GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

OK Clyde your skill and forethought beat me last time now try this one.

I wonder if it is possible to attach/associate a Cache or LAT/LON to a filter to act as centrepoint for that filter. I have set up a filter to pull up all of the caches in a park area with a 180 KM diameter. I set a filter to give me all the caches within a 90KM diameter around a central located cache. But for the filter to work I have to set that cache as the centre point prior to running the filter. It would be nice to have that filter automatically set it's own centre point.

So is this already possible and once again you have beat me to the punch or is it feasible for a future version.

Hmmm, that is exactly how filters are supposed to work when you save them.

Just save your filter, and when you restore it, GSAK should also restore that centre point at the same time. There should be no need to reset the center point to make it right.

Any filter that has distance and/or bearing GSAK saves the current center point when you save that filter. So when you restore that filter, the centre point should also be restored, so your distances/bearings are relative to the same point as when you created the filter in the first place. (hope this makes sense)

Hey Clyde what do you need me to send you so that Canada can be included in the 'postal code centre point' pull down menu?

Basically I just need a file of all the post codes, corresponding location, and Lat/Lon. The Lat/Lon usually being the centre point of the post code or perhpas the GPO.

That is all the USA and Australia ones are. The location name can just be the major town associated with that post code. A CSV file with the format "post code","location","lat","lon" would be great.

I would have put this in for Canada myself, but so far I have not been able to track down a database that has this information.

I would have put this in for Canada myself, but so far I have not been able to track down a database that has this information.

Perhaps you could ask Jeremy and crew for a source as geocaching.com allows searching by Canadian postal codes.

Try opening up a command prompt, and running the babel.bat file from the command line and see what messages (if any you get). That is, if you installed GSAK to the default folder of "c:\program files\GSAK" then:

1. Start a command prompt

2. CD "c:\program files\gsak" then press ENTER

3. "babel.bat" then press ENTER

Now see if the tranfer to your GPS works and what if any messages are shown on your screen.

I would also like to confirm what version of GPSBabel you are using with GSAK. From the Main menu of GSAK click on Tools=>About and read off the version number for GPSBabel

I assume when you say I need to start a command prompt, you mean in DOS, right? I'm tellin' ya, if you don't spell it out very specific, I almost freeze before attempting anything...lol

GPSBabel version: 1.2.3_beta04092004

I assume when you say I need to start a command prompt, you mean in DOS, right? I'm tellin' ya, if you don't spell it out very specific, I almost freeze before attempting anything...lol

GPSBabel version: 1.2.3_beta04092004

Yes. GPSBabel version: 1.2.3_beta04092004 also implies you are running GSAK 3.01 - you could also try downloading the latest version. Not this should fix your problem, but It will help track things down if you are working with the latest version.

I am using the latest version of GSAK with a Garmin Vista. It is attached to my computer using a serial to USB connector. When I try to send waypoints from GSAK to GPS or the other direction I get an error message that reads: "Error sending waypoints: GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE Garmin: Can't init COM 4." However, with everything set up exactly the same, I have no problem sending waypoints back and forth with EasyGPS. Any thoughts?

Secondly, in the "Send waypoints to GPS" dialogue box, I can set the range of waypoints that I want to send (ie. from 1 to 30 or from 15 to 17 etc). I don't see the waypoints numbered on the main screen. Where do I get these numbers from?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Chris.

I am using the latest version of GSAK with a Garmin Vista. It is attached to my computer using a serial to USB connector. When I try to send waypoints from GSAK to GPS or the other direction I get an error message that reads: "Error sending waypoints: GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE Garmin: Can't init COM 4." However, with everything set up exactly the same, I have no problem sending waypoints back and forth with EasyGPS. Any thoughts?

