Rude And Arrogant Approvers/reviewers

I have also heard of ammo cans being washed away by heavier than normal flooding and ending up in a lake. It was then discovered by a boater who opened it to find the contact info for the cacher and returned, very dry and intact. Baggies rip too easy. It could last a few months, but statistics would likely give it a half-life around 6 or 7 finds.

We have a plastic bag hide that runs about 30-40 finds before wearing out. (Lasts longer if cachers are more careful). We call them "Palatka micros" named for a city in Florida. It involves a business card baggie attached to an adhesive business card magnet. They are then reinforced with a duct tape cover in an appropriate color to blend in with whatever it is stuck to. I have recently found out if I wrap it around the sides, it lasts even longer.

You asked why? The tape keeps people, especially geocachers from finding them. They'll loook right past the silver duct tape on the guardrail, or the black duct take on the phone booth while looking for something else.... unless they know what a Palatka is. Watch how it works.

January 9 by PortOrangeExplorer (39 found)

We had fun looking, but couldn't find. Was very recently mulched so thought maybe it was covered or discovered by a muggle mulcher? Will try again!

And this was on the guardrail. :rolleyes: This one was taken from this cache.

Edited by M&DofKJE
Nothing but kind words for Crow.

I've sat on the sidelines reading this thread, but this seems like a good time to go on record as saying that I have never had a bit of a problem with a cache reviewer.

My wife says she's had some issues with one, but that's beyond the scope of what we are discussing here. :lol:

~erik~

Has anyone else had to deal with rude and arrogant approvers/reviewers of caches?

Yep.

While the majority of the folks who are reviewers I've been in contact with are pretty upstanding people and very easy to get along with, there are a couple that are not.

Sissy and I have had to deal with tone that if it had happened face to face the situation would have gotten ugly.

How I deal with them? As long as they just approve our caches I just ignore the the rest. It's kind of like some posters I just skim over here in the forums. It's like, "say what you want, but I've lost all respect for you. As long as you click the List It button that's all I want to hear out of you." If they really want to get on a power trip, email Hydee.

It's really too bad, too. Any reviewer I have to deal with that hides behind an reviewer's account will have to earn my trust and respect, don't come in demanding.

Hope this helps.

Then perhaps you shouldn't post innuendo, gossip and lies.

Perception is reality. Our perceptions are obviously very different. We will never agree, and I don't care to continue a year old argument at this point.

Posted on: Apr 21 2005

I have placed the first cache since the problems we had last year with the local approver, hoping that it goes much better than before. I figure, last year he was new at it, etc, etc. Starting over with a clean slate!

When you quoted this, you left out this part...

I haven't heard anything yet, but I did submit fairly late. (10 PM?)

I appreciate the fact that the cache was reviewed early the next day, and posted shortly after dinnertime that same day, after I posted the coordinates that you wanted.

In regards to this:

The 'problem', as you recall, was that you placed a container too close to an established cache. When I archived it you became unhappy and wanted preferential treatment in violation of the guidelines. While exceptions can be made when there is a barrier such as an interstate highway, a river with no nearby bridges, cliffs and the like, these two caches in the same park were separated by nothing more than a grassy lawn.

If you or any other geocacher ever have any additional concerns, I am always available to address them via e-mail.

You are right, that cache was separated by a little over 400 feet from the final step of a puzzling offset microcache sunk in a draincover (yours, I believe). It was also placed near a very nice family friendly river access area. I DID email you to discuss only to be told that your hands were tied. Rather than drag it out, I moved it 100 feet. Later on, I moved it another listing site so that families who geocache would get the intended experience.

In any event, I was checking back here only to post that the cache was approved in what I would consider a timely fashion. Maybe that year has provided some learning time for both of us. I made sure I was much more than .1 miles from any nearby caches, and less than 1 mile from the starting coords when I chose the location. Of course, the selection was much better this time!

Keep on Cachin'!

I'm fairly new at this game. 80 finds, 3 hides. There was an issue in the wording of one of my hides, and our reviewer, Crow-t Robot, went above & beyond the call of duty by fixing my screw up instead of simply putting my cache on hold till I fixed it.

Nothing but kind words for Crow. :lol:

You praise him for that. The next person will come here excoriating him for having the gall to alter his page without permission.

