Calling Cards ...

Sandstorm

I just visited one of our caches for a regular check-up - and it's nice place to sit in the sun as the weekend approaches. :mad:

As expected the contents had deteriorated since we last restocked - but that's another rant. Along with a few bits of junk (a twig, sweet wrapper etc) I removed from the cache 12 calling cards. Now my question is; what are they for? They're not for swapping are they? Are they for me? Or are they to remain in the cache ad infinitum?

Each of the cachers has left their mark in the log book, written up an amusing web log and I'm sure TNLN or made some interesting swaps. So what's with the calling cards?

Call me an old grump (hey less of the "old"). It's Friday ... I'm trying to chill ... but my goat has been got.

I'd be interested to hear other's views on calling cards, pro or con.

Sandstorm

Now my question is; what are they for?  They're not for swapping are they?  Are they for me?  Or are they to remain in the cache ad infinitum? 

Each of the cachers has left their mark in the log book, written up an amusing web log and I'm sure TNLN or made some interesting swaps.  So what's with the calling cards?

I always try to leave a sig card in caches I visit as well as signing the log.

My take on it, is that the cards are for the cache owner, just a reminder of the people that have visited your cache an bit like the card that ham radio people send to one another.

Some people may look to swap them though.

Geo

Every calling card has been made specially by the team who's name is on the card. We think it is a really nice touch a sort of thank you for leaving the cache for others to find. When you think someone sits down and spends their precious time designing their sig cards then there is the printing and cutting out.

Take it as an honour that someone thinks enough of your cache to leave one of their calling cards. We are always proud and honoured to find them in our caches a sort of gift for the cache owner.

Joan

I think you have raised a fair point there Sandstorm :mad:

I would imagine that they are for the cache placer to take away for a keepsake of his (or her) finders as Harold1066 suggested!

Otherwise, I would have thought that maybe a sticky label with one's own personal logo to stick in the log book might be sufficient embellishment !?

Ullium.

I must admit this thought had crossed my mind too. I've visited some caches with 10 or a dozen calling cards - what happens when it fills up??! :huh: A bit like the stack of business cards piling up in a corner of my desk at work....

But if they are intended as a gift for the cache owner, I guess that's OK. Just remember to take them away occassionally!

My take on it is that I liken calling cards to the highest point on Maslows Hierarchy of needs scale(Link) - the "self-actualisation" part.

The need for self-actualization is "the desire to become more and more what one is, to become everything that one is capable of becoming."

With leaving the cards, I think it is another form of expressing yourself on visiting a cache. I personally am not a big fan, on the other hand see nothing wrong - I just think the psychology behind them is interesting.

Take a person new to geocaching, and apply them to the Hierarchy of Needs:

Physiological Needs: Just finding the cache, making sure that they get the co-ords right, and the cache page printed. Usually people go with someone else to find their first cache.

Safety Needs: If hiking or elsewhere in a non-Urban environment, having good equipment. If in an Urban environment, trying not to get mugged - or look too suspicious.

Belongingness and Love Needs: Easy Tiger! Here we're looking at forum usage - or attending event caches, or simply exchanging mails with other cachers.

Esteem Needs: This is about achieving, or gaining approval or recognition. Becoming a 'prominent' cacher - maybe through placing caches that are acclaimed as being good within the community - or focusing on finding 100 caches, or perhaps writing really notable and funny or witty logs.

Self-Actualisation: This is where a person makes a creative or productive effect on his/her environment. Here I would suggest that this is through hosting websites for geocaching, or mailing lists/forums, and leaving the aforementioned calling cards.

Self-Fulfilment: I'm too sure about this one - it means to help others find self-fulfillment and realize their potential - so perhaps this means helping new cachers or introducing other people to the game.

Discuss! :huh:

:huh: Now hold on there - nobody suggested we had to get all psycobabble about a few pieces of laminated card! :lol::lol:

We've had views both ways - and I'm sure a few more will come in yet. My personal view is cards are unecessary.

The log is in the cache for people to make their mark - to prove they were really there. And we (well mostly the kids) like to find some interesting goodies to swap. I'm 100% in favour of people leaving a trademark swap - the T&J bears or Hedgehogs left by Mr & Mrs Hedgehog are good examples. And I have no objection to a sticker or stamp in the log as a quick way to leave your mark. But to me, calling cards, no matter how carefully crafted, seem to be superfluous clutter.

It's just a one view and I know others will continue to enjoy placing and rummaging through piles of cards. Each entirely to his own.

Enjoy. :lol:

Sandstorm

I like finding the calling cards of previous finders in caches I find, each one is different and expresses something about the person who left it that the log book entry alone probably doesn't.

So far I've left laminated calling cards with my "avatar and blurble" in several caches, and recently I've been leaving home made stickers with the same design in the log book instead.

Unless a cache is a micro, they realy dont take up much space. One benefit is when the weather is so FOUL that holding the log book open for more than a few seconds renders it saturated, you can just drop your card in quickly and use the online logging for details.

I think there is s sense of 'making a connection' in geocaching, and if that contact can be augmented with a little personalisation I'm all for it.

Edited by Fangsy

I confess to finding a box full of them irritating. Especially when they spill on the ground and need picking up, or there are so many the box is difficult to close.

As for them all being different. I have to disagree. 99% seem to consist of a theme based on the GC.com logo, laminated, with a bit of writing. I have never been remotley inspired to make them, or even read them after the first half dozen seeemed all the same.

Signature items as left by some other people, that usually display more imagination, and create something that finders can then take away and use make much more sense to me. If people really have to leave some special mark in a cache then they should be putting stickers or stamps in the log in my view.

(BTW, when I accidentaly urinated on a hidden cache, I was not trying to leave my mark. I was still looking for it!)

another form of expressing yourself on visiting a cache. I personally am not a big fan, on the other hand see nothing wrong - I just think the psychology behind them is interesting.

We leave a calling card in most caches and craft special ones for certain special occasions like number 100 hundred and 5/5s. Maslow was OK in his thoughts however the hierarchy of needs is rewritten each year and spun out as a "new" tool. Calling cards to me are like graffiti taggers, or cave paintings you are leaving something personal as well as the log. Letterboxing stamps are probably the way to go and when i get round to it a personalised stamp will be made based on our card and the cards used only when the log book is to small. I find this thread quite interesting as no one has mentioned the fact that to publicise geocaching two boards covered with sig items was created. I agree that our cards would be better replaced with something usefull like a branded corporate gift and cash permitting we will probably go that way next year as well as the stamp.

Yep - psychobabble. Thanks.

Next time I won't bother trying to make a thread interesting.

Hey sorry. :huh: I couldn't cope with anything too taxing on the grey matter this morning (that includes spelling psychowhatsit).

The placing of a your own new cache in a unique and interesting / inspiring location surely best fullfils the self-actualization need. It is the most constuctive and creative side to caching.

Sandstorm

I like calling cards, I don't always have time to read the log book, and some peoples writing deserves to be on a prescription!

At a glance you can see who has visited and you come to recognise peoples cards. I agree many are very similar though, c'mon guys lets see some variation!!

We always leave cards, a well thought out cache will have a seperate bag for the log book to sit in, I always leave the card in there rather than just toss it in the cache box.

Personally, I like to see other people's calling cards, and I gather that some people like to trade for them. When I place a cache I will probably keep any calling cards which are left.

I love caching because there are many aspects of it to enjoy. And for me, one aspect is mucking about with a paint program applying bowler hats to photos of lizards, and then laminating the results. :huh:

surely this is another "whatever floats your boat " type question?

it doesn't do any harm to leave a calling card, as a cache owner if you don't want them either trade them at the next cache or recycle them in your rubbish.

i got a stamp made instead of a calling card, so i sign and stamp the log book. that's what i wanted to do and i hope the cache owners don't mind.

i love originality. maybe the card leavers should have a progressively changing card so that they can be swapped and kept as keepsakes. if they're all the same then once you have one where's the incentive to get another? just an idea.

psycho analysing the issue? feel free. people mainly like to leave their mark and to make contact with likeminded people. if they do that with cards/caches log entries whatever. each to their own.

I use cards, two types and various designs.

Type one is a thank you card to the cache owner for placing the cache and saying that we enjoyed our visit. If we didn't enjoy we don't leave a card.

Type two are cards in one of my caches which carry a picture of the area near the cache and are for visitors to take home if they wish. It also thanks them for visiting.

I use cards, two types and various designs.

I also use two different variations. The first is just yer ordinary 'bog standard' laminated card that simply says that 'This cache has been visited by Pharisee' or words to that effect.

The second is a numbered, limited edition, card that I only use on 'Grockles Grand Days Out'. Usually the edition is limited to 10 and each edition is different, giving details of 'the day out' and the date. A bit pretentious....? of course it is but I don't really expect people to fight over them (or even read them, come to that). It's only a bit of fun, after all :):D

Im all for the calling cards, Ive designed my own after seeing so many different designs left in the caches Ive visited. And as someone stated earlier you come to regognise certain ones, sometimes you havent time to read through the whole log, so a quick look through the cards let you know who's vsited. :)

Like the idea mentioned earlier of changing the designs. :(:(

If any are left in my cache I would keep them. I really dont think they do any harm, take up little room and add variety.

striderpaul

Personally, I like to see others Calling cards and will usually have a quick glance at these even in hard rain whereas, like others have said, in order to keep the logbook dry I sometimes have to be very economical in what I will record in the log book. However, what seems a little worrying is the number of "RULES" that some appear to try to attach to our fun and very open hobby. With common sense, there's no need for rules on how to behave. I'm sure the hobby gives different things to different people so why worry?

Edited by Budak_Melayu

By the time we reach a cache the calling cards are often scattered loose in the bottom of the container. We think it then looks messy. We usualy attempt to gather the cards together and put them in the bag with the log book.We are not naturaly tidy but think the cache looks more cared for this way.

I confess to finding a box full of them irritating. Especially when they spill on the ground and need picking up, or there are so many the box is difficult to close.

As for them all being different. I have to disagree. 99% seem to consist of a theme based on the GC.com logo, laminated, with a bit of writing. I have never been remotley inspired to make them, or even read them after the first half dozen seeemed all the same.

I tend to agree. I raised this point about two years ago after finding a cache full of sig cards and nothing else. I have learned to live with it though, as individuals play the game in their own way. I don't see the point personally, but it can be nice to find one of a cacher that you know personally.

One cacher had a good idea. Take a picture punc and punch out your sig on the paper your signing. This takes up less room and leaves an individual mark.