Post The Funniest Cache Logs You've Ever Seen

Sparrowhawk

The latest log from this cache is hysterical! ;)

October 9 by guapo_dudes (12 found)

Well after two whole weekends and a lot of gas in the car we finally made it to the bunker. I think Snoogans had been there earlier because it was all cleaned up compared to what I had read from other cachers’ (no more spiders) and the air in the bunker was stale, but not toxic as I thought it would be. Finding the bunker was a lot of fun until we happened on a pack of dogs that looked at us like we would be an appetizing meal. I am mad that I didn’t bring my camera as I could have had a great barred teeth picture of the dog that got on the hood. My brother kept teasing (Cujo as we nicknamed him) by sticking his nose up close to the windshield, which would drive Cujo into fits of growls and snarls. A couple of times Cujo bashed his nose on the windshield which only incensed him more. We laughed at the dog, but deep down we were grateful that the windshield didn’t crack or shatter. Anyhow, the dogs moved on after they found that we would not be an easy meal.

Once we made it to the bunker we initiated the process of opening it up. Finally, after what seem like half an hour the green light came on and the lid opened up. When we got down there it was as I said earlier dank and smelly, but not to the overwhelmingly toxic level. We found the file cabinet and opened it up after making sure that there were not spiders on it. There were several envelopes in the cabinet and sure enough there was one for me and one for my brother (guapo_dudes and sjpowell66).

We were on our way back out of the bunker when I heard barking. I thought, “Crap!” Cujo is back and the car is more than 100 yards away. I said to my brother you’re going first since you ticked him off by getting him to bash his nose on the windshield. My brother said, “I’ve got a plan.” He went straight to the top and looked out the hatch. Sure enough there were the dogs four of them including Cujo. Then he comes back down and he reaches into his backpack and he pulls out several boxes of Dots, a big jar of peanut butter, and several jars of baby food. I said, “I don’t want to have lunch besides isn’t the baby food for your daughter.” He said, I ran into dogs before and I figured this out from that experience. He proceeds to make this disgusting ball of Dots and peanut butter that is slathered in chicken paste – it smelled worse than the bunker!

He went to the top of the bunker telling me to follow him. When we came out of the bunker we saw that the dogs were about fifty feet from the car. They hadn’t noticed us, yet. When we got about 75 feet from the car the dogs saw us and ran over and surrounded us. That is when my brother took the large ball of sludge and threw it to the dogs. They all dove after the sludge ball and started to fight over it. Cujo was last to get to the ball and he bit some of the other dogs to get at the sludge.

We ran to the car and got inside. I was about to start up the car when my brother said, “wait I want to see this.” The dogs had finished the ball and ran over to the car. If they were trying to look threatening at this point they failed. The Dots and the peanut butter had gummed them up so bad that they were too busy trying to clear their mouths. One dog shook his head so hard that he fell over. Another one started to back up in an effort to get away from the sticky substance. Cujo was back on the hood of my car, but instead of looking menacing he looked like Mr. Ed – I didn’t know that a dog could move its lips in so many directions.

On the drive home I asked him how he knew that the sludge ball would work. He told me he had been cornered (on an earlier cache) by dogs in is car before. He said that the only edible things in the car (among a myriad of other things) were Dots, peanut butter, and baby food. The sludge ball worked then too.

Well, we are on to the final leg of the journey. I wonder what Snoogan’s has in store for us next.

By TheAlabamaRambler for "The Homeless Bathtub"

May 15 by TheAlabamaRambler (761 found)

I was caching my way ‘round Nashville at 4 a.m. this rainy morning with the Butt-Kicking Cache Getters (Team BKCG on cacheleague.com) when one of our number spied The Homeless Bathtub cache on her GPS. Since it was close and we were after fast, easy caches we decided to go for it.

When we got to the site we realized immediately that this was no fast, easy cache, but we were there, and none of us willing to back down and look like a wuss in front of the rest.

Fortunately the seven of us combined had packed enough gear into our rented Suburban that we were prepared for any sort of challenge which geocachers might encounter (When following a GPS from cache to cache you can’t read cache pages, so you must be prepared for anything).

One thing we hadn’t prepared for was 24 hours of rain, so we had gone through all of our clothes and had to buy new ones. Rather than foul the new clothes we decided to do this one in our birthday suits.

The first thing we noticed was that cliff – as straight a drop into inky blackness as one could ever imagine.

