a great time.

:angry: What else can you expect when geocachers are involved!! :ph34r:

Completely off topic, but Snoogans' avatar and signature made me :angry: .

Is that wrong?

I think most events around these parts are in the 25-40 person range, but I don't think I've ever counted. Sure I could go back and look, but that would take 1-2 minutes of precious time that I could be posting in other threads.

Completely off topic, but Snoogans' avatar and signature made me :angry: .

Is that wrong?

Not at all. I think Steve-O himself would not want people to lose their sense of humor over his death.

I can just picture him tellin' that stingray, "You're a little rippa you are," before catching that golden barb to the heart.

I enjoyed his antics and the whole world is gonna miss him. :ph34r:

I think we will have 3

First in Thailand

Well, one of 'em is a crazy German. :P

I think he's bringing at least one of my ODS caches there for you guys to hide too.

Could youplease elucidate both these comments..should I cancel ???

:angry::P

Why would you offer to cancel an event over a forum comment???

Darth_Maul is a friend of mine and one of a team I call "The Crazy Germans."

I think he is bringing an ODS cache to the event in hopes that someone there will hide it as part of my project.

Take a look at this profile. Notice where it states, "Coming soon: Thailand" :angry:

The project forum can be accessed from the link in my sig line for this post.

Edited by Snoogans

I have hosted 1 event and attended several others. Of the ones I have attended 2 are yearly events. Our local dinner has gotten about 35 individual caching names totaling about 90-100 people at the event. Our fall event, Burning Micro and Burning Micro II have averaged 35 caching groups totaling about 100 peope at the first, and the second one this weekend is expecting well over 100 people.

I hosted an event at a snow tubing park, Trigo's Totally Tubular Tailgaiting Time, which had 43 different caching names totaling about 85-90 people. Not bad for a rainy night in January. Hopefully the weather will be better this year and will be even larger. Guess I will have to start preparing the yellow snow for the Yellow Snow Eating Contest. It was a blast last year for the kids.

Cool thread.

I think we will have 3

First in Thailand

Well, one of 'em is a crazy German. :P

I think he's bringing at least one of my ODS caches there for you guys to hide too.

:angry::angry:

Why would you offer to cancel an event over a forum comment???

Darth_Maul is a friend of mine and one of a team I call "The Crazy Germans."

I think he is bringing an ODS cache to the event in hopes that someone there will hide it as part of my project.

Take a look at this profile. Notice where it states, "Coming soon: Thailand" :P

The project forum can be accessed from the link in my sig line for this post.

I'm sorry I didn't know how to add the appropriate emoticon for "tongue in the cheek"

I would NEVER be cancelled. whatever

I'd say most events here in northern NJ draw between 30-60 people. Restaurant/pub type get togethers on the lower end and outdoor picnics on the higher end. The G.O.N.E. event I think drew about 130 over a weekend this year despite the lousy weather. Last year it was something like 160 and we were hoping to double that but mother nature didn't cooperate.

I'd say most events here in northern NJ draw between 30-60 people. Restaurant/pub type get togethers on the lower end and outdoor picnics on the higher end. The G.O.N.E. event I think drew about 130 over a weekend this year despite the lousy weather. Last year it was something like 160 and we were hoping to double that but mother nature didn't cooperate.

We've hosted 6 events so far.

The smallest event we've hosted had about 40 show up. That was also our first.

Our largest had around 250.

Our latest had about 125.

This year's event range has been from about 8 to nearly 800 for events I organized. I would guess that the average Midwest Event has 50 attendees. Activity events tend to draw in larger crowds. Monthly events tend toward smaller groups. Remote events are just intimate in a family friendly sort of way.

Why do you ask?

Here in Greece, we have made three official geocaching meetings.

At the first, we were three geocachers ! ! !

At the second, we were four !

And at the most recent, we were about 8 geocachers !

We become more and more ! ha ha ha ha ha ha!

But out there, you have lots of people at the meetings...

All the best from Athens !

Here in Greece, we have made three official geocaching meetings.

At the first, we were three geocachers ! ! !

At the second, we were four !

And at the most recent, we were about 8 geocachers !

We become more and more ! ha ha ha ha ha ha!

But out there, you have lots of people at the meetings...

All the best from Athens !

Personally, I would reeeeally like to attend one of your events. :tired:

The Snoogstress & I plan to do some European travel and Greece is on the list of places we want to go.

Who knows, maybe some day..... :laughing:

Why do you ask?

Just curious.....

40-50+ seems to be the average size of an event these days and I've attended events 5 states. Does the same hold true in your area?

For me, from Houston to Colorado Springs to Sacramento in the past year and a few months the average attendance at geocaching events has been stable at about 50+. A year before that it was maybe one third that number on average.

Geocaching isn't "mainstream" but we're growing closer every year. We are certainly no longer on the fringe of public knowledge/awareness of our sport/hobby/activity/obsession. Noobs made up 1/4 to 1/3 of my last event.

Well, heck, I could tell it was a joke, and I thought it was a good one. :laughing:<_<

Being new to geocaching, I haven't attended an event yet, although I plan to go to one in October. With full apologies for the newbie question, what sort of things do you usually do at events? The earlier mention of a breakfast cookout sounds superb.

I attended my first event, which was a meet-n-greet kindof thing, and a coin discovery. It was nice, there seemed to be a lot of folks from out of the area there. I think 40 or so names.

I just went to my second (and the org's second, I think) event, and it was not only a blast, but I got to pin some more faces with names...

If I remember correctly, there were 20-25 cachers, some with extra small-people along...we had a raffle run followed by some "most excellent BBQ'd dogs" and coin discovery.

I can't wait for the next one...

Edited by Zzyzx Road

I hosted 2 events in the Netherlands called IRC Geocaching Poffertjes event. In 2005 200 geocachers attended the event and in 2006 it became more succesfull even, we had somewhat over 360 geocachers attending. Its a great fun to see the people having fun at the event and we hope to reach for 500 attenders in 2007. We would especially like to have more geocachers from all over the world at the specific event so that maybe one day it woud become one of the major events in geocacheland.

Greetz Kapitein Haak.

Out of the 45 events I have hosted/attended the largest have been the geowoodstocks #'s 2, 3, & 4.

Not counting those three, the largest event I have attended was the First Annual NCGO Fall Fling with about 250 attending. The smallest, or should I say most intimate was probably the CHB's in Jackson County event that was thrown to welcome us last fall. I think there were 12 of us at that table.

Around here the average social event draws 40-100 attendees depending on time of the year.