Spot The Mistake & Win An El Diablo Hiking Staff

CYBret

In order to participate, a GPS unit is required, and Holman said you get what you pay for, adding the higher priced models produce better results.

Some have proved that a GPS is not required and most will agree that until you get into the commercial grade units that cost thousands, money doesn't equate accuracy.

Holman said rules of geocaching require that you put something into the hidden spot, or cache, before you remove something from a secret location.

I didn't know we were required to do it in a certain order...and how is it secret if the coordinates are posted on the Internet?

Edited by briansnat
The GPS satelites are monitered by the five stations. :)

Do those 5 stations keep the satalites programmed and updated? I assume they need it continously due to variations in orbit and other things that happen?

Yes. They are responsible for making sure that the time is set correctly among other things.

El Diablo

This is my favorite "You can use these signals to find and relocate spots you have marked."

Can somebody tell me how to activate that feature with a Legend? It would be so convenient to just relocate the spot where you parked the car to wherever you are now, wouldn't it?

Jan

This is my favorite "You can use these signals to find and relocate spots you have marked."

Can somebody tell me how to activate that feature with a Legend? It would be so convenient to just relocate the spot where you parked the car to wherever you are now, wouldn't it?

Jan

Please tell me that you forgot your ironic smiley.

Jan

:lol::)

But would the car relocate with the spot you parked it on? :laughing:

Edited by Stunod

Jan

What is a smiley?

Jan

Jan

What is a smiley?

Jan

:):):lol::lol::):laughing::):):(:lol::)

^ Smilies ^

Jan

What is a smiley?

Jan

:):):lol::lol::):laughing::):):(:lol::)

^ Smilies ^

Why are they called smiley if most of them don't smile? And no, I am not pulling your leg - really B)

Jan

2ce4f783-6f08-40a0-9e4b-e54bfcfdd680.jpg

Poorly formatted HTML on the newspaper's page?

Holman explained that 24 satellites situated in space operate the Global Positioning System.

24 started it, there's more now.

The satellites send signals in sound and light waves to five machines located around the earth," Holman said. "You can use these signals to find and relocate spots you have marked."

OK, sound waves? Betty Lou! Hush up! My GPS can hear the satellites, and there's already 20,000 miles of space in between us and them. I guess the sound waves are for REALLY slow moving GPS units.

The GPS is connected to the Internet through the Global Positioning Information System

Already pointed out...

In order to participate, a GPS unit is required

Tell that to Webling

put something into the hidden spot, or cache, before you remove something from a secret location.

I hope they're not advocating removing the entire container and putting a new container in...? :D

Holman said caches might be hidden on land, both above and below ground,

ACK!

nestled inside a plastic bucket concealed within the cache

And here I always thought the bucket WAS the cache.

All you really need to know is to turn the GPS unit on, push 'go to' and a compass will appear

Scotty must beam that compass down from the bridge of the Enterprise. Push Go To where?

If the arrow is not moving, you need to walk around a bit so the satellite will pick you up.

Ah, I see.

Scotty beams you back up to the satellite.

scatter6qi.gif

This post is dedicated to the memory of James Doohan (1920-2005)

scotty.gif

"All you really need to know is to turn the GPS unit on, push 'go to' and a compass will appear," Holman said.

Are you serious!?!? And to think I've been spending all this time entering waypoints into my Legend by hand since I lost my data cable. B):rolleyes:

"Then follow the arrow and the unit will tell you when you are approaching a landmark.

Hmm... I've never heard my Legend say anything. And it's not really landmarks I'm looking for... it's caches. I wonder when it's going to tell me I'm approaching a cache...

If the arrow is not moving, you need to walk around a bit so the satellite will pick you up."

Well, I hope the arrow doesn't stop moving just as I'm locating a cache! I'd hate to be whisked away by a satellite just as I was about to retrieve a cache from it's hiding place. But I would like to have the option of making the arrow stand still so the satellite could pick me up and take me back to my car after I've logged the cache! :anibad:;):PB)

"All you really need to know is to turn the GPS unit on, push 'go to' and a compass will appear," Holman said.

Are you serious!?!? And to think I've been spending all this time entering waypoints into my Legend by hand since I lost my data cable. :lol::)

"Then follow the arrow and the unit will tell you when you are approaching a landmark.

Hmm... I've never heard my Legend say anything. And it's not really landmarks I'm looking for... it's caches. I wonder when it's going to tell me I'm approaching a cache...

If the arrow is not moving, you need to walk around a bit so the satellite will pick you up."

Well, I hope the arrow doesn't stop moving just as I'm locating a cache! I'd hate to be whisked away by a satellite just as I was about to retrieve a cache from it's hiding place. But I would like to have the option of making the arrow stand still so the satellite could pick me up and take me back to my car after I've logged the cache! :lol::lol::):)

B) Put it on the ground and kick it.

Then it will crawl in the correct direction. :lol:

The below information comes from http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/n.../gps/gps_f.html

I have used it for my 5/6 grade geography class

The nominal GPS Operational Constellation consists of 24 satellites that orbit the earth in 12 hours. There are often more than 24 operational satellites as new ones are launched to replace older satellites. The satellite orbits repeat almost the same ground track (as the earth turns beneath them) once each day. You can find a picture of the 6 orbital planes.

Map of Orbital Planes

There are 5 ground tracking stations on earth (maybe that is what he was referring to?) The Master Control facility is located at Schriever Air Force Base (formerly Falcon AFB) in Colorado. These monitor stations measure signals from the SVs (satellite vehicles) which are incorporated into orbital models for each satellites. The models compute precise orbital data (ephemeris) and SV clock corrections for each satellite. The Master Control station uploads ephemeris and clock data to the SVs. The SVs then send subsets of the orbital ephemeris data to GPS receivers over radio signals.

Tracking Stations on Map

and

Data Exchange