Did I Screw Up Or What!

So I hide this cache this weekend and I get this email today:

Hi

>

>In case you don't know, we have had idiots looking for their treasure on the NEW ball fields at Gunn Park.  One of these people have already succome to pulling up bases and prepared to start digging up the new infield.  We have put countless hours in getting these ball fields to being the best in the state and we don't need them destroyed.  We are now waiting for the next person to come out there and start their vandalism so we can call the sheriff's office and have them put in jail for vandalism and trespassing on Little League property.

>

>Please stop these lunitics before one of them ends up in the slammer.  Please take your treasure hunt somewhere else.

>

>Thanks

The individual sending it did not identify him/herself or leave me any contact info. So I replied with this message:

Hi,

I am very sorry to hear that someone has done this.  I take full responsibility for the placement of the geocache and I have made it unavailable on the website.  This alone should stop anyone else from seeking the geocache.  I will remove the geocache as soon as I receive a response from you so that I won't be mistaken for someone seeking the cache and have the sheriff called on me.  If there is ANYTHING else I can do to correct this problem, do not hesitate to let me know. 

Once again, I placed the cache all in the name of harmless fun and I have never had any problems with the small number of caches I have placed elsewhere.  I did not anticipate that someone would do the types of things you described to search for the cache.  Please share my apologies with anyone else who was affected by the damage. 

and included my name and contact information. I haven't received a reply yet.

I should mention that the stage being referred to by the author of the letter is the first stage of a 4 part (3 micros, 1 regular) cache. It was a matchstick container dangled by a piece of fishing line down the hollow part of the cinder blocks that support the dugout. Extremely inconspicuous and quite a way from first base. I am certain that very few cachers, let alone people using the park/ballfield would have ever noticed the micro had the incident not occurred.

Anyway, now I'm kind of nervous to head to the park and remove the stages of the cache because I really don't want to deal with a confrontation, especially if this person(s) was upset enough to threaten calling the sheriff before even getting correspondence from me. I honestly thought the park was just a regular old city park--it's open to anyone. I guess I just wait for a reply from this person and then go get the cache. It's too bad, I put a ton of time into this one.

You have just learned one of the lessons of geocaching. Always allow for the people who will look for the cache. If you make it too hard they will do things like you just read about. If the area can't not take that kind of hunting then it's best to stick to a super easy cache or try another spot.

You should go remove your cache.

You have just learned one of the lessons of geocaching.  Always allow for the people who will look for the cache.  If you make it too hard they will do things like you just read about.  If the area can't not take that kind of hunting then it's best to stick to a super easy cache or try another spot.

You should go remove your cache.

In broad daylight with some friends.

Edit: Sounds like a really cool cache. Ya gotta have permission.

If you have already obtained permission and the person who sent the email did not identify themselves, you could just as easily turn over the email to the sherriff as a threat. (What with calling you an idiot and the mis-spelled words and all). Probably not worth the trouble.

:rolleyes:

Edited by tabulator32

Does little leage have property? Here it's city ballfields intended for multi purpose recreation. That means you really can't be tresspassing unless you are out after posted hours. If you are dumb enough to vandalize the property they could absolutly pick you up for that.

The person who emailed is not speaking with authority, they are likely exagerating but they are interested and they are annoyed.

One more comment. Unless you go out and verify the damage, then confirm it's geocachers don't pin the blame on geocaching. Especially in your note on your cache page. Give geocachers the benefit of the doubt especially from a blind contact.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Quoting Renegade Knight:

Unless you go out and verify the damage, then confirm it's geocachers don't pin the blame on geocaching. Especially in your note on your cache page. Give geocachers the benefit of the doubt especially from a blind contact.

You make a good point, RK.  My note does imply blame.  I have edited it.  I found the website for Gunn Park:

GUNN PARK : Gunn Park is a highly developed model community park located north of Grand Rapids along Highway 38, the Edge of the Wilderness National Scenic Byway.  It is located on the shores of Prairie Lake in Arbo Township .  This park was developed and managed by the Blandin Paper Company in the 1960’s.  Itasca Little League, who retained ownership of the baseball fields, donated the park property to Itasca County in 2003.  Gunn Park encompasses 50 acres of red and white pine, spruce, and aspen forest.

Park facilities include: 

PAVILION: Gunn Park has a beautiful stone and wood pavilion that can be reserved for large group activities.  It is an open-air facility with a built in fireplace and numerous picnic tables. 

