Icon Sp Account

webscouter.

Just wondering, now that personal coins will be allowed to have their own icons it will become just about impossible for me to keep the Icon SP account current.

I have two possible solutions to this. Perhaps you all could comment on, improve or discourage me from the solution.

Solution #1. Make the password for the Icon SP account public thereby allowing anyone to add their coin to the account if they wish.

Solution #2. Give the account over to TPTB and have them create a "virtual" coin for every trackable edition. Perhaps XXICSP

Solution #1 problems. Will probably be abused. I think perhaps someone would edit the profile to have some unacceptable comments in it.

Solution #2 problems. If the same number was used for all coins if it ever got out everyone would just grab the coins to get the icon on their accounts.

Please give some feedback.

Perhaps you could set up a committee to keep that profile up-to-date? Have 4 or 5 people responsible for it that all have access to the account and associated email address. That way it wouldn't always fall on your shoulders to keep it up-to-date. I think it's a great resource to have, and even have it listed under my favourites, so would hate to see this go away.

Perhaps you could set up a committee to keep that profile up-to-date? Have 4 or 5 people responsible for it that all have access to the account and associated email address. That way it wouldn't always fall on your shoulders to keep it up-to-date. I think it's a great resource to have, and even have it listed under my favourites, so would hate to see this go away.

I agree and also have it saved in my favorites.

Maybe a couple of responsible parties?

Just wondering, now that personal coins will be allowed to have their own icons it will become just about impossible for me to keep the Icon SP account current.

I have two possible solutions to this. Perhaps you all could comment on, improve or discourage me from the solution.

Solution #1. Make the password for the Icon SP account public thereby allowing anyone to add their coin to the account if they wish.

Solution #2. Give the account over to TPTB and have them create a "virtual" coin for every trackable edition. Perhaps XXICSP

Solution #1 problems. Will probably be abused. I think perhaps someone would edit the profile to have some unacceptable comments in it.

Solution #2 problems. If the same number was used for all coins if it ever got out everyone would just grab the coins to get the icon on their accounts.

Or, just forget the whole thing. Its not like its a need. Cachers will still find caches if you don't have all the icons on a page. Perhaps this is a good time to let the page go and do something else with your time. Its just a thought.

Or, just forget the whole thing. Its not like its a need. Cachers will still find caches if you don't have all the icons on a page. Perhaps this is a good time to let the page go and do something else with your time. Its just a thought.

Wrong thread. You were looking for the whining thread. Don't you hate it when people play different games than you?

Wrong thread. You were looking for the whining thread. Don't you hate it when people play different games than you?

No but I do dislike when someone takes what I said and tries to make it into something else. Its not a whine. Its a suggestion. A whine would have to include my personal opinion about the subject and possibly other negative factors. As for playing games differently than me that is not even a factor. I'm one of the guys that makes sure you guys can play your games the way you like. Within the published guidelines.

Thanks for playing.

No but I do dislike when someone takes what I said and tries to make it into something else. Its not a whine. Its a suggestion. A whine would have to include my personal opinion about the subject and possibly other negative factors. As for playing games differently than me that is not even a factor. I'm one of the guys that makes sure you guys can play your games the way you like. Within the published guidelines.

Thanks for playing.

Gee, umm... thanks?

You could create a website with a table that has all the icons (didn't someone post one recently?) It's not easy to figure out most of the naming schemes, 137.jpg, 138.jpg, etc. Just fill it out ahead of time so they automatically get added. Doing it via a profile here will make it harder to maintain (since you need the tracking numbers) but a simple page like Team Fisur has for the coins themselves would be sufficient? Just replace the links to the coin images with the actual images of the icons. You could add them easily without having to email the coin owners for tracking codes.

You could create a website with a table that has all the icons (didn't someone post one recently?) It's not easy to figure out most of the naming schemes, 137.jpg, 138.jpg, etc. Just fill it out ahead of time so they automatically get added. Doing it via a profile here will make it harder to maintain (since you need the tracking numbers) but a simple page like Team Fisur has for the coins themselves would be sufficient? Just replace the links to the coin images with the actual images of the icons. You could add them easily without having to email the coin owners for tracking codes.

That is much too simple a solution. :o

Some are missing (there's no 137.jpg for example, but there is a 137.gif [earthcaches]... 138.jpg is German coin), but it seems it would be easier to maintain than chasing down codes. If you see a new icon, right-click it, get the image path, and link it. Getting it started might take a few minutes to build the page but after that it should be pretty smooth.

edit: made a quick page here as an example

:o

Edited by robert

1. would get abused, someone would start logging everything just for the sake of doing so. 58 of the same icon is ok isn't it? :o

2. would be nice idea, but I figure if TPTB wanted a listing of all the icons they would have set up one alread. Either they don't want one, or they're way too busy elsewhere.