We could hear torrents of water running below but assumed, incorrectly as it turns out, that Joe wouldn’t lead us over a bluff and into a river.

Hammerjane the Brave tried the descent first, but the sight of her disappearing abruptly into the night, the Doppler effect of her screams, the thuds and that awful whimpering emanating from the abyss told us we would need a rope. Actually, it told us to get the hell out of there, but a vote was taken, resulting in a 3 – 3 tie, so a coin was tossed to see if we really had to go down there after Hammer. We lost, and so began to make preparations for her rescue.

We secured the rope to a barrel of bricks conveniently left at the site and, since we couldn’t see the bottom, had no idea how far it might be, and therefore had to drop our rope over the edge and hope it reached bottom. We began to form a human chain, sliding down the rope, each keeping one hand on the ankle of the person above.

After rappelling approximately 100 feet we heard the sickening “scrunch” of something sliding and experienced a sudden lack of tension in the rope. Being fully entangled and impaled in thorns and vines we did not fall until the barrel reached us…then the fall was sudden and precipitous, made all the worse by being airborne now among a bunch of bricks, knowing that the stop would not be fun.

[view this log on a separate page]

Part 2

Did you know that six naked, wet and terrified geocachers falling through the night sky cannot fly? We could, unfortunately, flap arms and other parts just enough to slow our descent. Nothing slowed the bricks, however, a pile of which now awaited us as we landed. If you ever find yourself falling with a barrel of bricks try to stay with them, as landing either before or after them is not advised.

I won’t repeat the things that were said but let me tell you that ten years in the Navy did not prepare me for the things my fellow geocachers had to say.

Redneckgal had landed on WildlifeMagnet, fortunately for her (though not so fortunate for him) and was the only one who could actually walk away, though with a pronounced limp and a slight facial tic.

Red only made it three steps before “aaaiiieeeee!” then “sploosh” rent the air. When her head appeared it was obvious that we had been particularly unlucky and had hit the ground just feet from a pond that would better have broken our fall. Though we could see her only intermittently we knew Red was okay because we could hear her each time she came up for air. Really, I never knew Christian girls could cuss like that.

Reg3 was able to crawl to the pool’s edge and grab Red’s hair on one of her surface excursions, and with help from Keymaker pulled her to safety.

By this time I had my breath back and could sit up. Something is badly awry. Something stinks. Badly. I ask Reg3 and Keymaker to throw her back in, but they said that this particular stench wasn’t her.

HammerJane’s mewling and whimpering appeared to be close, so we started crawling in her direction.

Have you ever considered the words “muck” and “mire”? The ground around this putrid pond was hip-deep muck and we were mired down in the foulest gunk your imagination might create when considering those words.

CONTINUED IN TheAlabamaRambler's LOG BELOW

[view this log on a separate page]

CONTINUATION OF TheAlabamaRambler's NOTE ABOVE

There IS no bathtub, just this foul pond, fed by a roaring stream that could only be Nashville’s sewer main.

Perseverence, people; we are geocachers, nobodies dead yet, press on.

No cache. We encircle this nasty water pit and no cache to be found. Underwater? Surely he wouldn’t hide it underwater? Would he?? We draw straws to see who must reach into this horrid place to see if it is in fact submerged.

FOUND IT! Yes! TNLNSL. Now to get out of this vile place.

A call goes out for someone to take the rope back up to the truck. Rambler keeps very quiet. Intrepid cacher Reg3 bravely volunteers, in the face of almost certain death, to ascend the cliff with our rope and secure it from above. Or maybe it was Keymaker saying “Take the @#$%^ rope or I will kill you where you stand” that inspired him.

Two hours pass with only rocks and leaves falling from above before we hear him scrambling back down to us. He said he had returned to show us that the rope was indeed securely tied to the Suburban’s rear bumper and was long enough and that we could now ascend safely.

HammerJane had remained curled in a fetal ball all this time, but now it was incumbent upon her to climb, as we could not carry her. When RogerWilco finally coaxed her to straighten out we saw that she hadn’t been curled in a fetal ball at all – she was bent over holding a snake that was firmly attached to her leg!

With Redneckgal’s hands torn and bleeding, and the worsening tic making us think maybe she had some brain damage, and with HammerJane’s numerous injuries and attached snake, it was decided that we would let the girls go up first…not that we didn’t trust Reg3’s knot tying, but rather so we could catch them if they fell. Really.

