Would You Be Offended By This?

Would you be offended by a cache, probably a micro, disguised as a cross by the side of the road? You know the kind, we see them every so often. I know how some people might feel, especially if they've lost a loved one in a traffic accident, for that matter I have too. But I'm not talking about hiding one on or near a real memorial. Just something simple and "normal" looking. Far enough off the road to be safe, and near easy and safe parking, but visible to passing cars.

I'm nearing 100 finds, and I want to place a few more well thought out caches to celebrate.

If you are offended, please don't flame me, hey at least I asked, right? :blink:

Thanks for opinions!

I wouldn't mind, but I suspect you'd catch all heck from somebody.

I'm really fascinated by this phenomenon. I've been tempted to do a photo study of the shrines I've run across, but I don't know what I'd do with it.

I was in London a week after Diana's funeral, and they needed bulldozers to deal with all the flowers and bears and pools of wax from candles. It was really strange, reading the notes and seeing the things people thought were appropriate to leave in the park to honor a dead adult woman.

I think you answered your own question. Disguising it as a cross could offend either families of accident victims, or even anyone of strong religious faith. While I like your intent (a well-thought-out cache idea), why risk rubbing folks the wrong way like that?

Having said that, seems to me you could come up with some other clever disguise for a roadside cache that would not be potentially-offensive to some, you think?

FWIW...

-Dave R. in Biloxi

I think I've seen a pic on these forums similar to the type of cache you're talking about. Personally, I would think it is acceptable, and even clever!

However... do take care that it's NOT in a dangerous spot (curve, blind drive, at least 15-20 feet from the roadside etc), and there is a spot nearby that a car can SAFELY pull off the road to find the cache!

I say go for it! You shouldn't let the possibility that someone might be offended keep you from placing a new idea for a cache. It's clever, and it's a good alternative to the micro on a guard rail or ammo can in the woods.

People who get offended by every little thing seem to be changing this entire country. Everything is getting way too PC for me.

People who get offended by every little thing seem to be changing this entire country. Everything is getting way too PC for me.

Please don't misunderstand my other reply post above. I AGREE WITH YOU...things are WAY too PC around this country these days, and I personally wouldn't have a problem with the cache idea. I was just pointing out the possibility that some might have a problem with it, and whether the cache hider would want to deal with that.

-Dave R.

I think I've seen a pic on these forums similar to the type of cache you're talking about.  Personally, I would think it is acceptable, and even clever!

However... do take care that it's NOT in a dangerous spot (curve, blind drive, at least 15-20 feet from the roadside etc), and there is a spot nearby that a car can SAFELY pull off the road to find the cache!

there was a pic of a cache like that posted. the name on it said GEORGE KASHE, with the geo in george in darker letters. nothing wrong with it at all. it even had a wreath on it.

Ok, I'll be the only one that disagrees. I'm not religous at all (in fact I often look for lightning bolts from the sky coming to strike me down), but it wouldn't be for me.

I think once I got close and saw the cross/shrine, I'd pass just on general principles.

Funny though, I love caching in old cemetaries. Guess there's a slight difference in my mind, but don't ask me to explain....

I hate them to begin with. It's only a matter of time before someone in trying to see something they saw out of the corner of their eye loses control and kills themselves thanks to a cross memorializing someone else who did something similar.

Some of these things slowly grow into a memorial cairn which can cause death in their own right being so close to the roads and being made of rocks and other objects that are not friendly to errant vehicles.

So I don't think a fake one is a good idea. Let alone you probably shouldn't park alongside the kind of road that collects these crosses for recreational purposes.

Edit: On the other hand, in your own front yard has potential...

Edited by Renegade Knight

I found that exact cache yesterday. It was very tastefully done. The cache page describes how this is a location where many accidents have happened in the past. The cross seemed quite appropriate and there is a real memorial near by.

The only thing I questioned was how safe was it to be walking around fences by an entrance ramp to get to the green space. We were adults, moving quickly. It is definitely not a cache for kids. All the way, I kept trying to think of how we would explain what we were doing should we get stopped by the local police. Parking was not exactly easy, we used the pharmacy down the street.

I have to agree ... if the cross or shrine is next to a busy roadway, then you have to deal with the safety factor. If the shrine was close to a busy road then I would not stop. I had an uncle that was struck by a passing car while he was standing on the shoulder of a highway. The impact lifted him out of his shoes.

Actually, this one was on a hill so it was well out of view of traffic, and well away from traffic as we opened the cache.

The questionable point was where we had to go around the fence, around the fire hydrant, next to traffic going onto the highway. We watched, then timed it so we were not going around near cars. After that, we climbed the hill and were out of view of the highway quickly.

The weeds provided plenty of coverage. The cache itself is not viewable from the highway, the real one might be.

We probably were seen by people getting onto the highway, and that was all.

If I was brought to that spot for a reason, I'd consider hunting it if I didn't have to put myself in any danger to get to it. But if its just a fake cross on the side of the road and there's nothing there to see, I would probably pass it up. Would there be any history behind where the cross is placed or something worth seeing while I am there? A clever hide is great, but it just isn't that interesting for me unless there's something cool to see while I am there.

I think I've seen a pic on these forums similar to the type of cache you're talking about. Personally, I would think it is acceptable, and even clever!

I too think it's a neat idea, and definitly one that pushes the box further.

But do be careful on the location. After all aren't these memorials already positioned somewhere where someone wasn't careful?

I say go for it! You shouldn't let the possibility that someone might be offended keep you from placing a new idea for a cache. It's clever, and it's a good alternative to the micro on a guard rail or ammo can in the woods.

I'm gonna go the opposite way for a change. I usually say things are OK. I love cemetaries, and see no reason to avoid them as long as you are sensitive to people in cemetaries.

This one, however, (while I wouldn't be offended) nags at me, "No, I think not..." This is not a PC issue. If you think it is, then go for it. This is a "what kind of person do you want to be?" issue. The potential for a negative is certainly there...and though it is a clever idea...you can live without it. I think that was $0.03 worth.

Would you be offended by a cache, probably a micro, disguised as a cross by the side of the road?

The idea makes me uneasy. People driving by would see the cross and assume that a tragedy had taken place, and at least some would be saddened by the thought. It just doesn't seem to fit the light, fun spirit of the game.

Hmmm, I guess I will never really have an original or unique idea. I have plans for such a cache. The name on it is going to be George K. Ashe. I have permission from the city and it will be located in a safe spot our of the way for traffic. I chose it for the fact that such crosses are common in Arizona, and a geocache should blend into its surroundings. It would be a cache in plain site that no one would pay attention to.

I say do it. I find the roadside memorials kind of strange anyway. Most end up being left and never visted again. They become a rundown eyesore after a while. At least you will maintain the location and not let it turn into roadside clutter. If people are offended, especially non-cachers, screw 'em.

Happy caching.!!

As a finder, I think I would feel a little uncomfortable searching around/in a cross at the roadside (especially if in view of non-cachers who wouldn't know what was going on). Kudos for trying to think of a creative idea, though -- maybe something more secular would work.

Thanks for the opinions folks. Probably not worth it, and it's not like it was truly original anyway. :o

Maybe a cache disguised as police officer with a radar gun...a dummy in a Crown Victoria...you screw off the end of the radar gun to get the log...nah, nobody would want to sign the log, afraid they might get a summons! :o

(No offense to all you law enforcement folks, I think you guys and ladies are super, really! You do a thankless job for far to little pay.) ;)

Closing a thread that has served its purpose, thanks again everyone!

Edited by Spencersb