Then perhaps you shouldn't post innuendo, gossip and lies.

Perception is reality. Our perceptions are obviously very different. We will never agree, and I don't care to continue a year old argument at this point.

But you went on and on about it anyway? :lol:

Posted on: Apr 21 2005

I have placed the first cache since the problems we had last year with the local approver, hoping that it goes much better than before. I figure, last year he was new at it, etc, etc. Starting over with a clean slate!

When you quoted this, you left out this part...

I haven't heard anything yet, but I did submit fairly late. (10 PM?)

I appreciate the fact that the cache was reviewed early the next day, and posted shortly after dinnertime that same day, after I posted the coordinates that you wanted.

In regards to this:

The 'problem', as you recall, was that you placed a container too close to an established cache. When I archived it you became unhappy and wanted preferential treatment in violation of the guidelines. While exceptions can be made when there is a barrier such as an interstate highway, a river with no nearby bridges, cliffs and the like, these two caches in the same park were separated by nothing more than a grassy lawn.

If you or any other geocacher ever have any additional concerns, I am always available to address them via e-mail.

You are right, that cache was separated by a little over 400 feet from the final step of a puzzling offset microcache sunk in a draincover (yours, I believe). It was also placed near a very nice family friendly river access area. I DID email you to discuss only to be told that your hands were tied. Rather than drag it out, I moved it 100 feet. Later on, I moved it another listing site so that families who geocache would get the intended experience.

In any event, I was checking back here only to post that the cache was approved in what I would consider a timely fashion. Maybe that year has provided some learning time for both of us. I made sure I was much more than .1 miles from any nearby caches, and less than 1 mile from the starting coords when I chose the location. Of course, the selection was much better this time!

Keep on Cachin'!

But you went on and on about it anyway? :lol:

That wasn't the same arguement, but just the same, I was trying to leave it in the past and demonstrate that I would rather move forward than stick in muddy past issues. Unfortunately, that desire gets set aside when I feel like I am being misrepresented and attacked.

Maybe THAT's why I prefer to stay away from these forums... :lol:

(In my best French accent) :lol:

You, You, cache' reveiwers. You insult my fellow liberators of trickets, toys and worldly treasurers. You, you cache' swine!!! I spit in your general direction!!! :lol:

(Back to my southern accent)

If you guys are volunteers and make the time to cache and reveiw along with your other responsibilites in your day to day lives, then you should be cut some slack if someone misinterrupts your comments/questions. :P

Hang in there!

(In my best French accent) :lol:

You, You, cache' reveiwers. You insult my fellow liberators of trickets, toys and worldly treasurers. You, you cache' swine!!! I spit in your general direction!!!  :P

(Back to my southern accent)

If you guys are volunteers and make the time to cache and reveiw along with your other responsibilites in your day to day lives, then you should be cut some slack if someone misinterrupts your comments/questions.  :P

Hang in there!

:lol::lol::P

(In my best NY accent)

If you don't like the way I'm running the show, you can kiss my ASCII file.

Ooops, sorry KA, I know I promised to play nice in the sand box ...

I'll agree the reviewers are rude, they don't send me chocolate as often as I like to receive it. ;)

Other than that, I think they are great! They work hard to keep the community happy and the majority of the time they do an excellent job. As I have said before we are all human and we will all make mistakes.

The problem comes in when the reviewer and the cacher are not communicating clearly, and that happens often when you communicate electronically. We will continue to attempt to communicate as clearly as possible, and I hope geocachers continue to try to be understanding as they are going through the review process.

CP, If you're using your best NY accent, shouldn't it be "If yous guys don't like the way ..."??? ;)

Hydee, I agree with you 100%. I think I stated that (or something like it), earlier. Something about get some thick skin and cache out. Being a volunteer is not what it's cut out to be. Living with the feeling of being taken for granted for instance.

Later! :D

I'll agree the reviewers are rude, they don't send me chocolate as often as I like to receive it.

Well they never send me chocolate which I think is very rude.

And to think a couple of week ago I gave 2 reviewers brownies.