As the bright white moons of Red and Hammer dissipate up into the wet black sky we menfolk manfully restrain ourselves from pointing and giggling, knowing that each will be closely following the man before him. Climb too fast and your face is up close and personal, climb too slow and the guy below you is gonna have his face in your butt. None of us has showered in 36 hours. We decide to make loops in the rope a decent distance apart for each man’s wrist, and in that manner keep our distance and dignity.

We are fifty feet off the ground when we hear the truck start.

The rest of the story can only be told with certainty by Lewis, who witnessed the girls speeding off in the Suburban, closely followed by a string of naked men, hollering loudly and apparantly trying to ski. He reports that as we cleared the cliff face we flew 10’ in the air and came down sliding. In the brief moments as we skidded by him I could hear him shouting "I am going to have to take down your names!", then we were long past him.

I don’t remember much of anything after the sickening up-elevator feel of that rope taking off, but me, KeyMaker, Reg3, WildlifeMagnet and RogerWilco are gonna give those girls a piece of our minds if we ever see them again.

And Joe. Well, all I can tell Joe is “watch your back”!

Ed

I received this one on my cache named "G-Spot". GCHG10

April 9 by GeoGyn (504 found)

Just could not resist stopping by here for a break on my way to visit family for the weekend. Had absolutely no problem finding the exact spot......afterall, I am geoGYN!!!

(GeoGyn is an OB/GYN if you hadn't already figured that out.)

Edited by Monkeybrad

Here in Pennsylvania, some of the funniest and most twisted logs are written by Tonsil. This is an excerpt from his log for Mountain Spring Lake Siding, a cache that took half a dozen experienced cachers about 45 minutes to find on a day with terrible satellite coverage:

(This log stems from a conversation in the cachemobile about trying to explain Geocaching to the Amish.)

You see Elijah, the angels tell us where to look. They talk to us from the heavens. Somedays the angels don't feel like talking too much, or maybe they do and we just can't hear them. Other times their word is loud and clear, and their guidance is true. Today, the angels were silent. As we strained our ears to listen, we heard nothing. Nothing but lies. Stupid angels.

There is a Cache North of me known as the Mt. Margaret Cache, and this log

showed up when a Califorinian showed up in the woods.

August 9 by BKip (179 found)

Came from CA for a family reunion at Red Feather Lakes. Took along two of my brothers for their 1st GeoCaching experience. On the way to the cache we had a heck of a time jumping the creek and then found the bridge once we were on the other side. Then there were the cows… There was a fairly large herd of cows to either side of the trail. Some fled as we approached. Some strolled away as we neared. And then there were those few, that, by the way they held their ground and stared intently, my brothers and I knew that we had come across a “cowspiracy”. As they debated what to do about us, we scampered off, and cleared the area. Arriving at the cache, wow, what fantastic vistas! Took nada. Left a signature. On the return trip the critters were now tactically dispersed across the trail, waiting for us. Thinking “vegetarian” and not daring to look them in the eye we threaded our way through the bovine gauntlet as they evilly mooed their displease. We eventually made it safely to the other side of the gate where we bravely shouted our love of hamburgers and steak.

Thank you for the adventure,

TeamKip

And then there is the very short log for one of my toughest caches in the hills.

November 23, 2001 by geomite (178 found)

SADISTIC!!

Edited by Tahosa and Sons
Drat19 was in town for business recently and hunted a lot of our local caches.

He had some of the most entertaining logs I've seen on local caches.  He had quite an adventure when hunting A Walk In the Park.    :mad:

He had even more fun at the Keystone caper Cache. :D

For most of us it was a fairly easy park and grab, once you solved the puzzle on the cache page. Dave had three visits to this small neighborhood park on 8/24,30, and 31.

Be sure to read them in order to get the full impact. :D

Maybe this thread topic could become a regualr column in Today's Cacher?

Drat19 sounds like he has my kind of luck when caching. I can't find the simplest stuff and get so ticked off by it.

Today I went to pick up someone's abandoned cache AKA Geotrash; I wisely marked the trail when I left it. Found the Geotrash easily, lugged it back with me while evidently paralleling the trail for quite a distance. I still can't figure out how I made a bee-line from the trail register to the cache then wound up 200' down the trail from the register!?!?

Ya... all them dadgum trees look alike!

:anitongue:

I have really enjoyed this thread, had me howling with laughter late into the night! Just came across this post and thought I'd share it.

