Where Should Gwiv Be Held?

Denver is centrally located in the U.S. and has 2400 caches within 100 miles of the city.

Transportation costs should factor in.

Every time I've checked, CO and TX were both fairly expensive airfare-wise. It's several hundred dollars cheaper for me to fly to the west coast, passing right over CO or TX, then it is to fly to either of those states.

The last 2 GW locations are both popular year round destinations with the resulting competition making for cheap airfare.

That said, they both those states have organizations that could pull a GW4 off.

Edited by Mopar

I tossed out the idea of Camp Glen Gray (N 41° 04.446 W 074° 13.588) in the other thread.

It's an old Boy Scout camp in NJ that can be rented in its entirity. It will accomodate several hundred people. In addition to 14 cabins that will house 195 people, there are several lean-tos, tent platforms and numerous "backcountry" camp sites. There is also a huge mess hall, bonfire area and amphitheater. There are also some major hotels within 15 minutes for those who aren't into rustic digs.

Though most of the nearby caches involve hiking and are 2.5 - 3.5 stars for terrain there are hundreds of caches within 20 miles.

If people think a huge campout in a place like this is something that should be pursued, I will look into it a bit deeper.

Every time I've checked, CO and TX were both fairly expensive airfare-wise. It's several hundred dollars cheaper for me to fly to the west coast, passing right over CO or TX, then it is to fly to either of those states.

The last 2 GW locations are both popular year round destinations with the resulting competition making for cheap airfare.

That's surprising to me. You can get direct flights from almost every major city to Dallas on American and the same for Denver on United. Both cities are major airline hubs and have numerous options for flights.

Denver is most definately a year round destination. Millions of tourists flock there in the winter and summer from around the world. I wouldn't exactly call Dallas a major year round destination but it's big enough to host an event.

I'm with the others that agree that we should move it west for once. I think Dallas, Kansas City, Denver, St. Louis, or even Chicago would be nice.

I'd offer up Tulsa but I have enough trouble organizing our statewide fall event which is around 100 people.

That's surprising to me. You can get direct flights from almost every major city to Dallas on American and the same for Denver on United. Both cities are major airline hubs and have numerous options for flights.

Denver is most definately a year round destination. Millions of tourists flock there in the winter and summer from around the world. I wouldn't exactly call Dallas a major year round destination but it's big enough to host an event.

I'm with the others that agree that we should move it west for once. I think Dallas, Kansas City, Denver, St. Louis, or even Chicago would be nice.

I'd offer up Tulsa but I have enough trouble organizing our statewide fall event which is around 100 people.

Surprises me too.

Just did a quick check on Travelocity.

Depart NYC on Friday July 15th, and return Sunday July 17th. Direct flights.

Denver lowest price was $324

Los Angeles was $221

Houston was $297 (wow, that one's come down a lot since last I looked!)

Seattle was $221 also

Last year the same type of community input was debated. It came down to the same thing as it does this time.

--JoGPS started GW, so it's his event to oversee in conjunction with the organizations he chooses.

--He uses past GW hosts to help select the next host. Thus, it begins as a committee event and becomes a community event after the site decision is made.

--Result: It may not seem fair or the best method to some, but he did create it and that appears to be the way he wants to run it. I'm recalling this from past threads and hope I'm not misrepresenting his thoughts. If so, I hope he'll correct me.

As I recall, NEFGA's GW3 committee welcomed volunteers and input once they were selected. My guess is that the GW4 folks will do the same. I sure hope I can go next year...Michigan, Texas, Washington, Colorado, New Jersey, or wherever.

edit: spelling

Edited by Teach2Learn

Next year is MiGO's turn to host the International Social. Since they're talking about something on a whole different scale and have quite a bit already into it, I think it's safe to scratch MI off the list.

The Midwest has it's own thing going on that everyone's invited to. If you're looking for a cheap weekend, you can't do much better. As far as I'm concerned GW can stay on a coast or down South. It's tradition that it's in a very cache-dense area with 100% guarantees on good weather. That said, there's no reason that it should be the only big event. It's not, by the way. :)

South Central Illinois town called Kansas, Illinois. Hey, I know a guy there named Cybret. He could host it all by himself.

