A Big Thanks!

I'd just like to say a big thank to all those at Geochat who have wished me well for my deployment to Iraq, especially to Liane and Helen, who came to wish me well at Brize last night (at very short notice), and watched me get rather drunk!

You may well be pleased to know that I'm currently sitting in the departure lounge at RAF Brize Norton with a crackin' hangover!

Hopefully I can stay in touch on Geochat while I'm away, but if not I'll sent out an email every now and again.

Once again, a massssssssssive thanks for all your support.

See you all in the summer,

Ratty

(Steve-o)

Good luck!! Remember to pack your GPS, there are a few caches to be found out there.

But on a more practical note, if you find yourself out and about keep it switched on with it set to the Iraq grid system. If you come into Contact you won't be flapping about trying to read your map for a grid reference, you will just be able to read it straight off the GPS.

Lets hope you don't come into contact though!!

Liane and Helen, who came to wish me well at Brize last night (at very short notice), and watched me get rather drunk!

We did .... and he was .... here's photographic evidence!! (He's far enough way now that he can't whack me for it)

:wub::):laughing:

ratty4.jpg

Who's the bloke on the Geochatters Rogues Gallery then? hehe

Many thanks for all your support. You'll be pleased to know that I arrived safely in theatre VERY early this morning.

As for Liane, be afraid, very afraid. I'm only here for a couple of months... just you wait 'till Manx. And how did you find the time in your busy schedual to make me look so bad? That must have taken some time with Photoshop! And I'm sure there is a better picture of me on that camera somewhere...

I'll stay in touch chaps,

HaPpY cAcHiNg!

Ratty

Well the firewall on the British internet system strictly forbids IRC server access, which is a bummer. They quite happily allow msn messenger and chat sites like Yahoo though. Odd people.

So, if it's OK with you lot, I'll post an occasional note here for you all. Anyone wishing to carry out the ritual abuse that I have come to expect from some people (Liane) may also carry this out here!

Maybe my next destination will allow me to use IRC!

Laters,

Ratty

P.S. If you wanna see the OTHER photos that Liane decided not to share with us, check em out here http://www.watersidedrive.freeserve.co.uk/ratty.htm

Nice!

Edited by Critical Mass Inc.

Well the firewall on the British internet system strictly forbids IRC server access, which is a bummer. They quite happily allow msn messenger and chat sites like Yahoo though. Odd people.

I take it this means you can't access GC.com whilst you are out there? How are you going to manage to do the caches that are in any of the bases that you may visit? Should you just hang up the GPS until you come back? Well I may have the solution for you?

If the computers access is anything like it was whilst I was in Afghanistan then you can't print off cache instructions that someone may want to email you? So you have two options get someone back home to print the cache pages and post them out, but that will take ages for you to recieve them.

So how about getting someone to cut and paste the instructions into an e-bluey and get them to send it to you. If your post office is good you could have the instructions within the matter of minutes to a few hours. Voila fast and effective printing of cache instructions when you can't access the site or a printer!!

If the person sending the information to you has access to your account? You can send back a typed log within an email and they can cut & paste it for you onto the cache log?

I hope that helps. :)^_^

Edit: P.S. Anyone that has Ratty's contact details can send him emails through the e-bluey system. He will receive the email in a typed letter form. For anyone that has been on tour they will know that getting mail in the written form is such a moral booster. Although I liked getting emails, I prefered the e-bluey and plain bluey system. Even better is getting a parcel. ^_^

Edited by Haggis Hunter

I take it this means you can't access GC.com whilst you are out there?

No HH, I think is is just GeoChat Ratty can't get onto - I'm investigating another way which may be available to him - it's an addiction don't you know.

The Hokesters

is just GeoChat Ratty can't get onto - I'm investigating another way which may be available to him

Cheers for the efforts dude!

Also, those who want to send me a bluey, ebluey or maybe a parcel (I'm clutching at straws here, maybe assuming that I have more friends than I really do), send me an email through my profile and I'll wirte back with my postal address.

CHEERS PEEPS!

Ratty

Chaps,

Just to let you know that everything here is OK. It's bloomin hot though! Only 42 days to go... Wohooooo!

Liane has my address here if anyone wants to log onto the eBluey website and send me some mail!

I've really wanted to see if there are any caches to do here, but without typing my current co-ords in, there's really no way of finding out. And being the nature of my work (SSSHHhhhhhhhh) it would be a pretty serious breach of operational security to start inputting my location into a web page. Oh well!

Later all!

Edited by Critical Mass Inc.

Hi all. Just letting you know that I'm OK. However, I have only managed the pool twice this week! Many thanks to Liane, Hokes, Helen, Rutson and TDW for your blueys. We do have some luxuries here, but being away from your family, and your friends (as I know some of you are more than aware) is really hard, even for only a couple of months. Getting your letters was a much needed morale boost and put a big cheesy grin on my face!

It'll be great to catch up with you all again soon.

Take care all, and happy caching!

Ratty

P.S. Liane - I can't find your bluey so I have no reply address. Please send me another ebluey with the words 'You crazy a** fool' as the content and I'll write back. Oh, and say hello to the rest of your clan for me!

OK, who edited my post? There's me thinking the word 'a**' was indeed a donkey and therefor perfectly acceptable language for the Groundspeak forum. Is this not a little pedantic?

The filters aren't that flexible so it looks like we'll have to put up with it, you can't even use dadgum which I don't see as being offensive.

Edited by wizard1974uk

As has been said, there are some filters on the Groundspeak forums which are designed to catch words that might "offend". Unfortunately these words are all American so anything in English that means something else in that language gets caught :lol::tired:

So while you can't say "That dadgum a** is eating the carrots", you can slightly edit to say "That damned a.ss is eating the carrots" :tired:

Interestingly it's probably OK to say "You silly arse" whereas you couldn't say "You look like an a**"!!!

Edited by Lactodorum

As has been said, there are some filters on the Groundspeak forums which are designed to catch words that might "offend". Unfortunately these words are all American so anything in English that means something else in that language gets caught :lol::(

So while you can't say "That dadgum a** is eating the carrots", you can slightly edit to say "That damned a.ss is eating the carrots" :lol:

Interestingly it's probably OK to say "You silly arse" whereas you couldn't say "You look like an a**"!!!

:tired: Should you really be swearing and showing us how to bypass the language filters?!

What kind of standard are you setting as a moderator of theses dadgum forums? :tired:

Oh, and good luck on your posting, critical mass inc.!