Dollar Coins

Stooper and B.

What is everyone's opinion on trading with the "gold" dollar coins? I have often traded with them and thought I was making a good trade. Usually I have traded up for little army guys, bouncy ball or other foriegn coins. The caches I seem to find always have those types of trinkets in there.

In my mind a gold coin is of much greater value then what I took, but I have read in other threads that spare change can sometimes be thought of as

"un-imaginative" or some such thing...

But if you think of it, the gold dollar coin is fast becoming a thing of the past and could be worth something someday (many many many many years from now) as opposed to a couple of 10 cent plastic army men.

I don't mind too much if people want to trade with army men, could be worth something to the trader. My question: are gold dollar coins something you would find "un-interesting" and "thoughtless"?

Cash is ALWAYS good. <_<

On a side note: Any "golden" (or Sacagawea) dollar that's been circulated will never be worth more than $1. Uncirculated ones that aren't graded higher than 68 (out of 70) aren't likely to be worth any more. The opinion of these coins by most coin collectors is that they're junk (from a collectability standpoint).

I don't mind too much if people want to trade with army men, could be worth something to the trader. My question: are gold dollar coins something you would find "un-interesting" and "thoughtless"?

You can get often get sac dollars (as well as susan b.'s and Jefferson two dollar bills) at any bank that has them. They almost always have to go check in a vault somewhere, but are generally happy to get rid of them (since no one else is likely to ask for them, and they'll just still there talking up space). So they are availabe, but because no does this, such coins are rare in circulation.

The thing about complaining about change is (or at least when I complain) about common pocket change. Reach into your pocket right now. What do you find there?

What you likely have (if there was any change) is very common get it at ever cash register, clad or coat, dull looking circulated change. (Which for me would probably include many of those state quarters.) Theres nothing at all interesting about that sort of stuff. So until a lot more people start using dollar coins. your probably alright.

I have traded into caches golden (sakagewa), sba, and my favorite eisenhower dollar coins. It's like a gift certificate to the dollar store <_<

I also have left several coins as ftf prizes in one of my caches. (Peace dollar, etc.)

Also have put alot of Euro coins in caches recently.

Coins that are not everyday coins are very cool.

Dave

I like using the dollar coins. I dont' usually trade so when I find caches with something I really like, I always carry a few special coins tucked away in the camera pocket. And I think even if they never increase in value, just having to ask at a bank means that they aren't that common and you put some thought into getting them.

I personally think they are fine. Even if what you traded for is more in value than one dollar, you can still stop and 7-11 and get something for it. Last I checked 7-11 doesnt accept plastic army men or McToys.

I think you can get Susan B. Anthonys at the post office in the coin operated stamp machines. To get them recycled a few years ago they started putting them in the machines so you would get your change in Susan B's.

Actually, I find that the best and easiest places to get dollar coins (mix of the old and new) is ANY post office stamp machine (big vending style, often in grocery stores) or any of the soda machines that take a five dollar bill. We have one at my work that will take a five and either give dollar coins as change for a purchase, or just to break the 5.

Definately a nice item to swap, often as an upgrade to a little item. (I'm looking for the perfect gps holder and it needs to have a little pocket for these, so I can always have a few, so all I'll ever need is my gps and treo to be able to hit an 'off the cuff' caching moment.)

I have traded them,and watched the log on what happened.

I took The Sac Dollar(s) all over the place around the Lewis and Clark Trail and made a note of it when I left it.

The next person along grabbed it took it 500 feet to the soda machine and bought a soda,because they forgot to bring water.

What do you think?

One man's Treasure is another man's soda.

I like finding them and trading them(Coins) that is it dosn't not matter I like and collect unusual coins.

It's that when they leave a regular piece of change, for something good because they forgot to bring a trade item(s)that get's me.

The things we learn along the way.

i love coins. i've found buffalo nickles, wheat pennies, 1943 pennies... good stuff.

i also love foreign coins, although since i live near canada i do not consider and canadian coin besides the loonie and the twonie to be interesting.

tokens from public transit or arcades not familiar to me are also high on my list.

the thing you can count on is that any trade item that is something you'd be pleased to find is a trade item somebody would like to have.

