Locked Box?

I'm preparing to hide a multicache. The final container is somewhat unique, a recycled piece of industrial junk, similar to an ammo can. It has a lockable clasp on it and I'm debating whether to put a lock on it.

I've only found a couple of caches with locks on them. Both seemed to have pretty tortured histories. Either cachers had problems with the locks working or the boxes tended to be vandalized.

Is there a concensus about locks and caches out there?

I did a multi that ended at a container that had a small lock on it. We used the combination we got from the first stage of the Multi, but then couldn't get the rusty lock closed . . . B)

Another Travel Bug Prison I went to had a combination lock. Without my Palm that day, and only my GPSr, there was no way to get the container open . . . B)

Just a couple of things to think about . . .

I have a series out that ends with a locked .50 cal ammo can. I modified the can to accept the lock which is a heavy duty 4-digit padlock. So far nobody has reported problems with it. I plan to check it every few months for routine maintenance and I'll likely hit the lock with a little WD40 or something at that time if it appears that rusting will be an issue. I'm sure that if there are any problems before that my local cachers will let me know. I also have a couple other locks of the same type and, since they are programmable to any combination desired, I can replace the lock if needed without having to mess with the other stages that give the coordinate and combination info.

There is a cache in my area with a lock. You have to find a traveler in our area that has the key. Rules of the traveler/key is it must stay with 25 miles of the locked cache, etc. Haven't tried that one yet.

I think the concern is 'will people be pissed off/put off by the lock'? What happens if the key going missing (apparently with my example, they are on the second traveler/key).

Depends on the purpose of the lock. If its to discourage theft, I think it has the opposite effect. A locked box will be all the more attractive to someone who is curious.

If the lock is there simply to be part of a puzzle, then its fine. Of course you have to hide it where the curious won't stumble on it.

I recently did a multi/puzzle-cache with a padlock on a 50 cal. at the end, 20 feet up a tree. It only sees activity a few times a year, and being up in a tree, it's certainly exposed to the elements. It's been out there for a couple years now, and the padlock is not the weather-resistant variety, so I had some serious doubts that it would work. I had to fiddle with it quite a bit, but I did eventually get it to open. A locksmith friend of mine turned me on to Tri-Flow, a Teflon-based spray lube that works great on locks. I'd recommend using that on it everytime you do cache maintenance.

Depends on the purpose of the lock. If its to discourage theft, I think it has the opposite effect. A locked box will be all the more attractive to someone who is curious.

If the lock is there simply to be part of a puzzle, then its fine. Of course you have to hide it where the curious won't stumble on it.

A box without a lock may be opened by an unintended finder. A box with a lock will be broken up or removed.

If a cache is found by the police and it is locked the cache may be removed and opened to check the content.

Locks may freeze in winter time. I found a locked cache some weeks ago. The lock was almost destroyed and force was needed to open and close it.

Some months ago I found a multi stage cache. The last stage before the cache was a box containing a hinge with a combination padlock. The cache coordinates where written inside the hinge which was locked by the padlock.

We had 2 of these locked caches in our area....the 1st you had to get the TB key to open it, but then someone stole the box and now the key is just a TB with no purpose, the owner never replaced the cache. The 2nd was a combination lock and there were 3 questions on the side of the box you had to answer to open it. It too was stolen. On that one the cache discription said nothing about it being locked or needing to answer movie trivia questions, it was meant to force the finders to come back for a 'second trip' (that was the name).

So I do not think it is a good idea, at least in our area, they do not last long.

Hi, part time locksmith here. The biggest problem with the locks out there is the quality. You get what you pay for. I have padlocks that have been in the wild unopened for 5+ years in NE PA, I go by every now and then and they open without any problems. Unfortunately these padlocks cost about $50 each but if you want quality and trouble free operation it's worth it. Avoid any spray lubricant - they attract moisture, grit, grime and will rust, gum-up and freeze a lock in no time flat. The locks do not come greased up when you buy them and most of them are not intended to be used outside. Solution, change your lock on a yearly basis and do your best to protect it from the elements.

Last locked cache I visited I was only able to get into with a bolt cutters. :lol:

They did open the lock in 2 seconds, though. ;)

I guess I should mention that it was my cache and I had to remove the lock by force because someone accidentally changed the combination after they opened it.

If you do use a combo lock, just make sure it's not so easy to change the combo that it can be done accidentally, or you might need your bolt cutters too.

A friend and I did a locked cache called Big Agnes in Northern California, but this one had a twist. We had to PICK the padlock to gain entry into the ammo box. We used Tri-Flo and a paperclip, and the lock finally surrendered after 20-30 minutes.

That's why I have "universal keys" (i.e. lockpicks) - it's so much easier than a paperclip.

