GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Nothing works. I reloaded 3.02 also. It seems like ever since I tried the loc load one time, I cannot load another file.

ALan

I have had no other reports of this nature.

This does not at all makes sense and must be something simple we are mising.

Have you tried just the "load a single" file option?

Nothing works. I reloaded 3.02 also.  It seems like ever since I tried the loc load one time, I cannot load another file. 

ALan

I would suggest removing the program using the add/remove programs app and then reinstalling.

Nothing works. I reloaded 3.02 also.  It seems like ever since I tried the loc load one time, I cannot load another file. 

ALan

I would suggest removing the program using the add/remove programs app and then reinstalling.

One other quick thing you could try first, is to rename your GSAK.ini file to GSAK.xxx

You will loose all your settings, but it could just be that one of those settings is causing the problem. (you can always rename back again)

GSAK.ini resides in the install folder of GSAK

First the bad news.

I have given the future of GSAK a fair bit of thought. I have now come to the conclusion that I can no longer sustain the current level of time, effort, and money drain, using the current totally free model. If development and support of GSAK is to continue (and I think people want this) there has to be changes.

I have decided to make GSAK shareware. Before you start with the howls of derision please read on.

Now the good news.

Although technically shareware, my proposed version will be a somewhat liberal interpretation. I guess you could say my version of shareware is more like fixed priced “donation ware”. I am just giving you the opportunity to thank me in a more tangible way – it is not compulsory.

Though I would prefer otherwise, the bottom line is that you can still use GSAK for free. For the full scoop on how I see this working please visit http://gsak.net/Register.htm

Edited by ClydeE

The main reason I have resisted having the smart name as part of the database is all the "gotchas". You have mentioned a couple, but believe me there are many more and it does open up a whole can of worms by including it fully in the database. For the moment I will just stick with the override approach and see how that settles in.

Having been an early adopter of, implementor of, and catalyst for smart names, I'll agree this is but the tip of the iceberg. Shortnames are hard to get perfect; the reality is that it's impossible to generate names that are both unique and obvious when mapping from arbitrary length strings to shorter strings; there are always compromises. GPSBabel has logic to retain trailing numbers - this works OK until someone puts the numbers in the MIDDLE of the cache name as happened to me on a series this wekend. Until we teach the code Roman Numerals (as in your example) those will be a problem. So there is a bit of a game of chase on all of these.

It makes matters worse when someone has two units with mismatched namespaces. A common cacher configuration is to use a V to get to the cache in the car and a Banana to get the cache from the car on foot. They have very different naming conventions. So which one do you use? Do you dumb the V down to the IQ of a Banana to keep them the same? Do you write both to the PDA file?

Then, to really strane your brane, start thinking about caching in an area where there are scores of caches with names like "Dalmatian #87 The Hither & Yon Litter" or "Indiana Spirit Quest #29: The Benchmark" and wanting unique names.

(I'm about to modify GPSBabel to hoist numeric sequences to the end of the shortname specifically for this purpose. But I got waylaid tonight implementing a new debug version for the originator of this line of thought and his newfangled firmware for his SP III)

First the bad news.

I have given the future of GSAK a fair bit of thought. I have now come to the conclusion that I can no longer sustain the current level of time, effort, and money drain, using the current totally free model. If development and support of GSAK is to continue (and I think people want this) there has to be changes.

I have decided to make GSAK shareware. Before you start with the howls of derision please read on.

Now the good news.

Although technically shareware, my proposed version will be a somewhat liberal interpretation. I guess you could say my version of shareware is more like fixed priced “donation ware”. I am just giving you the opportunity to thank me in a more tangible way – it is not compulsory.

Though I would prefer otherwise, the bottom line is that you can still use GSAK for free. For the full scoop on how I see this working please visit http://gsak.net/Register.htm

Sounds fair to me. I will be registering very soon <_<

First the bad news.

Now the good news.

Although technically shareware, my proposed version will be a somewhat liberal interpretation. I guess you could say my version of shareware is more like fixed priced “donation ware”.  I am just giving you the opportunity to thank me in a more tangible way – it is not compulsory.

Sounds fair to me. I will be registering very soon <_<

All done Clyde. Thanks for GSAK!!

Hi Clyde

I've just sent my payment as per above.

Note my PayPal email address does not reflect my GC.com user name, I take it that that won't cause any problems.

Thanks for an excellent program.

I feel it's worth every penny and just registered it via PayPal.

I don't recall there being a note/additional info field available though I could have missed it). Might be helpful if there was a way to enter, as a previous poster mentioned, our gc.com name some place for no other reason then you would more likely know who registered.