I have to agree that it's loose change that I don't like.

I mean even if suddenly the sac dollars came into greater circulation, they'd still be pretty cool. But if you think about it, even if lots of people start trading the sacagawea dollars, they're still worth a bit. And I mean, it's really a dollar and not twenty five cents, so it's worth something.

It might not be very imaginative, but it's sometimes cool.

Normally in a cache, I'll leave a small baggie. In that baggie is my personal magnet and either a cito container or some kind of coin, more often than not it's a gold or susan b anthony dollar, and then if I like the cache I'll put in more stuff.

I don't know if it's "unimaginative" or not, but I think they're still more valuable than an army man, or a mcdonalds toy...

Many geocaches are about history, so the gold colored dollar coins are fitting trade items. Geocachers are almost always lovers of the land so it is only appropriate that a coin meant to honor the Native American thereon be placed in a cache. Sacajamima, the Native American who first made the pilgrims a hearty stack of buttermilk pancakes with delicious maple syrup, is credited with saving the lives of 36 settlers. The local Indians called them “Flat-cakes-cooked-on-a-screaming-hot-rock.” Even though the pilgrims would later change the name to flapjacks, the breakfast delicacy has continued through the years with little change. The slathering of the flat cakes with heaps of melting butter would not come until 1902 during the great butter glut, when pretty much anything that didn’t move was covered in butter. Today, we have many choices of fine eating establishments all eager to serve us a towering stack of Sacajamima’s wonderful pancakes. The most famous of these is, of course, the Interracial House of Pancakes, where friendly folks of all races and religions can come together in peace under the blue roof of love and eat in harmony.

Yes, Sacajamima would be proud of how her flat-cakes-cooked-on-a-screaming-hot-rock have changed the world for good.

I consider the dollar coins in a different class than those who simply garb a few pennies, nickels and lint from a pocket and toss in the cache. Maybe to keep the coins nice and so they aren't mistaken for "loose change", you can get some of those coin holders that are cardboard and clear plastic, made to protect coins.

I agree wholeheartedly with those above - dollar coins are a great trade item. The fact that you are trading dollar coins for plastic army men and other near-geo-junk items reflects very positively on you. Thanks for doing your part to trade up! By consistently improving the caches that you visit you are making the game more fun for all those that follow you.

Cash is always good :lol::D:P

One item that I sometime trade are ancient Roman coins (over 1600 year old). Not very expensive >$2.

google or ebay "uncleaned roman coin" I usually buy them in lots of 10 and clean them up. The really nice ones I keep for myself, but some of the average ones I do consider sharing.

i'm in england, wish i could get hold of some of those gold dollars would make great trades over here. anyone able to get some to me? not readily available here, banks will have notes but not coins.

i agree with the others cash is good, mint coins better, not just what you take out from your pocket.

Golden Dollars (aka Sacs and Sackies) are great trade items. Just remember that they are only worth a dollar, so if you see that nice, new Mini Mag Lite you want, just trading one golden dollar is lame.

When they came out, I was on a one man mission to put them into regular circulation. I'd get two rolls a week from the bank and spend them everywhere. I'd get reactions ranging from "I can't believe you're spending these", to "Sorry, we don't take Canadian money". :lol:

Old coins in general are great trade items. I usually stock my micro caches with Indian head pennies, mercury dimes, buffalo nickels, Kennedy halves and Ike dollars. I really should check them first. For all I know I could be putting in an Indian head worth hundreds of dollars. Most of my Indian heads are in great condition. I wound up with 6 rolls of them after my grandfather passed away. The dimes and nickles are well worn, so I'm sure they aren't worth much.

Edited by briansnat
What is everyone's opinion on trading with the "gold" dollar coins? ... But if you think of it, the gold dollar coin is fast becoming a thing of the past and could be worth something someday (many many many many years from now) as opposed to a couple of 10 cent plastic army men.