Please see my previous post here

Secondly, in the "Send waypoints to GPS" dialogue box, I can set the range of waypoints that I want to send (ie. from 1 to 30 or from 15 to 17 etc).  I don't see the waypoints numbered on the main screen. Where do I get these numbers from?
Other than counting, you can't. I must admit, when I added this feature it was just for limiting the waypoints to the first nnn sent to the GPS Edited by ClydeE

Thanks for the quick reply, Clyde. I had read through that post prior to posting my own concern. I thought it may be a different situation since Pandybat made no mention of an error message, and his problem was solved by changing the COM port setting. However, the fact that my GPS will transfer to EasyGPS but not GSAK also made me suspect a Babel/converter compatablity issue. I will try a different converter to see if that solves the problem.

Chris.

DeLorme Topo USA 5.0 Tips

GSAK does not directly support this format (I may have to look at adding though), but the "Street Atlas" export will work with this software. There are also a couple of tips to making the data more useable with Topo 5.0 USA.

Tip 1 - When you do the export, check the "BEGIN NOTE" box. What does this do? from the help file:

DeLorme's Street Atlas 2004 and TopoUSA (even the new version 5.0) do NOT support icon types even when they are specified in an exported .txt file.

If you check this box GSAK will start the exported file with  "BEGIN NOTE" and terminate it with "END". Doing that causes the import process to bring the waypoints in as "notes" (the text appears in a cartoon-like box with a leader pointing to the coordinate). The advantage is that while all of these look the same you can move the box around the point without actually moving the point and you can put whatever text in the box that you like.

Tip 2 - With use of tags in the description you can get Topo USA 5.0 to hot link to a URL (online or offline). A quote from one happy user:

I think I'm in geocaching heaven.  I just discovered that with the following export setting I can create a file for import into DeLorme Topo USA 5 that the text in the notes has an associated URL so if I click on a note it opens the offline HTML page corresponding to that waypoint.

The export string I used looks like this:  %found= *%smart (%typ1/%Dif/%Ter),{URL=C:/Cache/%code.htm}

I have been looking a LONG time for exactly this kind of capability.  Thanks Clyde.

Since I upgraded to Version 3.01, when I upload caches to my Garmin Map76S, everything works fine, except that instead of a cache description I get just this:

"

Yes, that's a a double quatation mark. Is there any setting I need to change before uploading? I'm not aware of having made any change since upgrading to 3.01.

I ran across something this morning while trying to filter to an arc. I created a list of points using SARoute.exe to parse a Topo5 route file (.anr). GSAK didn't like my file and gave me an 'Invalid longitude degrees' error. As near as I can tell, the problem is that each pair of coordinates is separated with a tab and not a comma. Is there any chance the tab separated data could also be made acceptable for input? Here is a sample of the data.

# Extracted from Delorme route version 8

# SR 152 (W Kansas Ave)

39.244537354 -94.451351166

39.244709015 -94.453325272

39.244709015 -94.454698563

39.244709015 -94.455041885

39.244709015 -94.455814362

39.244709015 -94.455900192

39.244709015 -94.456071854

39.244709015 -94.456501007

39.244709015 -94.456844330

39.244709015 -94.457187653

39.244709015 -94.457445145

39.244709015 -94.458045959

39.244709015 -94.460020065

39.244623184 -94.461050034

39.244623184 -94.464740753

39.244279861 -94.468002319

39.244194031 -94.485683441

39.244365692 -94.486713409

Thanks again for your great program.

Brian

I ran across something this morning while trying to filter to an arc. I created a list of points using SARoute.exe to parse a Topo5 route file (.anr). GSAK didn't like my file and gave me an 'Invalid longitude degrees' error. As near as I can tell, the problem is that each pair of coordinates is separated with a tab and not a comma. Is there any chance the tab separated data could also be made acceptable for input? Here is a sample of the data.

No problems, this shouldn't be hard to do.

Suggested work arounds until the next version:

1. Search and replace in a text editor (search for tab and replace with comma - remember the decimal and hex value for tab is 09.

2. Check to see if the export allows for comma separated as well ast tab separated

I suspect that maybe I am mistaken, but I was of the opinion that when corrected coordinates were available, they would be output to GPS or exported to other formats. It appears that I am wrong again. Is there a way that these corrected coordinates can be used when exporting to other formats or uploading to the gps receiver?

