What New Features Would Entice You...

I'm not sure if this is already possible -- maybe I don't know how.

I would like to be able to download all the coordinates a Travel Bug has visited, in order, into a table that I could then plot against a map. This would give me a Travel Bug Trip map showing where each travel bug has been.

It would be double-cool if the amount of time could also be loaded so that I could place a symbol of corresponding size to the length of time the bug was in place (big dot = long visit, Little Dot = short stay)

I'd also like a bumper sticker that said "I ranted in the Geocaching Forums and will never get that time back! 2005!"

opps.

I also like the idea of any membership kits not being shipped automatically, but rather an optional "buy" piece. The only exception might be an inexpensive item (like a paper certificate) that says "Geocaching Premium Member 2005" etc. The cost would be printing and a stamp, but it would then make it a better gift option for someone to give. I pay about $5Cdn for a patch -- so I'm not sure if this would be economical to include? The idea is that this would give the "believers" a physical item that they could give to friends, family, and random strangers (cache Prize!). It could be availble as a non-activated "blank" membership, or require advance activation.

Imagine finding a certificate and premium membership pin in a cache just waiting for you to activate!

thought:

Premium Membership ($30): Includes, certificate, Pocket Queries ....feature, feature, feature

Premium Membership w/"kit" ($X): all the above plus: year pin, year patch, exclusive Travel Bug mailed to you (a $X+ value)

The $X+ would normally be about a 40% benefit, plus the items would be "exclusive" (slap a "Premium Member" tag on them)

If the "kit" were priced at Cost +15% or so, it would cover handling and add a little more to the sites revenue.

People are somewhat tangible for the most part -- I've even heard of some freaky folks that like to search around for containers in parks! If there was a way for folks to get "logo" - premium member items -- I really think it would go a long way. Touch the geo-sphere -- touch it.....

Also -- it gets people to actually pay YOU to advertise the site....wow...

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

I like the idea of a membership package, kind of a gift set (I think I brought it up in that other thread, or was it Lemon Fresh Dog? I don't remember and can't be bothered to check...).

In my mind, a 'regular' premium membership would also have to be available, but I think a gift package would push a lot of people over the edge. Its always nice to have something physical in your hands (electrons just don't cut it for some people).

Also discounts (doesn't have to be that big) on merchandise would encourage more people to renew. Some kind of deal with 3rd party developers (GSAK, etc) would be nice as well for discounted rates on licensed copies.

I'd also like to second the idea of a 1 month prepaid card, that could be used as a FTF prize (even if it were just a print out with an activation code on it).

I'd also like to second the idea of a 1 month prepaid card, that could be used as a FTF prize (even if it were just a print out with an activation code on it).

That is a realy good idea. These could be printed off online only by PM's and valid for one month free membership. They could be used as FTF's for the first non PM's to find the cache.

That is very easy to implement, can't be abused because only PM's can access them, is a very cheap way for GC to drive membership and give non PM's access to premium features. Not to mention a great way to increase the need for speed to grab the cache.

Even though I am a PM, things that I think would improve the site / get more people to join.

• Immediate running of pocketqueries (still limit the amount per day)
  • Possibly a lower price..Lower to $25 or even $20, if membership would double it would be worth it. What percentage of active members are pm?
  • A pq of all my finds
  • A free copy of GSAK (create a pact with Clyde and have GSAK on a yearly license)

That is a realy good idea. These could be printed off online only by PM's and valid for one month free membership. They could be used as FTF's for the first non PM's to find the cache.

That is very easy to implement, can't be abused because only PM's can access them, is a very cheap way for GC to drive membership and give non PM's access to premium features. Not to mention a great way to increase the need for speed to grab the cache.

I think maybe we're thinking about this in two different ways (both really good though).

What I was thinking was a user pays $3 for a premium membership 'card' to print out, and then puts it in a cache for a FTF prize.

