Coin Listed, But Not In Cache

W4G_SOTAGoat

A user has three coins listed as being in his cache, but they are not there. All three belong to the cache owner and the coin description says that he is keeping all three. Is this accepted bahavior, to have the coins listed as being available in an owner's cache, but for him to be keeping them at home in his "personal inventory"?

This is the cache in question

Edited by Clayshooter

I don't think it is very acceptable behaviour, I think it is misleading people as to what exists in the cache. But the owner at least mentioned in the coins descriptions that they are being kept, which is better than not mentioning anything.

I usually read the descriptions of any TBs or coins in a cache that I was planning to visit to see if I could help them on their mission or not (since some don't have mission tags with them) and that would clue me in that those coins aren't really there.

I bet you he is using his cache as a virtual coin holding bin. So that they are not in his inventory. I am not sure that is a good idea or not....maybe he should put a disclaimer on the cache page that no actual coins or TB's are in this cache.

Hey that cache is in my neck of the woods.

I would say that since it is an evil little micro, I would not expect the coins to be there when I was looking for it.

Edited by ParentsofSAM
A user has three coins listed as being in his cache, but they are not there.  All three belong to the cache owner and the coin description says that he is keeping all three.  Is this accepted bahavior, to have the coins listed as being available in an owner's cache, but for him to be keeping them at home in his "personal inventory"?

This is the cache in question

No. If they're using them to go to events, they keep them in their possession until they drop them in the event. Then, after everybody at the event has had a chance to log the geocoin, the owner will grab it back and keep it in their possession.

I use one of my archived caches to hold coins that I am keeping but don't want in my inventory. I agree, it's misleading to people who are searching, especially if they are searching specifically for a certain coin. But then again, I almost never find coins that are listed in a cache to actually be in the cache.

You are asking for an opinion here, so expect to get a lot of them.

IMHO it is OK to drop coins in cache that you are keeping for the purpose tracking mileage (much like the “personal travelbug” or a travel bug tag attached to your dog or vehicle). I do carry my geocoin collection around to events, therefore I do frequently drop them in the event caches. I also drop my coins in one of my own nearby caches just to establish a starting point immediately after activation.

I would argue (with a few exceptions) that you should not drop coins into a cache unless the coins are physically at the cache location. If it is necessary to, then the coins should be immediately logged out such that others do not go running to the cache expecting to find coins.

I do not like the virtual coin thing either. If I have my coins at an event cache, you still have to look at my collection (have them in your physical posession) before I would allow them to be logged. I do however enjoy taking my coins to events and allowing people to log them. What is the point of collecting them if you do not share them with others?

Edited by Rupert2
I bet you he is using his cache as a virtual coin holding bin. So that they are not in his inventory. I am not sure that is a good idea or not....maybe he should put a disclaimer on the cache page that no actual coins or TB's are in this cache.

There are a lot of people who do this to get them off their inventory. IMHO, it's a bit obnoxious to do it with an active cache. I like the cache contents to be reflected accurately.

Many use an archived cache as a repository. In my opinion, an even better way to accomplish the same thing is to mark the location of the coins as "Unknown". (This is what I do.) In this way, the disposition of the coins is reletively accurate (more so than dropping into a cache that they are not really in.) Getting the coins back (to drop in a cache or whatever) is the same as grabbing them from the archived cache.

If a cacher reads the cache description then they would know that there is no way for a coin to be in this cache. :)

As stated in the decription the actual cache is

It is a Micro’ Micro
Did I mention it is small?
you find in the micro'micro cache

A little forethought about the cache and what could be held in it would let you know that the actual coins couldn't be there.

:D:D:D

IMHO :lol:

D-man ;)

THis brings up a great point.

I have many coins in my 'possession' because I own a lot of coins.

I hate them cluttering up my TB list.

What options do we have?

I know I can not activate teh coins, but I do like the icons (although I don't buy the coins for that sole purpose).

I could drop them in an archived cache, but that seems strange.....

I use one of my archived caches to hold coins that I am keeping but don't want in my inventory. I agree, it's misleading to people who are searching, especially if they are searching specifically for a certain coin. But then again, I almost never find coins that are listed in a cache to actually be in the cache.

Oooh, great idea. My coin inventory is getting so long, I can't find the actual TBs in it that I need to place. Of course, I still hope that gc.com will eventually separate coins from TBs in our account listings, but until then.....

What options do we have?

I know I can not activate teh coins, but I do like the icons (although I don't buy the coins for that sole purpose).

Mark them as missing.

Actually, just create a new cache and click available OFF, this will prevent the cache from ever going into the approve bin, but you can still drop coins in it. A cache that does not exist for the sole purpose of holding your inventory, a lot of cachers do this.

Edited by AV Dezign
So is creating a coin sock puppet account or have a not real cache ok with GC.com? I don't want to do something and then get in trouble for it.

Who knows, it seems that GC likes to invents new rules every time something bothers them or is off the norm. My guess is that either one of them will be illegal eventually

This may be off topic - but has anyone made a thread for coins placed in caches? THis way, as soon as we drop a coin in a cache - we post it on the thread to give all the die-hard "coiners" a chance to get it (if you are in the right state, that is). Just a thought.

Tiki

What options do we have?

Mark them as missing.

This works perfectly if you just want the owner icon but don't want it to show up in your inventory or in a cache.

A bit off topic ~

I thought all caches had to have logbooks and this one seems to only have a code word. Back when I was a cache reviewer I would not have approved the cache in question.

To quote the guidelines:

Traditional Caches

This is the original cache type consisting of (at a bare minimum) a container and a logbook.

I'm am pretty much doing the same thing to get the coins off my inventory.  The only difference is I am using an archived cache of mine to store them.

Team Sand Dollar

Your lucky to have one archived cache to place your coin collection in. On another note, to bad you wouldn't think of placing a cache in Michigan for your fellow geocachers to find. Any cache, Micro, traditional, multi, anything. LOL :D

Edited by Team CoyChev

I think a possible solution to the problem would be if the GC.com web site were modified to allow each user to have the ability to specify which coins and caches for that matter do and do not show up on our profile page. Heck make this a premium member feature. Would that help you folks out? I don't have the problem 'cause I only own one geocoin :D

What options do we have?

Mark them as missing.

This works perfectly if you just want the owner icon but don't want it to show up in your inventory or in a cache.

Right. And if you take it to events to show off and let others log it, you can still grab it from the unknown and place it in the event cache or let others just grab it from the unknown and log it. When all the logging is done, just put it back into the unknown.

Edited by SeventhSon
So is creating a coin sock puppet account or have a not real cache ok with GC.com? I don't want to do something and then get in trouble for it.

Of course it is against the rules. If, however, you do not do anyting with the account (post in the forums, log finds etc) who would know? No harm / no foul?

If you are in the habit of dropping your coins into event caches, you can always just leave them there until the next event. It is not anyone is going to an event cache after it is over expecting to find coins.

Edited by Rupert2