PICNIC AREA: The Park is equipped with several picnic tables providing a large day use area for families and individuals.  A small set of playground equipment is also located near the picnic area and pavilion.  Large pine trees, benches, and flowerbeds frame the scenic setting. 

FISHING PIER: A fishing pier is located in the park providing users with a facility for fishing in the lake. 

BALLFIELDS: Several baseball and softball fields are located in this park.  The Little League organization will take ownership and management of these facilities.  A cooperative agreement will be worked out between the Park System and Little League in 2002. 

OTHER: Other facilities located in Gunn Park include modern flush toilets and a large parking area.  The Blandin Paper Company included several experimental plots of evergreen trees in the park during the 1960’s.  These plots of trees will need to be inventoried and evaluated as a part of the park planning process. 

It appears that the park is owned by the county but the ballfields are owned by Little League. :rolleyes:

Edited by dingermcduff
...It appears that the park is owned by the county but the ballfields are owned by Little League.  :rolleyes:

Maybe they did speak with some authority. But I still doubt it, people in authority usually use their names. At least now you know who does have the authority. If the agreement went though.

Edited by Renegade Knight

They're not speaking with authority, but it's certainly within the rights of private citizens to report vandalism when/if they see it. I'm not sure about the whole "camping out and waiting for the next guy to come along" thing. That certainly sounds a bit threatening.

In any case, how do they have proof that Geocachers are doing this? I think it's equally likely that it was just done by someone looking to cause trouble. I guess the ball fields aren't public property anymore so you'll need to remove the cache anyways, but it seems to me that these guys are jumping to conclusions.

Perhaps they're just looking for something to get riled up about since softball/baseball is so boring :rolleyes:

Boy, those micros... I just don't know. People are sensitive about thier stuff. Somebody thinks the ball field belongs to them. Like they're going to have hundreds of little-leagers out there in cleets, sliding into home and tackling fly balls and keep the place pristine.

It is most likely that the person sending the email (anonymously- no less) is overreacting. Nevertheless, it seems you tread into thier kingdom.

Obviously the person contacting you was not the person you you got permission from to place the cache on the grounds?

Why would anyone seek permission to place a cache on public property? When your kids use play equipment do you first seek a letter from some faceless authority allowing them to use the equipment?

When you walk along a trail do you seek out the identity of the owner of the trail before walking along it?

Private property yes, public property no, unless there is county or state legislation to consider.

If a particular cache attracts idiots for whatever reason it is probably best to archive and remove it, but sometimes I think cachers are a bunch of sissies that invite trouble upon themselves by being too timid.

Asking permission to use public land for harmless purposes? Please.

Recently I was appalled at a public playground I took my kid to. There weretrash cans all over yet there was litter scattered about the area. What kind of irresponsible jerk would litter 10' away from a trash can?!?!?!?!

There are all kinds in this world. The minority of idiots do not present any reason for the rest of us to beg permission to engage in harmless activities. Asking invites a 'no!'.

I don't intend to ask the park and rec department for permission to have my kid use the play equipment any more than I plan to ask anyone for permission to hide or seek a small container on public land.

The idiot in question is simply an idiot and not reresentative of cachers as a whole. It is about time cachers stopped pleading with idiot regulators for permission to engage in harmless activities. Doing so seems to have had unitended consequences in that legislators are now demanding we take responsibility for the irresponsible or lose "privelleges" to use public land.

Sometimes trying to be accomodating bites you in the butt.

Obviously the person contacting you was not the person you you got permission from to place the cache on the grounds?

Why would anyone seek permission to place a cache on public property? When your kids use play equipment do you first seek a letter from some faceless authority allowing them to use the equipment?

When you walk along a trail do you seek out the identity of the owner of the trail before walking along it?

Private property yes, public property no, unless there is county or state legislation to consider.

If a particular cache attracts idiots for whatever reason it is probably best to archive and remove it, but sometimes I think cachers are a bunch of sissies that invite trouble upon themselves by being too timid.

Asking permission to use public land for harmless purposes? Please.

Recently I was appalled at a public playground I took my kid to. There weretrash cans all over yet there was litter scattered about the area. What kind of irresponsible jerk would litter 10' away from a trash can?!?!?!?!

There are all kinds in this world. The minority of idiots do not present any reason for the rest of us to beg permission to engage in harmless activities. Asking invites a 'no!'.

I don't intend to ask the park and rec department for permission to have my kid use the play equipment any more than I plan to ask anyone for permission to hide or seek a small container on public land.

