Steal A Pen

tlg

A new cache recently appeared near me and the first line of the description reads:

"Steal a pen from somewhere and exchange it for another."

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel this was an odd thing to approve? The cache itself is an interesting idea, but I think this description sends out a wrong signal.

I don't know.......I just bought a car and the pen I used at the Nissan dealership (2000 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4x4=Geocache City) was a nice blue ink Pilot. My salesman never asked for it back and I decided, hey I just spent a crap load of money here, I'm keeping the d*&^ pen! Of course, I'm not leaving it in a cache though.

A new cache recently appeared near me and the first line of the description reads:

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel this was an odd thing to approve? The cache itself is an interesting idea, but I think this description sends out a wrong signal.

So don't hunt it.

Other than that, get on with life.

So don't hunt it.

I'm not going to hunt it (and not because of the pen requirement) and I'm constantly getting on with life, thank you.

I was just thinking that someone, somewhere, who has a beef against geocaching is going to latch onto something like this and use to as part of an anti-geocaching arguement. Does the hobby need bad press? I don't think so.

Go some where that has pens(almost everywhere),tell the person I have to take this pen(Steal)to log a find on this specific cache..

I bet you $$$$$$$$$ they will do it for you and you do not have to feel guilty.

I do it all the time and they just laugh and know whatzup.

Especially the local,DR,Pharmacist,Wal-mart,lube-go,It's advertisement for them.

Go some where that has pens(almost everywhere),tell the person I have to take this pen(Steal)to log a find on this specific cache..

Or go into a business and ask if they have any pens with their name/address info on it. Then ask for one, and if they want to know why tell them you need it to trade to a friend and you need a [insert business name here] logoed item.

I need more information. How about a link to the cache page or the number of the cache?

This may be a tongue-in-cheek comment that is being misunderstood. The word "steal" may have intended to be in quotation marks. Is there anything else in the description that would indicate that this is the case?

RichardMoore

This reminds me of a recent log I made about the origins of a pen in a cache. :)

So don't hunt it.

I'm not going to hunt it (and not because of the pen requirement) and I'm constantly getting on with life, thank you.

I was just thinking that someone, somewhere, who has a beef against geocaching is going to latch onto something like this and use to as part of an anti-geocaching arguement. Does the hobby need bad press? I don't think so.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll see Jeremy being led away in handcuffs on CNN for this one.

There are plenty of things to worry about and this isn't one of them.

Go have some fun! Your hands will only get sore from all that wringing... :)

If you need a legal place to get a pen to trade, just visit this cache.

A recently archived cache titled New Logo was built around this theme with all kinds of goodies not just pens. :o

Now back O/T- I doubt the cache owner meant go into Tiffany's and steal an 18K gold pen that's on sale for $too much. Logo pens are all over the place and as has already been mentioned are free advertising for the companies. That's why they buy them in the first place. As a small business owner I get junk mail for logo items in the mail daily; frequently with free samples. Sometimes they even spell my restaurant's name correctly! :)

I need more information. How about a link to the cache page or the number of the cache?

This may be a tongue-in-cheek comment that is being misunderstood. The word "steal" may have intended to be in quotation marks. Is there anything else in the description that would indicate that this is the case?

RichardMoore

My question's not really about the cache, so I don't see the point in giving a link to it. I was just wondering if caches should be approved that instruct the finder to steal something. And just because they're pens in this case, doesn't negate the fact that theft is theft.

Go have some fun! Your hands will only get sore from all that wringing... :o

Geez, I'd hate to see my 30 bucks going towards Jeremy's bail. :)

I'm not worried and I'm not wringing my hands. We fight to kept the news from using "buried", I'd hate to see them start saying that we advocate stealing.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel this was an odd thing to approve?  The cache itself is an interesting idea, but I think this description sends out a wrong signal.

i like it.might be fun :)

Edited by rover-r-us

Go have some fun!  Your hands will only get sore from all that wringing... :o

Geez, I'd hate to see my 30 bucks going towards Jeremy's bail. :)

I'm not worried and I'm not wringing my hands. We fight to kept the news from using "buried", I'd hate to see them start saying that we advocate stealing.

That's just it, we don't advocate stealing, or anything else. If this particular cache does (I don't think it does) that still doesn't mean geocaching.com endorses it. That's called a stereotype. If I claimed that a certain race was tight with their money, or thieves, or lazy, I would be immediately branded a racist. I would be prejudiced against those entire groups base on the action of one.