It seems to me what you're talking about is a system where PM could print out x number of 1 month 'guest passes' (probably not usable by them), and put them in a cache for non-premium members to find. I like this, because it resolves some of the issues with trial memberships, and creating sock-puppet accounts.

A pq of all my finds

A free copy of GSAK (create a pact with Clyde and have GSAK on a yearly license)

I am a PM and PQs of my own caches are easy to run. All you select are caches that you own, and they get emailed to you.

I'm a registered user of GSAK and think everyone should pay the $20.00 for the program. It is worth it's weight in gold and the price shouldn't be reduced, just to encourage people to become PMs.

I am a PM and PQs of my own caches are easy to run. All you select are caches that you own, and they get emailed to you.

The problem comes when you get over 500 finds, or if your finds are spread out over a couple of continents, or both.

I agree GSAK is well worth it's $20, for me it would be a bargain at twice the price. But I do not think that it would be a good thing for GC.com to begin bundling any particular piece of software. GSAK seems to have great appeal, but it is not a fix-all for every person. Plus what do you do for people like RobertLipe who wrote GPSBabel which is the engine underneath GSAK. GC.com probably should not get into the business of promoting geocaching software solutions, lots of toes to stomp on there.

... but it is not a fix-all for every person. Plus what do you do for people like RobertLipe who wrote GPSBabel which is the engine underneath GSAK. ...

I would think that Clyde and Robert have some sort of arrangement. If one goes to gpsbabel's site one sees alot of $20 donations from Clyde.

Having said that, I can see why someone who has registered GSAK would not want a free license with geocaching.com.

heck maybe we should have an option for paying more

You know, MonkeyBrad, you just pay that $30 in my name. Then Joe will get off my back an I can log the closest cache to my house, which is MO, and you can support the site even more than you do now. <_< You did miss my birthday, you know...

The problem comes when you get over 500 finds, or if your finds are spread out over a couple of continents, or both.

I agree GSAK is well worth it's $20, for me it would be a bargain at twice the price. But I do not think that it would be a good thing for GC.com to begin bundling any particular piece of software. GSAK seems to have great appeal, but it is not a fix-all for every person. Plus what do you do for people like RobertLipe who wrote GPSBabel which is the engine underneath GSAK. GC.com probably should not get into the business of promoting geocaching software solutions, lots of toes to stomp on there.

Whoops,

I thought he wrote caches that I own, not caches that I have found. DUH! I have to quit reading so fast.

Bill,

Just took the $2.50/mo plunge!

I just now formatted my laptop & got the pocket pc to finally talk to it!!!  that was the last convincing factor for me.  What prog do you use on the handheld?

I use GPX Sonar.

This is the program that Clyde, the creator of GSAK, recommended to me. It works wonderfully and the more I use it the more I am surprised at what I can do with it.

On you laptop or PC GSAK is a must as far as I am concerned.

Enjoy going paperless.

Here a reason to upgrade PM and to recieve PQ's, when you go paperless you can save your membership fee in ink!!! :rolleyes:

The question is, what new features would entice me to become a premium member.

Staying absolutely On Topic and answering the question straight up without any sugar coating, (Jeremy appreciates the direct approach...) I can say that there is no new feature that would entice me to become a premium member.

I appreciate that this may not be helpful, but no-one can say I didn't answer the question honestly and fairly!

:rolleyes:

Another idea...

This may not be so much an advantage when only uploading just one or two pics, but when doing many it would.

• When uploading a number of pictures to a site, (like the 26 cache camera pictures I just finished doing).

• PM's could get the option to select a folders worth of pictures, or atleast a handfull at a time, (as I imagine improper formats within a folder might complicate the upload).
    Then some way to edit all descriptions in one shot. Maybe with a preview & submit button when done.

Next Idea not such a big deal. I think I'm thinking too much... I think.

• PM's could get the option of organizing the order their pictures list in.
    (Currently Pictures list in the order we upload them).

And look you can now format text here in the forums!

Just kidding! It's always been that way.

