New Event Idea

avroair

The nearest APE Project cache to the NE is in Maryland: HERE

Anyone interested in a breakfast get-together then caravan style roadtrip to go and find this cache (ano others on the way of course).

Tentatively set for the spring and I have no idea if it would involve a weekend, maybe there is camping closeby?

Since Squealy rejected me, I have no choice but to make a serious post to this thread.

It is a goal of mine to find all three of the active Project APE caches. I was within a few miles of the one in Washington, but a killer 12 mile hike to grab two mountaintop caches scratched that third one off the list. I'll be back.

Over New Years, I had the pleasure of finding Mission 12: Blind Canal along with Carleenp, courtesy of our host in the Chicago area, Stunod.

If the timing's right, I could drive over from Pittsburgh to grab the Maryland one. It'd be cool to meet all the NJ/NY regulars from this forum.

APE caches are cool because of their special history, their rarity, and the *gigantic* cache containers. Bring the biggest trade items you can imagine. Move that huge travel bug that won't fit in a local tupperware cache. Have fun.

Here is a picture of Carleen and me with the identical cache container for the Illinois APE cache.

7d330765-93a0-488e-9bb5-c60faf990ba7.jpg

OK fine.  I'll be your date, Squealy.

Trust me, once you've logged an APE, you'll never go back to micros!

Uh, no! JMB is MY date!!!! :blink:

Is that like once you go black you never go back? <_<

Hey Squealy, I'm feeling a little trapped and I think I need a break. It's not you, it's me.

So, Lep.... how YOU doin?

You will note from my avatar today that I've already found a Project APE cache. 

Hey Lep, you also got a Mount10 bike coin :blink:

You too Miss Jenn B)

Very distinguished. . . no dates planned yet, when the snow clears so Squealy doesn't moan all the way to the cache...

Look at the size of the container Neil, think you might actually be able to find this one?

<_<:blink::tired:

Edit: Better start planning now since I think there is a 60-90 day approval lag for event caches... B)

Edited by avroair
I'm interested too. Even if it's not part of an event cache.

Actually, the Maryland Geocaching Society is pretty active with events throughout the year. I'm sure they'd welcome some out of state cachers (heck, they welcomed me, they'll let anybody in their events :)) if you planned a road trip like this on a weekend they had an event scheduled. I've been wanting to do that cache myself, and just may run down from central PA to join up, if the date works for me.

This coming from Prince Harry, Duke of Locationless Caches.

You would probably find more locationless caches if stopped searching for the containers at them :P They are virtual you know!!! CCC dude! (I still haven't found that one!)

And another thing stop trying to find virtuals in Harriman, as hard as you look there ain't gonna be a Roman Stone Bridge there! :)

Anyhoo, for the rest of us. I am thinking March, I will set a date :) I am currently looking at the 13th of March.

Edited by avroair

avroair,

got your email, will get the info for you. we're having a meet and greet on 3/13 in frederick (about 30 miles north of the APE cache). could hit it in the A.M. then head up to our M&G (which isn't posted yet) but you're all more than welcome to come. it'll be posted soon.

here's some info about the M&G if you're interested.

Cool. So I am going to say March 12th - drive down caravan. Pick up the APE and others. Stay the night then meet up at the pizza joint (after caching of course) then cache our way back up. :o

I shall have a talk with Mrs Avroair and make the plans definate.

Thanks for your help Robert

Weekend of March 12th-13th

Tentative itinery:

Sat

7 a.m.-9 a.m. - Jersey Turnpike Meet and Greet

9:00 a.m. - travel down to Maryland

afternoon sometime - grab the APE cache

Saturday dinner event ??? Maybe ???

Sun

morning - caching

11:00 a.m. Meet up at Pizza event

drive back and cache after the event

Is there a limit to how many events can be attended in a 24 hour period? :P

I would consider the whole weekend one event.

:P

Ya, having an event to drive to an event sure doesnt seem to fit the spirit of the guidelines. However, even without an extra smiley, we might be up for the trip.

(depending on if we have the kid or not that weekend)

Edited by Mopar
Ya, having an event to drive to an event sure doesnt seem to fit the spirit of the guidelines. However, even without an extra smiley, we might be up for the trip.

(depending on if we have the kid or not that weekend)

It's not adding events for Smilies, it is to keep you guys from being bored!!!

I had considered a Jersey Turnpike meet-and-greet as a breakfast event to get people who don't often read the forums a chance to see what we are up to... but I guess judging from the 58 who turned up for the Anonymous Geocachers Gathering, we may be looking at a huge number! :P

I will coordinate with Robert some of the details.

Weekend of March 12th-13th

Tentative itinery:

Sat

7 a.m.-9 a.m. - Jersey Turnpike Meet and Greet

9:00 a.m. - travel down to Maryland

afternoon sometime - grab the APE cache

Saturday dinner event ??? Maybe ???

Sun

morning - caching

11:00 a.m. Meet up at Pizza event

drive back and cache after the event

Is there a limit to how many events can be attended in a 24 hour period? <_<

Hey Avroair!

I'm posting this to kick in the "Track This Topic" emails, and also because if my schedule permits, I'd like to attend the A.P.E. cache hunt.

Let's see if my wife wants to take a drive too... and I'll probably do it by car, so it'll be neat to see how the caravan develops...

--Marc

February 1, 2005 @ 12:09 AM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

We would absolutely love to do this but... TBB#4 will be arriving around that time (TBB#2 is due in the first week of April). She's enormous already :rolleyes: and we're going to have to decline. She's a trooper but I mean it - she's huge! Also, once she reads this I will need approximately 8-10 weeks before the casts can be removed. Have a blast - with AvroAir's events you can be sure of it (even if he does talk funny).

I'm definitely interested. Will plan my future work schedule accordingly.

Besides, I can't let Mark get any further ahead in event caches by doing this without me.

come on, quoddy! you know you want to go!

<_<

OK, OK....I'm going! You knew I would. I'm already scheduled off work. The whole weekend sounds great. :o

briansnat @ Mar 24 2004, 07:22 AM)

I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I am". Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left arm on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! He-he-he! Yaba baba daba. Runny, money, me!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

Just curious... if two large groups of differently-stated geocachers meet, is it proper etiquette for all the geocachers from each state to perform the greeting dance, or should one cacher from each state be elected to make the greeting? (I don't think this will be too much of a problem, as there is only one state's difference between NJ and MD -- we generally put our right arms out and chant, rather than sing, "Geocachers are we! He-he-he! Hibble-dibble-WHEE!. Sunny Bunny, Tree!") We will defer to the NJ group, as gracious hosts, of course... If it is to be only one cacher, then I'd have to say ROBERT is our (MD's) best, and would have my vote to strut the strut.

briansnat @ Mar 24 2004, 07:22 AM)

I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I am". Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left arm on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! He-he-he! Yaba baba daba. Runny, money, me!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

Just curious... if two large groups of differently-stated geocachers meet, is it proper etiquette for all the geocachers from each state to perform the greeting dance, or should one cacher from each state be elected to make the greeting? (I don't think this will be too much of a problem, as there is only one state's difference between NJ and MD -- we generally put our right arms out and chant, rather than sing, "Geocachers are we! He-he-he! Hibble-dibble-WHEE!. Sunny Bunny, Tree!") We will defer to the NJ group, as gracious hosts, of course... If it is to be only one cacher, then I'd have to say ROBERT is our (MD's) best, and would have my vote to strut the strut.

I thought we would just circle eachother suspiciously until someone identifies themself.

A Peace Pipe has been known to work.