Thanks

Brian

I suspect that maybe I am mistaken, but I was of the opinion that when corrected coordinates were available, they would be output to GPS or exported to other formats. It appears that I am wrong again. Is there a way that these corrected coordinates can be used when exporting to other formats or uploading to the gps receiver?

Thanks

Brian

Corrected coordinates are actually updated in the database (replacing the old ones) and should be sent to your GPS and all exports. When you enter corrected coordinate, GSAK actually updates the database with the new coordinates and saves the old ones in a separate area (so you can view or in case you want to restore them)

I have had no reports of problems with corrected coordinates, but your post seems at odds with this behaviour, so I would need more information if you feel the above is not happening.

Note: Corrected coordinates are not global. Each database has its own set of corrected coordinates. So adding a corrected coordinate in one database will not automatically change another database with the same waypoint.

Edited by ClydeE

Clyde

I found the error of my ways. I had created a corrected coordinates file at work. I then brought the file home and added it to what I had in a database here at home using a text editor and pasting the data in. Although when I followed the corrected coordinates link it showed corrected coordinates, they were not updated until I selected the save button. Sorry for the false alarm. Have you considered an import function whereby one could import corrected coordinates from another file? Possibly just a text file as is done in GPXspinner of GPX2HTML.

Thanks for all of your hard work

Brian

Hi Clyde,

I've been using GSAK successfully up to and including 3.0 final. Today, I loaded 3.02 and it wouldn't start. It wanted to send the following:

Application...

Start Date : 05/01/2004 16:46:13

Name/Description: gsak.exe

Version Number : 3.0.2.20

Exception...

Date : 05/01/2004 16:46:13

Address: 00405448

Module : gsak.exe

Type : EVariantError

Active Controls...

Form Class : TfmHistory

Form Text : GSAK Version 3.02

Control Class: TfmHistory

Control Text : GSAK Version 3.02

Computer...

Name : MIRAGE

Total Memory: 1024 Mb

Free Memory : 577 Mb

Total Disk : 14.94 Gb

Free Disk : 2.91 Gb

Operating System...

Type : Microsoft Windows XP

Build # : 2600

Language: English (United States)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

|Address |Module |Unit |Class |Procedure/Method|Line|

|006A99FD|gsak.exe |fOffline.pas|TfmOffline |OpenCaches |2656|

|006A96BC|gsak.exe |fOffline.pas|TfmOffline |OpenCaches |2612|

|006B1117|gsak.exe |fOffline.pas|TfmOffline |OpenAll |4244|

|77D5C906|user32.dll | | |EnumWindows | |

|006B1014|gsak.exe |fOffline.pas|TfmOffline |OpenAll |4229|

|0069D80B|gsak.exe |fOffline.pas|TfmOffline |FormCreate |893 |

|004C323A|gsak.exe |OvcState.pas|TOvcAbstractState|FormCreate |384 |

|77E75327|kernel32.dll| | |lstrcatW | |

|77E7B3E5|kernel32.dll| | |GetModuleHandleW| |

|77F54B3B|ntdll.dll | | |bsearch | |

|006BE5F3|gsak.exe |gsak.dpr | |GSAK |57 |

What do I need to do?

Geo-Jedi

There was no "filter.cds" file where the program was installed on the C drive! A search showed that there WAS such a file on the D drive where I installed it before. Deleting the new install and putting 3.02 on the D drive where it had been working before solved this problem.

Indeed it was user error. Thanks for the hint to get it fixed. I am up and running once more.

Thanks again,

Team Geo-Jedi

GSAK 3.03 is now ready to download.

Sorry for a release with so few features, however the main reason for this update is to fix a very nasty bug that can wipe out all the coordinates in your database when "Repair database" is performed. This major bug only affects you if your international decimal separator is a comma (many European countries).