Keep up the excellent work!

David

I feel it's worth every penny and just registered it via PayPal.

I don't recall there being a note/additional info field available though I could have missed it). Might be helpful if there was a way to enter, as a previous poster mentioned, our gc.com name some place for no other reason then you would more likely know who registered.

Keep up the excellent work!

David

PayPal's payment info screen allows entering a subject and user notes which could be utilized for showing gc user name. I didn't think of it until too late with my registration.

Cheers, Olar

PayPal's payment info screen allows entering a subject and user notes which could be utilized for showing gc user name. I didn't think of it until too late with my registration.

I watched for that opportunity, but if it was there it slid by me...

OK, my money is on the way.

(I hope Clyde wakes up and enjoys the flood of money to his account. <_< )

I normally resist paying for shareware, but GSAK has become so central to my geocaching, and Clyde is clearly going so far beyond what anyone could reasonably expect for free.

I don't know if he needs any additional identification information, so I created a "gift address" in PayPal and put in my geocaching name and e-mail address there.

ALan

Oh geez, that's it. When I switched to single file, problem went away. Thanks.

Also, would you post your name and address for those who would prefer to mail a check for your great program. If that's a problem, I could email you and you could let me know "privately". One final comment, since you're using Babel "under the hood", how could Lippe get in on this?

My feeling all along is all you guys providing this software "add-ons" should have gone to Jeremy to propose these program to him to buy before doing it since they are increasing his paid membership. He benefits the most as they make PQ's more valuable and therefore a paying membership more important. If it wasn't for GSAK and GPXSONAR and gpstomaplet, I probably would not have become a paying member. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.

Tks

Alan

First the bad news.

Now the good news.

Although technically shareware, my proposed version will be a somewhat liberal interpretation. I guess you could say my version of shareware is more like fixed priced “donation ware”.  I am just giving you the opportunity to thank me in a more tangible way – it is not compulsory.

Done without a second thought. Between GSAK and CacheMate life could not be much simpler, well...maybe if the program could sense EXACTLY where those pesky micros are. <_<

Edited by baloo&bd
PayPal's payment info screen allows entering a subject and user notes which could be utilized for showing gc user name.

I looked for that too but didn't see it. Anyway it was a no brainer to support GSAK. It's a great program and the customer service couldn't be better. <_<

PayPal's payment info screen allows entering a subject and user notes which could be utilized for showing gc user name.

I looked for that too but didn't see it. Anyway it was a no brainer to support GSAK. It's a great program and the customer service couldn't be better. :unsure:

I did not use the link that Clyde provided but went directly to my account in PayPal.com which has an option to "send money". The resulting screen has the subject line and user comment box.

Olar

The main reason I have resisted having the smart name as part of the database is all the "gotchas". You have mentioned a couple, but believe me there are many more and it does open up a whole can of worms by including it fully in the database. For the moment I will just stick with the override approach and see how that settles in.

Having been an early adopter of, implementor of, and catalyst for smart names, I'll agree this is but the tip of the iceberg. Shortnames are hard to get perfect; the reality is that it's impossible to generate names that are both unique and obvious when mapping from arbitrary length strings to shorter strings; there are always compromises. GPSBabel has logic to retain trailing numbers - this works OK until someone puts the numbers in the MIDDLE of the cache name as happened to me on a series this wekend. Until we teach the code Roman Numerals (as in your example) those will be a problem. So there is a bit of a game of chase on all of these.

It makes matters worse when someone has two units with mismatched namespaces. A common cacher configuration is to use a V to get to the cache in the car and a Banana to get the cache from the car on foot. They have very different naming conventions. So which one do you use? Do you dumb the V down to the IQ of a Banana to keep them the same? Do you write both to the PDA file?

Then, to really strane your brane, start thinking about caching in an area where there are scores of caches with names like "Dalmatian #87 The Hither & Yon Litter" or "Indiana Spirit Quest #29: The Benchmark" and wanting unique names.

(I'm about to modify GPSBabel to hoist numeric sequences to the end of the shortname specifically for this purpose. But I got waylaid tonight implementing a new debug version for the originator of this line of thought and his newfangled firmware for his SP III)

Sorry you got waylaid by the SPIII problem - I really did notice the wee-hours-of the-morning timestamp on the beta you sent me!

I really wasn't suggesting trying to get smart naming to automagically resolve all the conflicts and naming conventions. The existing smart naming rules work quite well as far as I'm concerned - I'd just like to see them applied earlier. What I was hoping for was a way for the USER to fix the more awkward smart names by keeping them in the database and exposing them as part of the display.