I agree with junglehair and others that have said you need a small committe/group to help keep things updated. I wouldn't let it fade away, at least until TPTB post all the icons or you find someone with a website that does as good a job and will be able to keep it up.

Some are missing (there's no 137.jpg for example, but there is a 137.gif [earthcaches]... 138.jpg is German coin), but it seems it would be easier to maintain than chasing down codes. If you see a new icon, right-click it, get the image path, and link it. Getting it started might take a few minutes to build the page but after that it should be pretty smooth.

Wow. :lol:

That's cool! :lol:

Very nice. I think that would do the trick very well and let Webscouter keep up. As long as Groundspeak keeps up with the same naming convention or works with webscouter to make sure he's current.

It is a service to the community and a good one. I don't even collect Icons and like that it's there.

Some are missing (there's no 137.jpg for example, but there is a 137.gif [earthcaches]... 138.jpg is German coin), but it seems it would be easier to maintain than chasing down codes.  If you see a new icon, right-click it, get the image path, and link it.  Getting it started might take a few minutes to build the page but after that it should be pretty smooth.

:rolleyes:

Very nice. I think that would do the trick very well and let Webscouter keep up. As long as Groundspeak keeps up with the same naming convention or works with webscouter to make sure he's current.

It is a service to the community and a good one. I don't even collect Icons and like that it's there.

Its not a service to the community. Its only a service to those that care about icons or what they look like. That is hardly the entire community.

Some are missing (there's no 137.jpg for example, but there is a 137.gif [earthcaches]... 138.jpg is German coin), but it seems it would be easier to maintain than chasing down codes.  If you see a new icon, right-click it, get the image path, and link it.  Getting it started might take a few minutes to build the page but after that it should be pretty smooth.

Its not a service to the community. Its only a service to those that care about icons or what they look like. That is hardly the entire community.

Maybe not, but it is A community, and one that I am part of.

So, it is a service to us, and I for one appreciate the h$%@ out of it!

And that is perfectly fine. I liked the icon page myself. It simply helps to remember that the coin community is only a part of the Geocaching community and not the whole thing. This will help people understand that if Groundspeak does not quickly jump through hoops for the coin community it may be that they are busy working for the community as a whole.

Edited by LaPaglia
This will help people understand that if Groundspeak does not quickly jump through hoops for the coin community it may be that they are busy working for the community as a whole.

Judging by the recent update to the coin tracking policy I'd say that Groundspeak already is jumping through hoops for the geocoin community.

And that is perfectly fine. I liked the icon page myself. It simply helps to remember that the coin community is only a part of the Geocaching community and not the whole thing. This will help people understand that if Groundspeak does not quickly jump through hoops for the coin community it may be that they are busy working for the community as a whole.

I don't think that any of us here think we are representative of the entire geocaching community. Well...at least most of the time we don't. :unsure:

However, we do feel we are representative of the MAJORITY of the membership in this particular forum. Hence, most of the discussions in this forum center around our small little world of coins and related ideas.

When we want to broaden our horizons, we generally venture out into other forums to see what the rest of us are really up to.

This will help people understand that if Groundspeak does not quickly jump through hoops for the coin community it may be that they are busy working for the community as a whole.

Judging by the recent update to the coin tracking policy I'd say that Groundspeak already is jumping through hoops for the geocoin community.

The key word is quickly. It always amusing when something becomes an idea that Groundspeak just HAS to do and it doesn't happen instantly. People get bent out of shape. The "TPTB" don't care or all the other stuff they love to complain about. The policy you speak of did not happen over night. It took a lot of time and effort from many people to get it decided and worded properly. I am only saying, and perhaps not very well, that any new idea if accepted takes time and people need to learn to wait. Just because nothing is said doesn't mean that nothing is being done.

Exactly.

This is the main reason I discounted that as an option when I made my suggestion. Having someone at Groundspeak maintain a page of (what will likely be hundreds before we know it) icons is too much to ask.

In response to RK and the naming convention, I went back and saw some are .gif, some are .jpg so I just added them manually. Not sure why some were .jpg and some were .gif, but if this is a project that webscouter./Icon SP wants to tackle, this seems to be the easiest way.

Exactly.

This is the main reason I discounted that as an option when I made my suggestion. Having someone at Groundspeak maintain a page of (what will likely be hundreds before we know it) icons is too much to ask.