I understand your reluctance not to update if this does not effect you, however I still encourage everyone to the latest release as it does lessen my support burden.

Release summary:

Fixed "repair database" bug that would clear out lat/lon if you international date separator symbol was a comma

Fixed bug where custom URL menu options were not populated on first run of GSAK

Fixed bug where current sort sequence was not saved after first run of GSAK

Fixed bug where distance and bearing would be incorrectly calculated after editing a waypoint.

Show hints on same page option now sticky

Arc Filter coordinates can now be loaded from a file (supports text, GPX, and LOC formats)

Arc Filter coordinates can now be separated by a tab symbol

Arc Filter "add user flagged waypoints" now adds the actual waypoint lat/lon*

Added alphabet link summary to "Placed by" index when creating offline html (same as name index)

Replaced hints Java code "back" button with web link so will work with plucker and Isolo

Added "user data" to HTML output

Added GCUK to default custom URLS (you will only see this on a new install)

Database Repair now also makes sure your corrected coordinates file is synchronized with your database

Changed babel.txt work file to use tab as the delimiter to fix problem of Garmin symbol names that contain a comma

* this option allows you to delete waypoints that were used to create your arc filter without invalidating your arc filter

This version also ships with the latest 1.2.3 release of GPSBabel

Download here

Cheers

Clyde

Edited by ClydeE

Got the 3.03 email and updated. I noticed, though on my broadband connection I don't care, that the download is 4.8MB. For minor releases, would it be better for you (bandwidth with your ISP) and for those with lesser speed lines, to get the update as an update package vs a full install?

In checked the directory and the HLP file, mine shows as 21MB which is odd, and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the size of the install or not, but if it's not updated, it wouldn't have to be included in the update download.

Just a thought and appreciate the tremendous job you are doing. Still no PayPal Donate button anywhere?

Edited by Team DEMP
Got the 3.03 email and updated. I noticed, though on my broadband connection I don't care, that the download is 4.8MB. For minor releases, would it be better for you (bandwidth with your ISP) and for those with lesser speed lines, to get the update as an update package vs a full install?

The two biggest items in the GSAK install are the main GSAK.exe and the help file. When compressed they both take up about 2mb each in the install file. Even though only a minor release, both these files did change so I figured it less confusing to just have one update - especially for new users. The Post code file takes up about 1mb compressed (and I must confess has not changed) so I could make this a separate download.

If only the GSAK.exe file had changed then I might have done this as there would be considerable savings in the download. However, I did do this once before and the downside was extra user support. Believe it or not even though I had explicit instructions saying that you MUST have done a complete install of a previous version of GSAK for the update to work - I still had new users who would download just the update then send my a whole lot of questions/error reports because it wouldn't work.

As far as bandwidth goes, as long as I don't exceed my 20GB limit the cost is the same. (so far I am within this limit, but I may have to rethink if I get too close)

For the last month I have averaged over 3 hrs per day just in user support alone (via email) - I certainly don't want to add to this or I will never get any programming done. <_<

However, I did  offer a patch vs. a full update once before and the downside was extra user support.

I'm with you, Clyde. The number of people without broadband is dwarfed by the number of people that won't read instructions. (Sorry, gang.)

As far as bandwidth goes, as long as I don't exceed my 20GB limit the cost is the same. (so far I am within this limit, but I may have to rethink if I get too close)

If you get close, bang my gong. I can kick in another several gig a month to mirror it.

For the last month I have averaged over 3 hrs per day just in user support alone (via email) - I certainly don't want to add to this or I will never get any programming done.  <_<

As the primary author of a progam that's not dissimilar, I feel your pain.

I just need to get out there and cache more and fret less about Garmin protocol silliness and cache pages written in Elbonian when they're uploaded to FrasmalatorMap with partially encrypted hints. :ph34r:

The version history says that GSAK ships with GPSBabe 1.2.3.

That sounds to good to be true  ;)

Hmmm, a Freudian slip me thinks :o

Fussing? moi??? :ph34r:

I am a very happy user of GSAK and GPSBabel, even without a babe under the hood!