I'm sure you've run into some gotcha's in the current approach too - for example, we ran into a problem where several names resolve to the same string and the "add a number" rule cuts in. Since the naming is a function of the subset of waypoints being downloaded to the GPS, and in my GPS at least, any duplicates are overwritten, it's easy to overwrite waypoints unintentionally. For example, if I download some group of points, then download another in a separate download and some cache names in each group resolve to the same string, waypoints in the first group could be overwritten (or in my inexperienced case, have been overwritten).

Another difficulty with the smart names is correlating them with the entries in Cachemate. Cachemate keeps the GC code and the long cache name while my GPS (using smart naming) keeps the short smart name only. The only way to figure out which similarly named cache is which is by comparing the coordinates, something neither the GPS nor Cachemate facilitates.

What I was hoping for was to offer the user a preset option for the smart naming (number of characters, pattern etc) which would be imposed when a new cache was downloaded. Old smart names would be preserved. Conflicts would be resolved on an entire database basis, not a subset basis. A user command would be available to recalculate the smart names when the smart name template changed, but only for the user-selected subset of the database currently displayed.

I don't know if Cachemate would support non-GC codes for caches, but if it could, then both the long name and the code would be available to the user.

I'm probably missing something major (I've only got Garmin GPS's and a Palm to work with), but it seems to me that the only folks that would be irritated by this approach would be those who change the string length routinely to go between gps's with greater and lesser name capacity. And I think the advantages of having a consistent name between the user's various gadgets would far outweigh the disadvantage of each user having to choose a lowest common denominator between the capabilities of the equipment they use.

Anyway, don't take this as a complaint, it's just a suggestion for a feature that would make my life easier from me, who doesn't have to do the work, to the guy whose life might get harder if it was implemented.

I'm very happy with GSAK as it is and will be sending in my $15 as soon as possible.

Jon

I'm sure you've run into some gotcha's in the current approach too - for example, we ran into a problem where several names resolve to the same string and the "add a number" rule cuts in.  Since the naming is a function of the subset of waypoints being downloaded to the GPS, and in my GPS  at least, any duplicates are overwritten, it's easy to overwrite waypoints unintentionally.  For example, if

If the conflict resolution is done at the last stage of hte pipeline instead of upstream, this really shouldn't be a problem. I've moved thousands of waypoints this way and it really does work.

download some group of points, then download another in a separate download and some cache names in each group resolve to the same string, waypoints in the first group could be overwritten (or in my inexperienced case, have been overwritten).

this is exactly why you have to expose the _entire set_ in one batch; otherwise conflict resolution is impossible.

I'm very happy with GSAK as it is and will be sending in my $15 as soon as possible.

I hope we reach closure on your SP-III issue that new firmware introduced soon. Then you'll be able to slip the custom version I sent you behind GSAK. The other user that tried it reported success.

This version of GSAK ships with GPSBabe 1.2.3

:unsure:

Freudian slip perhaps, but it was not intentional :o

You lot out there must be a kinky bunch (and I don't mean that in a bad way), for you are just one of many that brought this to my attention :)

Edited by ClydeE

Well, I got a problem now.  GSAK has developed a sudden aversion to speaking with the StreetPilot III now that I upgraded.  The error message I get when trying to download directly is

"Error sending waypoints:

GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE

GARMIN: Can't Init COM5".

The exact same setup with no configuration changes works fine with a Garmin eTrex Summit or Vista, but not with the SPIII. And it's the same setup that worked fine with the StreetPilot at revision 2.50.

This is where I fake shock that Garmin changed the serial protocol in a minor firmware upgrade, right? Is there anything in the version notes that offers any hints?

Treat this as a GPSBabel issue, not a GSAK one. To the GPSBabel-misc mailing list, send the full output of

As public closure on this, Jon & Miki followed the steps I asked. I studied the data streams and saw that Garmin did indeed introduce yet another undocumented packet (there's that fake shock again) that came back at an unfortunate time for us. I sent a modified GPSBabel to both Jon & Miki and Team Troglodyte and they both reported success.

I have the impression that the not a lot of StreetPilot users use GPSBabel, so I won't respin a new version just for this, but if you have an SP-III with firmware 2.70 and see this problem, bang my gong for a new version.

I may have answered this for myself but, I brought my copy of City Select (4.01) to work so I could work on things here as well. I have not done any upgrade to it.