The idiot in question is simply an idiot and not reresentative of cachers as a whole. It is about time cachers stopped pleading with idiot regulators for permission to engage in harmless activities. Doing so seems to have had unitended consequences in that legislators are now demanding we take responsibility for the irresponsible or lose "privelleges" to use public land.

Sometimes trying to be accomodating bites you in the butt.

I whole-heartedly agree with you! Even if there were legislation, I think it would be time for the people to take back the land. The overlegislated swamp I live in has fences around patches of weeds. They let all the land grow wild, with no development, no grooming, no clearing and no care given to the land at all. So the place just bursts into flame 4 times a year. It's all in the name of preservation, but the forestry department spends all thier time and money fighting with legislators to let them actually preserve these places, by cutting down some trees, clearing the brush, and doing some planting.

Ok people, how tough is this. A cache was hidden and it was asked to be removed, time to remove it until calmer heads can prevail. You'd rather the police show up and charge a cacher with tresspassing. Of course this won't be of any concern to those you who feel "they can take my tupperware away only out of my cold lifeless hands", as most of us do not live in the area. But it will impct someone who seeks this cache. Of course we can tell them that the land is ours and have another South Carolina on our hands.

I seriously doubt that this was done by a geocacher. One person that logged a DNF didn't even look for it, the other, with 185 finds, should know better than to wreck the place. I would make it very clear that you've contacted the people that searched for the cache and they are NOT the ones responsible for the damage. It's important that these people understand that we are not a bunch of silly kids running around vandalizing parks. You never know, one of these little league parents could be a town legislator or county executive. If their impression of geocaching is that it causes damage this little problem might spread to county and state parks as well.

They're not speaking with authority, but it's certainly within the rights of private citizens to report vandalism when/if they see it. I'm not sure about the whole "camping out and waiting for the next guy to come along" thing. That certainly sounds a bit threatening.

In any case, how do they have proof that Geocachers are doing this? I think it's equally likely that it was just done by someone looking to cause trouble. I guess the ball fields aren't public property anymore so you'll need to remove the cache anyways, but it seems to me that these guys are jumping to conclusions.

Perhaps they're just looking for something to get riled up about since softball/baseball is so boring :o

It is threatening and it was meant to be threatening. Very helpful in a civilized world.

Disabling the cache was wise. However, I would be positively gobsmacked if a geocacher really was pulling up bases and preparing to dig up the infield, and the whole tone of the message you got was unnecessarily unpleasant.

I think I'd forward the original email to whoever appears to be the local contact for the Little League, along with your message of polite apology. No need for further remark, as the emailer makes himself look like a nutjob. Or "lunitic" as he might say. Just get it in the record.

Disabling the cache was wise. However, I would be positively gobsmacked if a geocacher really was pulling up bases and preparing to dig up the infield, and the whole tone of the message you got was unnecessarily unpleasant.

Most bases have a 2" x 2" square peg on the bottom that goes into a slightly larger square hole in the ground. It actually wouldn't be a bad place to hide a cache. Personally, if the GPS brought me to the area, I'd probably pull up a base to check. Its not a big deal, as they are supposed to come out easily so people sliding into them don't break an ankle. Pulling it up does no harm whatsoever.

Now someone digging up the infield is a different story. I too would be gobsmacked if that happened, but I doubt it did.

Edited by briansnat

Because that's the way geocaching is? You ask permission, you place a cache. Very simple.

When you go to a park, they've given permission for you to come in, use the grounds temporarily, and then leave WITH EVERYTHING YOU BROUGHT WITH YOU. In order to GeoCache, you have to leave a container somewhere in the park. Many Parks require permits. Either for use or just for caching. I have a cache permit for one of my caches. It's not a big deal.

Because that's the way geocaching is? You ask permission, you place a cache. Very simple.

... I have a cache permit for one of my caches. It's not a big deal.

I think that you will find that many geocachers don't agree with you completely. Certainly, if a park has regulations that require a permit, it should be obtained. However, many would agree that if no such regulations exist, requesting permission is not required for placing the cache in a public park.

Most bases have a 2" x 2" square peg on the bottom that goes into a slightly larger square hole in the ground. It actually wouldn't be a bad place to hide a cache. Personally, if the GPS brought me to the area, I'd probably pull up a base to check. Its not a big deal, as they are supposed to come out easily so people sliding into them don't break an ankle. Pulling it up does no harm whatsoever. ...

I've pulled up a base on a few occasions looking for hard micros. There was no harm done.

I wonder how you would know that someone was preparing to dig up the infield? That is, assuming that they weren't carrying a shovel or driving a backhoe. :o

Really?