A friend and I did a locked cache called Big Agnes in Northern California, but this one had a twist.  We had to PICK the padlock to gain entry into the ammo box.  We used Tri-Flo and a paperclip, and the lock finally surrendered after 20-30 minutes.

That's why I have "universal keys" (i.e. lockpicks) - it's so much easier than a paperclip.

We tried to get lockpicks, but were told by a locksmith that it's illegal in CA to be in possession of these kinds of tools without a license (it's actually a felony!). Thus, we went with the caveman tools, which worked out just fine in the long run.

As it happens, I just ran a PQ of all our finds. So I checked through it for all the caches with locks (that I remember!). All are archived. Caches with locks are high maintenance and VERY attractive to be carryed off if found accidentally.

I think bogleman hit it. Either spend $50 for a GOOD lock, intended for long term outdoor use (and worry about having it and cache muggled) or replace your less expensive locks often. Sprays gum them up.

There's one here in Utah that isn't listed as a multi, but when you get there, the box has a lock and a set of coords. The key is at the second coords (only about 200 feet away).

In this case, the lock and key were fine when I found them, but the cheap tool box cache container was a leaky, rusty, awful mess inside.

It was supposed to be a "tool exchange" cache, but no tool inside it was worth taking. I suppose when you hide a non-waterproof box in a duck marsh next to the Great Salt Lake, you just might get some rust, huh? Surprise, surprise, surprise.

I should've logged it as "Took lock and key, left soon-to-be-useless pliers."

I don't think it would be such a bad idea as long as it was a combination lock (no way to lose the key.)

I have a Master "weatherproof" lock on a gate which has been out there since at least last winter (Chicago winter) and I only open it about 1-2 times a month on average. I have never had a problem with it sticking... I think it cost about $5-8 at Home Depot. I've also had good luck with bike locks out in all weather although I'm not sure how you'd lock a cache with a bike lock. :unsure:

I had a cache with a lock it went MIA twice. A friend had one the police cut the lock off and left the cache, they left a note. In a nother of his cache the cache and the key hidden near by went MIA. So it is....... well you decide. But I will probable place another cache with a lock on it.

cheers

A box without a lock may be opened by an unintended finder. A box with a lock will be broken up or removed.

If a cache is found by the police and it is locked the cache may be removed and opened to check the content.

This is my primary concern. I would think that an ammo box (or similar potentially suspicious container) with a lock on it would seem even more suspicious if found by a non-cacher. There have been numerous stories of bomb squads called out to caches. What if a lock made the difference between some currious, brave person opening the box and discovering that it's part of a game or calling the police to report a "mysterious, padlocked metal box hidden in the park"?

But if it's hidden on private property (with permission), or on your property, or in a cleverly disguized container, this may not be an issue. I've seen two caches that were hidden in plain view in locked electrical boxes. Fortunately, you knew from the description that they would be locked, and both were hidden in areas far from real electrical equipment to prevent damage or injury from opening the wrong box.

I'm curious if anyone has ever done a cache with a lock that was anchored in some way to prevent it from being carried off? (such as chained ore secured to something else or made too heavy to move.)

If anyone knows of any like this I'd be interested to know how they fared!

I found a few caches in the Omaha area that were hidden this way. Here is one that was placed with permission on private property in an urban area, and padlocked to a tree so that you had to undo the lock to open or move the cache. Another one at the nearby Historic Trails Center was chained to a large stump, probably to prevent it from floating away in high water.

Last locked cache I visited I was only able to get into with a bolt cutters.  :)

They did open the lock in 2 seconds, though.  :huh:

I guess I should mention that  it was my cache  and I had to remove the lock by force because someone accidentally changed the combination after they opened it. 

If you do use a combo lock, just make sure it's not so easy to change the combo that it can be done accidentally, or you might need your bolt cutters too.

The lock I'm using is programmable as well. It is a 4 digit combination and is a heavy duty lock (think big Master Lock type). In order to change the combination you have to open the lock, insert a tool, and turn the tool. Only then can you change the combination. I've left a number of these locks in caches (they go fast) but I'm down to only a few left now. I'm keeping at least one spare (likely I'll keep two though) in case I need to replace the lock on my cache.

I have a series out that ends with a locked .50 cal ammo can. I modified the can to accept the lock which is a heavy duty 4-digit padlock. So far nobody has reported problems with it. I plan to check it every few months for routine maintenance and I'll likely hit the lock with a little WD40 or something at that time if it appears that rusting will be an issue. I'm sure that if there are any problems before that my local cachers will let me know. I also have a couple other locks of the same type and, since they are programmable to any combination desired, I can replace the lock if needed without having to mess with the other stages that give the coordinate and combination info.

I have a utility box out in the open with one of those common brass 4 digit Master lock on it. It gets weathered quite a bit in the Greater North West and tends to rust up quickly. So keep an eye on your locks. It might be better to do a little looking around on line or at the local lock smith shop vs. the generic hardware store for a weatherized combo lock. Some times they have rubber jackets around the lock to keep the rain out of them.

