Geocachers And Hunters...

see other topic.... policy writing question to get the whole story

The Conservation board has this myth in their heads that if they allow caching in their wildlife areas there will be some ticked off hunters complaining that their hunt was interfered with by cachers.

Anybody come across turkey hunters or bowhunters out caching and were they mad you messed up their hunt by possibly scaring away any animals they were hunting?

This conservation board sees this as a serious problem.

I started caching after the hunting season, so haven't come across any hunters while hunting. But I've run across them while hiking before. They have all been friendly and usually were just ariving at their site. If I ran into them at the end of a day when they didn't even see an animal, it could have been completely different. I've been lucky that I've only run into decent hunters while in the woods.

In Maryland, there are many who never shoot a gun except for the week before hunting season. They are never in the woods, except for hunting season. I've met a couple of these types that have told me of shooting at a sound, or getting a glimpse of something and popping off a shot.

I know these are in the minority, but they are enough to keep me out of the woods during hunting season in this area. Bow hunters seem to be entirely different, maybe it's that they require so much more practice to be deadly with a bow. It may be that they have to be so much closer to their target. Either way, I've never met an irresponsible bow hunter.

F_M

I've only by geocaching a short time but I've hunted a long time and have been in and around the woods all my life. In general Geocachers would likely be less disruptive to hunters than alot of other other people out there. There are all sorts of motorized vehicles out there, quads, dirt bikes, 4 wheelers that hunters absolutely hate.

I don't see how they can prohibit geocaching on the basis that your going to tick off the hunters unless the land in question is limited to only hunters.

This is a different point about hunters, but I thought you might enjoy the story. A buddy and I had an interesting experience on a cache trip this winter. We were WAY BACK in the boonies in the mountains of CO and to our knowlege we were not in any hunting seasons, when we encountered a grizzled old hunter carrying a couple of shouldered high-powered rifles coming at us. We acted non-chalant, but we could tell he wasn't too happy to have been seen by anyone. We said "hi" and he gave us a piercing glance - it was a definite "Tell anybody you saw me and die" look. When we got home just out of curiousity we looked up the hunting seasons and sure enough there probably wasn't any good reason for someone to be carrying a high-powered rifle back in there, unless he didn't like any shooting ranges less than a 5 mile hike from the nearest road!

Hmmmmm.... who could potentially be more destructive to hunting, people hiking with an electronic gadget, or poachers.... :D

From a hunter to the cachers, from what I've seen I'd much prefer to run into a cacher than a tree hugger/anti-gun/anti-hunters anyday. From what I have read about you guys (I'm still VERY new lol) you guys don't want to be seen so its not a big deal if you come across me while I'm hunting but the others I mentioned can be a real pain in the butt & interfering with A hunter in the state of cali is illegal according to the fish & game. This is for those that see hunters & purposly scare off game & interfere with a hunt NOT running into a hunter & moving on.

I'm a long-time hunter in PA and sometimes, as it seems, the formula is: More people moving around in woods = more wildlife spotted. I used to get upset when I would take the time to get up absurdly early to be the first in the woods, only to see some one else stumble into the woods at 9:00 am. But the more it happened, the "luckier" I got!!!! I've tagged more game on Saturdays than any other day. And it's because there are more people moving the deer around. So every time I see someone walking around, I get ready for some action. It never fails! If any hunter ever gets mad about you being in the woods while they are hunting, just remind them that people usually "bump" deer to other hunters and they should be happy that you are moving the deer around. The only reason I say all this is because a 4-wheeler "helped" me bag my first bow-killed buck! Thanks - whoever you were!

I also told them that cachers are good for wildlife areas since they will pick up and take out the trash that the hunters leave all over from spent shells, shotgun shell boxes, lunch trash, etc.

Most hunters don't pick up spent shells.

I had the same experience bowhunting, I could hear some hikers walking around on some trails and they bumped 2 deer within 15 yards of my stand. They were both fawns or yearlings so of course I passed on them, but they actually helped my hunt.

i'm a lifelong hunter and have been caching since june 2001. as far as hunter/cacher interactions go just use a little common sense. if you come to an area where hunting is allowed and there is a hunting season currently going on (see your states wildlife resources web page) be aware of hunters. that is to say, if the parking area is full of vehicles with empty gun cases or other evidence of hunting then seek a cache somewhere else. if you are in the woods and see a hunter, quietly make your presence known (ie softly whistle). once you have his attention just wave and move on. please wear a blaze orange hat or outerwear during hunting season. with a little consideration there should be no problems. just my 2 cents. -harry

The Conservation board has this myth in their heads that if they allow caching in their wildlife areas there will be some ticked off hunters complaining that their hunt was interfered with by cachers. 