Any cache within the city limits of Ashtabula Township, Ohio, permission has to be obtained for - not a permit, just permission - whether it's a public park or not with the city.

Here in central tennessee there's a city that you have to point out your cache on a huge map located at the police station.

And lets not forget the GEOCACHING GUIDELINES

If you place the cache on public lands you need to contact the managing agency to find out about their rules.

I'm sure if you needed more examples people could point them out to you.

Because that's the way geocaching is?  You ask permission, you place a cache.  Very simple. 

...  I have a cache permit for one of my caches.  It's not a big deal.

I think that you will find that many geocachers don't agree with you completely. Certainly, if a park has regulations that require a permit, it should be obtained. However, many would agree that if no such regulations exist, requesting permission is not required for placing the cache in a public park.

Funny, but that statement didn't work with a County land manager responsible for 6 parks in my area. GC.com states clearly that you should get permission before hiding a cache. The land manager was pissed with the fact that no one contacted him or anyone who worked for him to hide caches. The manager came very close to banning Geocaching.

Fly46 hit the nail on the head, park activities involve you using the park and then taking everything you brought in with you out of the park when you are done.

Edited by magellan315

How would Bob have known in the first place about a cache being there if he didn't talk to someone and ask what the heck they were doing? I seriously doubt anyone was going to dig up the infield, but he must have gotten info that there was a cache from somewhere.

Maybe the cache stage wasn't hidden very well and Bob found it and made assumptions about people digging for it. Maybe someone dropped the printout from the cache page by accident and he read it and just made assumptions? Maybe someone totally new to Geocahing who doesn't understand wasn't being so discreet and Bob talked to him?

Really?  ...

I'm sure if you needed more examples people could point them out to you.

You caught me. You're right, of course. Where I wrote this:

Certainly, if a park has regulations that require a permit, it should be obtained. However, many would agree that if no such regulations exist, requesting permission is not required for placing the cache in a public park.

I should have written this:

Certainly, if a park has regulations that require permission, it should be obtained. However, many would agree that if no such regulations exist, requesting permission is not required for placing the cache in a public park.

So now we are in perfect agreement, right?

Edited by sbell111

I had a cache that was in a public area, but there was a neighbor that felt that cachers had been hurting the spot. I find the whole thing highly unlikely, but after long agonizing (cause it is a really cool spot), I finally archived the cache. Part of my decision was based on this thread, and the threads on cemetary caching. If neighbors and others are getting so worked up over it, the cache is not worth it, cause it's only a game. If I were more outgoing, I would think of talking to this neighbor, or talk to some property owners nearby, but unfortunately I am chicken, so I just archived it. That's the way the cookie crumbles. :o

There was a cache like that in this area. Even though it was in a public park, a neighbor didn't like "strangers" coming to the area.

He put dog poop in the emptied cache container. :o

The cache owner, who placed the cache as a Girl Scout project, archived the cache.

I hope they have better luck with their next project . . .

Here in central tennessee there's a city that you have to point out your cache on a huge map located at the police station. 

Slightly OT, but why do I suspect this is the town we were run out of at 11 pm after GW2 last year? :o

PS my log is just below Paint's on the cache page, but he was far more articulate. :(

Nope, its not Franklin. At least, I have never had to point any of mine out on a map. I wandered about on MTGC's site, but didn't see anything about this requirement.

Sorry that you had trouble with our police. Strangely, one of the reasons we moved here was because the police were friendly, professional, yet diligent.

So, anyone have any thoughts on how I handled this one? I'm still a little nervous (maybe because this is the first cache I've hidden that was in a maintained area). Here is the listing after I enabled it:

dingermcduff's multi-micro puzzle challenge

I don't think Bob could have any issues at this point. I also don't see how the county can have any problems either, but who knows?

One thing I have wondered about is how Bob contacted me in the first place. All of the stages were still in place when I returned, so he didn't find one. It was pretty apparent that he didn't know anything about geocaching. The only thing I can figure is that he stopped someone who was hunting for the cache and they told him how to contact me.

Then that makes me wonder what cacher it was. There were only 2 logs on my cache at the time: One from someone who never got to try it because the fields were being used and one from a cacher who is a good friend and would have shared this information with me, not to mention he looked for the cache a couple of times after it was archived (per our arrangement since he had already completed the offending stage.) I guess someone didn't log their encounter? <_<

So I hide this cache this weekend and I get this email today:

Hi

>

>In case you don't know, we have had idiots looking for their treasure on the NEW ball fields at Gunn Park.  One of these people have already succome to pulling up bases and prepared to start digging up the new infield.  We have put countless hours in getting these ball fields to being the best in the state and we don't need them destroyed.  We are now waiting for the next person to come out there and start their vandalism so we can call the sheriff's office and have them put in jail for vandalism and trespassing on Little League property.