:rolleyes: Many thanks Stunod. My Bad

Staying absolutely On Topic and answering the question straight up without any sugar coating, (Jeremy appreciates the direct approach...) I can say that there is no new feature that would entice me to become a premium member.

Too bad you weren't on topic. We were looking for new features that would entice you to be a premium member, not whether there were any features that would entice you to be one. :rolleyes:

Even though I'm already a PM , I think (after reading this all morning) after some careful thought I think 1) seeing new caches 24hrs before others (I know you don't want to make any changes to the site but this would help), 2) 3 geocache stickers for the first three hides or TB tag or maybe the new calender discounted , or just some geo swag 3) but I think a better explaination of the PM benefits would help entice people plus a trial certificate to put in a cache might be nice and help lure more people . MOPAR came up with the best summary of all this . Routing would be very helpful in planning to do several caches along a planned area of travel .

So to summarize what could help routing , trial ceritifcates , better explaination of PM benefits , Geo swag , seeing new caches 24hrs before others . If I think of anything else I'll report back .

I know that this is aimed at folks that aren't already PM, but have you ever thought about some ala carte features? Here are a few I would pay a few extra dollars for over my PM. I'm sure the normal user wouldn't want these, but who ever said we were normal?

• The ability to show my DNFs... those are always our best logs.
  • Allow me to have my last 5, 10 or 15 logs on my own web page. Some sort of java applet or something. Maybe incorporate the abilty to add misc notes so a person can blog their geocaching expierence.
  • Allow me to upload audio, video or any other kind of file to a log or my cache pages. (It would be nice to have my audio logs on your server instead of mine :rolleyes: )

I have only recently become a PM primarily for the mapping features, but am learning about the PQ's and see where those are quite helpful.

Two things that would have pushed me over the edge sooner:

1 - Ability to search the member database by name, location, statistics (finds, hides, types). Perhaps there would need to be some kind of limit due to privacy concerns? I have done some searching within the forum memberlist, and have gotten around it a little bit on gc.com by searching for a membername using the "Find caches found by ______". If this feature is already out there and I've missed it, point me in the right direction.

2 - PM-only forums other than the off-topic. Before I became a PM, I figured the off-topic forum would be different than what it is for some reason. Even though it was off-topic, I thought it would have more stuff related at least somewhat to geocaching, outdoors, GPS's, etc.

One suggestion was the idea to make new caches exclusively available for premium members for 24 hours after they are approved. This sits under the "take away feature" category which is not my intent for any change to the web site. Although I can see the attraction it is not fair for regular members to do this, especially since many cache placers are not paying members.

How about adding the ability allowing paying members to decide if they only want their caches available to other paying members first. That is a sort of "meet in the middle" that adds value without really taking away from the regular members.

I for one would like to see the ability for alerts to be sent when a new cache has been placed.

Also the ability to "rate" the quality of a cache.

Both of these were suggested already. I just wanted to chime in anyway.

How about adding the ability allowing paying members to decide if they only want their caches available to other paying members first. That is a sort of "meet in the middle" that adds value without really taking away from the regular members.

You can already do this. Make your new cache Members Only for a period you decide is sufficient (day? week? month?) then change it.

:rolleyes:

one thing that would entice me is a one-off payment, rather than a recurring one. The annual one seems pretty expensive commitment to me.

But some features that would really improve Geocaching.com, and which I would pay to help develop

- a proper feedback system, so that we could rate caches, see the average rating for a cache, see who had rated it, look at ratings that a particular user has given to other caches

- perhaps extend this to individuals, like on ebay, so that I can leave negative feedback on the user who took my travel bug, but won't log that he's got it, or where he left it! :-)

- each cache-log to have a flag that indicates whether it is a spoiler or not (set by the author, but can be changed by cache owner). Then the option to view/print caches excluding the spoiler logs, but with other logs visible

- ability to create sets of caches that are linked by a common theme (along a walking route, or all next to Roman ruins, or even just 'botogol's favourite caches) or just somehow part of a family ...I am sure you can all think of examples of useful families, there seem to be lots of informal families. NB caches in a family wouldn't necessarily belong to the same person

- reengineer the way that users can log that they have taken a TB. A lot of people seem to find this difficult - it's too complex. It should work more like the way it works when you drpo one off (which is beautifully simple, with the little list that appears). So, when you add a 'found it' log, there should be a little box that says 'did you take any of these TBs, and then a list of the TBs like this

DID YOU TAKE A TRAVEL BUG?