But now a serious report of a little bug. I loaded a PQ of the London area, and sorted by longitude. Instead of getting caches sorted from West to East (or vice versa), I get them sorted by distance from the prime meridian, regardless of whether they're to the East or to the West. GSAK appears to be using absolute numbers here.

Edited by Shunra
But if it really is a GPSBabe that comes with it, I really need to look into that technology. There is technology, and then there is TECHNOLOGY!!. [:ph34r:]

Not to mention, this Babe is freeware! :o

(Thanks, Robert and Clyde!)

I am using the most recent version of GSAK but seem to be having a problem getting updated logs.

I have PQs set up but when I run them into GSAK it does not seem to pick up new find logs.

Just as an example I have a bunch of caches that GSAK indicates Details are from the offline database last updated on 4/22/04. Yet When I go to GC.COM they have been found and logged after that date (and before the date my PQ ran). On several caches this is keeping us from finding out that they have been disabled.

Any suggestions?

I am using the most recent version of GSAK but seem to be having a problem getting updated logs.

I have PQs set up but when I run them into GSAK it does not seem to pick up new find logs. 

Just as an example I have a bunch of caches that GSAK indicates Details are from the offline database last updated on 4/22/04.  Yet When I go to GC.COM they have been found and logged after that date (and before the date my PQ ran).  On several caches this is keeping us from finding out that they have been disabled.

Any suggestions?

Using your favourite text editor, open up the GPX file you got from GC.com and search (use the GCXXXX code) to see if one of the caches you are having a problem with is there. I suspect not.

You say that some of these caches have been "disabled" - are you sure they have not been archived? Archived caches are not included in GPX files and would account for the reason why you don't get them in the GPX file and hence logs etc are not updated in GSAK

This to me is a short coming of the GPX files provided by gc.com - there should be an option that allows you to select archived caches or not. Unfortunately, at this point in time there is no way to get archived caches in a PQ (you can get the information from a single GPX download, but you have to go to the cache page and this is not automatic)

Edit - added last paragraph

Edited by ClydeE
But now a serious report of a little bug. I loaded a PQ of the London area, and sorted by longitude. Instead of getting caches sorted from West to East (or vice versa), I get them sorted by distance from the prime meridian, regardless of whether they're to the East or to the West. GSAK appears to be using absolute numbers here.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that. I will fix in the next release.

Your explanation accounts for the archived ones but not for the couple dozen or so (some of which were disabled) that did not update. Guess it is just something with the PQ??? I did check in a text editor and they do not appear in the PQ but strangely enough if I run the preview they show up. Maybe a GC.COM PQ computer glitch. Guess I will rerun that PQ and see if it comes across next time.

Your explanation accounts for the archived ones but not for the couple dozen or so (some of which were disabled) that did not update. Guess it is just something with the PQ??? I did check in a text editor and they do not appear in the PQ but strangely enough if I run the preview they show up. Maybe a GC.COM PQ computer glitch. Guess I will rerun that PQ and see if it comes across next time.

If you can't find them in the PQ then there is no way GSAK can update the database. This is definately a gc.com issue.

I am using GSAK 3.03 with a Garmin GPSMAP76S via a USB/Serial cable on Windows XP.

When I try to download waypoints to the GPS, I get the following error.

Error sending waypoints: GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE GARMIN:Can't init COM3.

I am able to send waypoints to the GPS via Mapsource on COM3 with no problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bobby

I am using GSAK 3.03 with a Garmin GPSMAP76S via a USB/Serial cable on Windows XP.

When I try to download waypoints to the GPS, I get the following error.

Error sending waypoints: GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE GARMIN:Can't init COM3.

I am able to send waypoints to the GPS via Mapsource on COM3 with no problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bobby

GSAK uses GPSBabel "Under the hood" to send waypoints to your GPS

Unfortunately I have had some reports of these USB/Serial adapters not being compatible with GPSBabel. Many work just fine, but a few do not. You could try posting this question on the GPSBabel mailing list here

Edited by ClydeE

I haven't seen this asked (if I missed it, forgive me), but when exporting to Cachemate, is there a way to export "smart" waypoint names instead of the default ones?