>

>Please stop these lunitics before one of them ends up in the slammer.  Please take your treasure hunt somewhere else.

>

>Thanks

The individual sending it did not identify him/herself or leave me any contact info. So I replied with this message:

Hi,

I am very sorry to hear that someone has done this.  I take full responsibility for the placement of the geocache and I have made it unavailable on the website.  This alone should stop anyone else from seeking the geocache.  I will remove the geocache as soon as I receive a response from you so that I won't be mistaken for someone seeking the cache and have the sheriff called on me.  If there is ANYTHING else I can do to correct this problem, do not hesitate to let me know. 

Once again, I placed the cache all in the name of harmless fun and I have never had any problems with the small number of caches I have placed elsewhere.  I did not anticipate that someone would do the types of things you described to search for the cache.  Please share my apologies with anyone else who was affected by the damage. 

and included my name and contact information. I haven't received a reply yet.

Ding, based on the emails you shared, my own sense is that your response to Bob and how you handled the situation overall, was very appropriate and exemplary, and based on Bob's response back to you ("Thanking you for taking care of this"), that he also appreciated your consideration and understanding of the unanticipated problem that your original cache placement caused.

It really doesn't matter, I don't think, whether Bob is an "official authority" relative to the Park or Little league, or if Bob knows how to spell or use his spell-checker. Even if Bob is just a dedicated volunteer or involved parent, trying to make and sustain an optimal ballfield and good experience for the kids in his community, then that is admirable and should be encouraged and supported. If Bob and possibly other parents or volunteers who put in work on this ball diamond were frustrated by wayward geocache-hunters tearing up their work, he handled it in as direct and forthright a manner as he could: he brought it to your attention directly, aksed you to take care of it, and you did, and he thanked you for doing so.

Vandalism predates geocaching by many thousands of years.

Especially in areas where adolescents congregate.

My opinion is that a threat such as you received should be forwarded to whatever police department has juridiction.

Many times a threat is violence waiting to happen.

1. It probably was a cacher, or you wouldn't have gotten an email. The cacher probably 'explained' geocaching to whoever asked him/her what they were doing. (I always say 'scavenger hunt'.)

2. In many cases it's a good idea to qualify a stage of a multi or a final with "don't look here" instructions. In CA, for example, we often say "don't look in the ivy," or "don't look in the poison oak," or "don't go down the hillside," or "don't go out onto the freeway and search in the traffic lanes." True, you're making the cache a little easier, but you usually wind up making the experience a little nicer and prevent certain sorts of inappropriate searching. In your case, for stage 1 I would have simply said "The cache is not on the ground."

So, should I have left the cache in the same park with the changes I noted above or am I still asking for trouble? I can't imagine this guy would care what was going on away from his fields if it wasn't bothering anyone, but then again if he sees people wandering around with GPSrs he might think the cache is still on Little League property--hopefully he would find his way to the cache listing before pestering anyone, but maybe not.

So, should I have left the cache in the same park with the changes I noted above or am I still asking for trouble? I can't imagine this guy would care what was going on away from his fields if it wasn't bothering anyone, but then again if he sees people wandering around with GPSrs he might think the cache is still on Little League property--hopefully he would find his way to the cache listing before pestering anyone, but maybe not.

I think if he has a problem with it he'll either find and steal the stage(s) or send another message.

He doesn't own the park, but neither you or whoever answers the phone at the parks dept want to receive their rants. Your doing the right thing trying to find a happy medium with the person.

So, should I have left the cache in the same park with the changes I noted above or am I still asking for trouble?

The guy already said that considered geocachers to be trespassers. Doesn't matter if the cache is in the outfield or stands. I think you're asking for trouble. Isn't there another park nearby that you can use?

I don't know though, he has a point with the trespassing if it's on Little League property, but there is nothing there anymore. Geocachers in the rest of the park are just citizens enjoying the park like anyone else, right? They just look more suspicious. If I was in the exact same location as any of my stages watching birds or looking for a lost frisbee I wouldn't be trespassing, why should a cacher be bothered?

I was in the exact same location as any of my stages watching birds or looking for a lost frisbee I wouldn't be trespassing, why should a cacher be bothered?

Is it fair? Absolutely not. But you heard from a representative that geocachers aren't welcome. You'd be wise to move on and try another park.