From CalTrans cache in Redding Calif.

June 7 by Mr Smiles (122 found)

I zeroed out in the same spot several times. I got down on my knees, then belly, then rolled over onto my back and looked up, (dozed off), went in ever widening circles...got dizzier than the diver...I'm thinking..."sunglasses!" so I took them off and went around again. Then, I'm thinking..."HAT!"...so I took it off and went around again. Soon, I had watch, shoes, socks, shirt, etc., all in a pile on the ground...still no cache! Anymore stripping and I'll be caching from the inside of "Incarcerated".

Home now, covered with "Scooby Doo" strips on all my ow!ies,

and i'm thinking, "this is my favorite cache" so far.!" I'll go back. I'll try wearing a different hat next time.

Edited by geobrowns
Drat19 was in town for business recently and hunted a lot of our local caches.

Drat19 is a heckuva character in person, also. We've had the pleasure/adventure of meeting him at our AGA meet & Greets. You won't soon forget, LOL! <_<

I'm not quite sure how to take that! :lol::lol:

But seriously, thanks to those who referenced my recent NC logs on this thread. What happened to me on those is absolutely 100% true...so I figured I might as well at least make it descriptive enough in a "you are there" way, so readers could at least feel my pain!!

-Dave R.

A local San Antonio geocacher named Bilderback, known for his quick wit and humor, recently visited my caches....

Here are some resulting logs:

October 14 by bilderback (766 found)

It is now obvious that geo-dementia has found another victim in Ms_Behaving. The "curse" has permeated into her brain cells and turned her into an instrument of evil!

Well, not really, but she definitely has put her creativity skills into overdrive on this one...

I managed to wander into the store and do a little browsing, and managed to walk out with my arms full of goodies. The cashier came by as I was looking around, and asked, "Are you part of that computer group that looks around for containers?"

Cornered, I admitted my guilt, hoping to at least get a geocaching discount at the register. She asked if I found everything okay, then told me "Wasn't that NEAT? Now you get 10 percent off your purchase!"

What a lucky guy.

Imagine my surprise when -- while ringing up my order -- she asked, "Do you know Ms_Behaving?"

"Sort of," I replied, "she's one of my favorite geocachers."

"In that case," she told me, "forget the discount. I'm still mad at her for taking my Peanut Brittle Travel Bug out of the cache and eating it!"

Thanks anyway for the nice cache, and for the adventure nearby...

And another one:

October 14 by bilderback (766 found)

I had to wander around the park for about thirty minutes, waiting until a few muggles on the park bench had finshed their toungue-wresting contest. Just as well, because I got to read up on a bit of local history and examine some of the nearby artwork.

Uh, am I the only one who noticed that Juan's horse is, er -- anotomically correct?

Thanks again for the nice cache...

All his logs are equally amusing.....

One of our local poets added this log, plus it was a ftf:

TangoEcho's Log

And then there was this tale of several DNF's before the person finally got to the cache:

Tough!!! This is my first Mississippi cache. I figured I would try this one as it is right across the street from where I lived and seemed like it would be an easy one to find!

The first time I went without my GPS and figured I would poke around and see if I could find it - no such luck.

The second time I tried I found a couple...uh...coupling a few feet away from where my GPS was pointing. I didn’t think it would be diplomatic on my part to walk up and ask them if they had seen an ammo box in the bushes.

The third time it was getting dark when I arrived when my two geopuppies. Somehow I got waylaid by someone else walking their dogs and got to hear their life history, about their divorce, and the wicked person they were with now. By the time this was done it was pitch black.

The fourth, fifth, and sixth trips (I live across the street and walk my dogs in this park) I had no luck – despite having my GPS, no lonely divorcees, or frolicking couples.

The seventh trip was the charm…barely. I had given up and was headed back to the truck. My plan was to send and SOS email. Fortunately I ran into Leatherneck and Wade (don’t know his handle). It took the three of us 30+ minutes of poking around before we finally found it…simple looking back. The actual find goes to Leatherneck – but after 7 trips, I claiming it too!

Ever come across a homeless person near the cache youre looking for? Check on the entries on here:

10SNE1

PART 1 of 2

Yes we continued our search for the second part of the multicache today. Would our third trip be a charm? At Team Namthcof's suggestion we had removed the infamous red herring film cannister on our second attempt. We failed however to remove the wire that had held it in place. As my GPS got closer readings I just knew that today was going to be the day.

