Where Can't I Cache?

Not a topic about why; just where?

Has anyone compiled a list of places that are off limits for caching? I'm not looking for generic answers like major bridges, railroad tracks and military bases. And I know National Parks are not allowed.

What other agencies have issued a blanket ban on geocaching? <_<:)

Come on Flask, surely there is some rocks you need moved, or in fall there are piles of leaves to sort thru, why, even in winter we've been known to hide some in the driveway, just to have the snow shoveled out! If it wasn't for the not burying it rule, I'd have 'em all over the acreage just to have my dirt moved! (Hey, I didn't bury the one in the driveway....nature did!).

Ahhh... I understand now, You could taunt him by arranging one of the said cache's at a kindly neighbors and watch him go at it tho'. I mean, digging in the snow, moving rocks. And then hours into it, hold up the ammo box and say" you're not even close yet!" I bear no grudge against sept1c_tank, haven't met him, and hope he doesn't find my house! Now I'll leave the forum so someone more helpful can get him some true answers!

It looks like all of the places that have been mentioned and that I have seen mentioned through time here have been in the US.

Are there places outside the US where geocaching is not allowed?

Are there countries that have an agency like the National Park Service? Do any of them have policies or restrictions like we face with the NPS?

Just from seeing in the past about the various governmental bodies that have banned geocaching I can't really recall seeing this mentioned about another country. Or is banning just a product of the land of the free?

From the guidelines:

(Added 5/28/02) Please do not place caches on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans. If you find a cache in one of these areas please remove it and replace it a safe enough distance from the site to ensure that the site will not be impacted by people searching for the cache and unknowingly traveling over or through a site.

National Wildlife Refuges too.

Not a topic about why; just where?

Has anyone compiled a list of places that are off limits for caching? I'm not looking for generic answers like major bridges, railroad tracks and military bases. And I know National Parks are not allowed.

What other agencies have issued a blanket ban on geocaching? :):laughing:

Here's what you do..

Make a list of every possible set of lat/long cords out there.

THEN delete from it every set of lat/long cords listed for caches on this site.

Then you will have a list of places you can't cache. :lol:

Seriously, though, I think that 95% of the banned places are national parks or state parks.

...(Added 5/28/02) Please do not place caches on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans. If you find a cache in one of these areas please remove it and replace it a safe enough distance from the site to ensure that the site will not be impacted by people searching for the cache and unknowingly traveling over or through a site. ...

Oh but they can't tell you where the archaelogical sites are. However I can tell you that anyplace cool and interesting, or along a river, or where modern humans tend to enjoy is where people alsl USED to enjoy. So to truly follow this rule we would be limited to LAME URBAN MICROS. You could only do those because your modern city has allready destroyed most of the archeological significance of the land it was built on.

Translation. This is a rule can't be enforced. Beause of the secrecy there is no problem until someone tells you there is a problem. The secrecy works to protect sites, but at the same time it means we visit these sites every day without knowing it and do just fine.

i thought it was a list for sept1c_tank. HE can't cache at my house.

Wow!! That was cold. I know him personally, nice guy.

El Diablo

nah, i never met him either. he's probably just fine. i'm going to go remove my smarty-pants and go to bed now.

I admire someone that admits a mistake. I think I like you!

El Diablo

TVA, the city of Oak Ridge, TN about it around here.

A city has banned geocaching? :rolleyes::unsure:

According to the research I did last month for this article in Today's Cacher, caching was not only allowed in Oak Ridge, but there were supporters of the Haw Ridge Park, where 13 caches have been hidden.

If caching has, indeed, been banned in Oak Ridge, I'd like to know the reason for the development, if anyone knows. Thanks.

Geocachingpolicy.info has a list of places that have policies, or bans.  I don't know how up to date it is and of course it's not comprehensive, but its a good start.  If anybody knows of specific policies they should contact the site's owner.

Thanks for the link, Brian. GeocachingPolicy.info appears to be a very useful site, though I wonder how comprehensive it is. I did check my state and found information I did not know.

Anonymous: I assume Boulder county is in WA. How can a whole county ban geocaching? :lol::(

From the NYGO website:

The following outlines the current guidelines for placing geocaches in New York. This information was compiled with the assistance of NY-Admin.

* Geocaching is currently banned in National Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, and DEC Forest Preserve lands. This includes the Appalachian Trail. It is a National Park, therefore caches may not be placed on or in close proximity to it.

* All of Fire Island is off limits for caches.

* Albany Pine Bush preserve is also off limits to geocaching.

* Geocaching may be permitted in State Forests and Wildlife Management Areas under a permit from the DEC and proof of insurance.

* Caches may be placed on State Parks managed by New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. A special use permit may be obtained from the parks head Ranger at no charge.

i thought it was a list for sept1c_tank. HE can't cache at my house.

Wow!! That was cold. I know him personally, nice guy.

El Diablo

nah, i never met him either. he's probably just fine. i'm going to go remove my smarty-pants and go to bed now.

I admire someone that admits a mistake. I think I like you!

El Diablo

it wasn't a mistake; it was the smarty-pants answer to the question "where can't i cache?"

not "where can't anyone cache?", but "where can't *I* cache?" (emphasis mine).

it does not matter who the questioner is when taking the smarty-pants route. for reference, though, i will have to state firmly that there is no caching to be done at my house. my neighbors' houses yes, but not at mine.

from junglehair -

> * Geocaching may be permitted in State Forests and Wildlife Management Areas under a permit from the DEC and proof of insurance.

Proof of insurance?... :)

A cache has to have insurance? That's a first.

Acer0001

Its actually not a first. There have been many people who have attempted to get permission to place a cache and were told sure, but insurace was required. In some cases, after additional discussion, the insurance reqirement was lifted, but not always.

In NY, I believe the DEC requires a $1 million dollar liability policy to place a cache.