Pb Jar Caches And Nut Allergies

ScurvyDawgs

Peanut allergies have become more prevalint over the past few years. I know when I was growing up I was one of the few with the allergy, and for me it is only if I actually eat them does it cause a problem (although I'm really wierd and can eat creamy PB, so whatever I'm allergic too is removed in the processing of mass market PB :o ) There are now children with such severe allergies that they can have a major reaction by sitting at a table where someone had peanuts earlier, so saftey is a factor.

Personally, I would not put up anything saying "warning, it's a used PB container in case you have allergies" because it just seems, as others have said, that you haven't washed it enough. However, I would post a note in the description just stating that "cache is in a camo'd Peanut Butter jar" or something to that effect. That would be enough that anyone with a severe allergy would see and avoid, but isn't worded so that everyone becomes alarmed.

Just my thoughts.

Celticwulf

Not a doctor, just a chemist.

Yes, the allergic reaction can occur through handling contaminated items. Usually this involved subsequent touching of the mucus membranes (eyes, nose, throat).

Plastic jars are generally made of PET. All you wanted to know about PET can be found here: http://www.napcor.com/

I have also noticed the smell in the jars staying there for long periods of time.

Hope that helps.

4HoundsBrewingCo

a Peanut Butter Jar (well washed)

How well washed? Running it through the dishwasher, or scrubbing it with a foam pad likely isn't good enough. Animals will chew it up in no time.

As SBell suggested, scrub and soak the jar in bleach, and after that it might not smell enough to attract hungry critters.

Jamie

How well washed? Running it through the dishwasher, or scrubbing it with a foam pad likely isn't good enough. Animals will chew it up in no time.

As SBell suggested, scrub and soak the jar in bleach, and after that it might not smell enough to attract hungry critters.

Jamie

I put out a PB jar almost 2 years ago to the day and it has yet to get any chew marks. Don't remember doing anything special to it beyond a general washing.

Jamie

I put out a PB jar almost 2 years ago to the day and it has yet to get any chew marks. Don't remember doing anything special to it beyond a general washing.

Ditto here. I've got a couple of peanut butter jars, hidden in dog parks that have yet to be chewed on. My one cache that *has* been chewed was a Tupperware container that someone put some 'slime' toy in (at least I'm assuming the slime attracted the critters).

Funny thing about peanut allergies:

My mom is really, really allergic to peanuts, but for some reason she can eat food fried in peanut oil. There's this place near their house called Doug's Fish Fry. It's the best fish fry you ever had, and everything is fried in 100% peanut oil. She can eat there, but give her a nibble of a cookie with peanuts in it, and she's in trouble!

Hmmm... perhaps I am wrong. I have found a handful of caches which were housed in former food containers. a number of them had holes chewed in them. Maybe peanut butter is special.

Jamie

Funny thing about peanut allergies:

My mom is really, really allergic to peanuts, but for some reason she can eat food fried in peanut oil. There's this place near their house called Doug's Fish Fry. It's the best fish fry you ever had, and everything is fried in 100% peanut oil. She can eat there, but give her a nibble of a cookie with peanuts in it, and she's in trouble!

It's the proteins in peanuts that are allergenic, not the oil.

As a parent of a child with a peanut allergy, I would appreciate those who place the cache to 1. bleach the jar; 2. to post on the website that the cache is a peanut butter jar and 3. maybe use another type of container.

Many caches are in remote area, and although we carry an epi-pen with us, one shot may not be enough. For some allergic people, ingesting even a trace amount (1/44000 of a peanut kernel) can be life-threatening.

We do try to stay away from those cache containers just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the cachers here.

I think the problem with the greater prevalence of allergies is due to the parents of children trying to isolate them from germs. Let the kid play in the dirt and eat it once or twice. You don't have to scrub everything and everyone with anti-bacterial soap. The presence of a low level of background germs allows one to build up a healthy immunity.