So for argument sake, say this cache requires you to steal a pen, and Joe Newsreporter hears of it. Is he going to write an article in the paper claiming that all geocachers are thieves, and geocaches are full of stolen items?

No, he’s going to look for some real news.

Nothing to worry about, right?

Perhaps it was the term steal that offended some with a more refined lifestyle than mine. Maybe the hider could have substituted 'covertly obtain' or 'acquire through extraodinary means' or from the service 'scrounge' it all means the same and like kitchen magnets businesses would not put the company name on it if they did not want you to take it.

If this is all we have to worry about we should all be smiling. :)

Edited by Dan Vull

If it makes you feel any better, you can have one of my pens. I've got a whole drawer full of 'em

Criminal says: So for argument sake, say this cache requires you to steal a pen, and Joe Newsreporter hears of it. Is he going to write an article in the paper claiming that all geocachers are thieves, and geocaches are full of stolen items?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Haven't you ever been interviewed by the press and quoted out of context? I agree with you that it would be a stereotype however the press often relies on sensationalism for headlines. Gee, I guess that is a stereotype as well. :)

Anyway I agree with 'tlg', using the word 'steal' is potentially bad press. Wish he would post the cache so that we could see how much of a mountain is being made of this molehill. BTW: Don't forget, molehills trip and break the legs of even the most mighty of beasts.

Anyway I agree with 'tlg', using the word 'steal' is potentially bad press. Wish he would post the cache so that we could see how much of a mountain is being made of this molehill. BTW: Don't forget, molehills trip and break the legs of even the most mighty of beasts.

It really is a molehill and I don't want to upset the cache owner by pointing out his/her cache. I just thought it odd to approve the "steal a pen" line.

Criminal says: So for argument sake, say this cache requires you to steal a pen, and Joe Newsreporter hears of it. Is he going to write an article in the paper claiming that all geocachers are thieves, and geocaches are full of stolen items?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Haven't you ever been interviewed by the press and quoted out of context? I agree with you that it would be a stereotype however the press often relies on sensationalism for headlines. Gee, I guess that is a stereotype as well. :)

The answer is NO. Nobody is going to write such an article.

Anyway I agree with 'tlg', using the word 'steal' is potentially bad press.  Wish he would post the cache so that we could see how much of a mountain is being made of this molehill.  BTW:  Don't forget, molehills trip and break the legs of even the most mighty of beasts.

It really is a molehill and I don't want to upset the cache owner by pointing out his/her cache. I just thought it odd to approve the "steal a pen" line.

Would it be inappropriate to call a cache "nuclear missile" then too?

Officer: What are you looking for?

Cacher: The nuclear missle cache is hidden under a tree 0.2 miles from here

Officer: You wait here, I'm going to call this one in...

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

You can call your cache whatever name you deem fit (and try to run it past the approvers).

What's your point? We're not discussing cache names.

I am thinking that the person who placed this cache is wanting promotional pens from places. My bank always has jars of free pens with their logo on them in the lobby. That's not stealing, since my bank put them there for customers. :)

I don't think the hider meant "steal" a person's pen literally. It looks like he was using "steal" more along the lines of acquiring/getting/asking for a promo pen.

Just my .02 :o

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel this was an odd thing to approve?  The cache itself is an interesting idea, but I think this description sends out a wrong signal.

I am thinking that the person who placed this cache is wanting promotional pens from places. My bank always has jars of free pens with their logo on them in the lobby. That's not stealing, since my bank put them there for customers. :)

I don't think the hider meant "steal" a person's pen literally. It looks like he was using "steal" more along the lines of acquiring/getting/asking for a promo pen.

Exactly. Banks know people "steal" pens. One bank around here even advertises "We unchained the pens" because we know that sometimes you just need one.

Oh, but yes we are discussing names. The "Steal A Pen" cache is not appropriate, according to you. That's what this thread is about.

I never once said the cache was inappropriate. If fact, I said "the cache itself is an interesting idea." I was discussing the cache page instruction to "steal a pen". That's what this thread is about.

The cache could be called "The Sky is Orange" for all that names matter.

Officer: What are you looking for?

Cacher: The nuclear missle cache is hidden under a tree 0.2 miles from here

Officer: You wait here, I'm going to call this one in...

And we're off to another geocaching adventure. Sounds like fun. What's the coords?

