Geowoodstock2

Hats off to the MTGC for throwing one of the best events of any kind that I have attended ever. No matter what geocaching means to you it was there.

Numbers/quality, community, hides/finds, competition, making new friends/seeing old ones. :)

Oh and the catfish and PIE :blink: was pretty special too. :lol::):P

I'm ready for next year already.

Our local group (NEFGA) puts together some pretty great shindigs but this one beat them out by a nose because I got to meet cachers from all over they place & get to put real people with the names I've seen in the forums (CCCooperAgency, CYBrett, CarleenpP, ClayJar, RobertLipe, JoeGPS, MtnMan, TheHobos, SBUX, AbbeysGrammy, WimseyGuy, GeologyGirl, We4NCS, Nashville Joe, SIS and a host of others). Then there was the caching at both the event and the marathon (until 4am) caching sesion afterwards with my NEFGA friends Paintfiction, Federation, IceCreamMan and new friends Legm, GeologyGirl, WimseyGuy & We4NCS) The people were great (never met a cacher I didn't like), the food was great (never met a catfish w/ hush puppies I didn't like) & the caching was great (never found a cache I didn't like). Made me sorry that I wasn't there last year but made me look forward to doing it again next year.

Mustard Devil came bye for a couple hours and told me some stories. I wish I could have been there. (OK. He was showing off the dozens of travel bugs he brought back. :blink: )

What's this about CarleenP asking everyone for dirty golf balls? :lol::):)

SNOOG6.jpg

BTW- Watches on one of my caches jumped from 49 to 70. Thanks JoGPS. :P

Edited by Snoogans
I wasn't able to make it this year ... but I wanted to go. It would be great to read what everyone thought of the event. Was there also live music like 'Woodstock' the concert?

Not quite, but if you went downtown on the 4th I was on stage playing the cello for the vast throngs, backing up Sara Evans, The Oak Ridge Boys, etc. Does that count? :blink: And there were at least 4 caches within sight lines of where I was sitting onstage.

The event on the 3rd was great - I wasn't there for the whole time, but still met quite a few of the folks there. And I'm getting tons of emails from gc about folks who found my caches over the weekend - sorry they're so easy folks!

I have not posted anything yet was waiting to get all the numbers in on:

Record for Travel Bugs at an event

Record for most caches logged in a city in one weekend

Record for most finds in a straight 24 hour period ( old record was 238 NEW record 242 )

Record for how much fun you can have and still not go to jail

Record for how many pies wimseyguy can eat at one setting and BTW he won the grand prize on the poker run that he has to pick up in Oklahoma City ( long story )

Records of a lot more stuff, should be posting by the weekend

And YES there was singing, there was a moving cache there that you has to sing a few bars from a USA patriotic song to log it. And if I am not mistaken the “ Leprechauns “ had the best voice which is not surprising he seems to have one of the best voices on the forums and was a pleasure to meet him and gruval at his feet, being the true word assassin of the english language that I am ……… JOE

Not quite, but if you went downtown on the 4th I was on stage playing the cello for the vast throngs, backing up Sara Evans, The Oak Ridge Boys, etc. Does that count?  And there were at least 4 caches within sight lines of where I was sitting onstage

Sounds like an offer to be music director for next year's event to me. :lol:

I'll bet those ORBoys would love to go caching with us.

PS adding to JoGPS's log: Record for most dirty golf balls presented to a single cacher at an event. :)

Ah yes the pies! :blink:

Edited by wimseyguy
What's this about CarleenP asking everyone for dirty golf balls? :P  :P  :(

Yeah what is up that Carleen has a bag full of dirty and broken golf balls in her luggage?!?!?!?!

I haven't counted them yet, but be aware that revenge is coming!!!!! :P

Seriously though, it was one great event! I just got home and need to start logging. That could take me a week!!!! The work that went into the event was amazing and I send my thanks out to those who did that. I loved meeting so many people and that catfish was darn good too!!!!!!

:(

Edited by carleenp
What's this about CarleenP asking everyone for dirty golf balls? :P  :P  :(

Yeah what is up that Carleen has a bag full of dirty and broken golf balls in her luggage?!?!?!?!

I haven't counted them yet, but be aware that revenge is coming!!!!! :P

:(

I can not tell a lie. The whole prank was Mustard Devil's idea. :P

SNOOG9.jpg

I haven't counted them yet, but be aware that revenge is coming!!!!! :(

I got to go caching with Carleen and several other cachers on the poker run part (which turned into us just wiping out all the caches in that part of the park). At one we found -- yes -- a cut and dirty golfball. I showed it to Carleen and jokingly said it must be hers. :( I wasn't going to give it to her, but she insisted with a chuckle.

Oh boy, I feel sorry for you guys. :P :P

wimseyguy, thanks for starting this topic. It was great to meet you! It was a fantastic time and the MTGC folks and JoGPS did a stellar job of getting things together. If you missed it you missed out.

Okay, I need help, what/when was Geowoodstock? How would I have known about it?

As I missed this one when is the next one?

Yep, I think I'm there too. Mustard Devil really told some great stories. He got to cache with a few people that I would reeeeeeally like to meet too.

SNOOGAV.jpg

Do they plan to continue holding it on 4th of July weekend for GeoWoodstock3 and the future or is that uncertain?

I realize it might be a great choice for some, just not for me due to family obligations, and I don't see them becoming cachers.

However, I'm not complaining, and think it's a great event any weekend of the year. :(

Okay, I need help, what/when was Geowoodstock?  How would I have known about it? 

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e5-d77ed4bf2907

The event was held in Nashville, TN. It was talked about in the forums. There was a topic here in this forum where juggler complained about the date of July 3. JoGPS even posted a topic in the Organized Geocaching section a couple of weeks before the event. It has been an idea cooked up by several cachers and started last year. There were about 60 or 70 people last year. It was three times that size this year.

The next one is under discussion right now. No telling where or when it is going to be this time.

Okay, I need help, what/when was Geowoodstock?  How would I have known about it? 

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e5-d77ed4bf2907

The event was held in Nashville, TN. It was talked about in the forums. There was a topic here in this forum where juggler complained about the date of July 3. JoGPS even posted a topic in the Organized Geocaching section a couple of weeks before the event. It has been an idea cooked up by several cachers and started last year. There were about 60 or 70 people last year. It was three times that size this year.

The next one is under discussion right now. No telling where or when it is going to be this time.

Having read the Markwelled thread previously, I viewed it again and realized other familiar names hope for a different weekend as well (El Diablo, Corp of Discovery, etc.).

So, I'll go ahead and put in my two cents now for next year. I'd love it if they could plan another weekend so that I could still honor the family traditions. Some of them simply wouldn't understand and family members I've converted to caching don't have the influence. :(

Mtn-man, if this is off-topic, please tell me to start a new thread or feel free to move it.

edited for typos

Edited by Teach2Learn
I wasn't able to make it this year ... but I wanted to go. It would be great to read what everyone thought of the event. Was there also live music like 'Woodstock' the concert?

Actually, there was... In order to log Trash Bags 3 Is Moving you had to walk up to sis and sing something patriotic, so there was quite a bit of marching in place singing yankee doodle (oh wait, was that just me?) in order to log the cache..

When I feel up to it, I'll write a long thing about the weekend and post it here for all of you who haven't been able to attend.

The holiday date also let a whole bunch of folks attend, we are actively working on next year, date and place if you like, someone start a thread about what date is agreeable to all and that’s when we will have it, but lets be real here that’s not going to happen.

There is no way to satisfy everyone , but we do try…………………. JOE

I had a great time a the event, those one way roads around those mountain=hills in those parks were killer! We loved the mad dash around for the 11 game caches! Never a dull moment! Loved the catfish and hushpuppies.

The cache run the next day was great, my group consisted of MosesTron, GrannyLani, MustardDevil, TeamAlamo, JoeKing, myself and one other guy. We cached from 8am to 430am minus a few hours for dinner and 2 pit stops (thank Esspea!). We found a ton of caches, and had a great time. We even had a run in with the cops that TeamAlamo handled like a pro.

All in all it was a great time, and I can't wait til next year!

The holiday date also let a whole bunch of folks attend, we are actively working on next year, date and place if you like, someone start a thread about what date is agreeable to all and that’s  when we will have it, but lets be real here that’s not going to happen.

There is no way to satisfy  everyone , but we do try………………….  JOE

I realize the holiday date allowed many to attend, am sincerely happy for them, and appreciate the work you and others put into the event, but for the many who couldn't attend because of the date, could another option be considered?

How about having it on the 4th of July weekend on even-numbered years (e.g. 2004, 2006, 2008, etc.) and scheduling another weekend on the odd-numbered years (2005, 2007, etc.)? This might open it up to a completely different group of cachers (still a large number, I think) and some cachers might still attend every year.

I realize this may be wishful thinking and too far in advance, but I thought it would be better to mention it now. I'm confident the event will continue to grow along with geocaching if the planners continue to do such a good job.

edited for additional thoughts :laughing:

Edited by Teach2Learn

GeoWoodstock 2 was by far the best geocaching event I've attended yet!

Had a good time eating, caching, visiting with all my friends, making new friends too!

Thanks to Mosestron and GrannyLani for taking us all over Nashville caching.

I really enjoyed it, even the caches I've already located like Its For You!

Having said all that, its time for me to go hide somewhere!

The dirty golfballs thing was a prank carleenP!

I get the feeling I'm gonna pay for that too!LOL

Had a good time eating, caching, visiting with all my friends, making new friends too!

Folks, MD and I attend many of the same great events. I can't get my mind around anything BETTER. Now I HAFTA GO next year. WOW!

SNOOG6.jpg

Look for some special golf balls traveling to your area in the near future....... :laughing::blink:

We are planning on attending next year. I am not sure what weekend it could be moved to since the 4th of July weekend is pretty much a 4 day weekend for all. I almost suggested Sax Man's Campout, but realized that is going (at least I think) to be every Memorial Day weekend. I saw the list and would love to have met in person quite a few of the cachers I have heard of. But we are up for it next year, just need a time and placed. Sorry we missed it this year.

We are planning on attending next year. I am not sure what weekend it could be moved to since the 4th of July weekend is pretty much a 4 day weekend for all. I almost suggested Sax Man's Campout, but realized that is going (at least I think) to be every Memorial Day weekend. I saw the list and would love to have met in person quite a few of the cachers I have heard of. But we are up for it next year, just need a time and placed. Sorry we missed it this year.

I've never seen it to be a 4 day weekend. Being a specific date it can fall on any day of the week and is not really suited for a weekend thing all the time. If being on a holiday weekend is what's needed, Memorial Day or Labor Day would be much better. As for a 4 day weekend, I think Thanksgiving is more of one than any other holiday. But that would be out of the question for most people.

I am not sure what weekend it could be moved to since the 4th of July weekend is pretty much a 4 day weekend for all.

A 4-day weekend for the 4th of July? Wow, that's a great deal for those who can schedule it, but I see that as an exception to the norm.

Even then, I think for many it's still the family tradition/plans they can't escape on that holiday (because of those relatives that do get the 4-day weekend and come to visit). That's why I proposed alternating years. If the event site can change yearly, I think the date could at least alternate without causing major problems. For me, any summer weekend other than the one closest to July 4th would work. Though I hasten to admit that may not be true for a majority, I do think it would still work for a large number.

And if I am not mistaken the “ Leprechauns “ had the best voice which is not surprising he seems to have one of the best voices on the forums and was a pleasure to meet him and gruval at his feet,  being the true word assassin of the english language that I am    ………  JOE

Leprechauns, you wouldn't be off topic at all.

Just because some of us wish it could be on another weekend (at least sometime in the future :P ) doesn't mean we're not appreciative of all the hard work the planners did to make GeoWoodstock2 such a wonderful success. If you read the comments fully, I think you'll see that.

I know I'd like to hear more about the aforementioned concert you gave. :P

What patriotic song did you pick and did you give an encore?

Edited by Teach2Learn

Actually, I'm planning Sax Man's Campout to be on 4th of July weekend next year.

If GeoWoodstock wants to use that weekend, or wants to have the event in Colorado, get in touch with me. Maybe we can combine events or work with each other in some way.

We are planning on attending next year.  I am not sure what weekend it could be moved to since the 4th of July weekend is pretty much a 4 day weekend for all.  I almost suggested Sax Man's Campout, but realized that is going (at least I think) to be every Memorial Day weekend.  I saw the list and would love to have met in person quite a few of the cachers I have heard of.  But we are up for it next year, just need a time and placed.  Sorry we missed it this year.

Actually, I'm planning Sax Man's Campout to be on 4th of July weekend next year.

If GeoWoodstock wants to use that weekend, or wants to have the event in Colorado, get in touch with me. Maybe we can combine events or work with each other in some way.

I vote for some place more scenic ... how about Dodge City, KS??? At Dodge City you get to tour Boot Hill and there is always the sweet smell of the local meat packing plant and stockyards. Ah, there is nothing like the fresh sweet smell of hundreds of slaughtered mammals to brighten-up your day. Or ... we could go to the pristine mountains and wilderness in CO.

We are planning on attending next year.  I am not sure what weekend it could be moved to since the 4th of July weekend is pretty much a 4 day weekend for all.  I almost suggested Sax Man's Campout, but realized that is going (at least I think) to be every Memorial Day weekend.  I saw the list and would love to have met in person quite a few of the cachers I have heard of.  But we are up for it next year, just need a time and placed.  Sorry we missed it this year.

I vote for some place more scenic ... how about Dodge City, KS??? At Dodge City you get to tour Boot Hill and there is always the sweet smell of the local meat packing plant and stockyards. Ah, there is nothing like the fresh sweet smell of hundreds of slaughtered mammals to brighten-up your day. Or ... we could go to the pristine mountains and wilderness in CO.

Um...I think that's a vote for Colorado... :P

Just to add my 2 cents, it was certainly a pleasure to travel to Nashville for Woodstock. Joe missed one record the least amount of sleep in 3 days for an event I think the team from Florida only managed to get about 10 hrs in 3days with cachhing ti 4 or 5 in the morning each day we didn't have much time to sleep on the hard ground. Ican't really add much to what has already been posted good food, good friends old and new and grat caches. I constantly hear Nashville slammed as Cacheville due to the number of Micros there. But if you anyone wants truly difficult multi style caches they have that too. I ahd the Prilege of completing 3 of my top 10 caches while in Nashville. My salute goes out to the owners of The Homeless Bathtub, Too Many Secrets, and Your Voice is Your Pasword. Had we not taken time to do those caches I am sure we could have added another 50 or 60 caches to our total for the weekend.

Thanks to all those who made this possible. Just one thing that might add to the flavor of the event is if you all could secure an offical GeoWoodstock camping area so we could fellowship before and after the event. Sort of a post event event.

In the words of a famous cacher"Welcome to Woodstock where it Is all about the numbers"

thanks

the federation

We had a good time in Nashville!

2f00e1da-d10f-4f53-833e-93362a0b718c.jpg

Can't say enough good things about the weekend. Thanks for the invite, JoGPS! Met all the megacachers. Grabbed 185-190 in 17 hours of hunting, due to the heroic efforts of Mosestron and GrannyLani. 300 on the weekend gives me a backlog of 400 (!). It will give me a chance to rest my blown out kneecaps.

QUOTE (carleenp @ Jul 6 2004, 05:02 PM)

QUOTE (Snoogans @ Jul 6 2004, 03:38 PM)

What's this about CarleenP asking everyone for dirty golf balls?     

I haven't counted them yet, but be aware that revenge is coming!!!!!

Okay I can't stand it any longer....How many golfballs did carleenp end up with?

Enough to start her own driving range?

Am I glad I live in Houston! Thats a long way from Lincoln, Nebraska[:P]

The grand total of golf balls is 58. Boy did people save the most dirty and broken ones too! Apparently golf balls have some sort of greasy liquid inside, because there was greasy stuff in the bag from broken ones and it smelled bad!

Now let me get this straight: Mustard Devil posted a note that Snoogans said people should bring me a dirty golf ball. Did Snoogans request that, or was it a double joke on Snoogans too? I need to know where to direct my revenge! Feel free to point fingers at each other. :(

Oh never mind.... I will aim the revenge at both of you. Ha ha! :(:wacko:

I beleive as I was doing a few of the caches on the poker run that I heard Mustard Devil snicker when I mentioned the golf ball thingee, but I could be mistaken That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :(

Hey! Did I get a chance to say "hi" to you at the event? It is all a blur! I think that for every person I met, I missed some that I wanted to meet. I know that you were on my list, as were Our Woods, who I saw, but did not get a chance to catch up to. :( Next year then I hope!!! :wacko:

Curious ... was Geowoodstock II more of an adult event or were there some families with kids? It sounds like a lot of people stayed out all night and got very little sleep. You do not want to be around my kids when they don't get enough sleep ... talk about grouchy.