One and a half baths and a fenced in back yard.

Oh, I still own the now illegal "Lawn Darts (aka "JARTS")" set

Feel free to check my references.

Bret

I hereby offer the services of the Greater Palm Springs Geocachers to host the event in the beautiful Coachella Valley. Tough desert hikes, power trails, heavy-duty off-roading, hundreds of urban park & grabs, you name it.

Prime advantage: Lots of caches. More importantly, it's close to me. Most important of all, I'm not a member of their group, so I wouldn't have to put forth any effort. :)

Because I feel its wrong to have the decision about such large event hosting so many people made by a couple people who feel they know whats best for the rest of us.

Edited by WH
Because I feel its wrong to have the decision about such large event hosting so many people made by a couple people who feel they know whats best for the rest of us.

It's THEIR freakin' baby. NOT YOURS. Sheesh! :):):)B):o:)

Edited by Snoogans
Because I feel its wrong to have the decision about such large ........ made by a couple people who feel they know whats best for the rest of us.

Oh, you mean the way Groundspeak sets the rules for cache listings :)

If you don't like it, then you host your own event, tailored to your own tastes and mores. Have it run by taking a "community" vote on everything and you'll see why somebody has to exercise some leadership and make some decisions on their own. I'm not sure of the number of people on the selection comittee but it's not just 2 people randomly making decisions. They are asking for peoples input (as whiney as it may be)

Let the flaming of my statements begin (all will be redirected to /dev/null :) so knock yourselves out ) :)

I've been to GW2 & GW3 and will try my best to attend GW4 no matter where it's held. Denver, Dallas, Seattle, CYBret's backyard, doesn't matter.

It's THEIR freakin' baby. NOT YOURS. Sheesh! :):):)B):o:)

Which brings me back to my original question. Why even ask for input then.?

You are really negative about everything. What's up with that?

I have one question. Have you ever attended a GW?

Have it run by taking a "community" vote on everything and you'll see why somebody has to exercise some leadership and make some decisions on their own.

Oh, boy. This is so true. Someone has to grasp the tail and face the situation from time to time. Organizing anything that involves the general public requires a thick skin and plenty of determination.

I'm just hopeful that I'll be able to attend GW4 this time around. If I was running it I would change it's focus but I ain't so I'll just see what develops. It does seem like a lot of fun, as was the original Woodstock in upstate New York.

Which I was at but I hardly remember it. :D

It's THEIR freakin' baby. NOT YOURS. Sheesh! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Which brings me back to my original question. Why even ask for input then.?

The organizers of the GeoWoodstock events did not ask for input. A regular geocacher did. It is a valid question, but the actual answer is:

Last year the same type of community input was debated. It came down to the same thing as it does this time.

--JoGPS started GW, so it's his event to oversee in conjunction with the organizations he chooses.

--He uses past GW hosts to help select the next host. Thus, it begins as a committee event and becomes a community event after the site decision is made.

--Result: It may not seem fair or the best method to some, but he did create it and that appears to be the way he wants to run it. I'm recalling this from past threads and hope I'm not misrepresenting his thoughts. If so, I hope he'll correct me.

They are going to start a topic regarding GW4 very soon. I think we should let them lead the discussion and ask the question. I talked to them about it at GW3 and what Teach2Learn said is exactly right.

Be patient. The discussion will begin soon enough.

For now I am going to close this topic. A new topic will be opened with the focus being on selecting a location for GW4 based on the event's organizers criteria. Other people can host large events if they want, just as the organizers of GeoBash are doing up in the upper Eastern Midwest part of the US in a couple of months. GeoWoodstock is the brainchild of JoGPS and many other people and they have the right to do with it what they see fit.

As I said, for now I am closing this topic until the organizers of the event open a topic regarding the location for GW4.

(EDIT: Sorry, just got home from a long business trip, did not see the other topic. This would in fact be a duplicate topic so it will remain closed.)

Edited by mtn-man