Just a thought.

I kind of like the idea of a puzzle or multi cache ending with a combo lock as part of the task.

Hide it well or if Muggles find a locked box they will place a higher value of the inside contents and may walk off with the cache.

I'm curious if anyone has ever done a cache with a lock that was anchored in some way to prevent it from being carried off? (such as chained ore secured to something else or made too heavy to move.)

Yes the first cache I place was a brand new Pelican box. I found an inexpensive combo bike chain (coated cable) and ran it through the plastic handle of the box and around the tree.

One guy thought it was a nice attachment while another thought it was a bit over kill but each to his own.

I wasn't so worried about Muggles as much as the cache getting moved away from its spot.

Cache is still in good operation I must say.

:unsure:

Another thought I think COMBO locks are fun as you can play the numbers game and yes we have numbers to play with when it come to geocashing.

Where with keyed locks the cache owner has to continually monitor and possibly replace a physical key.

Even under the best of intension people could drop, loose or forget to replace a physical key.

On the other hand it kind of give the cache hunt a since of 3D depth where you have to grab this to get that.

Here's an interesting idea.

Has any one placed or used a GE Supra push pin "real-estate key box" lock to hide clues or key to the final cache.

My goodness substitute door know with tree branch.

Insert next clue or waypoint inside.

Could make for an extremely difficult multi hunt.

The lock I'm using is programmable as well. It is a 4 digit combination and is a heavy duty lock (think big Master Lock type). In order to change the combination you have to open the lock, insert a tool, and turn the tool. Only then can you change the combination.

I've left a number of these locks in caches (they go fast) but

I'm down to only a few left now. I'm keeping at least one spare (likely I'll keep two though) in case I need to replace the lock on my cache.

You have left Master locks as items in a cache?

Dang where did you leave the last one I could use an new lock hahhaaa...

Nice prize if that is what your leaving as a stash.

or maybe you ment you left them for caches that had old crapy lock on them for the owner to use as a replacement.

Happy Hunting!

The lock I'm using is programmable as well. It is a 4 digit combination and is a heavy duty lock (think big Master Lock type). In order to change the combination you have to open the lock, insert a tool, and turn the tool. Only then can you change the combination.

I've left a number of these locks in caches (they go fast) but

I'm down to only a few left now. I'm keeping at least one spare (likely I'll keep two though) in case I need to replace the lock on my cache.

You have left Master locks as items in a cache?

Dang where did you leave the last one I could use an new lock hahhaaa...

Nice prize if that is what your leaving as a stash.

or maybe you ment you left them for caches that had old crapy lock on them for the owner to use as a replacement.

Happy Hunting!

:antenna:

Nope. I've left a number of padlocks of various kinds including the heavy duty programmable combo locks. I left them as trade swag. Folks seem to like them and I had quite a few to begin with. I'm pretty much down to only a couple now so saving the last ones in case I need them to replace the lock on my cache.

I don't really worry much about the locked cache being muggled. It's off the trail in the hills and maybe 15 feet up a slope, behind a couple of large rocks, and under smaller rocks and bark. If it's found and stolen I'll be bummed but it won't be the end of the world.

I'm amazed at the people that said that they would force it open. I hope they were kidding...

Around here a while ago, I found a cache that was particularly difficult to open. It was a micro with a capsule that I hadn't seen before. Never in a million years would I consider damaging that container to get it open.

When I saw my very first ammo box in April of 2001, I had NO idea how to open it. Again, I never would have dreamed of damaging the box to get at the contents.

Why would someone consider damaging the lock on a box to get to the contents?

In March 2005, I placed a locked ammo box aboard the Juliett 484, the Soviet Guided Nuclear Missle submarine that provided the cinematic stage for the movie "K-19: The Widowmaker."

While I spent about 45 days working with the Juliett 484 administration and with geocaching.com in order to research, develop, submit, and hone the cache listing to meet each administration's expectations and guidelines, I was listing the Juliett 484 with trepidition.

I made it clear that this cache would differ from other geocaches in that it would not be concealed, and that it was placed in plain sight in the Doctor's Quarters in Compartment 2. While the Juliett 484 administration were beyond agreeable to my ideas and suggestions, I had real concerns about hiding the cache container and having an over-eager cacher climbing on irreplaceable equipment or dismantling electrical components in order to locate the cache container.

So far, the Juliett 484 cache has been a positive experience for the geocachers that search for it, the tourists that explore the sub and learn about geocaching.com during the tour, and for the Juliett 484 administration. (Talk about a win-win situation!)

Here is the standard sized locked cache container I placed aboard the Juliett 484:

ed74b7a9-0cd2-4e79-95d5-e04d77feaeb6.jpg

This cache has been around for about two years and is secured to the location.