Hazards Of Caching Geocoin

Shop99er

Another thread casually announced the notion that we had about making a "Hazards of Caching" geocoin. It got a whole more attention that we thought it would! So, with some positive reinforcement we're going forward with the idea.

What this will be is a series of coins that depict some of the hazards we've all encountered while caching. Mr. Shop99er usually pokes a tree in his eye, blackberry vines have yanked us off our feet, some of us have fallen into ponds or out of trees.... those are the more common hazards we will be having a look at. We are, however, very interested in some of the real 'near misses' type of hazards that cachers have encountered. Things like coming very close to the edge of an unknown cliff in the middle of the night, being washed down a storm drain, being chased by hornets, etc.

We'll need to depend on fellow cachers and their stories to make this series so We'd like to ask you to email us with your story if you'd like to be considered for a coin. We can't promise that you'll end up being a coin but we'd certainly like to have everyone's story in the running.

The art and the final layout of the coin will be approved by the contributing cacher. We can go serious or slightly tongue-in-cheek with the art and story. That will be up to the story teller.

Right now we're still putting together the who, what, when, where and why of it but we are thinking that the coins will be a 1.5 inch, round, antiqued nickel all in 3-D. On the front side will be an image that represents the story or situation. If there's an actual photo of a situation we'll certainly see if we can make it work but we'll probably just mock up a generic figure in a situation. On the back side we will have an all text version of the situation/hazard (that we'll need you to write). There will be a wide outer ring on the back side with the cacher's name at the top and the date of the incident at the bottom.

The contributing cacher will receive 2 coins free (one to show and one to go) for sharing their story. Coins will be pre-sold for a specific time period. What ever the number presold when the offering ends will be the number of coins produced.

We're still working on whether or not the coins should be numbered or trackable. The price per coin will reflect the manufacture costs, postage, envelopes and Delivery Confirmation.

So, if you've got a story you'd like to share email us.

story.  My vote goes to dynamic duet  <_<

That's exactly the story I thought of too, that medical bill stuck in my head and I tell everyone, watch out for snakes, it'll cost ya!

My only misadventure so far is a raging case of PO, as happens to many cachers but who wants to see that on a coin. Eewwww, I itch just thinking about it! :laughing:

oh oh, who's the one with the black and blue backside from taking a bad tumble with another cacher? Please don't do that coin, I still can't get that image out of my head, worse than a plumbers crack and REALLY black and blue!! <_<

Edited by GeoBrowns
I have a pretty good story about badly slicing my hand open while feeling up a random structure looking for a cache... even have a nice scar to show for it now but that pales in comparison to this story. My vote goes to dynamic duet :laughing:

Wasn't there a thread somewhere about a cacher who carries a gun running accross a rattlesnake? I seem to recall that there were several shots fired at nearly point blank range which only startled the snake. Does anyone else remember that or am I having an OMA (Obscure Mental Association) moment?

OK Here is a hint to a good story.

I will send it in but you will have to decipher the story out of it.

MILE ZERO GC2E52

I was searching out the Holy Grail looking for the CENTER OF THE CRYPT

We started from the South center of the Elipse I had GPSed the MERIDIAN STONE

Lined up the Star on the White House the Mile Zero and the Crypt.

Just about that time ............................................

You will have to wait for the rest of the story.

As soon a Cornerstone4 sends me the text for the first coin we'll get a price quote and see what happens from there.

Thanks everyone!

Hey Cornerstone4 what are you waiting for <_< ? Your holding my coin purchases up :blink: !

That and depending on which story gets used first, Someones 2 free coins as well LOL!! :P

I'm on it! I'll get er done today!  :anibad:

Nothing like a little peer pressure huh?

Well........

Cornerstone4's story will be the first coin. It was his story that planted the seed in our heads.

We are thinkin of doing a 'seriously could have been hurt or killed' coin then a 'happens to everyone' coin. The second one might be our own saga of getting poked in the eye with a pine tree branch.

There weren't a whole lot of casual 'fell on my hind-end and slid down a hill' type stories so we are working on getting more of those.

I've contacted my manufacturer and we're thinking it's going to be somewhere between $7 and $8 per coin but that's still up in the air. We're haveing 'issues' about using UPS for shipping when I prefer USPS (which is cheaper and safer).

As soon a Cornerstone4 sends me the text for the first coin we'll get a price quote and see what happens from there.

Thanks everyone!

