Head Cover - Best All Around

I have 4 or 5 hats in the back of the jeep that I will use while out caching. Just to keep the sun off and one for cold weather. Mostly ball caps of various description. What kind of all purpose - all weather hat do you carry?? Pictures?? I'm looking for a better newer one for geocaching use.

I wear a baseball hat about 95 percent of the time, usually with some ski area logo on it. If it rains, I have an old LL Bean Allagash hat. One of those Aussie style hats. Its losing its waterproofness after many, many years of use so my next rainy weather hat will be one of these (the OR Seattle Sombrero):

00493_l.jpg

One of the best hats I used to have was similar to a ball cap but it had flaps to cover the ears and neck. You could soak it in the creek and cool off fairly well or just keep your neck and ears from burning.

zf005fl-navy_1122361578.JPG

Variations of these work fairly well in that you cna smash them up and have them when you need them.

crush-hats.jpg

Most of the time I Have a ball cap but they really are not good hats. Just easy to find.

Folks, with the sole exception of the times when I am wearing a safety helmet while climbing or spelunking, I always wear only one piece of headgear, and I never leave it home. It is the AFDB, the Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie,

afdbhead.jpg

and I swear by these caps -- they block 100% of those pesky alien mind control commands from the alien gray mother ships and even block those mind control scalar signals which are superimposed on the RF carrier wave of signals from commercial FM radio transmitters. And, these caps even block the secret radiations from the nephilim as they try to program the people of the earth for the upcoming End Times, aka the End of the Ages (i.e., the day when Lame Micro Spew overwhelms over the planet, drowning the biosphere in Lame Micro Spew End-point Proliferative Inundation and obliterating all life on Earth.)

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

My favorite caching hats are super cheap (free!) pro-football caps that I got from soda company promotions. Over the past years some friends and I picked up tons of soda caps after Husker football games and turned them in for many hats. They are super lightweight (read cheap). I like that because the light fabric doesn't make my forehead sweat much and it also sucks up the sweat instead! Yet, they shade my face, so they serve their purpose. Plus they mean so little to me that I don't care how dirty they get!

Edited by carleenp

If you do not own a Tilley - you do not own a hat. Period.

I started wearing my crushable leather hat last fall, see my profile photo if you care. It was wonderful except for the coldest part of the winter, but come summer, it was just too hot.

So I went hat shopping, gasped at the Tilly price, but bought one.

So far so good. It only fails at one thing the leather hat was great at. When you just gotta put your head down and push through the brush, the stiffer brim helped. The Tilly just seems a little limp.

And what's with that foam piece in the top anyways? I see it gives it shape, but is this hat truely crushable?

I wore it at my son's graduation today. I won't say it kept me cool but I seemed to be cooler than the hatless around me!

Paul

I use one of a number of hat depending on the weather and my mood.

A couple of straw hats in different shapes for the sun, assorted baseball hats, mao caps in several colors, bucket hats for light rain.

And earlier today, I ordered a straw pith helmet. Woohoo!

I'm tempted to sell mine because I bought the wrong size! I hadn't read the manual or the web site, I just tried them on at the store.

It is a beige T3 model, size 7 1/4. It isn't tight on my head but there is no way I can put the "two fingers flat between the hat my forehead." I figure I should get a proper one, but at the price, one doesn't buy two!

So if anybody is interested, drop me a line. My Tilly is only 2 weeks old.

Paul

Sunday Afternoons has some GREAT sun hats -- the one Dave is wearing in our profile picture. They are lightweight and have a long tail in the back to keep the sun off your neck.

Read the description. Its synthetic. I really cant breathe in synthetic.

Silly you. You wear the thing on your head, not over your face!

As far as the Tilley hats, I've looked at them and seriously considered getting one, but because it would chiefly be used in heavy rain, I was concerned about the large ventilation holes on the models that I liked. After reading a few reviews where owners (who were otherwise very pleased with the hat) confirmed that they are an issue in heavy rain, I set my sights on the Seattle Sombrero.

I like my Tilley but I have 2 issues. First, in a heavy downpour you'll get wet through the vent holes. I have a Columbia Omnitech hat for the heavy rain days. Secondly, if the temps are going to be over 90 and you're planning for heavy activity, the Tilley can be a bit warm. That's when I pull out the Army/Navy store boonie. It's a lot thinner and lighter. And for $10 I don't care if it becomes a sweat stained mess.

I have been using my Tilly hat for about 3 years now. I have owned lots of hats over the years but not one has come close to a Tilly for quality or function.

I do not use my Tilly for rain cover, I have a Gortex Jacker with a hood for that.

