New Tb Design

Jeremy

I was hoping with the next generation of GPS there would be a slot for the travel bug to go into and the GPS would read the bugs bar code. The information would be sent via a wireless link and your discovery or grab would logged. Logging the TB placement in a new cache would be done via the same slot.

Your thoughts. :blink:;)

I was hoping with the next generation of GPS there would be a slot for the travel bug to go into and the GPS would read the bugs bar code. The information would be sent via a wireless link and your discovery or grab would logged. Logging the TB placement in a new cache would be done via the same slot.

Your thoughts. :blink:;)

sa-weet

Although there should be an option for choosing Retrieve or Discover. You put the bug in and it provides the mission, description, etc. then you choose the action. No need to enter the code manually.

Nice idea and I bet it'll happen one day.

Not clear on the placement part. Scan it just before release so the system knows you are placing it?

Edited by BlueDeuce

Even cooler would be to make that function available now utilizing the barcode scanner on our smartphones. Being able to discover, retrieve, and drop off TB's and geocoins. It would be pretty awesome.

Smartphones are changing the way people geocache and they are bringing more and more newbs into the fold. I am one of those folks. Without my new Smartphone, I never would have started geocaching. I am still a noob but I think I'm around to stay for a little while.

I'm bummed. I can't even see it on my computer! Wonder why. I'm a complete newbie on the forums, I would appreciate any help! ;)

Can't see what? A bug you picked up or a bug you've purchased/activated?

Oh, no, I can't see the picture of the new travel bug design. :anitongue:

I don't see that you've activated any traveler on your account. Did you activate one on your WeCacheTogether account?

I do see that you've logged two travelers owned by other people.

The new design is the actual tag attached to a traveler. There's no new design for the icon that would show on your profile, whether you own it or not.

Edited by BlueDeuce

What I would like to have is a pendant with the TB bug image - basically for the same principle as having a tattoo but less painful or permanent. I tend to wear gold jewelry so I would like it to match with that. I wouldn't want it to be as big as the dog tag.

Does anyone make these? I have searched but so far no joy.

I think that they would be a great gift for a cacher.

If I looked at getting one made up would I need to get permission for the use of the TB logo? This doesn't seem to be required for those getting tattoos.

I don't see that you've activated any traveler on your account. Did you activate one on your WeCacheTogether account?

The new design is the actual tag attached to a traveler. There's no new design for the icon that would show on your profile, whether you own it or not.

That's just it, the picture that Jeremy posted in this thread of the new design for the tag isn't showing up. It just has a text placeholder saying "user posted image".

Kinda bumming me out since I really want to see what it looks like. :D

That's just it, the picture that Jeremy posted in this thread of the new design for the tag isn't showing up. It just has a text placeholder saying "user posted image".

Kinda bumming me out since I really want to see what it looks like. :D

Are you talking about Jeremy's post from back in 2004? Where ever that photo was stored may no longer be available. That was 6 years ago. A lot has changed since then.

This is what the current Travel Bug dog tag looks like:

travelbugwcopy-inset_500.jpg

What I would like to have is a pendant with the TB bug image - basically for the same principle as having a tattoo but less painful or permanent. I tend to wear gold jewelry so I would like it to match with that. I wouldn't want it to be as big as the dog tag.

If I looked at getting one made up would I need to get permission for the use of the TB logo? This doesn't seem to be required for those getting tattoos.

Try this.

Travel bug Marble

Are you talking about Jeremy's post from back in 2004? Where ever that photo was stored may no longer be available. That was 6 years ago. A lot has changed since then.

(snipped image to save thread load time)

Wow, I didn't even notice the date... My bad, should've been paying more attention. Everyone gets to be a dunce one and a while :P

(snipped image to save thread load time)

Wow, I didn't even notice the date... My bad, should've been paying more attention. Everyone gets to be a dunce one and a while :P

Sadly, I do it more often than most... :)

I think the new design is an improvement. At least the text spells it out somewhat more clearly as compared to the previous version. I was just curious as to when the newly designed TB dog tags will be available? :D

I was actually just looking for a TB for my pooch, if you get an answer e-mail me please!

I got mine from Groundspeak, it's one of the cachekinz with the dog bone on it. They are really cheap made and wear quickly if attached to your collar.

I guess Groundspeak doesn't want us to use the "Copy" tag as a replacement for the original anymore. Is this a ploy to try to sell more TB's?

I was just putting together some new TBs and noticed that the one tag says "Do not keep me! I am a Travel Bug"

but the "Copy" tag says "Keep me! I am a COPY TAG."

If that's what they're going to do, I would just as soon have just one tag, because I'm certainly not going to put out a TB tag that invites the finder to keep it.

I don't need a piece of metal to write the name of the TB on for myself; all the info I need is easily available on the TB page.

To me, the "COPY" tag is just a piece of trash.

I'll stop here, because if I go on anymore, I'll start using bad words that the mods will have to edit.

I have a trackable item, or well I own 6 to be exact and was wondering and seeing that TB's do not have an icon image and are generally grouped under the TB categories. Is there a way to add an Icon to your TB or Coin, or is it possible to create one for all users to distinguish.

Once these logs are posted or updated - can they be deleted ???

Edited by K-and-K

I have a trackable item, or well I own 6 to be exact and was wondering and seeing that TB's do not have an icon image and are generally grouped under the TB categories. Is there a way to add an Icon to your TB or Coin, or is it possible to create one for all users to distinguish.

Not for travel bugs. Check here for details on coins.

Geocoin and Trackable Minting, Geocoin Reference, Shipping, Activating, Adopting, Shopping, Courtesy, Do's & Don't Guide To Geocoins & FAQs!

Edited by BlueDeuce

So I just bought a few "new" TB's from Groundspeak. What's with one of them not having the code stamped/engraved on it?? I enjoyed having the "copy" tag to keep for my $5-$6 investment. I have a nice collection of them. I never saw a "made in china" label on them before either. I always thought the original ones were really neat. I liked the more oval version with the code stamped on it. Wish they would Re-issue them one day. I hate it when good things get cheap!!!!

IMO, the worst part about the new tags is that the COPY tag says 'KEEP ME I AM A COPY TAG" making it absolutely useless as a replacement for an original that has gone missing.

joeinmi - I'm glad that you like to keep a collection of "copy" tags. For me, if I can't use them, they're just more junk to add to the landfill.

IMO, the worst part about the new tags is that the COPY tag says 'KEEP ME I AM A COPY TAG" making it absolutely useless as a replacement for an original that has gone missing.

I don't think the copy tag was ever meant as a replacement for the original. It's meant to be kept by the owner. Just like the military dog tags.

I don't think the copy tag was ever meant as a replacement for the original. It's meant to be kept by the owner. Just like the military dog tags.

Probably not, but shouldn't there be a back-up tag? Granted if two tags that where identical it would confuse people thinking they could release two tags at once. But we've done pretty well when one simply said copy. Otherwise, really, why two tags?

Edit: okay, maybe that was before when they didn't have the tracking number on the bug page. Still, when better to create and offer a duplicate?

Edited by BlueDeuce

Maybe it waan't MEANT as a replacement for the original, but it was commonly used that way. Except for BD's comment that they used to not have the tracking number on the bug page (I don't remember back that far) I don't see any reason to KEEP copy tags at all if not to be able to use them someday. Now the only way to get a replacement for a lost tag is to make your own (or have somebody make it for you.)

I think that GS's reasoning is that they'll sell more tags/numbers if we can't use the copy tags. Well, they won't sell more to me; once I have the number I plan to continue to use it even when the oroginal tag is long gone.

Maybe it wasn't MEANT as a replacement for the original, but it was commonly used that way. Except for BD's comment that they used to not have the tracking number on the bug page (I don't remember back that far) I don't see any reason to KEEP copy tags at all if not to be able to use them someday. Now the only way to get a replacement for a lost tag is to make your own (or have somebody make it for you.)

I think that GS's reasoning is that they'll sell more tags/numbers if we can't use the copy tags. Well, they won't sell more to me; once I have the number I plan to continue to use it even when the original tag is long gone.

Here's line from Groundspeak's Travel Bug FAQs

"Why are there two tags?There is one tag that says "COPY" on it. This tag you hold on to to keep as a memento and a quick way to check up on your bugs. It also works as a good backup if your original Travel Bug comes up missing."

I don't need a memento. I don't need a quick way to check up on my bugs. I sure don't need another keychain. The only thing I need the copy for is a "good backup" when (not if) my original TB comes up missing.

If people are searching for suggestions, I think it would be very useful to have the TB code printed on the tag in QR format (those square squashed-space-invader codes that can be read by mobile phones). This is a standard means of distributing short strings of info, and it is highly likely that, if this is done, future goecaching smartphone apps will support scanning the TB code in this way...

cat-s-trophy-qr-sm.png -- My trackable

Similarly, it would be cool if cache owners could place a QR code on the cache container holding the cache ID, but this would be a bit harder. However generating the code for print is easy: QR Code Generator

hidden-valley-qr-sm.png -- My cache

Steve

Edited by sshipway

Just got my first travel bugs, my only complaint is that they are made in China. This game was invented by an American using American satellites and I am sure that you could have found an American company to produce the travel bugs right here in America.

Just received my latest batch of TB's with the totally new design.... it's been awhile.

My complaint is with the redesigned COPY tag.

For some of my TB's that went missing over the years,

I've re-launched them using the COPY tag which was identical to the original,

except for the minor inclusion of the word "COPY".

With the totally new design - the COPY tag has totally different wording,

as the intention is to have the orig owner keep it and not use it as a "backup".

At this point - the COPY tag can't be used as a backup TB or for a re-launch TB.

I wish they would not have done that...

Just received my latest batch of TB's with the totally new design.... it's been awhile.

as the intention is to have the orig owner keep it and not use it as a "backup".

At this point - the COPY tag can't be used as a backup TB or for a re-launch TB.

I started a Feedback thread on this. Please add your votes at;

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1777871-travel-bug-copy-tag?ref=title

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1777871-travel-bug-copy-tag?ref=title

Done.

If people are searching for suggestions, I think it would be very useful to have the TB code printed on the tag in QR format (those square squashed-space-invader codes that can be read by mobile phones). This is a standard means of distributing short strings of info, and it is highly likely that, if this is done, future goecaching smartphone apps will support scanning the TB code in this way...

Similarly, it would be cool if cache owners could place a QR code on the cache container holding the cache ID, but this would be a bit harder. However generating the code for print is easy: QR Code Generator

Steve

You can get QR style travel bugs from a company called Cache Advance, they are on facebook. They are also a registered seller for Groundspeak.

I hadn't realized that. Voted, definitely!

I too thought that QR tags would be a great idea! I got into caching through my smart phone. QR tags would make things so easy.

Someone made a QR trackable, already. But it doesn't work for everyone. Not everyone has a phone that has that app.

You can get one in the smaller shape of a ID Dog Tag or .75 inch Star if you contact GxPROXY.com. We have them at events and by email requests.

Steve

You can get QR style travel bugs from a company called Cache Advance, they are on facebook. They are also a registered seller for Groundspeak.

You can also get them from GxPROXY.com they just announced a new "Clocklworks" tag on FB for $4. And they can replaced over and over for a $1.00 Also a Registered seller for Groundspeak.

Just got my first travel bugs, my only complaint is that they are made in China. This game was invented by an American using American satellites and I am sure that you could have found an American company to produce the travel bugs right here in America.

GxPROXY.com - go into the Marketplace - makes Made in USA trackables and Proxy Stunt Doubles for ALL trackables. You can contact them.

Jeremy,

I like the new wording but I still think there should be two tags produced per TB. Production cost to set up and print / stamp the two tags at the same time shouldn't be much more. What are we talking......a few cents? If you're mass producing the TB's they should be giving you some sort of "bulk" discount anyway. Thanks for allowing us to input. :rolleyes:

I guess that is why they sell TB Buddies that explain that you must keep it moving and do not keep it. If this was on the TB it would save having to buy these as well - but would that be a good thing for businesses or not?

I'm bummed. I can't even see it on my computer! Wonder why. I'm a complete newbie on the forums, I would appreciate any help! ;)

Can't see what? A bug you picked up or a bug you've purchased/activated?

Oh, no, I can't see the picture of the new travel bug design. :anitongue:

I can not see the design either - tho i realised this forum was started some time ago.