Twenty feet away. The anticipation is now just pure excitement. Thats when the Mrs. Cache Rabbit spots it. No, not the film cannister, but the stupid wire. What is it with this cursed tree! Have we somehow been brain washed. Is there some sort of GPS magnetism for this one tree. Our search continues.

I slowly search up and down every small tree in the area and finally see what appears to be a film cannister. Yes, finally. Fifteen feet from the cursed tree is the real second stage of the multicache. We take pictures, enjoy the moment, and decide we must conquer the cache today.

PART 2 of 2 YOU MUST READ PART 1 FIRST

We drive to a location closer to the cache. We cant find a decent trail so decide we will just bushwack the 100 yards to this cache.

Now just 30 feet away all I see are tall reeds, flags or whatever they are called, that clearly indicate a lot of water. Could the cache have been placed here? We decide to walk to the other side. Everything seems to point right in the middle of this area. The cache rabbit family decides we must go in to get to the cache.

My GPS gets to within 8 feet when I realize, I've crossed the pond, which thankfully was dry, and the cache is clearly on the outside. Tricked again! The Cache Rabbit children are wandering in the seven foot tall weeds somewhere, when I spot it! Yes this has got to be where the cache is located. I see a pile of very stategically laid branches. Afterall, the clues say something about bark. But I think to myself, "Its an awefully big pile to be hiding a cache." Maybe its a racoon inside, maybe a possum. I want to reach out and take some of the branches off to look inside, but how do I protect my fingers from what may be awaiting me? My brain says to my right hand, move, but as if paralysis has set in my right hand wont move. I try with my left hand but get the same result. I realize that my legs do still work, and maybe I can get a better look from another angle.

I step around a little bit, and thats when I see two eyes staring at me. What do I do? Thats when I hear a voice, "How are ya" Its a homeless guy. Is he sitting on the cache? What do I say? In a moment of pure stupidity I give a Joey Triviani like "How you doin?" How do you think he's doing? He's homeless, and living in the woods of a city park. Obviously he cant be doing to well. How do I recover from such an ignorant comment?

Thats when I hear the Cache Rabbit children to my right. I hear my 14 year old say, "Watch out". I look to see a branch is catapulting its way towards my 7 year olds face. SMACK. We've got a bleeder. I explain to my oldest that the "Watch out" must come before the release. Meanwhile the youngest is screaming in pain as blood runs from both her mouth and nose.

We've got a homeless guy a few feet away, who probably thinks we're mistreating our children, my youngest is bleeding, and being cleaned up by Mrs. Cache Rabbit, and we still dont have the cache. My GPS reads 8 feet from target so I know its near. Thats when I spot it, finally I've beaten my children and wife to a cache. Pride wells up inside me, I've finally beaten these four women to the cache. Crud, can I get excited? My fourteen year old has walked off, my seven year old is crying and bleeding, my wife is cleaning her up, my eleven year old stands nearby bewildered by it all, and the whole time theres a homeless guy hearing the entire thing. Yet theres the cache!

I must somehow signify that I have found the cache, be compassionate with my youngest, and avoid a homeless geomuggle. I devise a plan. I say to the youngest, "look over there I think I see something." Of course the only thing she can see are the stars from the blow to the head, and a tissue soaking up the blood. Somehow Mrs. Cache Rabbit manages to get everyone over to the cache. We pull out the cache, trade a tire guage for some stickers, leave our signature card, and decide to just get out of there. I get about half way out when I realize I forgot to take a picture. Do we go back? We decide to get a picture another day. Hopefully, it will be much easier next time!

Thanks Team Namthcof for the excellent caching adventure.

Is it bad form to resurrect an old topic (what not posted to since 2004?)? Who doesn't love reading a well written and humorous log. Even better when it's on one of your caches. The cacher Aerialmedical down in El Paso, TX always posts good stuff. Here is one of his from a cache near one of our local geological features:

We couldn't think of a better way to spend the Sunday afternoon than to drive the family into a volcano. Heck, the little ones thought that sounded swell. We loaded up and hit the dirt under the beautiful, blue skies. After a picknick on the black-sandy beaches of Kilbourne, we tottled around the lava rock, the sun slowly baking us. (The sun likes to do hot things out in the middle of the desert, it appears). A cold shandy helped to cool things down...After expiring our time at that tropical spot, we travelled west .5 miles to get to the BigHole cache area. We rolled up as close as possible and I went it alone. I hiked/jogged/hopped down towards the cache and ended up a few hundred feet past it...(whoa there, fella...). I turned around and started scaling the lava wall. I arrived at GZ and felt like a kid on Easter morning, at the egg hunt. After injecting ink into the log, I enjoyed some moments to myself, perched upon Earth's black, dried-up snot. Life is good...tender moments like these out in our beautiful ELP/NM deserts...priceless. I crawled up the HUGE blocks of lava, back to the fam and the curatins came down on Kilbourne. You've done well, Bird, bringin' us out here. TFTC - a classic...an American standard.

He also posts cool pictures with his logs. Check out the log entry.

Couple of my favourite logs that have been posted on some of my hides.

"Sister H slid down and quickly located it. Now, how do i get back up there? Answers on a post card please. Hubby walking away shouting he will get mountain rescue on the case!!"

"Went out with S of Just us two to find this one. After finding the right area, was feeling a bit like in a Lara Croft - Tomb Raider game, so down the bank unsteadily I went. Eventually we found it with a clue or two. At least I was dry today!, oh that was until I started on my way back up. Chose a different route to the bank I went down to return to the top, got half way up and slipped and right back to the bottom on my bum.... in the mud! So not a dry day for me today either!"

The old Oregone logs were sometimes very funny. Whatever happened to him?

Even though it's my log, I thought this one was pretty funny if you know the background of where the cache is hidden. It's a rest area that is popular with middle age men "cruising" for other middle age men.

And I'll be darned if I can find it among his numerous finds, but Keyston'e player account (Leprechauns) had a log years ago where he turned a park and grab into what seemed like an adventure, pitching a tent bringing all kinds of gear. It was absolutely hilarious

Edited by briansnat

Didn't find it

19 Jun 09

More (mostly fictional) misadventures of Jbeck2 - the Newbie Geocacher.

Today started out better than expected. The puzzle didn't even slow me down - it fell to a few deft blows from my HP28s from my old university days. (Reverse Polish Notation is great for solving circuits!)

Since the full Camo outfit and night-vision goggles didn't work so well on my search for Polywantsanomial, (plus it was hot out), I opted for shorts and a tank top. (That sound you hear is the people who have already been down here laughing when they just read that).

Marching confidently down the side road - within about 100 yards of the cache, I was thinking - Piece of CAKE!.

That's when things started to go downhill. (forgive the pun) Peering over the near vertical downhill slope toward the cache, any doubts I had about being able to get down the hill to the cache were dispellled.

I got down quickly.

Very quickly.

In fact, I think I now hold the record for speed of a downhill descent without the use of a bobsled. (or, for that matter, feet).

Fortunately some thorn bushes and a rotting tree with a hornets nest in it slowed me down near the bottom. (I attempted to explain to the hornets that I was Geocaching, and was in no way attempting to invade their home, but they were even worse than the muggle I encountered on my first attempt at the Domo Avogadro cache. Very unhelpful.)

I stumbled around looking for the cache. It was difficult to see with all the dirt, pine needles, and ants that had collected in my eyes during the descent. However, I was releived to feel my hands bump up against the unmistakable surface of a metal can.

Gotcha!

My vision was starting to clear a bit at this point, but everything was still a blur. I couldn't seem to get the cap off the cache. I tried to warm up the end of it with a pocket lighter while giving the end a few sharp raps with a rock in an attempt to get it to come loose. (I saw McGyver do this once, so it's got to work, right?)

The first indication that something might be wrong came when I heard a hissing sound from the cache... I'm new to Geocaching, but they're not supposed to hiss are they?

The second indication was an earth-shattering boom.

After the smoke, (and my eyesight) cleared, I found myself sitting at the bottom of a three-foot deep crater, with my hair and eyebrows smoking like Wilee Coyote. I once again contemplated the importance of making sure what you're opening is in fact a Geocache, and not - as in this case - a discarded propane cylinder with some of the propane still in it.

Just then, a bunch of muggles in a red truck with a loud siren, funny outfits and high pressure water hoses invaded the area. So I was forced to retreat. I will have to come back another day to find the cache.

So that's why I couldn't find the cache today. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

---------

Ok, so now to be serious... (Most of my logs are wild exagerations of actual events, only loosly based on reality. :) I got to GZ but couldn't locate the cache. Ran out of time. (But I DID spend a good 30 minutes on the ground searching)

Since this was to be my third puzzle cache, I figured I'd participate in the Cache-in-Trash-Out initiative. I brought a small Walmart bag. It was like bringing a BB-gun to the Normandy Beach invasion.

Near GZ I noticed:

- 3 full-size propane bottles

- 2 smaller propane bottles

- 20 odd metal cans

- 1 cooler bucket

- An old PC

What all this was doing down there is anyone's guess, but this amount of trash filling an otherwise beautiful spot was hard to take. I pulled out two larger metal cans (the limit of what my garbage bag would carry).

I am vowing to return here soon, find the cache, and carry at least one of the dadgum propane bottles up the slope and to a recycle center.

Found it

23 Jun 09

Further adventures (mostly wildly exagerated) of Jbeck2, the Newbie Geocacher...

I was happy to see today that following my last attempted visit, the site is now no longer under surveillance by the police bomb squad.

Time to make another attempt.

This time I came prepared:

Long sleeves - check

Bug repellant - check

Hiking boots - check

Ice Axe and crampons - check

Parachute - check

I brought everything I could conceivably need, and a lot of things I might not - you can never be too prepared.

I hoisted the 80-Liter "expedition" backpack on my shoulders, and Look out cache! Here I come!!!

I began my approach to the cache similar to last time. I reoriented myself after the usual head-over-heels tumble down the hill and: Good news! No broken bones this time!

Then I ran into a bit of a snag... Looking around wondering what to do next.

Now at this point some of you are probably asking "Why isn't he just following his GPSr to Ground Zero?".

Some of the more experienced cachers are also probably asking "Why did he leave his GPSr on his bedside table while stuffing the mask and snorkel into his backpack?"

Fortunately, I was able to pick up where I left off last time by locating the 3-foot-deep blast crater inadvertently created last week. I believe I have given a new meaning to the phrase "Ground Zero".

Being careful not to step in the still smoldering depression, I spiraled outward... and outward...and outward...A GPS would really come in handy about now, but I was definitely not admitting defeat yet to go back and get it. Besides, I'd probably have to remove the ski boots from the top of the pack in order to fit it in anyway.

At last, I found a location of particular interest. I explored it thoroughly, but it turned out to be a gopher hole. It did not contain the geocache. This would be of little consequence were it not for the fact that it DID contain a gopher.

CHOMP!

"Ouch! Hey! Aren't these things supposed to be Herbivores?!? Let go of my thumb you overgrown rat!!!"

Shortly thereafter, several muggles heard my shouts of alarm and came crashing through the brush to figure out what was going on.

"Are you OK?" they asked.

Trying to be as nonchalant as it's possible to be with a large rodent attached to your thumb, I answered: "Oh...Fine...Fine..."

"Then why are you wearing a goalie mask?"

"It wouldn't fit in the backpack."

"I see."

Obviously my subterfuge worked, as they glanced at each other for a moment and left. (Why are muggles always in such a HURRY?)

I was finally able to detach the gopher from my thumb by sitting down, putting it between my legs and giving a sharp tug upwards. The upside was that my thumbs were now out of biting range. The downside is that the even more ticked-off gopher bit the next nearest thing he could find, which was unfortunate given his position.

I was worried that my even louder (and higher pitched) yells would attract the muggles back, but I managed to again detach the gopher by falling down another hill. (I think he let go out of fear) He gave me a rude gesture and lumbered off back to his hole. Good riddance.

I staggered around for a while trying to shrug off the bumps, bruises, and two rodent bites in increasingly alarming areas of my body - and the surprising thing was I did actually manage to find the cache!

The irony of finding a Geocoin in it with "Cacher Needs Maintenance" on it was almost too much to bear.

---

But seriously now... This hide had it all. Great puzzle, Challenging terrain, and a great hide. (Sneaky!) TFTC!!! And I did manage to cart up one of the propane bottles in a macro version of Cache-In-Trash-Out. There's two more down there... Who's up next? :)

Ah yes, I'm lucky enough to live in jbeck2's town, and have been honored by seeing his tall tales on some of my own caches. Here's a compendium of his misadventures: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=74fb01f0-9039-4e35-9aad-0ce110f1e3b3

Most of his logs contain the phrase "That's when the trouble started...".

BTW, his puzzle caches are as funny as his logs! And they're great puzzles too.

Edited by Viajero Perdido