I like, and use, dollar coins on a regular basis. Many vending machines accept them, and ticket machines at bus terminals, etc. routinely dispense them as change, as do stamp machines in many post offices. After feeding the machine a $5 or $20, it's sort of fun waiting to see whether one will receive SBAs or Sacagaweas (or both!) as change. I just think it's unfortunate the Sacs loose their luster (by design, according to the Feds) so quickly. I've seen Sacs and SBAs in many caches, but they don't seem to be traded with the same zeal as "Where's George" (or "Where's Tom") bills.

I never really thought about putting "Goldens" in a cache for a trade. The more I think about it, the more I think it is a great idea! I went with the kids to grab a cache last week, only to find we had left our "Swag Bag" in the car. I still had my bag with GPS, camera, compass, etc - but no swag. I 'll have to remember to put a bunch of "goldens" in my bag JIC it happens again!

I'm so proud. (tears coming to eyes) My first thread and so many encouraging replies! I was getting a little scared when I first posted that the puppymonster was going to come and get me :P

But anyhow, thanks for all the great comments and some ideas. Now all I have to do is get some time away from work in order to get out caching! B)

Stooper.

I have been leaving Eisenhower dollar coins (the large ones.) Just ask the teller when you go to the bank, they sometimes get them. Coin dealers will sell them for as little as $1.25.

Also ask for the $2 bills. I just got a stack of crisp, new, in serial number order 2s from a teller.

I have also placed as a first to find prize: a Walking Liberty 1-oz. silver dollar coin (recent vintage.) There is also one of these now in one of my caches that has not been found in a while....

Well, as it is for me, I don't really care. I think it's a moot point whether your like dollars, change, wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, or whatever. Stop your crying and just be glad to get outside once and a while.

Nobody`s crying here dewey,just posting their idea of what they think about SG`s,etc. If you don`t care, then why post?

I have gone through a couple of rolls of golden dollars since I started.

My usual branch occasionally has the rolls, I ask each time I go in. They have told me that they canl special order the dollar rolls and $2 bills if I want. Couple of months back the branch had the Eisenhower ones and they were glad to get rid of them.

I always ask when at the bank, one of the tellers now tells me straight out if she has anything when she sees me.

Edited by jcar
Well, as it is for me, I don't really care. I think it's a moot point whether your like dollars, change, wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, or whatever. Stop your crying and just be glad to get outside once and a while.

WTF are you talking about? I didn't see anyone crying here, at least until you came along.

Many geocaches are about history, so the gold colored dollar coins are fitting trade items.  Geocachers are almost always lovers of the land so it is only appropriate that a coin meant to honor the Native American thereon be placed in a cache.  Sacajamima, the Native American who first made the pilgrims a hearty stack of buttermilk pancakes with delicious maple syrup, is credited with saving the lives of 36 settlers.  The local Indians called them “Flat-cakes-cooked-on-a-screaming-hot-rock.”  Even though the pilgrims would later change the name to flapjacks, the breakfast delicacy has continued through the years with little change.  The slathering of the flat cakes with heaps of melting butter would not come until 1902 during the great butter glut, when pretty much anything that didn’t move was covered in butter.  Today, we have many choices of fine eating establishments all eager to serve us a towering stack of Sacajamima’s wonderful pancakes.  The most famous of these is, of course, the Interracial House of Pancakes, where friendly folks of all races and religions can come together in peace under the blue roof of love and eat in harmony. 

Yes, Sacajamima would be proud of how her flat-cakes-cooked-on-a-screaming-hot-rock have changed the world for good.

ROTFLMFAO :o:):)

Criminal I hope you are as funny in person as online because I'm going to want to buy you a beer or three when I finally get out there to tour and cache. :unsure:

I frequently leave gold weegies, SBA$'s and even Jeff $2's in caches when I trade.

They are often used to make a purchase in my restaurant. I do not want to leave them in the drawer as it only slows down my cashier, so I either end up putting them in the daily deposit or buying them for me. I don't expect that they will ever be worth more than face value.

Now the cuban nickel and the 1902 Indian Head penny are a different story. They're mine. :)