Please check the bug(s) you took, and enter the tracking number on the tag

TRAVEL BUG TOOK IT ENTER TRACKING NUMBER

MQBug < > < >

Bart-the-Bug < > < >

Santa's Little Helper < > < >

- more tidy printer-friendly pages that cut out the unecessary graphics etc and stayed on one page, when prionted on letter or A4 format

- partner with google to create a better search engine for caches

- ability to see who is watching your cache/TB

- ability to use HTML on TB pages

That's enough ideas!

Some of these would be suitable to be be members-only, some are things that the site really should have.

perhaps event cache coordinators could collect donations for the gc site or accept premium menberships there? could there be a way to do that?

Event stuff is something I'd love to see. Some more robust event "I will come" mechanism so organizers can see how many are coming, etc. Potentially make nametags for the people and link to their profile.

I didn't start with basic level, so don't know what I'm getting that others aren't. I do love the full service, though.

A couple of echoed ideas and couple new:

a) Welcome package (free TB) and temporary (30-day) full access

:o Some level of central acknowledgment of milestones (100,500,1000, etc..), might accelerate the numbers war, but would be nice to get.

c) Some degree of rating as cache-hiders -- obviously, this adds infrastructure (hunter ratings - maybe those only by premium members), and it might change the game adversely;

d) Some statistical detail based on analysis of difficulty/terrain levels of caches found -- for those who prefer a few tough ones to numerous drive-by's

e) Special third party offers -- One that might be very interesting would be a negotiated package and process (and ideally a web tool) for ordering individualized geo-coins. Revenue share for Groundspeak/Geocaching.com. Volume of business for the printer. Discount/ease of process/assurance of quality for cacher. Maybe one side would be limited to pre-cast dies (Geocaching logos, etc.), to help printer drive offer cost down. If the set-up cost and process could be reduced, I'd bet you'd see a ton more individualized coins, as well as enabling cachers to do new editions every year, or after every major milestone.

f) Another "Jeep" series, with revenue share for you and maybe special tracking/redemption/or other benefits for premium members. Maybe ability for premium members to order the special TB and to personalize it somehow, before dropping it. Perhaps then a series of contests for premium member owners of the special TBs for numbers of unique holders, numbers of caches deposited into (and retrieved after 24 hours by different user), and distance travelled.

g) Some regularly sponsored premium member contests (including premium member voting rights, of course) --- most innovative caches, most difficult caches, best TB, etc. -- on a monthly basis. Obviously, then you need to open a more centralized a blog or newsletter forum.

h) premium member only caches are still one of the potentially most attractive benefits. If more premium members consciously dedicated a portion of their hides to premium members only (even just for first month or two), it would be a thank-you to other members. Maybe if a voluntary practice of opening new caches on members-only basis for first 30 days were used, we could generate some additional incentive.

i) Allow caches limited to premium members only to violate the 1/10 of a mile rule. Don't know how much of a database issue this causes, but there are obviously some pretty dense areas that could still squeeze in a few more good caches. The ability to switch from premium-only to general public would complicate this.

j) Produce a "First to Find" prize or medal that premium cache hiders can buy, personalize, and hide. Obviously, tracking finder stats for premium members would help drive interest in that aspect. Combined with a practice of limiting your caches to premium members, this could produce an added layer of competition for the super geeks (myself among them - so no offense).

Sorry to ramble. What it's worth.