:)

Oh, but yes we are discussing names. The "Steal A Pen" cache is not appropriate, according to you. That's what this thread is about.

I never once said the cache was inappropriate. If fact, I said "the cache itself is an interesting idea." I was discussing the cache page instruction to "steal a pen". That's what this thread is about.

The cache could be called "The Sky is Orange" for all that names matter.

You're arguing about naming conventions. The particular one is "steal". "steal" can mean more than just "theft". Look past the first definition:

steal

1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.

2. To get or effect surreptitiously or artfully: steal a kiss; stole the ball from an opponent.

3. To move, carry, or place surreptitiously.

4. To draw attention unexpectedly in (an entertainment), especially by being the outstanding performer: The magician's assistant stole the show with her comic antics.

5. Baseball. To advance safely to (another base) during the delivery of a pitch, without the aid of a base hit, walk, passed ball, or wild pitch.

Ok, here is the solution. Keep the cache theme exactly the same (trade promo pens). Instead of the word steal use any of the below:

abduct, appropriate, bag, carry off, cozen, crib, despoil, divert, embezzle, filch, fleece, heist, keep, kidnap, lift, loot, misappropriate, nick, peculate, pilfer, pillage, pinch, pirate, plunder, poach, purloin, ransack, remove, rifle, rip off, sack, shanghai, shoplift, snitch, spirit away, swipe, take, or withdraw

Problem solved. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

You're arguing about naming conventions. The particular one is "steal". "steal" can mean more than just "theft". Look past the first definition:

This has nothing to do with names or whatever bizarre interpretation of the phrase "steal a pen" you might have. Now run along.

I think that's exactly what the cache is about now that you mention it. Thank you. I never thought about it like that.

I wonder how long this thread would get if the cache name was " GO JUMP OFF A BRIDGE" :)

I think the word "STEAL" is being used rather loosely here. I have several pens from work sitting here on my desk so I guess I stole those too. oh oh....... :o I've also been known to "STEAL" a kiss from my wife from time to time too :)

Now if they instructed me to steal a car and leave the keys in the cache I'd be suspicious :P

I think that's exactly what the cache is about now that you mention it. Thank you. I never thought about it like that.

Isn't that what I was asking about a couple hours ago?

Geez, just because Imajika has a cuter avatar than I do... :)

RichardMoore

Ok, here is the solution. Keep the cache theme exactly the same (trade promo pens). Instead of the word steal use any of the below:

abduct, appropriate, bag, carry off, cozen, crib, despoil, divert, embezzle, filch, fleece, heist, keep, kidnap, lift, loot, misappropriate, nick, peculate, pilfer, pillage, pinch, pirate, plunder, poach, purloin, ransack, remove, rifle, rip off, sack, shanghai, shoplift, snitch, spirit away, swipe, take, or withdraw

Problem solved. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :o

You forgot grab, nab, kype, and glom onto. :)

abduct, appropriate, bag, carry off, cozen, crib, despoil, divert, embezzle, filch, fleece, heist, keep, kidnap, lift, loot, misappropriate, nick, peculate, pilfer, pillage, pinch, pirate,  plunder, poach, purloin, ransack, remove, rifle, rip off, sack, shanghai, shoplift, snitch, spirit away, swipe, take, or withdraw

Problem solved. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :o

I like the word purloin....sounds sinuous, sensual, sinful.... Nevermind :)

woof has been gone all week :P

So don't hunt it.

You have to excuse old Criminal, he only gets PO'd about other people getting PO'd.

IMHO: The approvers are getting really picky about a lot of trivial things, and delaying or denying approvals with some regularity (annoying when the cache owner has actually walked the ground and the approver is not even in our time zone) They can get picky about "steal a pen".

Want a pen cache, groovy. Even in jest, this language on a website is really capable of falling into the wrong hands and being used against us. I agree with you, and support your right to be concerned.

Just my .02 :P

My point has been made. Run along now :o:)

abduct, appropriate, bag, carry off, cozen, crib, despoil, divert, embezzle, filch, fleece, heist, keep, kidnap, lift, loot, misappropriate, nick, peculate, pilfer, pillage, pinch, pirate,  plunder, poach, purloin, ransack, remove, rifle, rip off, sack, shanghai, shoplift, snitch, spirit away, swipe, take, or withdraw

Problem solved. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

what about "hork?" that's a good word. right now i think the media is more interested in martha stewarts indiscretions, than a few cachers "horking" pens. :o