When I make an MPS file and try to bring it in to City Select, I get a message that says the MPS was made with the wrong version. Do I need to do the upgrade (City Select) to get this to work?

I may have answered this for myself but, I brought my copy of City Select (4.01) to work so I could work on things here as well. I have not done any upgrade to it.

When I make an MPS file and try to bring it in to City Select, I get a message that says the MPS was made with the wrong version. Do I need to do the upgrade (City Select) to get this to work?

In GSAK, when you go to Export as a Mapsource file, what do you have selected as the version of MapSource, just above the Cancel button? Does it match your version of MapSource?

Hello,

I'm a recent convert to GSAK and think the program is great. However, I'm having a little bit of a problem with one issue.

I've loaded all of my GPX files from the past 10 months or so and needless to say I have quite a selection of old logs. I really like the older logs and it solves the problem of helpful logs falling off the 5 log limit.

Here's my problem. I use a m105 for carrying cache data with me. When I export the HTML with all of the logs, the pages take forever to load. Unlike Spinner, I haven't figured out a way to unload the logs onto a seperate page to get the primary cache page to render faster. Is this possible? Am I missing something? Or is this not possible at this time?

I don't really care that much about the extra pages as I'm using Isilo and it's much faster collection times to go to the Palm. Plucker is SO slow.

I either have to figure this out or be forced to go back to Spinner for creating those pages (I'm under orders!), but I don't want to lose the extra logs.

Any help would be much appreciated!

In GSAK, when you go to Export as a Mapsource file, what do you have selected as the version of MapSource, just above the Cancel button? Does it match your version of MapSource?

Came back to answer my own question and saw your post. No, I did not have the version set correctly and yes, I figured that out AFTER I DL's the upgrade. :rolleyes:

Guess I should have RTFM or paid closer attention.

Thansk for the quick reply.

Hello,

I'm a recent convert to GSAK and think the program is great. However, I'm having a little bit of a problem with one issue.

I've loaded all of my GPX files from the past 10 months or so and needless to say I have quite a selection of old logs. I really like the older logs and it solves the problem of helpful logs falling off the 5 log limit.

Here's my problem. I use a m105 for carrying cache data with me. When I export the HTML with all of the logs, the pages take forever to load. Unlike Spinner, I haven't figured out a way to unload the logs onto a seperate page to get the primary cache page to render faster. Is this possible? Am I missing something? Or is this not possible at this time?

I don't really care that much about the extra pages as I'm using Isilo and it's much faster collection times to go to the Palm. Plucker is SO slow.

I either have to figure this out or be forced to go back to Spinner for creating those pages (I'm under orders!), but I don't want to lose the extra logs.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Sorry, you can't do this per se. About the best work around I can offer is:

Generate 2 sets of HTML, 1 with all your logs and another with only a few logs (or perhpas just 1 to quickly render the page)

When you generate any HTML via GSAK you can control the number of logs that are displayed via Tools=>Option=>HTML

Just set this to 1 Before doing the "quick render" generation, then set to unlimited for the full version with all the logs.

Just a short note to thank all those that registered GSAK. The response has been excellent and comments have been positive.

This has given me renewed enthusiasm and will ensure GSAK will continue to be developed and supported.

Again, thanks very much to a great bunch of people out there!

GSAK automation

One the features that will be added to GSAK is a macro language for automation. After requests from a few users I have made a start (all be it very basic) and this code in now in the latest development version of GSAK 3.04

This version allows you to automate something like:

1. Load a GPX file

2. Set a filter

3. Export to HTML

4. Exit GSAK

Thus allowing you to include this in a batch file without having to touch the GSAK GUI

If you are interested in GSAK automation and would like to take the latest development version for a test drive drop me a line and I will send you the URL

Please note: this feature is very much in the infancy stage and does have limitations. I do plan to implement a fairly extensive macro language for GSAK but the idea of this release is to just get a working version that will do some of the basics.

I just want GSAk to be able to do what I used to do with the early geo2Ozi program - Which is convert a GPX file to Ozi waypoint format so I can make maps of my hidden, found, and unfound caches...

I don't want it to distinguish archived or temproarily disabled caches. I just want it to show hidden or found or unfound. The only close option is "transparent, but that doesn't quite cut it. It seems more needy of an "ignore" option.

And, there might be a time when I want to make a map of active, disabled, and archived caches without distinguishing if I have found them or not (Maybe for an event to show people where caches are).

It seems these should be in different categories anyway, since you can have a found or unfound that is either Active or archived.