Hey Cornerstone4 what are you waiting for :laughing: ? Your holding my coin purchases up :rolleyes: !

I'm on it! I'll get er done today! :laughing:

So, Dave, what "today" are you referring to?

If you don't send the story, we're gonna make it up, and you'll be nekkid in our story!! :laughing:

No story to add but I was toying with a coin like that some time back and just never sent it on to a mint. I had it all drawn up and ready to go but my own personal coin took preference. I had my personal favorite hazards for my region on the coin. Poison Ivy, Rattlesnake, Tick, Yellow Jacket, Mosquito. I was going to put a PA state trooper hat on there too but I didn't know how that would be taken.

I also delayed the idea once I saw a couple of personal coins show up with hazards on them. I'm anxious to see how this coin turns out.

JoelMart

If you don't send the story, we're gonna make it up, and you'll be nekkid in our story!!  :ph34r:

Alright then. No story from Cornerstone4 so I'm making one up! Here goes....

" So there I was.... Nekked, standing near the edge of a cliff, wearing only a rhinestone tiara, golf shoes and holding a spatula....."

Don't say I didn't warn you!

If you don't send the story, we're gonna make it up, and you'll be nekkid in our story!!  :ph34r:

" So there I was.... Nekked, standing near the edge of a cliff, wearing only a rhinestone tiara, golf shoes and holding a spatula....."

Dave needs to retell the story about the cave cache requirement for the Coin Quest. That's a classic tale and could be for the "hazzards of caching alone geocoin." LOL!!!

PassingWind's & D-Jollymon's survival story.....

The Story

We have pictures of the aftermath but they are a bit to vulgar to present publicly on the forums!

PW

The Passing Wind/D-Jollymon story is slated for coin #3.

And (this is Mrs. Shop99er talking) I've seen the aftermath photos and well, all I have to say is bruised or not, Passing Wind has a nice set of 'cakes'! :ph34r:

If you don't send the story, we're gonna make it up, and you'll be nekkid in our story!!  :anitongue:

Ok, Ok, you have the start right, except I had a cell phone as well.

The next thing I know, my phone rings, and it's AG. She asks me that same old question, and I say..."A rhinestone tiara, golf shoes, and I'm holding a spatula. Now, how about you?"

The next thing I know, my phone rings, and it's AG. She asks me that same old question, and I say..."A rhinestone tiara, golf shoes, and I'm holding a spatula. Now, how about you?"

LMFAO!!!!

I say, the heck with what I am adorning (is this even a word?), I'll be right over with a camera! Cause some moments should definitely be captured in pictures!

LMFAO!!!!

I say, the heck with what I am adorning (is this even a word?), I'll be right over with a camera! Cause some moments should definitely be captured in pictures!

LOL!! Needed that laugh after reading all the ongoing angst! Thanks!! :anitongue:

Cornerstone4 has submitted his story so we are full steam ahead on the Hazards of Caching coins.

However, with the new rules about coins of this type (not trackable on GS) being announced on the forums...... I'm not sure how we are going to offer these to collectors. We may have to do this as a 'you email me and we'll tell you how much' sort of thing.

<Content removed by Moderator>

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster
Rapid View Has to be one of my favorite log's those poor fisherman. <_<

HOLY SPIT! Have you read his other logs? Check out the gallery on his profile. Interesting.

From Bloom County:

Opus: I beg your pardon?

HK: I asked if you would make an offering to a spiritual pilgrim.

Opus: AH! Your a penguin, too?

HK: PILGRIM, my son.

Opus: Pilgrim.

HK: Yes! Of the Hare Krishnas.

Opus: Hairry Fishnuts.

HK: HARE KRISHNAS. Your offering would go to our prayer temples.

Opus: Dimples?

HK: PRAYER TEMPLES.

Opus: Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts!!

HK: Just cough up some dough, Mac!

LMFAO!!!!

So, where's the picture?

Here's what the first one is going to look like. Minor changes have been made in color.

It's an all 3-D coin with black enamel background on the landscape and behind the wording. The metal is antique silver and the size is 1.75 inches.

coin1ab.jpg

<Content removed by moderator>

Here's what the first one is going to look like. Minor changes have been made in color.

It's an all 3-D coin with black enamel background on the landscape and behind the wording. The metal is antique silver and the size is 1.75 inches.

Image removed for space

I went to find that group and it is not coming up on search. HELP :mad: