A Topic For All To Consider

Lactodorum

Ladies and gentlemen. I am just home from a 10 hour transatlantic flight and am not feeling at my best at the moment. I have been checking my e-mails and the UK forum and I'm a little disappointed at the way things seem to have been developing over the past couple of days.

Over the past year or so this forum has mostly been a model of propriety where many differing views have been expressed without developing into anything nasty. I have spoken to cachers around the world who read this forum and enjoy the good natured banter that goes on.

I have read and re-read the two "Hijack" threads and I still cannot see anything other than harmless joshing being written originally. That being said, it would appear that umbrage has started to be taken and it is in danger of turning into something less savoury. I would urge all correspondents to:

a) Think before writing

:ph34r: Try not to take offence

That way the threads can develop without the involvement of the moderator is the way that they have mostly done so in the year I've been doing this role. So far I have only had to close a couple of threads and have never had to use the "warning" option. Please let's all try and keep it that way.

Yours yawningly, Lactodorum <_<

I agree totally with you Lactoforum, I too have been naughty whilst posting comments on here, but it is sad to see that what did look like a bit of banter, turned out to be a slagging match.

I am extremely proud to be Scottish, but I am also proud that I spent, many years in the Armed Forces, working alongside the English, Welsh, Irish, Nepalese, Fijian, Jamaican and people with dual nationality such as German, and am proud to call all of these people that I have served with, my Fellow Countrymen.

There is more to life than taking everything personaly!!

Happy St Andrew's Day to all the north of Britain cachers

Thanks Deego :ph34r:<_< Did you know that it is the first day of the Haggis Hunting season today??

Where I agree in general with everything said above....I think it must be said that on a normally friendly forum like this one, must expect a bit of thread drift and banter !!

And I think that this is at the root cause of this recent disturbance to our normally friendly atmosphere!

Obviously there are some who are getting a bit shirty about having their threads 'Highjacked' :ph34r:

If we were to stick strictly to post topics then I think the forum will be the loser?

Also there seems to be a difference of opinion on what can be termed as humour?

'Humour' to my mind is when 'everyone' can have a smile...not just the one dishing it out <_<

Ullium.

thanks for the heads up. all i can say is i never set out to upset/insult anyone. if i do then i apologise and would hope that the person would let me know so i can say sorry.

too many people take offence too easily and then don't give the offender opportunity to say sorry. i would hope none of us really do set out to insult anyone else.

Ladies and gentlemen. I am just home from a 10 hour transatlantic flight and am not feeling at my best at the moment.

:lol: Try not to take offence

Yours yawningly, Lactodorum :(

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it seems you've witnessed my Chicago Bears in "action", as their offense is truly offensive. :lol:

If we were to stick strictly to post topics then I think the forum will be the loser?

Ullium.

I'm sorry I don't agree.

My past experience with forums has been that once you let serious forums degenerate into a jokey pub style then the people who use it for the discussion of the matter in hand ie geocaching, get fed up of the endless banter and caption competitions and don't bother reading the forum anymore, leaving a small clique of posters who use the forum as their own "gentleman's club". Over the past couple of weeks, this is what has been happening to the UK geocaching forum resulting in people starting to fall out with each other.

Speaking as a fully paid up member of Hornet's GOG Club, I would prefer that forum posts stayed on topic as near as possible. Maybe geocachingtoday.com could start a forum for the more conversational style of posts?

A good point well made Alex. Since, it seems, it was I who created this 'head' then I would like to just put a few things on the table for us all to consider.

First. and most importantly - I never set out to upset or fall out with anyone and I hope that can be seen in my posts?

B. the point of the first highjack/hijack topic was, tactlessly I'll freely admit, created to point out that some things were falling WAY off topic. Now we see that this was due to the absence of the mods and I should have kept quiet (demon drink as Snaik so eloquently put it).

3. however (and I am sure the success of Alex's CIN event is proof of this) there are some strong and important relationships forged within this forum and a more light-hearted approach helps to create this. Personally I would just like it to stay a bit more on topic.

Perhaps we could make like the Americans and have an 'off topic' thread?

Simon

Edited by The Hokesters

Ullium.

I'm sorry I don't agree.

My past experience with forums has been that once you let serious forums degenerate into a jokey pub style then the people who use it for the discussion of the matter in hand ie geocaching, get fed up of the endless banter and caption competitions and don't bother reading the forum anymore, leaving a small clique of posters who use the forum as their own "gentleman's club". Over the past couple of weeks, this is what has been happening to the UK geocaching forum resulting in people starting to fall out with each other.

Speaking as a fully paid up member of Hornet's GOG Club, I would prefer that forum posts stayed on topic as near as possible. Maybe geocachingtoday.com could start a forum for the more conversational style of posts?

I can understand your point SlytherinAlex but note that when there is a serious topic on the forum (Access, WAAS etc) for the most part it is treated in a seriious manner.

When this type of forum first came into being (back in the 60's) the posting etiquete was quite severe on the more technical forums where no one wanted to be distracted from the point in hand! But for the most part this is not that type of forum!!

This is a pastime forum which not only promotes healthy and enjoyable endeavour but companionship and friendship!

The general atmosphere on this forum is more like a large family, where for the most part we all get on great, but now and again there are disagreements...just like any other large family. But we get over it and get on with things.

Probably if there were an extra social forum...I think that the content of this forum would be drastically reduced to a few long running threads!

No offence.... this is just how it appears to me :lol:

Ullium.

Edited by Ullium
Now we see that this was due to the absence of the mods and I should have kept quiet (demon drink as Snaik so eloquently put it).

Actually, although I was on holiday in America I was fully in contact (well as much as ever) and Eckington was "at home". No, the problem was allowed to develop by our desire to let the forum be as self moderating as possible. While I have my own views on much of what is said in the UK forum it is not my role as a moderator to impose those views on others. All I try to do, and I'm sure Eckington does as well, is to police postings which are of obviously questionable legality and taste. We rely on the demonstrated good sense of the vast majority of postings and I'm pleased to say that our job is generally very easy. Thanks to all for that. :lol:

That being said, it is true that this is a GEOCACHING forum above all else and maybe we (Ecks and I) ought to be a bit more active in keeping things related to Geocaching.

That could be a good idea. I have also thought about emulating many of the other "local" threads and having a "Pinned" topic where congratulatory messages on significant geocaching milestones can be placed. I would welcome people's thoughts on both ideas.

A good point well made Alex. Since, it seems, it was I who created this 'head' then I would like to just put a few things on the table for us all to consider.

First. and most importantly - I never set out to upset or fall out with anyone and I hope that can be seen in my posts?

B. the point of the first highjack/hijack topic was, tactlessly I'll freely admit, created to point out that some things were falling WAY off topic. Now we see that this was due to the absence of the mods and I should have kept quiet (demon drink as Snaik so eloquently put it).

3. however (and I am sure the success of Alex's CIN event is proof of this) there are some strong and important relationships forged within this forum and a more light-hearted approach helps to create this. Personally I would just like it to stay a bit more on topic.

Simon

I can appreciate now that perhaps you meant no real offence I was a bit quick off the mark Simon :lol:

For that I certainly unreservedly apologise to everyone!

Also I can appreciate that having more involvement with the internet side of this sport than most (not everyone has the spare time or the inclination to get more involved) you perhaps have a greater inclination to wish to see it in your own terms! In other words understandably take it a bit more serious than others :(

But I rather think the majority of members are just looking for a medium to have a friendly chat about geocaching and sometimes just life in general !!

We all have a slightly different approach to our geocaching activity...and that is to be expected....personally I am more than willing to bow to the wishes of the majority....and it would need to be something I felt very very strongly about and thought it to be in everyones benefit to come out in opposition. Otherwise, if the forum didn't suit me in the form I found it... I would just simply not visit it!!!

Anyway it's getting too near to Christmas for us all to be at odds with each other :)

I hope Santa is good to us all :lol:

Ullium.

I have also thought about emulating many of the other "local" threads and having a "Pinned" topic where congratulatory messages on significant geocaching milestones can be placed.

I would certainly go with this idea - I would not want to pour cold water on people's desire to congratulate others' efforts but one does rather tend to fall over them when skimming the forum for other topics in which you are interested.

I have also thought about emulating many of the other "local" threads and having a "Pinned" topic where congratulatory messages on significant geocaching milestones can be placed.

I would certainly go with this idea - I would not want to pour cold water on people's desire to congratulate others' efforts but one does rather tend to fall over them when skimming the forum for other topics in which you are interested.

I agree with John's feelings and would not be adverse to Lactodorum's suggestion!

Ullium.

Here! here! - as a prominent UKGC community member once said;

'I get fed up of all of these congratulations topics but when it comes to my next milestone I will be mightyly miffed if I don't get one' :lol::lol::(

It wasn't me that said that BTW!

Although this is now taking this thread off topic (which was a timely Play Nicely Children message from Lactodorum), I want to add that I agree with taking the congratulatory messages to a separate area. I both enjoy seeing what milestones others have reached, and also was pleased when somebody noticed my (more modest) last milestone, but the adding of the congratulatory messages, no matter how well felt, does tend to fill up the forum A way of keeping this apart from other discussions, but still keeping the community spirit going, would be appreciated.

....personally I am more than willing to bow to the wishes of the majority....

I hope Santa is good to us all :rolleyes:

Ullium.

Get a cache placed!!! :lol::lol::lol:;) (I am only having a joke of course)

I too think a pinned topic for congratulations would be good.

I am however against the forum, being only for serious talk. There is more to life than being serious.

I started to do Geocaching and going onto the forums, because I enjoyed it and had fun, the operative word here being FUN!! Need I say any more??

i'm with the leave well alone.

what's the big problem with going off topic? what conversation have any of us had in person to person talking that hasn't wandered "off topic"? it's normal human nature to do so. and if necesssary the topic writer can always drag it back on topic it's not exactly too hard to do so.

you get to say/hear far more things if you let nature take it;s course and just let the subject wander.

i'd rather this was like a gathering of friends in the pub than a group of scientists discussing things in a sterile lab.

make mine a pint of best with a vodka chaser!

I agree wholeheartedly with SlytherinAlex on this.

I was very impressed with the knowledge, time and effort taken by both Ullium and The Forester on the WAAS topic. For me, that thread was a fascinating insight to where the GPS technology is going and some very long posts, including some quite detailed calculations and data was debased by some very juvenile comments made by others.

If you don't like the topic, don't contribute to it...or take away from it with childish, attention seeking comments. There are other people who "lurk" here who are looking to learn and really don't want to waste time having to read such comments. I can imagine it can also be quite demoralising to those taking the time to type out posts when silly, and pointless comments are made.

Most people wouldn't say such things, or interrupt such a discussion when face-to-face. We're all adults here, so let's have a little more respect for others.

Thank you.

Edited by mdshamilton

mdshamilton,

I have to agree with you on the fact that The Forester, Ullium and Wildlifewriter had written a lot of usefull information in the WAAS topic, and I certainly am not going to take that away from them.

However as one of my comments got edited on this thread I can't help think that I am one of the Juvenile cachers that was making the childish attention seeking comments. Now I am not condoning my actions for a moment, so please don't think I am, but The Forester & Ullium had both posted quips & comments that where not on topic. When someone does this it is inevitable that the thread will go off topic as someone will want to reply to it.

Haggis Hunter,

I'm not naming names or getting personal. But there do seem to be a disproportionate number of "off topic" topics/threads posted here. It's getting to the point where I feel I'm not learning anything and I'm just wasting my time reading this forum. If people want to post photos for captions, or start threads to complete the next line etc etc...there is the "Off Topic" forum available. If forum contributors feel it's important to make it more "local" and funny such as the Welsh and Scots giving the English a hard time (God knows whether the Americans would ever understand that) - then perhaps it's time one of the moderators asked Jeremy Irish to set up a separate "Off Topic" forum within the UK forum and one of those regular contributors to volunteer as moderator?

If forum contributors feel it's important to make it more "local" and funny such as the Welsh and Scots giving the English a hard time (God knows whether the Americans would ever understand that) - then perhaps it's time one of the moderators asked Jeremy Irish to set up a separate "Off Topic" forum within the UK forum and one of those regular contributors to volunteer as moderator?

Actually, it was the English who started that banter - and it was all very good humoured for the most part. Who cares whether the Americans understand it or not?

It would appear that there there are many purposes for the Forum, and that as well as learning something or exchanging information, a great many people enjoy the humourous side too.

It seems a little shortsighted to me if contributors are offended by a bit of good natured banter.

I must admit mdshamilton I can relate to posters like yourself and SlytherinAlex who are not afraid to speak their minds and for the most part I find myself usually in agreement with you!

However, I'm certain you can appreciate that perhaps not everyone might feel so strongly on this issue as you lads do ... as the amount of support these humourous threads seem to attract would substantiate !!

Also, although the thread on WAAS wandered a bit ... it still survived and the last time I looked was still going strong :)

With all that has happened lately perhaps you may not have so much cause for frustration in future on similar technical threads :laughing:

I also realise that for most non-Scots... we must appear a right mad bunch...and that is probably not so far from the truth :) ...but we are also a very friendly bunch :)

(ask any of those who have travelled north to join us on our Scottish Day Outs!).

But I guess that could be said of all UK geocachers in general eh?

:):):huh::):(:)

Regards,

Ullium.

....personally I am more than willing to bow to the wishes of the majority....

I hope Santa is good to us all  :laughing:

Ullium.

Get a cache placed!!! :):):):huh: (I am only having a joke of course)

I too think a pinned topic for congratulations would be good.

I am however against the forum, being only for serious talk. There is more to life than being serious.

I started to do Geocaching and going onto the forums, because I enjoyed it and had fun, the operative word here being FUN!! Need I say any more??

I agree with the Haggis Hunter,Geocaching is supposed to be a light hearted fun hobby for everyone to enjoy!!!

Lifes too short !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):(:):)

(God knows whether the Americans would ever understand that)

In answer to your question!! Yes, well at least one does. I received this email only yesterday from an American, for obvious reasons I will leave her screenname out of the quote.

Hello,

It's a shame people have no sense of humor! If I were you I would grab a digital camera and take a picture of someone in the same pose holding a gps. That would get them!

*******/Tina

Massachusetts, U.S.A

Now I think the question has to be - Ullium will you pose for the picture please?? :blink::(:P:D:D

If you boil geocaching down to its narrowest bones, it comprises little more than following a direction arrow on a GPSr to an accuracy of two or three metres to find a little box of relatively valueless trinkets which are at a location whose co-ords have been published to a precision comparable with the accuracy of GPS.

If that was all there was to geocaching, then I really don't think that many of us would have hunted more than two or three geocaches at most. We'd have lost interest.

Fortunately for all of us, geocaching is vastly more varied and interesting than that. It is immensely rich in the biodiversity of its participants, and that richness is enormously amplified by the tendency of good geocachers to stray off the straight and narrow and to stretch the boundaries in many ways and to explore and explain numerous side-issues along the way which have got nothing whatsoever to do with a blind following of an arrow on an lcd.

Similarly, with the forum, if we confined discussion to the narrow thread of following a GPSr arrow from carpark to a tupperware box, we would lose interest.

Many of us have not lost interest.

It is in the wide diversity and creativeness of geocaching which is where the fun is to be found. Similarly, it is in the diversity of opinion and of expression and of observation which is where the fun (and sometimes some gentle education) is to be found in the forum(s).

If we stick rigidly to the narrow path of a thread, it will soon shrivel into a boringly narrow line into the dullness of infinity.

Yes, there is the problem of the narrow-minded heckling from the cheap seats while intelligent discussions are going on between the grownups. That's as regrettable as the brain-dead graffiti on the walls of a public building.

Their narrow mindedness is unfortunately abetted by their narrow-minded leadership. It is a sheep-like imitation of the non-communication which is characteristic of their leader, the Good Shepherdess, whose family dictum is "Shut the flock up". It is the ultimate in non-communication. It is caused by a closed mind and it is the result of blinkered thought.

That is, IMO, the antithesis of the ethos of geocaching.

One of the several beauties of geocaching is its inclusiveness. The exclusivity of the gang mentality is the opposite. It is exactly the type of racism/nationalism/tribalism which is the bane of human civilisation and is exempified by the idiotic England v Scotland tribalism which was so regrettably disclosed and promoted recently by a clique chieftain.

Nevertheless, let them have their fun. Let them get their kicks. If that's what they want out of geocaching, then let them have it.

Cheers, The Forester

Forester I was in total agreeance with you up to the point of -

If we stick rigidly to the narrow path of a thread, it will soon shrivel into a boringly narrow line into the dullness of infinity.

After this, all I can see is an insult to a lot of Geocachers that post on these forums. I would hope that you would re-read your entry and realise that it is an insult.

Forester I was in total agreeance with you up to the point of -

After this, all I can see is an insult to a lot of Geocachers that post on these forums. I would hope that you would re-read your entry and realise that it is an insult.

Sorry Forester I have to agree with HH's comments, and regarding the English/Scottish threads, as a "Englishman" who lives in Wales, I read both threads as just gentle poking (fun) at each other. Having been a member of this forum, long enough to have seen it when we went through a really nasty backstabbing period, it is refreshing to see such fun, without backstabbing appearing, because some one took offence at a comment.

Dave

Now I think the question has to be - Ullium will you pose for the picture please??  :blink:  :(  ;)  :P  :D

Now now HH....you know very well that my inate modesty would forbid me from displaying for public view the mass of rippling sunburned muscle of which my body is constructed :(

However!...(I just love that word :D ) I will take a look through my extensive portfolios of expensive profession albums to select one I consider appropriate!

Of course I may have to go back a few years!!

OneYearOld.JPG

Sporting my first thick lip :(

:(:P:D:D:D

Ullium.

Edited by Ullium

The point I was trying to make really (and that the moderator was getting at) is that there has to some balance in a forum, otherwise it becomes useless. Scan the threads for the past few days and at least 50% of them are of the "jokey" kind...so one has to really concentrate to spot the real geocaching topics. Light-hearted banter is great, but within reason.

...but we are also a very friendly bunch  :D

(ask any of those who have travelled north to join us on our Scottish Day Outs!).

Yes indeed you are. Now then, how many of you Scots are coming to the South-West Cachers Christmas Congregation Event on Sunday :(

I'm quite certain Stuey that if any of us Scots could make down to this meeting we would be delighted be welcomed into the arms (preferably the Queens or Kings Arms :blink: ) of our southern brothers...as many of us have already this year at other get togethers south of the Border :D

Anyway, (I love this word nearly as much as 'however' :P ) when are we going to see you at one of our Days Out ?

Ullium.

:( OK Now for my tuppence worth. I enjoy the light hearted banter, the forums that bring a smile, chuckle and outright laughter. I can usually tell by the topic name whether or not I will want to read it. I enjoy the congratulatory ones as it is always nice to see that someone has reached a certain milestone. (and feel envy that they have done something that I will strive towards). It is also nice to wake up in the morning and think you have found a good spot to place a cache and know that you can find out where to get the ammo boxes you need by looking through the posts here.

Other posts that are toooooooo technical I will leave to those who understand them, and will post at a later date in more understandable language. If I had a clue what Waas was then I might be interested but right now I don't have a clue and don't want one either!

It is nice to share experiences here, and I am sure that there are a lot more readers than there are posters. Not everyone will agree with everything so if you see something that doesn't trick your trigger then just move on because it is sure to please someone else. I am sure that not everyone would agree with the way I go caching just as I would not necessarily agree with the way they do, but it is nice to be able to ask for advice and to share knowledge.

The other point I would like to address is this nationalism. If I go out the back door I am in Wales, Out the front door and I am in England, having moved here from across the pond (Canada) and spending the first 6 years in Scotland and having Irish ancestry I really do get a chuckle out of the patriotism that certain posters show :P I can easily relate to all of the above. It has been going on for centuries and will go on for centuries to come :D

This is just my opinion and I am sticking with it :blink:

Lynn

The point I was trying to make really (and that the moderator was getting at) is that there has to some balance in a forum, otherwise it becomes useless. Scan the threads for the past few days and at least 50% of them are of the "jokey" kind...so one has to really concentrate to spot the real geocaching topics. Light-hearted banter is great, but within reason.

Any attempt to restrict the posting subjects to a theme percentage would be a very difficult condition to do without the moderation appearing very heavy handed and possibly upsetting many menbers don't you think?

I think the reason there are so many humourous threads at this particular time is because most of us are experiencing weather restrictions to our normal geocaching activity!

If there are serious subjects to be discussed I think they will take priority of attention if and when they arise!

Forum subject matter can come and go like the weather...and like the UK weather...if you don't like what it is doing now....hang on a few minutes...it is sure to change :blink:

Ullium.

The point I was trying to make really (and that the moderator was getting at) is that there has to some balance in a forum, otherwise it becomes useless.  Scan the threads for the past few days and at least 50% of them are of the "jokey" kind...so one has to really concentrate to spot the real geocaching topics.  Light-hearted banter is great, but within reason.

Hi msdhamilton

Think you may have analysed it for yourself .....50% of the forum participants are interested in light hearted banter ...........actually I would have thought the figure was nearer 95% ... if you include the "where can I buy" "congrats" "any caches near?"....and anecdotal posts.

Try posting a serious topic close to your heart ....perhaps sobriety will prevail.

Personally, I thought the serious forums were already identified ..GPS ; GPSr in education etc. And arguably , the Waas topic should/could have been posted there.

Looking at the issue objectively, "events" are organised ( and encouraged) whereby people cease to become "handles" and start to become acquaintances ...doesn' it follow that familiarisation will ensue ?

Guess the forum would be a pretty dry place without some humour.

regards

FFB

...but we are also a very friendly bunch  :blink:

Yes indeed you are. Now then, how many of you Scots are coming to the South-West Cachers Christmas Congregation Event on Sunday :(

If I didn't have the wee man to consider, I think I would be constantly nipping down South to join in with as many events as I could!!! Maybe when the wee man is a bigger man I'll be able to join in!!

"local" and funny such as the Welsh and Scots giving the English a hard time (God knows whether the Americans would ever understand that) -

Well, I certainly do. The cannibals kicked the Irishman out of the caldron because he kept eating all the potatoes. Or was that about the tree fellers? :blink:

I've been away for a few days and I was a bit surprised to see all the locked threads, the angry postings and the moderator's (normally rarely seen) rebukes.

Maybe it's the time of year or something else, but I think we can all agree that the storm has blown over. And I hope that everyone has either made up or can live with their differences, whatever these may be.

So here to my opinions:

I don't think there's a need to create a whole new "Off-Topic" forum, as you can simply go to another forum for that. If you take a look at the off-topic US forums there are discussions about favourite receipes, sports teams and so on. These exist elsewhere on the internet also.

I had a thread on here last week about a choice of new car - with geocaching in mind. It was not exactly a hard-core caching discussion, but it generated a good bit of interest and for most of it, stuck to the thread title. Sure, I could go to a car enthusiasts forum and start a thread there, but most geocachers know what they would look for if they were to change their car in the near future, and this is why posting here is more interesting for me.

If we start clamping down on off-topic posts, these forums will get a lot less interesting than they have been for me. Take the WAAS thread. A lot of that is over my head. I understand some of it, but by and large it's not me. I just want the GPS to work, and 30ft accuracy is good enough. So I'll head for the "What do you eat after a long day's caching" -style thread. Conversational and, to me, interesting.

This is just an example, as there are more technically-minded geocachers posting in the WAAS thread, and enjoying it too! :( Different strokes and all that...

I think it would be a shame to try and get away from the current atmosphere in the forum here.

The last week has not been good but maybe we should all move on from here, and very importantly, be nice, friendly and considerate to one another.

Lastly, I do have to say, perhaps a little reluctantly, that I consider the congratulations thread to be a good idea. I logged on about a month ago and the top 5 threads were milestone-threads. It's nice to get acclaim, but now there's a central focus point it should become easier to follow.

You were looking pretty well as I recall.....

Hahahahaha....indeed I do :)

Mark you I imagine I didn't look too well when I arrived back at the car park where you guys hung back to see if the helicopter ambulance's services were required :(

And what about that notice at the start of the walk "Abandon hope all ye who enter here!!" with the skull and crossbones under it? :D:D:D

Yes I got mixed up I thought you meant the previous Scottish Bash and I forgot just who all was there that day....and boy if you think I looked bad in that car park you should have witnessed me trying to get out of bed the next day? :D

However, it was a great day and one I would repeat no problem given the same circumstances :)

Sorry about the old brain having a senior moment :D

BTW...for me this is what geocaching is all about....great days out in the company of congenial amazing guys...not bitching at each other :D

Ullium.

Edited by Ullium