It would also be nice if it were possible to match method for matching placed (hidden) caches by using the data within a found log in the GPX, if at all possible. If nothing else, it'd be nice to change the hider data att he conversion screen (If I make a map for someone else, I have to go in to options and change it over before converting to ozi wpt.

Am I just not doing something right, is any of this possible now? Has the original intent of Geo2Ozi gone to the wayside to benefit all the new GSAK features?

I just want GSAk to be able to do what I used to do with the early geo2Ozi program - Which is convert a GPX file to Ozi waypoint format so I can make maps of my hidden, found, and unfound caches...

I don't want it to distinguish archived or temproarily disabled caches. I just want it to show hidden or found or unfound. The only close option is "transparent, but that doesn't quite cut it. It seems more needy of an "ignore" option.

This is first request I have had for this behaviour. The only way you could currently do this is to have another database with all the archived/disabled toggled off (you can do this manually via the right click menu), and then lock these records (via edit) so future GPX load will not convert them back to archived. You would then be able to export to Ozi as you describe.

It would also be nice if it were possible to match method for matching placed (hidden) caches by using the data within a found log in the GPX, if at all possible. If nothing else, it'd be nice to change the hider data att he conversion screen (If I make a map for someone else, I have to go in to options and change it over before converting to ozi wpt.

I'm sorry, I have read this paragraph about 10 times and am still none the wiser. I just don't know what you are asking for here.

I'm sorry, I have read this paragraph about 10 times and am still none the wiser. I just don't know what you are asking for here.

Well, if the first part of my question isn't possible, this doesn't matter - But basically, I was just pointing out that when you convert a file to Ozi waypoint for someone else, you have to go in to options in order to change owner/hider (So their hides get shown correctly).

Thanks anyway, I guess I'll have to find another way to make my maps, or do what you said, or run the maps through my printer 3 times. :back:

I was planning a geocaching trip recently. I would also have liked to be able to export the filtered set of caches and the data from only the columns I was using

to a CSV format for use in other tools. I couldn't find the function. I eventually

had to dump the gpx and spend lots of time fooling with it to get what I needed. Did I miss something? Is there such an export capability?

The software is great - my registration fee will be on its way shortly.

Geo-Jedi

I was planning a geocaching trip recently. I would also have liked to be able to export the filtered set of caches and the data from only the columns I was using

to a CSV format for use in other tools. I couldn't find the function. I eventually

had to dump the gpx and spend lots of time fooling with it to get what I needed. Did I miss something? Is there such an export capability?

The software is great - my registration fee will be on its way shortly.

Geo-Jedi

I don't have GSAK at work (priorities are all wrong) so I can't check if I'm correct but I do believe the export to Streets & Trips is a .csv file that will open in Excel.

Olar

I'm in front of my GSAK console, so I can confirm Olar's memory. The Street Atlas txt export would also load into a spreadsheet, although it looks like the S&T csv format has a little more information.

GPSBabel also supports a csv format that might give you more data fields, but I'll defer that experiment to the curious and/or the knowledgeable.

GPSBabel also supports a csv format that might give you more data fields, but I'll defer that experiment to the curious and/or the knowledgeable.

geo-jedi and baloo&bd, even if GSAK can't go straight to csv (which I'd find suprising) just export the GPX and let GPSBabel do it...

GPSBabel has about a bazillion xSV formats that can be sucked into a spreadsheet. (Though most spreadsheets read XML natively these days...) The one called "csv" is surely simplest. s_and_t is pretty nice to manipulate. "tabsep" dumps just about everything that GPSBabel actually parses from the GPX files. (Want to sort by difficulty + terrain with a subsort on cache type?)

And if you don't like any of those formats, you can define your own the style sheet mechanism.

I'm in front of my GSAK console, so I can confirm Olar's memory. The Street Atlas txt export would also load into a spreadsheet, although it looks like the S&T csv format has a little more information.

OK. I tried both of these formats and it only get's me part of the way there. One of the fields I really need to export with the file is the distance and direction from the Center point (for obvious reasons.

ClydeE, chime in here. Am I missing the process to export to a true csv or Excel of all the fields or can we request it for a future date? Can we? :lol: Huh? :lol: Huh? :lol:B)

Hi again Clyde,

I was/am and early adopter and GREATLY appreciate GSAK. I haven't been here in the forums regarding GSAK in quite awhile as you promptly took care of my problems with Win 98 and Win ME a long time ago.

I also may have been one of the first to suggest you set up a PayPal acct. to accept contributions. That was mant months ago.

Gladly registered and paid the reg. fee moments ago.

Thanks again for the GREAT program.

maleki

Marty