By that logic, they should ban any non-hunters from the wildlife areas. Geocachers are no different from hikers, bird watchers and other outdoors enthusiats who may be abroad on these lands during hunting season.

Maybe they picture hordes of geocachers wandering the woods looking for caches. Since wildlife areas are likely to be slightly more remote and rugged than a town park, it's likely that the caches will get very few visits to begin with. Besides, I bet that there are already dozens of caches in these wildlife areas and they have co-existed with hunters for quite some time without problems.

Edited by briansnat
I'm a long-time hunter in PA and sometimes, as it seems, the formula is: More people moving around in woods = more wildlife spotted. I used to get upset when I would take the time to get up absurdly early to be the first in the woods, only to see some one else stumble into the woods at 9:00 am. But the more it happened, the "luckier" I got!!!! I've tagged more game on Saturdays than any other day. And it's because there are more people moving the deer around. So every time I see someone walking around, I get ready for some action. It never fails! If any hunter ever gets mad about you being in the woods while they are hunting, just remind them that people usually "bump" deer to other hunters and they should be happy that you are moving the deer around. The only reason I say all this is because a 4-wheeler "helped" me bag my first bow-killed buck! Thanks - whoever you were!

Also a hunter in PA, and agree completely. Deer (that's all I hunt) have no reason to move around unless someone is out there forcing them to move. They'll just lie under trees all day until someone kicks them out.

So, no, I wouldn't mind at all. I would liken it to running into another hunter coming into the woods. Just one more person kicking the wildlife around.

I've ran into hunters on a couple different occasions while out caching and none of them have ever appeared to be irritated with my presence. One asked me if I was bird watching. I replied in the affirmative and continued on my way.

Additionally, being a huntress myself I feel I can say that as long as your not thrashing through the woods making all kinds of noise and terrorizing the game, it shouldn't be an issue.

One point though . . . and I hope that I don't need to stress this point . . . if you are out during hunting season or not sure if it is hunting season >>> wear blaze orange. If you are uncomfortable caching during hunting season then cache on Sunday . . . most states do not allow hunting on Sunday.

Happy caching and stuff! :D

If you are uncomfortable caching during hunting season then cache on Sunday . . . most states do not allow hunting on Sunday.

What states don't allow hunting on Sunday? I don't think thats true. Most people only hunt the weekends. I'd say your MUCH less likely to see hunters midweek than on the weekends. Unless its the opening week of the season.

If you are uncomfortable caching during hunting season then cache on Sunday . . . most states do not allow hunting on Sunday. 

What states don't allow hunting on Sunday? I don't think thats true. Most people only hunt the weekends. I'd say your MUCH less likely to see hunters midweek than on the weekends. Unless its the opening week of the season.

Connecticut and New Jersey both do not allow hunting on Sunday.

Never had a problem with it, but I placed my first cache on private property, near a really good spot for a tree stand. In my cache description, I included a warning that it might be a good idea to wear blaze orange while caching during hunting season, and I just decided to add a note saying there is a couple of blaze orange vests available to borrow at the house near the starting point.

I've been to a cache out in the middle of nowhere that had as part of its contents quite a few "hunting supplies," that are probably proscripted by the rules, but make practical sense in that particular area.

Good lord! Mental note: Don't move to CT or PA. That's un-American!

I'm pretty sure you can at least partially add Alabama, Delaware, Mass, Maine, Ohio, PA, Virginia, West Virgina, Rhode Island, New York, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina and Maryland and most National Wildlife Refuges to that list. Probably others.

Edited by Mopar
see other topic.... policy writing question to get the whole story

Anybody come across turkey hunters or bowhunters out caching and were they mad you messed up their hunt by possibly scaring away any animals they were hunting?

This conservation board sees this as a serious problem.

Northwood,

Ive twice came upon hunters while caching.

One was a drunken bow hunter, that came down from his tree stand to tell me Im tresspassing on his property. I don't think I was because I turned and parelled the creek that the signs seemed to be posted along (no fence, just these tiny green signs on slim metal poles every so often), and if I was it had to be by less than 200ft. This guy was beat red in the face, reeked of booze, had visiable empty cans scattered about under the stand, and had a slight stager in what movement I was him do. So he gets down and stands off about 10ft and in loud (loud but not yelling) how im tresspassing, and everyone always doing it, and me and everyone else are always spoiling it for him. I appogize for being on his property, and ask where the park properties is. He just waves his hand and says back that way, and goes back to saying ive spoiled his hunt, and wont see anything now, and he might as well leave cuz im an idiot etc. I get tired of rambleing say sorry again and turn and leave. I could still here is talking to himself, and then clanking metal (the stand? or something from the gear bag??) up about .20mi.

