GPSr Envy?

I set out caching this morning with my trusty old Garmin GPS 12 in it's waterproof pouch - everytime it banged against me on the end of it's lanyard it switched itself off - I must have turned the pesky thing back on about a dozen times by the time I got to the cache. <_<

It set me to thinking about some of the cachers I've met recently and the way I jealously eyed their swanky modern receivers - are you saddled with a clunky old unit? Do you ever suffer from GPSr envy? :blink::)

And don't start me off on paperless cachers! :laughing:

IVE GOT A YELLOW ETREX AND HAVE LOOKED AT OTHERS WITH ENVY AND THOUGHT THERES ARE A LOT BETTER THEN MINE AND THEN I THOUGHT WHY AM I WORRYING MINE HAS NEVER LET ME DOWN SO HAS LONG HAS YOURS GETS YOU TO THE CACHE DONT WORRY.

Yes I started out with a Geko. If it wasnt for a bit of luck on eBay I wouldnt have the CSx :laughing: . must admit though its the dogs for finding caches under tree cover <_<

I set out caching this morning with my trusty old Garmin GPS 12 in it's waterproof pouch - everytime it banged against me on the end of it's lanyard it switched itself off - I must have turned the pesky thing back on about a dozen times by the time I got to the cache. :blink:

It set me to thinking about some of the cachers I've met recently and the way I jealously eyed their swanky modern receivers - are you saddled with a clunky old unit? Do you ever suffer from GPSr envy? :laughing::)

And don't start me off on paperless cachers! <_<

We've got a Cobra - anyone even heard of them? Got it off ebay (cheap) in case we didn't take to caching. Sometimes takes AGES to get a fix, sometimes display locks without warning and you have to open it up and jiggle the batteries to get it going again (losing any waypoints entered during ther session). It has no pc connectivity whatsoever and struggles to get better than 30' 'accuracy' even under a cloudless sky. But would we swap it ?? You bet your life we would!

I have an ancient Magellan 320 I bought at a jumble sale. It is very good and does the job - but having seen the SIRF III chipset at work on my TomTom One I would love to buy a device like my 320, but with the more sensative chip so I could get better fixes with no sky in view. For some reason, SIRF III appears in the cheapest sat nav devices, but only the most expensive handhelds.

Before somone says "buy a PDA with SIRF III" I would like my SIRF III handheld to be as durable as my 320 - impact proof, waterproof, floating, and powered from easily obtainable AA batteries.

I bought a Holox BT321 Bluetooth GPS on Ebay.

The size of a match box, works indoors and in the car and sends the NMEA data to a Palm Tungsten T running Cachemate and Cachenav. Put the GPS in a pocket and forget about it.

Great combination, very sensitive and a possible 32 available channels.

Seems daft to spend loads of money on a flash GPS unit.

Also works well with Tomtom Navigator 5 or Memory map OS-5with a HP IPAQ.

Actually the Ordnance survey Memory Map 5 with 1:25000 maps is really excellent with an IPAQ.

Yesterday we found ways of getting across Dartmoor we would not have found any other way.

Edited by windrush

I set out caching this morning with my trusty old Garmin GPS 12 in it's waterproof pouch - everytime it banged against me on the end of it's lanyard it switched itself off - I must have turned the pesky thing back on about a dozen times by the time I got to the cache. :laughing:

It set me to thinking about some of the cachers I've met recently and the way I jealously eyed their swanky modern receivers - are you saddled with a clunky old unit? Do you ever suffer from GPSr envy? :laughing::laughing:

And don't start me off on paperless cachers! <_<

I have a rather less exciting solution as I had this problem with my GPS12 when I was out recently. Just clean the battery terminals and it should sort it out. I found that there was a bit of corrosion on each end of the batteries I was using, and the slight disruption caused by tapping the GPS was enough to interrupt the supply and turn it off. Once I had cleaned the terminals it stayed on no matter how hard I tapped it.

I set out caching this morning with my trusty old Garmin GPS 12 in it's waterproof pouch - everytime it banged against me on the end of it's lanyard it switched itself off - I must have turned the pesky thing back on about a dozen times by the time I got to the cache. :P

It set me to thinking about some of the cachers I've met recently and the way I jealously eyed their swanky modern receivers - are you saddled with a clunky old unit? Do you ever suffer from GPSr envy? :laughing::P

And don't start me off on paperless cachers! :laughing:

I know who your jealous of nah <_<:laughing:

This is the trouble with gadgets and those who love them. every time you buy one that you think is good you know there are another few that if you dig deeper you can get.

My advice is buy what can you afford at the time then keep putting the pennies away for the next one plus the potential to sell on your old one and upgrade.

which seamlessly links me too i have 1 of those holox bt321 lying around the house now. works really well but i changed phone and could not get any GPS software so had to order a handheld etrex legend. so if anyone wants a Bluetooth holox bt321 or a brand new not used etrex legend contact me.

As for me i just want a simple handheld device which keeps a fix in all conditions and under trees in full foliage(which there are lots of in summer).

This is the trouble with gadgets and those who love them. every time you buy one that you think is good you know there are another few that if you dig deeper you can get.

My advice is buy what can you afford at the time then keep putting the pennies away for the next one plus the potential to sell on your old one and upgrade.

which seamlessly links me too i have 1 of those holox bt321 lying around the house now. works really well but i changed phone and could not get any GPS software so had to order a handheld etrex legend. so if anyone wants a Bluetooth holox bt321 or a brand new not used etrex legend contact me.

As for me i just want a simple handheld device which keeps a fix in all conditions and under trees in full foliage(which there are lots of in summer).

Do you still have either of these for sale? and if so how much do you want for it/them.

I set out caching this morning with my trusty old Garmin GPS 12 in it's waterproof pouch - everytime it banged against me on the end of it's lanyard it switched itself off - I must have turned the pesky thing back on about a dozen times by the time I got to the cache. :huh:

It set me to thinking about some of the cachers I've met recently and the way I jealously eyed their swanky modern receivers - are you saddled with a clunky old unit? Do you ever suffer from GPSr envy? :):)

And don't start me off on paperless cachers! :P

GPSr Garmin 60csx with mapping and contours.

PDA Mio 520 with MioMap v2, Cachemate and Memory Map

what's envy ? :)

Like one of these you mean :tired:

65_2.JPG

Making me envious - I lent mine to my boss to try out geocaching whilst on hols with his son. I'm seriously suffering withdrawal right now and won't get it back for another 11 days. Add to that the fact that the CF GPS in my PDA has just gone toes up, I'm blind as well :anitongue:

I'm very much a gadget man. In the space of 5 years I now have 4 gpsr's.

Started with a Garmin III+ which i've had since SA was still around.

Next was a 'clip-on' bluetooth GPS for use in the car with tomtom on the PDA

Then bought a (hot) 60cs off ebay as I wanted EGNOS

Lastly a 60csx and TOPO mapping as I wanted the MicroSD slot.

All but the 60csx are stuffed in a drawer gathering dust.

I've either got too much money (that the wife doesn't know about) or am a sucker to a sales pitch.

LOL...Garmin 60CSx with UK Topo loaded on 1Gb card, TomTom 910 and Palm Tungsten 2 with cachemate and Fugawi - what more does any self respecting cacher need :tired:

Seriously though - it works for us - other things work for other people. Envy is not a nice thing :anitongue:

GPSr Garmin 60csx with mapping and contours.

PDA Mio 520 with MioMap v2, Cachemate and Memory Map

what's envy ? :huh:

Edited by The Bolas Heathens