I doubt that there would be much problem with allergies.  By the time you've bleached the heck out of it to stop the critters from chewing it up, I doubt that there would be anything left to be allergic to.

I'm allergic to bleach :wacko:

Me too (seriously!)

Myself, I'm actually EXTREMELY allergic to rodents (odd allergy, no?) so I suppose if little critters take up residence or spend significant time in a cache container (by way of a hole, not as a trade item!! [:lol:]I would probably have a reaction.

(sidenote: I once was standing near the open end of an open semi trailer. The scent of rodents was very strong, and I actually had a readtion! What a weenie!)

But, as I am allergic to the natural world, I come prepared. I have my inhaler, benedryl, eye drops, epi pen (well, I had one. Gotta get a new one) and a cell phone.

Food allergies can be nasty. I've got a strawberry allergy. Thankfully, no one is hiding caches in those little strawberry baskets.

Bec

As a Girl Scout leader, nut allergies are part of our training...all the other allerigies are just in the first-aid trainings, but the nut ones are so serious that it's crossed overinto outdoor skill training...very scary stuff. I guess the deal is that even smelling pb can send someone with a sever allergy into anaphyllactic (not spelled right) shock which is basically instant death. That's a worst-case scenario, but it has happened.

I hadn't thought about well-soaked then washed jars, though. Between my daughter and myself, we have two. PB is a primary source of protein in my house.

Are you serious?  My kid can't eat PB&J because somebody else is allergic?

That's just silly.

If your kid is sitting next to an alergic kid at lunch who gets a good whiff of your kids PB&J sandwich guess what? It's possible that

His throat swells up, he cant brethe and he dies in front of your kid.

Now how silly do you think that is.

I think the problem with the greater prevalence of allergies is due to the parents of children trying to isolate them from germs. Let the kid play in the dirt and eat it once or twice.  You don't have to scrub everything and everyone with anti-bacterial soap. The presence of a low level of background germs allows one to build up a healthy immunity.

there's actually a growing theory (with some valid scientific data, but not nearly enough to "prove" it ever) linking the peanut allergies with the development of honey nut cheerios and other similar foods.

When honey nut cheerios were first developed, they were produced in the same facility as regular cheerios (which many parents of toddlers are known to rely on as a wonderful snack food). this ended up giving the children exposure to nut products at too young of an age, and many developed allergies. since then, they've moved the production of honey nut cheerios to separate facilities, to minimize the potential impact. (logic as follows - we might never know of honey nut cheerios contributed or not, but why take the chance? sort of like there is 0 scientific evidence for caffeine causing birth defects, but since there's the possibility that it might, why risk it?) the thing is, some people will feed 1-year-olds peanut-butter...

all we really know for sure is that the vast majority of peanut (and all nut) allergies are due to being exposed to nuts at too young of an age. and that there was a tremendous spike in the number of nut allergy cases soon after honey nut cheerios entered the US marketplace. (and that a similar spike was not seen in other countries where the product was not for sale). however, it is also quite possible that we a) are simply better at identifying cases, or b ) have a 3rd factor that we haven't identified.

edit: to remove it's conversion to smileys

Edited by Beffums
I think the problem with the greater prevalence of allergies is due to the parents of children trying to isolate them from germs. Let the kid play in the dirt and eat it once or twice. You don't have to scrub everything and everyone with anti-bacterial soap. The presence of a low level of background germs allows one to build up a healthy immunity.

An allergy is not due to lack of a healthy immune system. In fact, the immune system is very effective, but predisposed to react to certain proteins. Letting kids eat dirt will not make them less likely to have allergic reactions.

I'm sorry. I still don't think that outlawing PB&J is the answer. Incidently, I just took a few minutes to search our local school's rules and it appears that they have not taken this measure.

Parents are usually not asked to avoid sending certain foods to school unless there is a child enrolled who is known to have a serious allergy. Nobody is outlawing PB&J, but if you knew your kids had a classmate who could die from exposure to a microscopic trace of peanuts, don't you think you could find something else to put in your kid's lunch?