Certain reviewer bought me rum some time ago. ;)

What is everyone's rush for what seems like "instant approval"? Sometimes I wait 3 to 4 days for approval.... (usually less than 24 hours though) but that isn't a problem. These guys have a lot of caches in their queue and they make every effort to get to ours. I don't want them to get divorced over being approvers, y'know... What is the big rush? Seriously! It will be approved, then people will go find it. They'll have plenty of time to find it once it's approved.

I very seldom post on here but i just had to add my 2 cents...

The Reviewers / Approvers here in Florida are great my hats off to both Crow and Florida cacher.

I've had several of my cache placements that required a bit of extra communications to get them approved but have found that IF I do my part and place the cache within the guidelines and make sure I give enough information to answer any possible questions in the reviewer notes we all end up happy. Its not fare to place all the pressure and research on the reviewer. He/She should have as much information to help make a decision.

Every time that there has been a Question or concern on one of my cache placements it had always been somthing I had overlooked.

;) Don't blame others for your own mistakes. :D

Has anyone else had to deal with rude and arrogant approvers/reviewers of caches?  I have emailed Groundspeak about the tone and abrasiveness of one reviewer, but received no answer -- I archived 3 geocaches just to avoid confrontations -- does anyone have some strategies to share (I don't want to create new geocaches until I know what to do)...

Nothng but the best to say about our reviewers. TandGG

We've worked with New York Admin, Crow T Robot, and Erik88l-r and had nothing but positive experiences :D.

In particular, New York Admin and Erik88l-r helped us work through some issues with our first hides and we ended up with higher quality caches as a result. They helped us learn the game better (even though it required some long e-mail responses to our e-mails rife with questions) and it's been smooth sailing with quick approvals ever since ;).

There's been criticism leveled at some of the "cut and paste" responses people receive from reviewers. However, most of the issues that come up have probably been seen a least once before. When a reviewer is confronted by a queue of several dozen to several hundred caches awaiting approval, it's much more efficient and timely to do cut and paste response than to figure out how to write the same thing they've written before, but in a different way.

Our reviewers are swell. Quit trying to hide things in baggies. It might help if you spent some actual money and used an ammo can or a tupperware container. As far as I am concerned you are rude and arrogant and deserve to be spanked. (Reviewers: Take note of my stalwart defense) ;)

And to think a couple of week ago I gave 2 reviewers brownies.

And they were excellent brownies too. I'll keep that in mind the next time I review a cache of yours, Allen. :lol:

~erik~

I'll second that Allen. Totally awesome!

I guess you could say that Erik and I give them two thumbs up. :lol:

I will have chocolate tomorrow, I promise. (We did not eat all our goodies on our hike!)

I've been totally cut off from the world hiking for a couple of days... anything happen?

:lol:

Ahhhh, same ol' same ol'. ;):D:lol:

Notice it is usually the newbs that get it wrong with the accusatory tones and misconceptions?

There's a reason it's recommended they wait a year before hiding caches.

Who made that recommendation?

All the seasoned folks I speak with. Typically, newbies tend to misunderstand the intent of the reviewers' notes. They also tend to think they're above the guidelines and think they can get away with something. Then when they're caught, they misconstrue the intent and the tone and make themselves look like the victim when in truth, they open their mouths by posting here and tend to look like the back end of an animal instead of looking at the cause for concern and doing something constructive about it.

For the record, the reviewers do not subscribe to this theory. I have recommended that a new cacher find a few caches first (2-3) but never anything like a year or 100 caches. But we are taking this thread off topic.

I just recently de-lurked after reading for about year. :o We have found 31 caches and have hidden 3. Our reviewer was extremely nice and one even sped up the process because he wasn't sure why one was on hold. :D We are new at this, but I don't think it's being new that makes a person take a comment the wrong way, it's the person...AND you can never really know what a person means in this format, it's not like you are talking to them directly! I always type out a response and take a step back before sending.....it's all about perception! :o

As for waiting to place a cache, as long as you know what you are doing, and follow the guidlines, why should you have to wait a year? Where I'm from, I can find most of the local ones in a year, and if everyone waited to do that, there wouldn't be very many new ones to find! :D

This is just my 2 cents, but everyone I have come into contact with, whether it be cachers, admins, or reviewers have been very polite and kind. No complaints here!