What I would like to see and be more willing to pay for is not so much a "feature" but more of a "service" attitude adopted by GC.com. I would like to see GC.com make available information packets to caching organizations on how to expand caching opportunities in their respective markets. Maybe a kit on how to approach local parks organizations and state game and fish commisions. I think that a uniform approach that could be applied states wide, and could maybe act as a formula for an approach worldwide is in order. I think I would be more willing to cough up more cash if I knew that GC.com was more active in promoting an overall expansion of the sport, rather than just trying to corner the market on information cataloging. Our team has been caching for only a short time so far and it seems that too narrow of a tact is being taken to this sport, a sport that we are quickly falling in love with. I acknowledge that this claim may be unfair to level against Jeremy and the GC.com crew since they are only a small company and monetary resources are at a premium, but maybe GC.com needs to hold an annual nationwide summit and invite input from the local level caching organizations. I also believe that GC.com has leverage to approach the GPSr makers for more sponsorship and resources to aid in these efforts. JMHO, but Garmin and Magellin need to advertise on this site and cough up the cash to help seed geocaching in general. These are just a few of the "services" not so much "features" I would be willing to pay for. <_<

If you want to motivate people to pay, you should provide a service for them that they can't (or won't) do for themselves.

The "pocket queries" represent one such service. But since I haven't yet made the investment in a PDA so that I can go paperless, that feature isn't enough to entice me to join.

I would be willing to join (and make the investment to go paperless) if you could generate a list of caches within a specified distance of my vacation travel route ...sort of like a linked series of pocket queries. That service would easily be worth the $30 yearly membership plus a per-use "route planner" fee.

Jean

When I search my home postal code I see a total of 51 caches and none are marked as members only. I am not sure if I am searching wrong or if there are really no member only caches in my area. If there are none, there should be, most people placing new caches already support Groundspeak.

Once I have found the 51 regular caches in my area I am going to have to travel or, I can go look for all the new member only caches that Groundspeak supporters have placed. When I am looking for caches on Geocaching.com I should see something like - You have access to nn regular caches in your area, If you were a Premium Member you would have access to nn+nnnn caches in your area.

That would encourage me to pay.

I am currently living off of my tail, but once that is gone I have to hunt.

I think I would be more willing to cough up more cash if I knew that GC.com was more active in promoting an overall expansion of the sport, rather than just trying to corner the market on information cataloging.

Thanks for the recommendations, but honestly, how do you expect us to do more things if you don't financially support the web site? Creating marketing materials costs money.

We already have someone whose entire role is to work with org members, park departments and land owners. But we can't do much more if you don't help us to pay for the resources we need to provide material for organizations. Will that make you purchase a premium membership?

The reason for this topic is to ask for features that would entice you to be a Premium Member, not a response that you might purchase a membership if your perception changes and you feel better about the site. I appreciate your recommendations but when you give so much away for free already it is hard to come up with money to create marketing materials to promote the activity.

I would be willing to join (and make the investment to go paperless) if you could generate a list of caches within a specified distance of my vacation travel route ...sort of like a linked series of pocket queries. That service would easily be worth the $30 yearly membership plus a per-use "route planner" fee.

Yes, this is probably the most requested feature and the most difficult to implement. But we're always looking for ways to get this done (and have had a pinned topic in the Geocaching.com discussion area for some time to discuss it). Thanks!

Here is a tadpolish idea.

Non premium members can only add Premium Caches to the list of 130,000+ existing caches already hosted by geocaching.com

Premium Members could choose to add Public Caches or Premium Caches.

All caches already listed as Public Caches (accessible by non members) would remain as is. On some arbitrary date ALL new caches would become Premium Listings unless a Premium Member opted to make their cache Publicly accessible. This would create a new source of revenue for Groundspeak as existing members realized that every new cache created in the world after say May 5, 2005 would be a Premium Cache, ante up, so to speak.

In a few more posts I will leave behind my tail and accept all the abuse any normal frog would expect in todays harsh climate. I am only suggesting this idea because I am a tadpole.

Leg test ...Leg test....froget it, won't work.

:o

That would get me to pay !

Edited by wavector