In response to RK and the naming convention, I went back and saw some are .gif, some are .jpg so I just added them manually. Not sure why some were .jpg and some were .gif, but if this is a project that webscouter./Icon SP wants to tackle, this seems to be the easiest way.

Thank you. Someone got it :unsure:

IMHO for the amount of money Groundspeak is making off of coin trackability, it doesn't seem like a major project to list a page with the icons. They make $150 for the icon and $1.50 per coin to have it tracked. The icon is supplied to them. They add it to the tracking pages. What's a few more minutes to simply post it to a collections page? For the amount of money they are making off of it I don't think it's too much to ask to have the site supply a legend for the icons on their site. It will help new people to know what icon is what as well. Just my thoughts.

IMHO for the amount of money Groundspeak is making off of coin trackability, it doesn't seem like a major project to list a page with the icons. They make $150 for the icon and $1.50 per coin to have it tracked. The icon is supplied to them. They add it to the tracking pages. What's a few more minutes to simply post it to a collections page? For the amount of money they are making off of it I don't think it's too much to ask to have the site supply a legend for the icons on their site. It will help new people to know what icon is what as well. Just my thoughts.

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

so true.... who said that orginally anyways?

so true.... who said that orginally anyways?

I think it was a friend of mine from work.

He remembers when it started raining. :rolleyes:

Isn't this considered to be a personal attack on ones character? I thought this was against policy??

Isn't this considered to be a personal attack on ones character? I thought this was against policy??

I sure am glad he is "one of the guys that makes sure you guys can play your games the way you like. Within the published guidelines.". What an example he has set.

dadgum rude if you ask me.

PAv.gif

Since this is getting so far off topic I will close it if it continues down this path.

I was looking for help keeping up the Icon profile. I am willing to create a webpage that does the same thing if I can create one that I like. And if I feel that it is something that is helpful. I did not originally create the profile to show all the coin icons and with the new additions it will be next to impossible to keep up.

So if you have some ideas as to how to make this something that people use and still be current I'm open for suggestions. If it continues to degrade I'll just do what I want to.

Since this is getting so far off topic I will close it if it continues down this path.

I was looking for help keeping up the Icon profile. I am willing to create a webpage that does the same thing if I can create one that I like. And if I feel that it is something that is helpful. I did not originally create the profile to show all the coin icons and with the new additions it will be next to impossible to keep up.

So if you have some ideas as to how to make this something that people use and still be current I'm open for suggestions. If it continues to degrade I'll just do what I want to.

Maybe what Robert put together and the thoughts that you have can be combined into one project. I really think that there is potential for this away from the actual SP Account. Don't give up on the great project you have started.

The Quote is from Sidney J. Harris.

Arrogance like Ignorance is not an insult. Ignorance is simply not knowing and Arrogance is Human nature. It is not an insult. It is a result of beint right at least once in your life and remembering that fact. If Arrogance were a crime I would have been in jail by the time I was 16.

No insult intended. The quote fit the circumstances.

I am not going to lock this thread. It still needs discussion. We just need to get it back on topic. Webscouter started a project when he made a profile page to show people what icons they could go for. Now that Groundspeak is allowing icons for more and more trackable coins, including personals coins, it is going to be quite a workload to keep up with it. Robert came up with an idea, and I think this thread should be left open for more ideas. Webscouter probably had no idea what he was getting himself into! :D You guys asked for the icons, you got them, and now we just have no idea how many there will be!

Maybe what Robert put together and the thoughts that you have can be combined into one project. I really think that there is potential for this away from the actual SP Account. Don't give up on the great project you have started.

I agree. This really should not be impossible to keep up with in the long run. Groundspeak has to keep and track of all these icons one way or another. If may take permission but you may be able to plug into that way and even automate your page to an extent.

As a side discussion I do think there are built in limits. Do we need more than one Icon for each state, and each cacher? That's a decision that Groundspeak will tackle soon enough.

The problem is still that someone has to keep up with all the new icons coming out. Now that GC.com is allowing separate icons for the personal coins, it could involve a huge time commitment to track down all the icons and add them to the page. I like the page you did Robert, but that would take even more time - especially if you want to try to keep them in alphabetical order.

The problem is still that someone has to keep up with all the new icons coming out. Now that GC.com is allowing separate icons for the personal coins, it could involve a huge time commitment to track down all the icons and add them to the page. I like the page you did Robert, but that would take even more time - especially if you want to try to keep them in alphabetical order.

I think there is potential to automate it. It would take datascraping (and permission) but the icons are tied to new geocoins and geocoins come out in some kind of sequence. Plus as robert noted the numers of the grapics tend to increment by 1 each time.

HTML tables can be automated as well. This is all beyond my skill though.