According to Tilly, once a Tilly develops a stain from persperation it cannot be removed, this is not the case I am happy to report for my fellow tilly users. My hat had a very bad stain. Well I got rid of the stain using Oxi Clean. I just followed the directions and within seconds the stain was gone. See photo, before I cleaned that hat the 1 inch band above the rimm of the hat was a very dark gray/brown shade. the last time I cleaned the hat was 5 weeks ago. There is a new stain devloping now, so it will be back to the Oxi Clean again when needed.

eea0cb70-1176-4e56-b70b-65cb72b47d80.jpg

Edited by JohnnyVegas

The Tilly shown that was stained appears to be one of the Nylantium models. As a synthetic they are far superior to the original canvas Tillys as far as ability to withstand staining. I presently have two Tilly hats - an original canvas model and one of the Nylantium constructed models, for summer wear. Yes, they are expensive, but with moderate care ( read: wash them once in a while) they will likely last a lifetime. I can't say that any of the advertising claims are anything but true. That foam thingy will keep the hat (but not the wearer afloat in anything but violent seas. And given the fairly free-form shape, yes they are completely crushable. My family always claimed that I was going to become a "character" when I got older, only I proved them wrong - I didn't wait to grow up (and may never do so)- I'm already a "character" and a Tilley hat, worn on a year round basis is just one of my identiying features.

Get yourself a catalog and look through it. I also own some other Tilley clothes, and they travel very well, feel great, and are darned near indestructible.

Bag o'Tricks

My younger brother has a Tilley hat, but he has gone BALD. And this old goat doesn't want to find out if it was the Tilley Hat, I can still use a comb.

Actually my favorite back country hat is made by a company from Denver. And the major reason I purchased the hat about 5 years ago was the claim for UV protection. After all CO is not lacking in UV's due to our altitude. The hat is known as the Nordic Gear Venture Hat. I wear it almost year round, my kids call it the Tahosa Hat. In the winter I'll use a helmet liner for a wee bit of extra warmth and its quite cool in the summer also.

7048e0a6-f288-456a-8e46-95032f4c17d5.jpg

And the other most functional hat I have is a insulated ball cap, excellent in the winter and cooler times of spring and fall here in CO.

One thing I dislike about hats is the name of the hat attached to the hat, hell are they paying me to advertise their product.

Okay, now the Tilley is on my list of must have items. I think I'm going to get one next week. Since I'm fair skinned, a hat is a must and while baseball caps are fine, they just don't protect the neck and ears.

I've also got my eye on the Vest of Many Pockets. :blink:

-----

Kevin Harris is the owner of CachingAdventures.com

a website for the geocaching community with

blogs, articles, and forums.

Edited by teamharris

Actually my favorite back country hat is made by a company from Denver. And the major reason I purchased the hat about 5 years ago was the claim for UV protection. After all CO is not lacking in UV's due to our altitude. The hat is known as the Nordic Gear Venture Hat.

What is the name of the company in Denver? Thanks in advance.

:laughing: Before you fork out that kind of cash for head gear, just remember... It's a Hat. Stop by your nearest Military Surplus and try on a Boonie hat, It appears to be the same basic bucket design as the Tilley, and there are hundreds of thousands of product testers out there today. I myself have worn one and once you get the right size it's pretty hard to beat. Just a thought. You can pick them up for less than $20 and I've seen them for $10. :tired:

military-boonie-hat-digital.jpg

I would like to add a testimonial to the sturdiness of the official Groundspeak cap although its protective qualities are a bit lacking.. Recently I ducked under a branch across a trail and a sharp snag I failed to notice struck the top of my capped head. I yelped, sat down, cried, and when I pulled my hand away from the top of my head I discovered I was bleeding strongly. :laughing: We stanced the blood with my husband's handkerchief, which I stuffed under the cap, and continued on to find the cache.

Later, back at the campground, having examined the two inch gash in my scalp and decided it didn't need stitches I took a look at the cap and was surprised to see that it wasn't ripped at all. The snag had done its damage through the fabric. I managed to wash out a lot of the blood stain but you can still see it.

800055a5-1c45-466a-834c-84740aadb336.jpg

If I am out for several days I use a bandana. For one, it keeps my hair from blowing in my face. For another after a couple of days of not washing it (in the back country) I certainly don't want anyone to see it! This bandana is from a geocaching couple from Japan. I showed them around a bit when they came to Alaska.

Summit.jpg

Edited by 1stimestar

I don't have a pic but I wear a tan civilian-made boonie. I like it better than ball-caps, keeps the sun off all the way around.

I'll second all the suggestions for the "boonie". I bought it for use while competing in shooting sports because you could wear ear protection over it. I also handle a camera a lot and found in a ball cap the bill got in the way.

The boonie just functions well, is completeley crushable, washable, dryable... oh yes, and CHEAP!

The Tilley's do look nice though.

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

I'm currently after one of these:

GEO2108sq.jpg

or one of these:

cap.jpg

or even one of these reflective ones:

georeflectivecaplge.jpg

Which have all been sadly discontinued which is a big shame, especially the first one :laughing:

Anyone got one a new one left collecting dust they dont mind selling via Paypal and sending to the UK?