Once in awhile, I have trouble coordinating the smart waypoint name on my GPS to the name in cachemate. For example, the waypoint LITTLE in my GPS could be "A Little Fishy" or "The Little Fishy" in Cachemate. If I could sort by Waypoint name in cachemate and just look up "LITTLE" there, it would be great.

Maybe this isn't possible because of how your export function is built off of Cmconvert (forgive me for not knowing the inner workings of all these programs)

Edited by ThePropers

Unfortunately I have had some reports of these USB/Serial adapters not being compatible with GPSBabel. Many work just fine, but a few do not.

I can't say I've heard that, but I certainly won't refute it.

If anyone has a (non-broken) USB/serial adapter that doesn't work right with GPSBabel that does work right with other programs and you can send it to me for analysis, contact me privately.

Unfortunately I have had some reports of these USB/Serial adapters not being compatible with GPSBabel. Many work just fine, but a few do not.

I can't say I've heard that, but I certainly won't refute it.

If anyone has a (non-broken) USB/serial adapter that doesn't work right with GPSBabel that does work right with other programs and you can send it to me for analysis, contact me privately.

I had this exact problem last week. The serial to USB connector that I had would work with EasyGPS, but not GSAK/Babel. I got the same error message mentioned above. I bought a different brand of connector, and it works fine with everything I have tried including GSAK/Babel, EasyGPS and others. Fortunately I was able to return the original connector to GPS Central for a refund.

I haven't seen this asked (if I missed it, forgive me), but when exporting to Cachemate, is there a way to export "smart" waypoint names instead of the default ones?

Once in awhile, I have trouble coordinating the smart waypoint name on my GPS to the name in cachemate. For example, the waypoint LITTLE in my GPS could be "A Little Fishy" or "The Little Fishy" in Cachemate. If I could sort by Waypoint name in cachemate and just look up "LITTLE" there, it would be great.

Maybe this isn't possible because of how your export function is built off of Cmconvert (forgive me for not knowing the inner workings of all these programs)

Good question - unfortunately the short answer is no. I will have a look at adding this option for the next release.

However, as usual there is usually a work around. Some are more cumbersome than others, so I will leave it up to you to decide if it is too much work.

1. Create a filter of the required waypoints you want to send to cachemate

2. Export this filter to a GPX file, making sure to use %smart in the waypoint name (or description if that is what you are using in cachmate to search on)

3. Create a new database (Database=>New, call it something like "temp")

4. Load the GPX file created in step 2 into this database

5. Now export this database to CacheMate

It is often a good idea to have a "temp" type database anyway that you can perform these types of gymnastics on. Rather than having to clear this database manually all the time you can just select the "Clear database before loading" option when you load a GPX file.

Hey Clyde what do you need me to send you so that Canada can be included in the 'postal code centre point' pull down menu?

Basically I just need a file of all the post codes, corresponding location, and Lat/Lon. The Lat/Lon usually being the centre point of the post code or perhpas the GPO.

Cor - when i saw this I got all excited and then had to remember just where I had seen a uk version of this on the net in the past couple of weeks! Anyway, a quick hunt on google brings me to http://www.jibble.org/ukpostcodes/ which has a file to download for the uk postcodes.... Clyde, can this be incorporated please pretty please?

Cor - when i saw this I got all excited and then had to remember just where I had seen a uk version of this on the net in the past couple of weeks! Anyway, a quick hunt on google brings me to http://www.jibble.org/ukpostcodes/ which has a file to download for the uk postcodes.... Clyde, can this be incorporated please pretty please?

Thanks for the link.

I notice the file does not include the locatioin name for the post code, obviously I would prefer this but I get the feeling this would be better than nothing for UK users.

I will try to include this in the next release of GSAK