Any spoilering I may have done was compounded by this guy.

The other time I meant hunters was when coming to edge of a low plateau along a river bottom area. This area had no maintained trails, so I found the gentlest sloped open area to go down. From the top of this thing I can see two guys, when I get down there (its not that far), I find two hunters (father son looks like). We trad hellos, I ask how the huntings going they show me the couple squirrel they gotten. When the father guy finds out Im just 'hiking', he asked if I've seen any game and where at. I tell him of the few rabbits and continue on my way. They go up the way I came down.

I personally avoid all public hunting area on opening pheasent weekend, and all or most of 1st and 2nd Shotgun deer season (I deer hunt on with my father on his buddy's farm). I know many cachers also avoid area with hunters present or wearing blaze orange when they do cache, the red bird cache comes to minde. I also put notices on my caches in areas that allow hunting, and often include the shotgun dates. Why couldn't just including "do not seek on these dates X" work?

I don't think any cachers would purposely interfer with hunter/trappers, and if they do can't they be arrested under Iowa law? :D

I told them also that I post a note stating when a hunting season is open and also to wear blaze orange in the fall and early winter during hunting seasons.

Believe it or not one of the board memebers actually said that the note is just asking for trouble and tells them they could get shot, and they don't even want to risk the chance.

Like we go out and hoot and holler and make a bunch of noise, maybe if we are a FTF, but other than that.

I hunt fin, feather, fur, and caches. So far, I haven't had a conflict either way.

Hunters really don't have much room to complain about someone stomping around in the boonies doing whatever they are doing as long as it all is on public lands open to the general public. Just because there's game in season doesn't give the hunting community exclusive rights to those areas unless the managers of those areas (such as state park wildlife areas) have restrictions in place. Those restrictions are legal. Locally, there are state park areas around me that restrict use during some hunting seasons or predetermined dates that have nothing at all to do with hunting.

Now there are laws in some states against knowingly interfering with a lawful hunt. That includes knowing that the hunter is there, and behaving in such way as to chase away his quarry, or place yourself so that you are crowding him. Those laws were brought about in some states primarily because of actions taken by "animal rights" activists who did take action to prevent people from hunting.

I've ran into hunters on a couple different occasions while out caching and none of them have ever appeared to be irritated with my presence.  One asked me if I was bird watching.  I replied in the affirmative and continued on my way. 

Additionally, being a huntress myself I feel I can say that as long as your not thrashing through the woods making all kinds of noise and terrorizing the game, it shouldn't be an issue.

One point though . . . and I hope that I don't need to stress this point . . . if you are out during hunting season or not sure if it is hunting season >>> wear blaze orange.  If you are uncomfortable caching during hunting season then cache on Sunday . . . most states do not allow hunting on Sunday. 

Happy caching and stuff:P

Couldn't of said better myself GeoHo. Also being a huntress (unless my son has my rifle). Just remember too,NEVER wear brown you could get shot.

The thing is I've ran into alot of "jerks" that call themselves hunters. I like to call them "city hunters". Like the ones that tries to claim the trophy buck you just shot. :D

Edited by IronMaiden
Good lord! Mental note: Don't move to CT or PA. That's un-American!

I'm pretty sure you can at least partially add Alabama, Delaware, Mass, Maine, Ohio, PA, Virginia, West Virgina, Rhode Island, New York, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina and Maryland and most National Wildlife Refuges to that list. Probably others.

NY Allows Sunday hunting - And you CAN get a carry permit, IF you live outside of NYC and environs - It depends on your county

...snip... I like to call them "city hunters". Like the ones that tries to claim the trophy buck you just shot. :D

Ah....

Some "City Hunters" are better hunters than some of the country folks. Dad lives in the city, and has hunted the same area every year for the last 64 years, less the time he was on Uncle Sams tour of Europe - Last year was probably his least year due to health

Both of us are welcomed by the "locals" with open arms- we are sort of "honorary locals" - they know us by name, know our kids. We show up and HELP people. I was taught woodcraft by Dad and the folks up there. I not only had to pass the states "Hunter education" course, but my Dad's long time hunting buddy was the instructor, and I had to pass HIS tests, which included watching me in the woods for years

So please, don't lump all "Bad hunters" with "City Hunters"