Best weedwhacker for geocaching?

mckee

I keep finding lots of vegetation getting in my way when I'm out geocaching. What's the best equipment for clearing a nice wide swath of destruction to the cache? Obviously the extension cord models aren't going to cut it, since I'll need a whole lot of cords to reach a plug-in.

icon_confused.gif

130036_200.gif

If you have a lot of vegitation, clearly it's not endangered or there wouldn't be much. So cutting a nice wide swath is not a problem. Heck you would probably be doing the world a favor since as everyone knows it's only the invasive weeds that grow that well.

Flame throwers work well, but they just don't have enough juice to go the distance during a long hike. Besides the forest service has a habit of banning fires outside of campfires and in some places they ban even those.

Machetties don't work well but they sure are fun.

My personal favorite (learned as an intern) is a chainsaw. They cut through thick patches of weeds with ease.

"Flamethrowers?"

"Machettes?"

"Chain saws and weed whackers?"

What hunters do is use brush pants, or chaps. You can plow through any vegetation that you have the strength to power through while wearing those.

Or, follow the trial left by the previous cacher.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

Well, my friend John and I tried to plant a cache up at a very, very remote lake...Dream Lake. He brought a machete as we knew that we were in for a hellacious bushwack. Boy, I never want to do a bushwack like that one again! He used that tool and I used my trusy hickory hiking stick to beat back some of the very thick, stickerish brush. This is an extreme case.

Normally when I cache, I try to go around brushy areas and my caches are mostly in areas that don't require bushwacking...well, Dream Lake will, but that's a wilderness adventure for hardy folk. We're gonna go for it in a couple weeks or so by going up the creek this time. Here's the resulting cache due to our failure to reached the lake. Some pics of the ordeal are posted:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=73113

Back in the day certain individuals found napalm and agent orange to work pretty well for overgrown areas...However, this might prove detrimental to the tupperware or ammo box you are hunting for so you might want to use those caching aids as a "last resort." icon_cool.gif

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.

- Jack Handey (aka Jack Handy)

Unless you can get some Agent Orange or call in a napalm strike, try a DR Trimmermower. It even has an attachment to cut down small trees! Next choice would be a Cat D5B dozer. It leaves a great trail back to your tow vehicle and creates a great firebreak to slow down those pesky brush fires caused by napalm.

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

There's a fine line between Geocaching and mental illness, I just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

I know some of the people here are joking and I hope others are (It might not be a good idea to post photos of people using machettes on cache pages. You wouldn't want give the anti-geocaching crowd any more ammo).

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Don't forget the "newbies" out there. Until you have at least 20 finds, 2 hides, and 150 forum posts you should be required to use a manual weeding device, such as a hoe.

And of course, any gasoline powered device should be reserved for charter members.

If you are going to troll, troll big!

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS:

Don't forget the "newbies" out there. Until you have at least 20 finds, 2 hides, and 150 forum posts you should be required to use a manual weeding device, such as a hoe.

And of course, any gasoline powered device should be reserved for charter members.

Does dynamite count as a "manual weeding device?"

130036_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS:

I knew my $30 for a premium membership would someday be useful! icon_razz.gif

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif

Submit a new cache page.

Make the co-ordinates 0.1 of a mile beyond the cache you want to find.

Post that there's a ten thousand dollar first finder's prize in your new cache.

Give it a week then go and find the cache you're after.

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

Bill D,

Your idea takes the cake. Work smarter not harder. Let your fellow cachers bushwhack for you by playing on their greed/competitive spirit... icon_cool.gif

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.

- Jack Handey (aka Jack Handy)

You can use an extension cord model.

Just plug it into a currant bush.

Make sure the currant bush is AC though, not DC. The two look alike and fool many people.

===========================================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

quote:
Originally posted by Woodbutcher68:

Unless you can get some Agent Orange or call in a napalm strike, try a DR Trimmermower.

If I remember correctly, Agent Orange was frequently used by the U.S. military in the late 60's and early 70's in their efforts at VietCaching.

I am Lothar, King of the Hill people. I have many tails to tell....

Oh for cryin' out loud! Would you people please think of what you're doing to the future generations out there?!?!?!?

SALT the earth! That way they won't have to worry about anything growing up in their way either! Sheeesh! icon_rolleyes.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by GOT GPS?:

Use tons of boiling water, for it is better than chemicals or the distructiveness of fire.

The vegetation eventually dies.

Tons? I will make my wife carry the water so I can read the GPS. I wouldn't want her to spill any on the wrong spots. icon_frown.gif

130036_200.gif