5 Gallon Bucket

CamoCachers

were about to place a cache to celebrate our 200th find. we wanna do something different. we have lots of 5 gallon buckets and we think it would be awesome to hide a cache that big. weve placed a few so far but use ammo cans/decon containers. using a new container, we have 2 concerns

first is the watertightness of the containers. the ones we have used to have laundry detergent in them. the lids seem to make a very tight seal. theyre fairly hard to pry off with bear hands. does anyone have actual experience with these? do they leak?

second, and the bigger concern. especially with the post thats going on elsewhere in this forum discussing discarded meth lab materials. which mentions buckets and coolers as main things to look out for. as long as we have the container clearly marked as a geocache, does anyone see a problem with using a 5 gallon bucket?

I have found a few 5-gallon bucket caches. One of the problems is the deep indentation in the lid. It accumulates dirt and debris which seems to fall into the cache when people lift the lid. :(

Also, one of the buckets had gotten wet inside and had a strong smell of mold. It might have gotten water inside if the person lifting the lid wasn't careful and there was water on the lid . . . or if the lid wasn't put on really tight.

Hiding a bucket will be a challenge . . . the ones I found were . . . :cool:buried. :huh:

Go to the hardware store in the drywall section and look for a lid lifter. This will help open the container. If it is anything like a drywall bucket it will be a pain to get the lid off. I have peeled a couple of nails back (very painful) trying to get the lids off. I have one I will be putting out soon. I tested mine by filling it full of water then placing the lid on and turning it upside down for 24 hours - lid did not come off and no leaks. The bucket I have was a food service bucket with a rubber "O ring" gasket. No food in it just an empty bucket.

were about to place a cache to celebrate our 200th find. we wanna do something different. we have lots of 5 gallon buckets and we think it would be awesome to hide a cache that big. weve placed a few so far but use ammo cans/decon containers. using a new container, we have 2 concerns

first is the watertightness of the containers. the ones we have used to have laundry detergent in them. the lids seem to make a very tight seal. theyre fairly hard to pry off with bear hands.

That's a good thing. You don't want bears getting into your caches, after all ;-)

first is the watertightness of the containers. the ones we have used to have laundry detergent in them. the lids seem to make a very tight seal. theyre fairly hard to pry off with bear hands.

That's a good thing. You don't want bears getting into your caches, after all ;-)

At least they would be clean bears!

I've yet to actually see a 5 gallon cache but I look forward to finding my first one! Also have a good idea of where to hide one of my own when I get around to it.

If I remember correctly, you mentioned you would be in the Casper area over Thanksgiving. If so, there is our Mardi Gras Cache up on the mountain. Granted, there will likely be snow out that way, but still should be accessible with a bit of a hike. As an aside, we will be out of state for the next week and a half starting tonight, so our temp. disabled caches won't be up (I need to rebuild containers and need time to do that) - so you will need to visit again later in the winter when I do have them back in action.

The Five Gallon Bucket, in Hugh Jazz's world, is a Medium-sized Container. I use 50-cal Ammo cans for my Micros.

I provided the design specifications for 35 mm Mega-Micro (GCQX2R) in Austin, it's a 5-gallon bucket painted Black with a Grey lid. Inside is one of those industrial rolls of restroom paper towel material, and a 'pencil' made from half a baseball bat. It's a Hugh Jazz sized micro!

just try the bathtub test. Throw some paper towels inside, fill your tub and sink the container in it. If the contents are still dry the next day then you have a good container.

Wouldnt it float? You would have to wedge it somehow.

I have never found a 5 gal bucket. Sounds like fun though. You could put at least 100 Mac Donalds toys in it. :anitongue: