Pharisee 600

PS what is a grockle?

Thanks for the accolades, peoples. That really nice of y'all and much appreciated.

Donnie.... Normally I do all my caching on my own but occasionally, I team up with Omally, Merman and Keith of The Motley Crew for a spot of 'team caching'. When the four of us are out together, rampaging across some unsuspecting part of our countryside, we undergo a strange metamorphosis and become 'The Grockles'. (See picture on reverse of card). It started last summer when we joined forces for the first time and made a successful assault on the 'Vectis' caches in the Isle of Wight. I believe the term 'Grockle' originated in the West Country (Cornwall?) and is an irreverent term used by locals to describe tourists. What do you call them up in Caithness?

'The Grockles'. (See picture on reverse of card). It started last summer when we joined forces for the first time and made a successful assault on the 'Vectis' caches in the Isle of Wight. I believe the term 'Grockle' originated in the West Country (Cornwall?) and is an irreverent term used by locals to describe tourists. What do you call them up in Caithness?

We dont really have a generic name for tourists, not any polite ones anyway ;)

We generally get lots of different tourists from all over the place and one word would not be able to sum them all up! from faroese (sp?) to dannish to french and german even the odd englishman!!! We also seem to get quite a few of these strange caching tourists and you can follow the holiday route round the north by all the caches they find!

I think anyone who has the 'inconvenience' of tourists whatever you choose to call them should think themselves lucky. ;) Just think of the economy! ;) However if they get in the way of caching - its OPEN SEASON! ;)

Did anywon see a wabbit?!!! ;)

The Hokesters

EDIT - the for they in "However if they get in the way of caching"

Edited by The Hokesters

I think anyone who has the 'inconvenience' of tourists whatever you choose to call them should think themselves lucky. ;) Just think of the economy! ;) However if the get in the way of caching - its OPEN SEASON! ;)

Did anywon see a wabbit?!!! ;)

The Hokesters

I maybe should of added more smileys to my post. Tourists spend a lot of money in our area and are very welcome by almost all the locals. The only problem is that most of the money they spend must go straight to the goverment by the way of petrol duty ;);) It must be a shock to the a wallet especially if you have come from a foreign country with the exchange rates as well at the moment, Otherwise you couldnt ask for a better place to come and spend some time after all I live here :D

I maybe should of added more smileys to my post. Tourists spend a lot of money in our area and are very welcome by almost all the locals. The only problem is that most of the money they spend must go straight to the goverment by the way of petrol duty.

Dude! I run a family owned petrol station so the discussions re petrol duty? Only every minute of everyday!

The stories I could tell about the last fuel strike when I was supposed to be on my honeymoon!

Anyhow...the way I see it...grockles/tourists = cash (we used to do car hire too and blimey how we used complain about taxes :-) but at the end of the day we are all statistics to those folks in government. Vote with your vote.

Oops is that off topic?

The Hokesters

Edited by The Hokesters

Well done and big congratulations. :P

I have only done two of your caches so far and I enjoyed them both, partly because they are near to my home town in the Herts/Beds area. It's always nice to go back to old "stomping grounds" and relive some happy memories of my youth!!! :lol:

(Yes, I really AM that old - it's the big 40 in August!!! <_< )

(Yes, I really AM that old - it's the big 40 in August!!!  :) )

LOL... I was riding a G9 Matchless and chucking scooters over the sea wall at Clacton when you were born.... go on... you work it out :D:):)

Didnt realise you were a vespa hater! :D:):D:D .

Glad I never went to the bash on my piaggio scoot or it might of ended up in the river spey :o:unsure::D:)